Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tuggle_love89

Conservative Businesswoman

7,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:15 am
I have been in a relationship with someone for 3 years now. Only about a year ago did we let Christ into our lives. We pray together now and read the bible.
My question is:

What does the bible say about marriage?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 am
Hi there tuggle! That is a giant question. I'm going to bed, but when I wake up I'll make sure to answer with plenty of references!

Abundant Merci

Questionable Inquisitor

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Inquisitor 200

Abundant Merci

Questionable Inquisitor

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:53 pm
Alright! Here we go!

The first thing the bible says about marriage is back in Genesis 2:24 -

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." - Gen 2:24 ESV

There are plenty of marriages represented in the bible, but I definitely encourage reading Ruth. It won't take long, and it also brings in the idea of the Kinsman Redeemer.

Next up, we have something you've probably heard a lot about, the Proverbs 31 woman:

"An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life. She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands. She is like the ships of the merchant, she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is yet night, and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens. She considers a field and buys it; with the fuit of her hands she plants a vineyard. She dresses herself with strength and maes her arms strong. She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night. She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle. She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet. She makes bed coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and puple. Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sahses to the merchant. Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children ise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her; "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.
-Proverbs 31: 10-31

A lot of women take this view as the model wife. She is hardworking and loving, very much in command of the home but still obedient to her husband. I like it because it is one of the few passages that shows the woman's side of a marriage. I also love it because the couple in question is truly in love with each other and working with each other to help the family succeed. What I don't like is that it says nothing about her prayer life, but that is applied to all people many times in the New Testament.

The next passage is one that a lot of women stumble over. 1 Peter 3 starting at verse 1.

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be exernal- the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear- but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening. Like wise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
-1 Peter 2:11

This whole section is a commentary on married life. A lot of women are offended enough not to actually read into it. What it's saying is that true beauty is found on the inside, and outer beauty is usually used for grabbing attention in some way, usually an ungodly way. Be submissive to your husbands is exactly what it means. Your husband is your leader, and you need to obey him. But, if you look lower, starting at Likewise, husbands, you see that husbands are supposed to live with their wives in an understanding way. Yes, it means not treating her like one of the guys and suggesting a wrestling match in the front room, but it also means that husbands are supposed to listen to their wives.

One of the most important insights I got into this passage was that when there are major decisions that the both of you don't agree on, you pray together and apart. Wait a little while, and discuss it again. If you still don't agree, pray some more, wait, discuss. At the end, if you still don't agree on something, the husband has the final say on the decision and you follow his will. Unless the decision is against God. Then God definitely wins over. He will open and close doors where they need to be opened and closed.

There are many references to marriage in the bible, if you want more, go ahead and go to a bible site and search the word marriage. There's also different Christian sites that have articles on these things all the time. A few really good ones are...

http://thegospelcoalition.org/
http://www.relevantmagazine.com/
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog

Please, continue to grow your relationship in God and use these wonderful resources. It really is an interesting topic, but always remember that God comes first in all things.

Also, here's a free ebook!!!

http://www.desiringgod.org/books/preparing-for-marriage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:05 pm
Wow, thanks so much for responding and including so many useful references.

I am going to look more into this, but I do have a few other questions that I will wait to ask until I have read a bit more.  

tuggle_love89

Conservative Businesswoman

7,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items