Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Contests
[CLOSED] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you participate?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:20 am
John 14:26

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 am
Romans 8:28
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Searchghost

Ruthless Ladykiller

7,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:43 pm
My confirmation verse:

Ephesians 2: 8, 9: For it is by grace you have been saved through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:22 am
John 14:23
Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Searchghost

Ruthless Ladykiller

7,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 pm
One of my favorite verses:
Matthew 6:34
Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm
What Bible version do you guys like to use? I'm an NIV man, myself.  

Searchghost

Ruthless Ladykiller

7,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Searchghost

Ruthless Ladykiller

7,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:08 pm
I actually love this whole portion of the beatitudes: Matthew 6:25-32
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:56 am
Searchghost

It depends... I am not always happy with the language in some translations.
They are not always clear enough, so I compare, and pick the one that conveys the message better. New American Standard Bible, or the English Standard Version, but I also read the New International Version, and the King James.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

SolaceSerenitySerendipity

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:09 am
Garland-Green
Searchghost

They are not always clear enough, so I compare, and pick the one that conveys the message better. New American Standard Bible, or the English Standard Version, but I also read the New International Version, and the King James.

Bible translation certainly has some interesting issues surrounding it.
For a primarily English-speaking person like myself, I have found the ESV and NRSV to be reasonably good for study. I still very much enjoy the KJV, as it was what I was raised on. When I quote from memory, I still tend to have it come out as the KJV wink

As far as the NIV is concerned, I feel the NIV 2011 translation is pretty good, but I am not a fan of the older NIV versions, nor the TNIV. The most recent NLT translation even appears fairly sound and it is smooth to read smile

The NASB is a more "literal" translation, which is great for some things, but I find it is not my preference for reading aloud to others.

Some of it is a matter of preference with me and some is a matter of pure translation issues (such as translation type, underlying presuppositions of the translators, etc.) Definitely this is a huge topic, but there is something for everyone as far as translations go smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 am
Garland-Green
Searchghost

For a primarily English-speaking person like myself, I have found the ESV and NRSV to be reasonably good for study. I still very much enjoy the KJV, as it was what I was raised on. When I quote from memory, I still tend to have it come out as the KJV wink

As far as the NIV is concerned, I feel the NIV 2011 translation is pretty good, but I am not a fan of the older NIV versions, nor the TNIV. The most recent NLT translation even appears fairly sound and it is smooth to read smile

The NASB is a more "literal" translation, which is great for some things, but I find it is not my preference for reading aloud to others.

Some of it is a matter of preference with me and some is a matter of pure translation issues (such as translation type, underlying presuppositions of the translators, etc.) Definitely this is a huge topic, but there is something for everyone as far as translations go smile

English is not my first language, but I still prefer reading the Bible in English,
because English as a language is more complex, and has more facets than my mother tongue. It is easier to convey deep meanings in English.

The most important thing is what is being said. Not how someone says it.
It needs to be understood by the receiver. It is impossible to have a word for word translation of the Bible from one language to another, but as far as languages goes I think the English Bibles are as good as it gets apart from reading it in the original language.

I enjoy the ESV too. The NIV I feel leaves some words out that are important.
It translates things not entirely right, however as far as language is concerned
it is clear, and easy to read.

It is also important to distinguish between the two words 'translations' and 'versions', when dealing with "different" Bibles. The way I see it, a version is something that is defined as a description or account from one point of view, especially as opposed to another. A translation, is a work where you have the same message, but use different word that do not necessarily conflict, or alter the message.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 am
Garland-Green
Garland-Green
Searchghost

English is not my first language, but I still prefer reading the Bible in English,
because English as a language is more complex, and has more facets than my mother tongue. It is easier to convey deep meanings in English.

It needs to be understood by the receiver. It is impossible to have a word for word translation of the Bible from one language to another, but as far as languages goes I think the English Bibles are as good as it gets apart from reading it in the original language.

It translates things not entirely right, however as far as language is concerned

It is also important to distinguish between the two words 'translations' and 'versions', when dealing with "different" Bibles. The way I see it, a version is something that is defined as a description or account from one point of view, especially as opposed to another. A translation, is a work where you have the same message, but use different word that do not necessarily conflict, or alter the message.

I have always found this PDF from Crossway to be a great quick resource about general information on issues regarding Bible translation:

BIBLE TRANSLATION DIFFERENCES:
Criteria for Excellence in Reading and Choosing a Bible Translation

http://www.gnpcb.org/assets/products/excerpts/1581346433.1.pdf

It is certainly not the first or last word on translations, but it is a great starting point for discussion. smile

As a caveat, I must state that although dynamic equivalence is not preferable to me, as I stated before, the NLT is perhaps the best example of an exception to most of the problems regarding such a type of translation.

Also, I forgot to mention that I am also fond of the Geneva Bible. One of my favorite copies of the Bible is my Facsimile edition of the 1560 printing of the Geneva. As a facsimile, it has the translators notations surrounding the text, which are interesting in themselves wink

Have a great day! Lord bless smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 am
Garland-Green
Garland-Green
Searchghost

I have always found this PDF from Crossway to be a great quick resource about general information on issues regarding Bible translation:

BIBLE TRANSLATION DIFFERENCES:
Criteria for Excellence in Reading and Choosing a Bible Translation

http://www.gnpcb.org/assets/products/excerpts/1581346433.1.pdf

It is certainly not the first or last word on translations, but it is a great starting point for discussion. smile

As a caveat, I must state that although dynamic equivalence is not preferable to me, as I stated before, the NLT is perhaps the best example of an exception to most of the problems regarding such a type of translation.

Also, I forgot to mention that I am also fond of the Geneva Bible. One of my favorite copies of the Bible is my Facsimile edition of the 1560 printing of the Geneva. As a facsimile, it has the translators notations surrounding the text, which are interesting in themselves wink

Have a great day! Lord bless smile

Wow! That is excellent! Isn't is great to see that no matter the language,
the Bible is still saying the same thing? The Geneva Bible, even though the language may seem archaic to us now and was translated forever ago, still say the same things our contemporary translations do! So much for the theories out there that you can't trust it because it has been interpreted, re-interpreted and mistranslated over and over, making the Bible we have today a revised version!

You too brother!
God bless you! smile  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:23 am
Ephesians 4:15
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:02 am
2 Thessalonians 1:6
God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 am
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.  
Contests

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff