Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
"Everyone has an inbuildt knowledge of God"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:59 am
Is there such a thing as an atheist? Are they suppressing the truth they know in unrightousness?

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." Romans 1:20

People see that there is a God, just by looking out the window.

Speaking for myself, since I know myself better than I know anyone else;
As a child I believed there was a God, and I had an idea that he was more just than anyone else, and I didn't come from a family that had a particular focus on God, or any focus on religion. How about you?

Do you think God would have programmed knowledge of himself into us, that we are free to act, or not act on (suppress)?

Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

2 Thessalonians 2:10.12
…10and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

Even scientists with a strong evolutionary worldview think we are programmed to believe;

We are programmed to believe in a god

Quote:
Why does ours species need to feel like there is something bigger out there or to have a sense of purpose and so on to begin with? Do other animals have these same existential needs? If not, why don't they?

The question is rather; why would we evolve to come up with the idea of God, since the theory of evolution espouse the idea that evolution is driven by selfishness? The idea of God is pretty unselfish, and it puts someone else first. According to the theory of evolution the weakest ones dies, and it is not in our (individually or as a society) best interest that the weakest ones should make it, or that we should put anyone or any force before ourself. An idea that we are answerable to a force outside of ourselves, and that we should seek this force seems counterproductive with regards to survival of the fittets, and the selfishness that entails. Is it not more plausible that the Creator programmed us with a knowledge of his existance? What are your throughts?

Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him. For he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 am
I agree. Believing in God and having morality is against evolution. Why should we want to naturally answer to someone we can't see and act in the best interests of others instead of ourselves? The best thing to do, according to evolution is to be all for yourself and if people don't like it you can just make them leave and/or kill them. Most children seem to take very well to the idea of God and in all societies they make up a god if they don't know the real one. That sounds a lot like humans being pre-programmed for worship. It's not a surprise since that's exactly what the Bible says.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

narcissistic nation

Clean Noob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:40 pm
I think we definitely have free will, and not completely programmed to believe, perhaps its that once we see past the flesh, past our false realities that we may become enlightened with God, And maybe after that people come to multiple realizations or have a revelation and change completely, some think they have but haven't.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:18 pm
narcissistic nation
I think we definitely have free will, and not completely programmed to believe, perhaps its that once we see past the flesh, past our false realities that we may become enlightened with God, And maybe after that people come to multiple realizations or have a revelation and change completely, some think they have but haven't.

Perhaps it would be better described as programmed to have a knowledge of God (general revelation), it wouldn't then take away peoples free will (which obviously exists, or there would not be so many options which people act on). If decided to pursue that knowledge it leads to special revelations from God, which in turn leads to belief. I too believe we have a free will, but it doesn't absolve us of the responsibility to believe since it is apparent to us (God has made the knowledge of him apparent to everyone alive). There would be no consequences (everlasting condemnation) to not believing if it was not a responsibility, and since I don't believe God wants anyone to be lost, why wouldn't he make knowledge of himself apparent? We know he does not show favoritism (Rom. 2:11) so he would not give evidence of himself to some, but leave others out, "Indeed, when Gentiles. who do not have the [written] law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for the themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them" (Rom. 2:14-15). If you have the knowledge of the Law, you have the knowledge of a Lawgiver?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Harbinger of Entropy

Super Wife

3,850 Points
  • Canny Agent 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Distrustul Officer 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30 am
apiyo
I agree. Believing in God and having morality is against evolution. Why should we want to naturally answer to someone we can't see and act in the best interests of others instead of ourselves? The best thing to do, according to evolution is to be all for yourself and if people don't like it you can just make them leave and/or kill them. Most children seem to take very well to the idea of God and in all societies they make up a god if they don't know the real one. That sounds a lot like humans being pre-programmed for worship. It's not a surprise since that's exactly what the Bible says.
Well, that's not entirely accurate. Humans are social creatures, who find it easier to survive when they cooperate with others, rather than attempt to survive on their own, outside of society. It would have increased our chances of survival to have a mind that encourages us to work with others in a form of cooperation, and to even care about the good of the society as a whole, as this would have increased both our chances of survival, but the chances of our offspring surviving instead.

As for children taking to the idea of god well, that's because children are young, and impressionable and often take on whatever ideas their elders give them. I never took to the idea of god as a child, I saw it as contradictory despite how many people attempted to show me god as I grew up.  
Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games