View Results

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:01 am
Well maybe not dangerous but still harmful because it robs you of something good.

Myth: Eating or drinking dairy makes mucus and congestion worse.

I remember in my younger days my mom would tell me this and forbid me from drinking any milk even though it was my favorite drink. And then she would stuff me full of juice, tea, and clear soda x_X

My colds and flues would all follow this pattern: I would spend two days sick and over a week coughing and blowing out phlegm and mucus.

One day after I coughed my throat raw and ran out of cough drops, I said to myself: "******** this, I'll gladly deal with more phlegm to make this pain go away!" and slowly drank a tall cold glass of milk.

Damn it felt so ******** good. and my recovery time wasn't any longer than usual.

Ever since then, I took care of myself while sick and made my own decisions on what to eat and drink.

My colds and flues now follow this pattern: Less than a day actually sick with a fever and up to three days coughing/blowing phlegm and mucus. with much less suffering during.

I researched milk and mucus and it turns out real medical studies have been done on them involving both sick and healthy people and they've found no correlation. Milk does not increase or aggravate mucus and phlegm.

Milk is actually a very good food for you when you are sick, it carries more good stuff for you than a bowl of broth, it soothes sore throats, and it's a better drink choice than juice, soda, and tea because the sugars of juice (even orange juice) and soda can feed the bacteria and shut down the immune system as well as the acids irritating your throat. Tea can also be bad because many teas contain caffeine and act as a diuretic which will dehydrate you.

Here's my cold/flu diet:

-Breakfast-

- Oatmeal -
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 oats
1 egg
1tbs melted butter
flavorings (I use vanilla and cinnamon or apple pie spice mix)
honey to taste

I whisk the milk, water, egg, butter, and flavorings until it's smooth and creamy, then I stir in the oats, nuke it in the microwave, and stir in honey until sweet. Oatmeal made this way is very nutritious and feels great on irritated throats. It's also fairly easy to digest.

- Lunch -

A clear broth noodle soup and crackers with a tall cold glass of whole milk.

- Dinner -

A home-made chicken, dumpling, and veggie soup.

I add a can of evaporated milk to the broth and puree the veggies so they are easier to digest. I make sure to include all the good ones: spinach, carrots, celery, brocolli,

And in between all that, when I take medicine, I drink a glass of warm milk first to help my stomach absorb it. and for "snacks" I drink a cup of instant soybean paste, seaweed, and tofu soup.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm
I've actually never heard that.
Huh. o_O

diet bepis

Kitten

22. ✿ - - - Health And Exercise

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items