Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Religion and Homosexuality? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Khevyn

Witty Lover

8,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:20 pm
As long as I've been here I don't think I've ever posted anything so here I go...

Basically, can anyone relate? I grew up in a nondenominational Christian home (probably when I was 10) and haven't left it since. Not because its my rent's thing but because I genuinely believe there is a God and have formed a relationship with Him.
I guess I may expand on this thought more if I can find someone who gets where I'm coming from or can at least attempt to.

Note:: Trust me, I am more than aware of the hostility and conflicting arguments between the two parties. This is just me trying to figure out how I should look at a situation because I'm most definitely not going to stop believing in a God. There is just too much we as humans can't understand that I can't simply throw out the idea of a God to be lesbian.
Note #2:: Speak your mind, filter out the "god" bashing(or whatever you "cool" kids call it) and ignorant comments I get enough of it from my supposed Christians.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:01 pm
I can't relate in any way, as my immediate family and I aren't religious. My parents have always been open to my siblings and I discovering what we want to "follow" or whatever.

However I do have some opinions.

One) I think that everyone should marry who they want, regardless of their sexuality and gender. Love is love and it's not going to kill you if people of the same sex are together. Mind your own buisness.

Two) While I do not necessarily believe in god, I believe there is a higher being (or beings) out there. I think they love us no matter what and wish everyone was more understanding of each other than they are now.

Three) I don't think I have a third opinion.... razz  

Bri-the_cookie_goddess

Interesting Friend

7,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Tipsy 100

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:38 pm
I was raised non-religious, although my Father is Christian (Catholic maybe even) and my Mum is Baptist.

Coming out to them was an easy task and they've both been entirely accepting. We're not a very religious family to begin with and my parents' views on religion tend to be rather loose.

My Mum, however, made a point to express to me that she never understood why religion and sexuality need conflict or even influence on one another.

Personally, I've always found religion to be more of a moral compass and guide for one's life. While I'm more spiritual in my own beliefs I've found that the more loose your interpretation the better your relationship with God, or whomever.

I've been under the opinion that (and I hope this is an accepted idea) the Bible, and any other scripture for that matter, was written at the hand of Man. Just like we each have our own perspectives, the view of the Bible, Quran, etc. is limited to the scope of those who've written them. Their perspectives shouldn't dictate how anyone else chooses to live their life.

If God created Man, He wouldn't have created Man in a distasteful light. If God is the only one who can judge us why have Him judge our sexuality? I was under the impression that He judged us based on our actions, not on our persons.

Now a bit divergent from religion is the fact that homosexuality, and any sort of "abnormal" sexual behavior, has been pervasive throughout history. Before the Bible was ever written, perhaps even conceived, Man was already well accustomed to homosexuality and non-heterosexual exclusiveness.

This glob of fact and what I regard as truth is what allows me to live my life without the assumption that should God truly exist that He would ever disapprove of my sexuality seeing as how it's not anything "abnormal" or unusual, and that it's a relatively small aspect of my, or anyone else's, life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:21 pm
Minnesota where I live just allow gay marriages and I am so happy  

Demonfire911

Greedy Bloodsucker

5,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Timid 100

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:28 am
Religion has no say in my personal life. Took my family (most notably my mother) some time to come to terms with my sexuality, but, in due time, they got over it. My family is still religious; I'm not. I choose to live life on my own terms rather than a priest or an ancient book telling me otherwise. I'm content with my stance regarding this whole ordeal, and I would not hesitate to heel-thrust someone in the nose for scolding me on my own life choices. Regardless, to each their own and I respect everyone's right to freedom of religion.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:25 am
If I recall correctly, the guild's original founder was a practicing Christian. Whether she still is or not, I don't know.

I grew up in a Roman Catholic family, and although I no longer practice myself, I suppose I have a certain fondness for some of the ceremony and tradition involved with Mass. I guess I would be considered agnostic these days, but even when I considered myself Christian, I never understood why a supposedly omniscient, omnipotent being would be bothered by same-sex relationships (among other things). It just seems like such a petty thing for a deity to care about.

Anyway, there are a great many members of the LGBT community who are also religious, and we are seeing more and more queer-friendly church congregations. There is still a long way to go, but it's quite encouraging to see these changes.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Rezal_Zioun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:22 pm
Watch this movie its on netflix

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413067/

I find my religion does not contradict with my sexuality.

People pervert what ever they can to back up prejudice.

I am bi. I believe God made me who I am. I dont see a conflict.

heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:12 pm
My faith (British Trad. Wicca) doesn't really give two shits about homosexuality so no probs there.

I find I really distrust most religious institutions especially Christian ones. I find most inner workings of Christian organizations rife with hypocrisy, greed, and sociopaths preying on the weak willed.

I flip back and forth between being neutral about Christianity and hating everything about what it has "become".  

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

botan ame

Friendly Giver

5,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:59 pm
although my religion has no opinion on homosexuality, i was originally raised Christian. my take on it is that if we have trouble understanding texts that are from our time period with our dialect and terminology that we are supposed to understand. how can we clearly determine what the bible has to say about homosexuality? i just think that since there is no clear cut answer, so i try not to worry about it. at some point, with more awareness. christianity and some other religions wont have such a large and strong population of homophobic people.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:48 am
I believe what Der said. The books are written by men, and are basically the author's interpretation of what is right and wrong - sometimes molded around the religion, which was another author's interpretation of what was right and wrong, and other times being the original religion itself.

I believe all religions are man-made and are individualized. Each person believes in their religion in a different way than the next person.

My immediate family likes to go by the Bible, which I kinda take some issue with because I believe it to be outdated in some aspects, because it was written by people from way back then basing their writing, on what I believe to be, what was popular way back then.

My family believes that the Holy Spirit helped write the book therefore it will never be outdated.

I see religions as bundles of morals to believe in, and possibly believing in spirits and God(s) too...although I do not believe in spirits and Gods.

It's all about interpretation. ex: I see religious teachings about God(s) to be symbolic, and my family sees it as a reality.  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Galadriel Billingham

Greedy Businesswoman

7,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:06 am
I come from a family that is super religious and it has been a ride if anything else.

I used to be just as faithful and did things with the church, taught bible studies and worked with the kids. Then the rumor of myself being gay started to spread around and I was thrown from church.

That was the day I lost all my faith. It was not long until my parents no longer wanted anything to do with me and I was ok with that. I had made the decision long ago to be me if they didn't want me to continue living in my lifestyle.

It hasn't been until the last 2 years that I have gotten back into religion but only on my own terms. My parents have since gotten back into my life, they had just needed time and I never strayed from what made me happy.

Life can be hell if raised in religion but always stay happy with who you are and one day everything will be perfect!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:48 pm
My family is moderately religious and have varying opinions on sexuality. But their opinions do not seem to be based on religion. I know that my mother was the most accepting of my preference only because she also considered herself lesbian/bisexual growing up until she met my father.  

Xeliel

Noob

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:56 pm
I am somewhere between deist, agnostic, and atheist, but I definitely do not think that god and spirituality is incompatible with queer lifestyles  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:41 pm
Christianity is a religious of faith. As long as you truly believe Jesus is our savor, then you'll go to heaven. Anyone who hates gays, goes against the bible.

Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."
Mark 12:31, "Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

People are suppose to hate the sin, not the sinner. Anyone who does hate the sinner goes against the second verse or they hate themselves too.  

NotGilbert

Newbie Poster

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 pm
Taeryyn
I guess I would be considered agnostic these days, but even when I considered myself Christian, I never understood why a supposedly omniscient, omnipotent being would be bothered by same-sex relationships (among other things). It just seems like such a petty thing for a deity to care about.

One of my favorites is asking bigoted creationists why the same deity that designed humans so that the male G-spot was a p***s' length from the a**s hated gays so much. It seems like a rather glaring design flaw, if those are where its priorities lie.
I'm what I call a "Recovering Catholic." I was raised that way, and even got confirmed before I started really thinking for myself. I am now an agnostic atheist.
As the replies here are almost strictly theistic (shockingly; I don't think I joined any other guild with so strong a concentration of theists), I think I'll refrain from further comments that I might otherwise make.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff