Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Muggle World (Chatterbox)
I WROTE A COMPUTER PROGRAM FOR QUIDDITCH?! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am
If you were a captain or vice captain of a Quidditch team, have you battled yourself over your bias in deciding who to pick as start player? Do you have another character as well, and you don't want to look like a jerk and hog all the spots? Are you a regular Quidditch member wanting a 100% objective decision in who gets to be the starting players?

Look no further!

Because I friggin' coded a program that would calculate the amount of Quidditch points each character would get based on the roleplayer's activity and the character's modifiers.

How I calculate modifiers: It is a linear function. Simple.

How I calculate activity: This is harder. A linear function doesn't quite fit, and I wanted to give more points to those who post significantly more (1 post vs 10), so I came up with a polynomial equation that would curve the points in favor of those with higher posting numbers.

How I bashed them together: I wanted to put more emphasis on the modifiers, because I realize that the nature of quidditch has a bias towards the upperclassmen, who are significantly more skilled than the underclassmen. I opted for a 60-40 percentage for modifiers-activity, but, of course, this ratio can be easily changed.

Here are some test runs I went through:

Comparing activity differences with the same mods.
Modi: 7

Modi: 7

Comparing low mods with high activity and high mods with low activity.
Modi: 2

Modi: 2

Modi: 8

Modi: 8

Obviously, I don't think this point system should be the only way a captain or vice captain decides who should be the starting player. But it objectifies and quantifies some parameters that are otherwise hard to consider and differentiate. What do you guys think? Valuable? Waste of time? Any other variables that should be taken into account?

What I'm thinking currently: Maybe I will rewrite the modifiers into a curved system as well. How much curve, I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:07 am
You wrote a computer program? Can I ask what program you wrote it on? It sounds very interesting because I take computer science in college.  

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:08 am
RedEagleEye007
You wrote a computer program? Can I ask what program you wrote it on? It sounds very interesting because I take computer science in college.

Python 3.3.2 because I'm still a nub D:  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:12 am
From what I understood, (again, music major, I surprisingly understand foreign languages I've never studied better), this looks like it'll be a really good idea. I know that I would rather people who post more than people with the best modifiers, simply because Quidditch is boring if nobody posts. I remember quite a few times when Jasmine was on the Slytherin team where she Vanessa and Ronyo would be the only players to show up to a game.

I do have a few questions though. Are the points only going to be used for determining starting players, or will they factor into AC? If we use this program, who would run it, a crew member, or the captain, or the vice-captain?  

a porg
Vice Captain

Anxious Astronomer

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:35 am
Violet the Maestro
From what I understood, (again, music major, I surprisingly understand foreign languages I've never studied better), this looks like it'll be a really good idea. I know that I would rather people who post more than people with the best modifiers, simply because Quidditch is boring if nobody posts. I remember quite a few times when Jasmine was on the Slytherin team where she Vanessa and Ronyo would be the only players to show up to a game.

I do have a few questions though. Are the points only going to be used for determining starting players, or will they factor into AC? If we use this program, who would run it, a crew member, or the captain, or the vice-captain?

I would think at the moment, unless Devil sees some other value in this program, it would just be a factor in deciding the starting players. As to who will run it, I think it should be all the quidditch captains. This program can be run through the command prompt, and I made the directions fairly simple to follow. Since this program has just come into existence within the past 24 hours, I would hold off on declaring this program to be used for *all* quidditch teams. I'm using the Rav tryouts as the guinea pigs. We'll see how much my opinion based on previous tryouts would compare to the numbers this thing spits at me.

Edit: Or go through tryouts while 100% relying on this program and see how Rav does this year. eue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:39 pm
Utsuha Moon
RedEagleEye007

Python 3.3.2 because I'm still a nub D:

You aren't a nub for that. It is good that you are programming though. smile I actually wanted to see if I can write one in with java script. Just to do it of course. I look forward to seeing your program in the future though. See how it works because I personally think it is a solid idea.  

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:08 pm
RedEagleEye007
You aren't a nub for that. It is good that you are programming though. smile I actually wanted to see if I can write one in with java script. Just to do it of course. I look forward to seeing your program in the future though. See how it works because I personally think it is a solid idea.

Thank you. Q3Q
If you want to write more programs, or refine my coding, you are definitely welcomed to do so. <3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:05 pm
Utsuha Moon
RedEagleEye007

Thank you. Q3Q
If you want to write more programs, or refine my coding, you are definitely welcomed to do so. <3

I could definitely do that. I'll write some coding and run them by you every now and again. I could potentially write some for any subject, like Quidditch, Dueling, any competition at all honestly. I'd have to conduct it from my own computer though, mainly because I use an app that runs the code for errors and what not. But ill write them in case we ever want to use them. smile  

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:28 pm
Violet the Maestro

I mean, coming from a member with no authority to his name, after reading into all the Quidditch rules and what not, I personally think this should effect the AC. Only because it really takes activity into account compared as well as complete ability. I know that activity is more of an out of role at thing but good, faithful members should be rewarded nonetheless. That's just what I think. Don't laugh at my opinion. razz  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 pm
RedEagleEye007
I could definitely do that. I'll write some coding and run them by you every now and again. I could potentially write some for any subject, like Quidditch, Dueling, any competition at all honestly. I'd have to conduct it from my own computer though, mainly because I use an app that runs the code for errors and what not. But ill write them in case we ever want to use them. smile

Yesssss (o3o)/
Join in this nerdage with me~!

Also on your other comment. If this point thingy would affect the AC, I would think it would be minimal to avoid needless spamming some (not all, just some) people may take advantage of. Plus, we wouldn't want this extra boost in AC to negate people's hard-earned modifiers. In addition, the complicated process of deciding how many points equals +1 to your AC is insanely bias towards the chasers, and potentially the beaters, and highly biased against the keepers. For every keeper post, there is at least fifteen chaser post (in one instance, there was almost sixty chaser posts back and forth without one keeper or seeker post). Even if I wrote five different conditionals for all positions, there is no guarantee that there's absolute fairness, unless I set up complicated rules that just make everyone go "GAAH."

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:19 pm
Utsuha Moon
RedEagleEye007

Yesssss (o3o)/
Join in this nerdage with me~!

Also on your other comment. If this point thingy would affect the AC, I would think it would be minimal to avoid needless spamming some (not all, just some) people may take advantage of. Plus, we wouldn't want this extra boost in AC to negate people's hard-earned modifiers. In addition, the complicated process of deciding how many points equals +1 to your AC is insanely bias towards the chasers, and potentially the beaters, and highly biased against the keepers. For every keeper post, there is at least fifteen chaser post (in one instance, there was almost sixty chaser posts back and forth without one keeper or seeker post). Even if I wrote five different conditionals for all positions, there is no guarantee that there's absolute fairness, unless I set up complicated rules that just make everyone go "GAAH."

Let the nerdage begin smile . And I definitely do see what you are saying with this. I could try to write five seperate codes full of conditional statements for each basically saying, if it is over a certain number the amount it takes into effect drops as it increases, keeping a fine line that does gradually increase but doesn't increase at the rate it did once. (Much like your polynomial equation you presented), but rather it instead of being a polynomial, it be more of just a square root function.(but not as steep as well at the beginning).

I do like the idea. And we can definitely brainstorm about it sometime. This seems like an interesting project that I would like to take on.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm
RedEagleEye007
Violet the Maestro

I mean, coming from a member with no authority to his name, after reading into all the Quidditch rules and what not, I personally think this should effect the AC. Only because it really takes activity into account compared as well as complete ability. I know that activity is more of an out of role at thing but good, faithful members should be rewarded nonetheless. That's just what I think. Don't laugh at my opinion. razz

No authority? Dude, you're a member. That's got some authority. Not as much as me, but it's got some. We like listening to the members. You guys have good ideas.

I honestly both pros and cons to this. Because right now, you can probably count your characters on one hand. Meanwhile, I've got quite a few, plus I post a bit in crew stuff and out of character things like this. Say you've got a Natural Flyer with a Quidditch captain parent who could fly before they could walk, and I've got an adventurous Muggleborn who has absolutely no idea what they're doing. Because I've been here for years and have had so many characters, your character, which should be able to easily defeat mine, would be no match, thereby creating an unrealistic game nearly every time our characters faced each other.

I do think that you brought up a good point about rewarding people who are faithful. I just think that maybe there should be some limitation on how it should affect AC if it does so.  

a porg
Vice Captain

Anxious Astronomer

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:09 pm
Violet the Maestro
RedEagleEye007
Violet the Maestro

No authority? Dude, you're a member. That's got some authority. Not as much as me, but it's got some. We like listening to the members. You guys have good ideas.

I honestly both pros and cons to this. Because right now, you can probably count your characters on one hand. Meanwhile, I've got quite a few, plus I post a bit in crew stuff and out of character things like this. Say you've got a Natural Flyer with a Quidditch captain parent who could fly before they could walk, and I've got an adventurous Muggleborn who has absolutely no idea what they're doing. Because I've been here for years and have had so many characters, your character, which should be able to easily defeat mine, would be no match, thereby creating an unrealistic game nearly every time our characters faced each other.

I do think that you brought up a good point about rewarding people who are faithful. I just think that maybe there should be some limitation on how it should affect AC if it does so.

Okay, I see what you are saying. So some intangibles need to be taken into effect. because obviously someone like that could by no means win in the situation. There should definitely be limitation on how it effects it, but I think it could effect it to a small degree.

Lol i definitely could count my characters on one hand. My one character. BUt I do think longevity should be rewarded to some degree, whether it is minute or not. Maybe there could be a new factor to the AC, like an intangible section (I do know about the more than average Quidditch Experience thing but this is a little different). Like you say about the whole someone who has a quidditch father, is athletic, etc. thing, but all it has in effect in it it looks like is if someone applies for the more than average. So an intangibles section could boost someone a little up so maybe that little first year with an amazing knowledge of the game itself who is much more capable than say, a third year muggleborn who still needs to grasp the concepts just a little more and isn't 'the ideal type of player' can beat that third year out.

I would say give this intangible section and leave it at the discression of the captains with a second decision behind it as well from someone assigned to it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 pm
Violet the Maestro

I think you misunderstood me, Vi. o3o It would not create an unrealistic match, because the activity measured is solely within one thread. For instance, the quidditch program I wrote I included a specific set of instructions as to how to count the number of posts: It is from when the quaffles are released until the end of tryouts. Just that. Therefore, a new member with a first year who posted in that thread 10 times should easily beat a veteran member with a seventh year who posted in that thread only once. I would assume the AC would be impact based on the tryout activity. Hence why it's easier to apply these types of program to quidditch, rather than, say, the battling system. Or else I demand that Chase gets an AC of 500. D<

RedEagleEye007

Ahahaha have fun writing those. D: *swims in her lazy corner*
The only problem I see with your "intangible" section would be some members would abuse it. Call me cynical, but I know everybody wants their characters to be special in one aspect or another. For those trying out in quidditch, some may feel inclined to say that they're athletic, that they know quidditch, etc. But the problem with that is the definition of athleticism is subjective. For instance, I think the people who can run a mile are athletic, but to an Olympic swimmer, that's like eating a piece of pie.

As of now, the system is set in a rigid ladder that allows a player on roughly equal grounds to work their way upward. If an ambiguous intangible system is created, then I fear that its perks would eventually become meaningless. How so? Simply, people would want to look for ways to increase their modifiers, as many of the current roleplayers involved in quidditch do. In addition, because we set no limit as to how many times a player can edit their biography, as long as it gets checked by a Profile Checker and the edits fall within the rules and concepts of Hogwarts, it would most likely be accepted. As a result, they may freely edit their character's biography to tailor him or her to be better fit for quidditch. It is, in a sense, cheating, but they have the full right to do it.

We assume (or at least, I do) that those characters who want to get involved in quidditch know the sport to some degree. A muggleborn first year would most likely become a reserve player, and through the non-roleplayed practices, they can get just as good and even surpass their pure and/or half blood counterparts.

All in all, I just see too many potential problems with this section to have it implemented now or in the near future. This is just my opinion though.

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

a porg
Vice Captain

Anxious Astronomer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:19 pm
Utsuha Moon
Violet the Maestro

I think you misunderstood me, Vi. o3o It would not create an unrealistic match, because the activity measured is solely within one thread. For instance, the quidditch program I wrote I included a specific set of instructions as to how to count the number of posts: It is from when the quaffles are released until the end of tryouts. Just that. Therefore, a new member with a first year who posted in that thread 10 times should easily beat a veteran member with a seventh year who posted in that thread only once. I would assume the AC would be impact based on the tryout activity. Hence why it's easier to apply these types of program to quidditch, rather than, say, the battling system. Or else I demand that Chase gets an AC of 500. D<

Ah, that makes more sense. How many times do I have to tell you I'm a music major? I understand cadences not programs.  
Muggle World (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff