Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Midwest Conventions
2014 Michigan Convention Info

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:10 pm
Hello Everyone,

Here is a list of Conventions in Michigan that I'm going to. In this thread I'm including info for the Websites of each con, it's dates, and general location. Feel free to ask questions and if you plan on going to one of them indicate which con, what Cosplay outfit if you are wearing one, and what you think of the con if you have gone their before.

1. Almacon 2014 - Feb 7th to 9th in Alma, Michigan at Alma College. www.almaconmi.com/

Going to this convention will be determined by funds and the weather. I don't plan on Cosplaying at this con

2. Shutocon 2014 - April 4th to 6th in Lansing, Michigan at the Lansing Center & Radisson Hotel. www.shutocon.com/

I look forward to my second trip to this con. Last year I joined in on two photoshoots. I definitely want to do more photoshoots. Their are some great locations to do them along the River Boardwalk. Going as myself.

3. Jafax 19 - June 21st & 22nd in Allendale, Michigan at the beautiful Grand Valley State University campus. It's West of Grand Rapids, Michigan. www.jafax.org/ (Under Construction) &
https://www.facebook.com/JAFAX

This will be my 4th time going to this convention. This is my favorite con and I look forward to being among the friendly crowd and wonderful Cosplayers that go to this con. Planning on Cosplaying Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.

4. Youmacon 2014 - Oct 30th to Nov 2nd in Downtown Detroit Michigan at Cobo Arena and the Renaissance Center. www.youmacon.com

This will be the 6th time going to this convention. It's the biggest con that I go to and I have yet to experience all that this con has to offer. I plan on Cosplaying an original Dungeon and Dragons character.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:39 pm
i knoe i volunteer at shuto con! ^.^  

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:34 pm
nena_sakura

Wow, that's amazing. What do you do at the con? The passenger bridge and the river boardwalk are excellent places for photo taking and photoshoots. I did both last year.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:41 pm
Hello Everyone,

Almacon 2014 is happening this weekend and unfortunately money and weather has kept me away. If anyone has gone to this con I would appreciate any feedback on it.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:38 pm
smithers456
nena_sakura

Wow, that's amazing. What do you do at the con? The passenger bridge and the river boardwalk are excellent places for photo taking and photoshoots. I did both last year.

Do you Cosplay either tsubasa chronicles or card captor Sakura series?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:46 pm
nena_sakura
smithers456
nena_sakura

Yes, one of my three Cosplay outfits is Syaoran from Tsubasa. It's my best outfit to date. I have worn it to many cons and plan on wearing it to Shuto con this year. My sister made a wonderful cape and sleaveless shirt for me to wear. Also I have grey pants, real goggles, and military boots to finish off the outfit. I also usually carry my Mokona plushie with me. smile Do you cosplay any of the Tsubasa characters, especially Princess Sakura. If so it would be nice to meet you at the con. I plan on going to it on Saturday. I'm not hard too miss.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm
smithers456
nena_sakura
smithers456
nena_sakura

Yes, one of my three Cosplay outfits is Syaoran from Tsubasa. It's my best outfit to date. I have worn it to many cons and plan on wearing it to Shuto con this year. My sister made a wonderful cape and sleaveless shirt for me to wear. Also I have grey pants, real goggles, and military boots to finish off the outfit. I also usually carry my Mokona plushie with me. smile Do you cosplay any of the Tsubasa characters, especially Princess Sakura. If so it would be nice to meet you at the con. I plan on going to it on Saturday. I'm not hard too miss.

my friend cosplay's sakura from tsubasa chronicle and she has the staff and stuff ,and her friend cosplays kuragane
i dont know is she will cosplay this year but i can ask  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:07 pm
nena_sakura
smithers456
nena_sakura
smithers456
nena_sakura

my friend cosplay's sakura from tsubasa chronicle and she has the staff and stuff ,and her friend cosplays kuragane
i dont know is she will cosplay this year but i can ask

Wow, that would be great to meet your friends if they cosplay Sakura and Kurogane again. Being a Cosplay Photographer I would Love to get photos of them too.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Warrior-Princess-Rhawen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:54 pm
I'm heading to Youmacon this year! I attended last year as well. I'm so excited! If any of you went and saw a Chi, that was me! This year I'm cosplaying as Ruby Rose from Roosterteeths, RWBY series, and Chi from Chobits! If you see me around be sure to say hi! cat_4laugh

xoxo,
Rhawen  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:49 am
Warrior-Princess-Rhawen
I'm heading to Youmacon this year! I attended last year as well. I'm so excited! If any of you went and saw a Chi, that was me! This year I'm cosplaying as Ruby Rose from Roosterteeths, RWBY series, and Chi from Chobits! If you see me around be sure to say hi! cat_4laugh

xoxo,
Rhawen

Hi Rhawen, I think that's great that you are going to Youmacon this year. I'm planning on going to it on Sat, Nov 1st. I was at Youmacon 2013 as well and I took a lot of Sailor Moon cosplayer photos.

This will be my 6th time going to Youmacon and being a Cosplay photographer I've had a great time taking photos of all of the cosplayers each year. Make sure that you check out my Deviant Art page. The link is in my Gaia signature. You can see the photos that I have taken over the years at Youmacon. Also check out my Shutocon 2014 album to see some photos that I took of Chi cosplayers!!

I happen to be a big fan of Chobits and Chi. smile Over the years I have taken photos of many Chi cosplayers. I would be really excited to see another Chi cosplayer so I will definitely be keeping an eye out for you. If you want to I would be happy to do a photoshoot of you wearing your Chi Cosplay outfit. No pressure. If you are interested please let me know.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 am
Youmacon is still over a month away but I'm getting excited about it already. Since I missed Jafax 19 in June I haven't been to a con since Shutocon 2014 back in April. I miss the fun of going to a con and taking photos of cosplayers. Also it's a nice break from all of the other things going on in my life right now.

Due to a new job I don't know if I have to work on the Saturday of the con. If I do then I will go to the con on Sun Nov 2nd instead. I hope that I don't work because in my opinion Saturdays at Youmacon is the best day and busiest day of the con.

I want to check out the Shougi Japanese live cosplayer chess this year. I missed it last year. Basically Shougi chess involves cosplayers posing as the chess pieces on a life size board marked on an large area on the floor of a room at the con. Each Cosplayer has to audition ahead of time to be a chess piece. In the audition you show how well you can be in character, how you attack another piece, and how you die if you are defeated. This live event is really interesting to watch. If you are going to Youmacon don't miss out on this unique event.

Also I have a few items that I want to buy at Youmacon and I'm going to save up as much money as I can. I will be curious if their is going to be any Sailor Moon Crystal stuff their and I want to add to my growing Sailor Moon series figure collection. It would be neat if they have Sailor Moon Crystal fan art drawings or posters to buy at the artist alley. Also I will be looking for any Sailor Moon Crystal cosplayers to take photos of as well.

Sunday Sept 21st I'm going to the Michigan Renaissance Festival in Holly Michigan. People will be dressed up in period style outfits though I don't consider these outfits to be cosplay outfits. A lot of people that go to the festival dress up to celebrate the era and are not as open to having their photo being taken. At Anime cons people are aware of and even expect to have photo's taken of them. I won't even take my camera to the festival.

This year at the festival I'm going to be looking for a nice hand made staff to finish off my Cleric cosplay outfit. I don't have the skills to make one myself but this festival has one dealer that sells a lot of ones that he made himself. I'm planning on buying one and then showing it off at Youmacon. My avatar photo on both my Facebook and Deviant Art pages is a closeup photo of my cleric outfit. So check out my Deviant Art "My Cosplays" gallery album to see what my cleric outfit looks like. That will help you find me at at the con.

I will post on the week of the con which day that I'm actually going to it. If anyone else is going to Youmacon post it on this thread and perhaps we can meet to say hi.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:04 am
We have another con in Michigan too called S.S. Kaizoku con that's near Muskegeon. This year was it's second year though and it's not a very big con. They charge 10$ to get in but theres not really enough material to keep you busy for a whole day.  

EvelynPrimose

Timid Tycoon

14,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:18 pm
Angelic NickArtist
We have another con in Michigan too called S.S. Kaizoku con that's near Muskegeon. This year was it's second year though and it's not a very big con. They charge 10$ to get in but theres not really enough material to keep you busy for a whole day.

I noted some of the conventions that I go to. At last count their is actually 10 cosplay / Anime cons in Michigan and a few comic con's as well. As for the S.S. Kaizoku con I have heard about it before and I even know one of the people that helped set it up. This con actually started out at Grand Haven and then moved to Muskegon for another try. I hope that it becomes a larger con but it does compete with Jafax which is held in June. Jafax is my favorite con btw. Even though it's a small con what did you think of the S.S. Kaizoku con in general. Is it worth going to. I'm curious to find out by someone who has been their how it went. On Deviant Art their is a group called S.S. Kaizoku. I happen to be a member of it.

Have you been to other Michigan cons. I would Love to hear what you think of those. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:34 pm
smithers456

SS Kaizoku con was okayyyy, but I think the best thing about it was Sunny Straight being there, nothing about the con itself was very notable just the guest. It's worth going to I guess but only if your close by and want to go for like 5-6 hours, any longer and your gonna run out of stuff to do, most of the panels are not good either they are just minor things.

I've been to Jafax and I'm going to Shut Con this year, Jafax was great I just went for one day though. I've been to the Detroit Comic con a couple times, once for a whole weekend that thing is totally awesome, I've gotten to meet so many giant celebrities there and even had dinner with some of the comic book artists (my uncles friends with a few of them). I'm going to grand rapids comic con in november this year too  

EvelynPrimose

Timid Tycoon

14,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:04 pm
Here's another convention for people in the Midwest and especially Michigan to go to:

Grand Rapids Comic-Con:
Great authors, media and comic guests
Check out their line up
http://www.grcomiccon.com.  
Midwest Conventions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out