Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Photo Section
Cosplay Photography - Examples of my Work

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 am
Greetings Everyone,

Here is something that I would like to share with everyone, my Love of Cosplay Photography!! Thanks goes to our Former Captain for allowing me to post this. smile

Below are the links to both my Deviant Art and Facebook Photography Pages: When you check out the pages that I have created you will be amazed. I have been taking Cosplay photos since 2009 and each con that I go to my photography skills improve a lot. I have fans all over the world that like my work that I post on my Deviant Art page. You don't need a Deviant Art page yourself to check out my DA page, Facebook you do need an account. If you go to my Facebook Photography page if you like what you see please "Like" my page. I need all of the Likes I can get right now. Thanks. Note: You won't be able to make comments on my DA page if you don't have a Deviant Art account yourself.

After years of taking photos of cosplayers I now consider myself to be a Semi Pro Cosplay photographer. I still have a lot to learn and it is a big thrill to take photos of the wonderful Cosplay outfits that Cosplayers make. Every con I see cosplayer characters from series and video games that I know and many that I don't know. When you check out my photos any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm going to post on this thread some of my best photos. Please keep in mind that their will only be a few posted here.

Enjoy my work. Ron

http://smithers456.deviantart.com/ https://www.facebook.com/Smithers456Photography  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:09 pm
User Image

This is a photo of a Telulu cosplayer from the series Sailor Moon. It's one of the most popular photos that I have taken and posted on my Deviant Art page!!
This photo was taken at Anime / Cosplay con Youmacon 2009 in the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Dearborn, Michigan (Near Detroit, Michigan)  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:16 pm
User Image

Here is one of my latest photos that I took at the Anime / Cosplay con Youmacon 2013 in the dealers room of Cobo Hall at Detroit, Michigan. In the photo is a Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Mars Cosplayer from the Sailor Moon Anime series. I'm a big fan of Sailor Moon and you can tell because I had these two lovely girls hold my Luna plushie for this shot. smile

This con was for 72 hrs straight and was at both Cobo Hall and the Renaissance Center in Downtown Detroit. Youmacon is now one of the largest Anime / Cosplay cons in the country.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:47 pm
In case anyone was wondering I'm also a cosplayer. I have 3 outfits including:

1. Lt Commander Smithers - From Star Trek the Original series.
I use to work at Star Trek cons years ago and I decided to wear my Spock / Dr McCoy outfit for my first anime / cosplay convention. I also use to play a Star Trek RPG years ago and my first character was Lt Commander Smithers, Chief Science Officer, of the USS Amandora. When it came time to pick my Internet Alias I picked Smithers because of how much I liked the character.

2. Celtic Cleric Adalardo - From Dungeon and Dragons
I had an old costume hanging around, literally, and altered it to look like a cleric from Dungeon and Dragons. I happen to like Celtic folklore so that is where the name came from.

3. Syaoran - From Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Syaoran is my first Anime Cosplay. I Love the Anime show Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles a lot and decided to honor the show by cosplaying my favorite character from it. My Gaia Avatar is made to look like Syaoran right now and a photo of me wearing the outfit is now part of my signature.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm
Your photos are amazing! You really do a great job, especially with lighting, which I find can be temperamental sometimes! When looking through your work, I would really picture myself there.. I don't quite know how to explain it, but it feels real! I guess I could just sense your passion for photography through your work. cat_3nodding
P.S. If I'm ever in Michigan at a con, I will make sure to contact you! ^^~ I would love some professional cosplay photos done, hehe!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:23 am
Starz-N-Madness
Your photos are amazing! You really do a great job, especially with lighting, which I find can be temperamental sometimes! When looking through your work, I would really picture myself there.. I don't quite know how to explain it, but it feels real! I guess I could just sense your passion for photography through your work. cat_3nodding
P.S. If I'm ever in Michigan at a con, I will make sure to contact you! ^^~ I would love some professional cosplay photos done, hehe!

I have to admit that some of my photos I'm able to use the available light to my advantage but some of my photos I have enhanced the lighting and the quality of the photo overall afterwards to make it look nicer. Editing photos can take a long time to do.

Making the photos feel like you are really their is one of my gifts. Also I put a lot of passion into my photography work. When I take the photos I use my charm to help the cosplayer feel more at ease. Also I make use of my ability to get a good feel of the person and I focus my attention on just them. In other words I don't treat the cosplayers like an object and fiddle around with the camera to get all of the technical camera settings just right. I respect the cosplayer by treating them as a person and I always put my camera on auto. Putting my camera on auto frees me up to be more creative. I can be serious when I take the Cosplay Photos but most of the time I have fun with it and when needed coach the cosplayer to get good poses from them.

I would Love to do a photoshoot of you and you would be getting a big brotherly hug from me when I have the honor to meet you. I never charge to do one which surprises some people. I do the photos as a service to them, for the experience, and I have a lot of fun doing them. My brother thankfully is very patient with me when I take photos because I tend to try to get the best photo of the cosplayer and use my attention to detail which can take some time to get the pose just right. Looking at my photos you can see many of the cosplayers smiling back at me. That's part of my charm as well.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:38 pm
I always enjoy seeing your new work posted. You can tell how much fun you have at all of your conventions. The pride and joy of your subjects also come through the lens. Keep up the good work!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:35 pm
I really like your work! You take such good photos! Is photography your profession or a hobby? Again, great work! whee  

Peridooot

Fashionable Lunatic

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:05 am
Neko Breeze
I really like your work! You take such good photos! Is photography your profession or a hobby? Again, great work! whee

Hi "Neko Breeze", (Long Answer - It shows the Passion for my Art and Hobby)

Many thanks for your complement of my Cosplay Photography Work. I started out being a Cosplay Photographer back in 2009 as a Hobby and I really enjoy taking photos of Cosplayers and their Outfits no matter what level of their expertise. I usually show the Cosplayer the photo that I took. Many Cosplayers have not seen what they look like. Most are very happy with the photo that I took. That brings me great joy.

Since those humble begins my skill has grown. I have an eye for photography which runs in my family. I usually wear a Cosplay outfit myself which puts other Cosplayers at ease.

I now consider myself to be a Semi Professional Cosplay Photographer and have done a few Cosplay Photo shoots. I still treat Cosplay Photography as a hobby and enjoy interacting with fellow Cosplayers and Convention attendees.

You can find my Cosplay Photography work throughout this Guild, Especially in the Official Series threads. Last year I even had the privilege to meet a fellow Guild members and do a mini photoshoot with her. What was cool about is that she also got married that same day. Photos from that photoshoot can be looked at on the Midwest Convention Sub Forum. They were taken in Detroit Michigan at Youmacon 2015.

I take Cosplay Photography photos for the joy of it. You can see the joy that I bring out of others in my photos. The difference between Professional Cosplay photographers and Semi Cosplay Photographers is the fact that I'm do it for fun and not for money. Also my camera is always on Auto so that I can focus on the person and not treat them as objects. Keep in mind that is my opinion. Enjoy checking out more of Cosplay Photography throughout the Guild.

PS - I plan on having 2 of my Cosplay Photos in the upcoming "Fall into Step" Trivia Contest. It's a Multiple choice contest which should make it easier for Guild Members to participate whether they know the Series in the Questions or not. More info on the contest and when it starts soon. It will be worth the wait!!  
Photo Section

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games