Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 26. ✿ - - - Boys
Maybe this is just a weird comment, but what do you think?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:51 pm
So this is kinda random, and probably means absolutely nothing, but I really enjoy over thinking when it comes to everything, so yeah.

ANYWAY, the other day I was talking to one of my guy friends, he asked what I was doing, I replied with a picture of a blanket I'm crocheting, and he then responds by saying that I'll make a good house-wife (also he complimented my crafty-ness).
But back up a little there to the house-wife comment.
It was kinda strange, and it's not the first time that I've gotten that comment (from the same person)

I don't even know how to take that lol. I mean I guess it's a compliment?
Any opinions ladies?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:10 pm
Knitting is a useful skill to have, especially in the household and employment too-if you are into fashion. My birthday: Monday  

yummycupcakessparkles

12,950 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

CocoDainty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 am
I'm very fond of cooking and baking. I like to make big proper meals, and I also make traditional cakes and tarts now and then. It's a talent passed down to me by my Mother and her side of the family. I also work part time as a cleaner. A lot of my friends, also guys and old boyfriends, have said similar comments like that.

Through stereotypes, these are considered 'feminine' skills. It can be a bit sexist (as not all women do these 'domestic' jobs, and some men do!) but I've also found that this is seen as a good thing, and good skills to have. Some guys find that this 'feminine role' is attractive. I'd take it as a compliment, like cupcakes said, it's a useful skill to have and a hobby that makes you happy. Don't worry yourself any more of it, I'm sure if it was negative it would be said differently! ♡

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:42 am
I personally hate those kinds of "compliments". I guess I always see them as like, a sexist thing to say. Like, the person saying it isn't even considering what type of person I am- because if they knew me at all, they would know that I'm definitely NOT like that. For instance, my grandma called me "elegant" and I just wanted to scream. I'm about as far away from elegant as a person could be, yet I'm supposed to take this clearly untrue thing as a compliment because why? It's a traditionally ladylike thing to be and I'm technically a girl? That's dumb. If you want to compliment me, say something like, "Hey, you're smart." or "You're a good artist." or "You have a nice personality." or SOMETHING as long as it actually relates to me in some way. ><
/rant

Lol, sorry about that. I got a little ragey.. Heh.. sweatdrop  

Ittarius

Noble Traveler

diet bepis

Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:13 am
That is so not a compliment...he probably meant it as one, but that would make me so insanely mad because I feel like it reduces girls to the 'homemaker' identity, as if we can't be anything else... and it assumes that that is what we WANT to be...
Dunno. Stuff like that always makes me a bit angry. :
gaia_kittenstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:13 am
I'm sure it is meant to be a compliment. If you don't like it than let him know, but I have gotten comments like that before and I never minded them.  

ChiffaniChan

Aged Gaian

8,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
26. ✿ - - - Boys

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items