Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Muggle World (Chatterbox)
I WROTE A COMPUTER PROGRAM FOR QUIDDITCH?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:21 pm
Utsuha Moon
Violet the Maestro

I think you misunderstood me, Vi. o3o It would not create an unrealistic match, because the activity measured is solely within one thread. For instance, the quidditch program I wrote I included a specific set of instructions as to how to count the number of posts: It is from when the quaffles are released until the end of tryouts. Just that. Therefore, a new member with a first year who posted in that thread 10 times should easily beat a veteran member with a seventh year who posted in that thread only once. I would assume the AC would be impact based on the tryout activity. Hence why it's easier to apply these types of program to quidditch, rather than, say, the battling system. Or else I demand that Chase gets an AC of 500. D<

RedEagleEye007

Ahahaha have fun writing those. D: *swims in her lazy corner*
The only problem I see with your "intangible" section would be some members would abuse it. Call me cynical, but I know everybody wants their characters to be special in one aspect or another. For those trying out in quidditch, some may feel inclined to say that they're athletic, that they know quidditch, etc. But the problem with that is the definition of athleticism is subjective. For instance, I think the people who can run a mile are athletic, but to an Olympic swimmer, that's like eating a piece of pie.

As of now, the system is set in a rigid ladder that allows a player on roughly equal grounds to work their way upward. If an ambiguous intangible system is created, then I fear that its perks would eventually become meaningless. How so? Simply, people would want to look for ways to increase their modifiers, as many of the current roleplayers involved in quidditch do. In addition, because we set no limit as to how many times a player can edit their biography, as long as it gets checked by a Profile Checker and the edits fall within the rules and concepts of Hogwarts, it would most likely be accepted. As a result, they may freely edit their character's biography to tailor him or her to be better fit for quidditch. It is, in a sense, cheating, but they have the full right to do it.

We assume (or at least, I do) that those characters who want to get involved in quidditch know the sport to some degree. A muggleborn first year would most likely become a reserve player, and through the non-roleplayed practices, they can get just as good and even surpass their pure and/or half blood counterparts.

All in all, I just see too many potential problems with this section to have it implemented now or in the near future. This is just my opinion though.

You know what I think would be interesting to. Going along with the intangible thing. Only allow a certain amount of those points go to each team. And the team captain would be allowed to assign based off of their own discretion where and who to put them on(leaving themselves out of it to prevent the allocation of all the points to that one player to make a super player).

It would add something to the team captain position too. And the amount of points you get varies on the position the team finishes in the previous year. I just think it would be cool to do.

I do like the way you guys are doing it now too. Kind of shows the practice makes perfect lifestyle, which is basically how I live. Which I respect. I'm starting to rant on a little bit. I'm always full of ideas. Sorry for my excessive ranting.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:38 pm
RedEagleEye007
You know what I think would be interesting to. Going along with the intangible thing. Only allow a certain amount of those points go to each team. And the team captain would be allowed to assign based off of their own discretion where and who to put them on(leaving themselves out of it to prevent the allocation of all the points to that one player to make a super player).

It would add something to the team captain position too. And the amount of points you get varies on the position the team finishes in the previous year. I just think it would be cool to do.

I do like the way you guys are doing it now too. Kind of shows the practice makes perfect lifestyle, which is basically how I live. Which I respect. I'm starting to rant on a little bit. I'm always full of ideas. Sorry for my excessive ranting.

Hhuehuehuehue I just realized some of my arguments may seem a bit... uh, offensive, if that's the word. Let me clarify. D:

" It is, in a sense, cheating, but they have the full right to do it."
People have the right to edit their profiles, and not to cheat.

"A muggleborn first year would most likely become a reserve player,"
Any first year would most likely become a reserve player, but I specifically used "muggleborn" because I was comparing muggleborns, half bloods, and purebloods of the same year level, though I did not emphasize that.

Back to the topic! I think it's a nice idea for the captain to get more power than just a regular character with an extra fancy title. BUT, I would think that many people would allocate the maximum amount of points needed to their Seekers and Keepers, because why the heck not? A seventh year with a +8 modifier, on top of these extra points, might just go boom, boom, boom, CAUGHT THE SNITCH! And Keepers, with their already ridiculous +10 modifier , it'll be close to impossible to score for a regular chaser, even with a +8 modifier. (I'm also a bit bitter because my chaser rolls seem to love to hang around the single digits area. gonk )

Or maybe players might allocate all of the extra points to their beaters and kill off their opposing teams. In which case, AHAHA, doom. D8

But yeah. I'm just a ball of pessimistic feels shooting down ideas like it's hunting season. orz You're welcomed to rant as much as you want, haha. Because usually, good ideas stem from ranting. Or shenanigans. There's some epic shenanigan going on in Ministry of Magic. And chaos. There will be chaos. Lots of it. All came from ranting. >.>

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:44 pm
Utsuha Moon
RedEagleEye007

Hhuehuehuehue I just realized some of my arguments may seem a bit... uh, offensive, if that's the word. Let me clarify. D:

" It is, in a sense, cheating, but they have the full right to do it."
People have the right to edit their profiles, and not to cheat.

"A muggleborn first year would most likely become a reserve player,"
Any first year would most likely become a reserve player, but I specifically used "muggleborn" because I was comparing muggleborns, half bloods, and purebloods of the same year level, though I did not emphasize that.

Back to the topic! I think it's a nice idea for the captain to get more power than just a regular character with an extra fancy title. BUT, I would think that many people would allocate the maximum amount of points needed to their Seekers and Keepers, because why the heck not? A seventh year with a +8 modifier, on top of these extra points, might just go boom, boom, boom, CAUGHT THE SNITCH! And Keepers, with their already ridiculous +10 modifier , it'll be close to impossible to score for a regular chaser, even with a +8 modifier. (I'm also a bit bitter because my chaser rolls seem to love to hang around the single digits area. gonk )

Or maybe players might allocate all of the extra points to their beaters and kill off their opposing teams. In which case, AHAHA, doom. D8

But yeah. I'm just a ball of pessimistic feels shooting down ideas like it's hunting season. orz You're welcomed to rant as much as you want, haha. Because usually, good ideas stem from ranting. Or shenanigans. There's some epic shenanigan going on in Ministry of Magic. And chaos. There will be chaos. Lots of it. All came from ranting. >.>

lol I like the hunting season part of this. But yeah, unfortunately, it does have the honor code a little bit mixed in there, which certain people don't follow...(unfortunately) I totally understand that. I just would find it interesting.

Although, getting to witness players getting smashed with bludgers 24/7 would be a tad funny, but that wouldn't make for a good game.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:12 pm
RedEagleEye007

Yeah ; 3 ;
*rolls around*
But eh. Being suspicious of everyone doesn't help anything. And if you want to see kids knocking out other kids, just try out for quidditch and witness chaos. c8

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:16 pm
Utsuha Moon
RedEagleEye007

Yeah ; 3 ;
*rolls around*
But eh. Being suspicious of everyone doesn't help anything. And if you want to see kids knocking out other kids, just try out for quidditch and witness chaos. c8

I am! I'm having my first year tryout for Gryffindor for Seeker, despite them having two competing ones already. Hey, never can have too many back ups lol.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:20 pm
RedEagleEye007
I am! I'm having my first year tryout for Gryffindor for Seeker, despite them having two competing ones already. Hey, never can have too many back ups lol.

Yurp! Plus, if you think about it, when they graduate you get to hog that position all for yourself~ C8  

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100