Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
Bible Verses You Won’t Read in Church - A Commentary Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:15 am
Bible Verses You Won’t Read in Church

Just thought I would go through a list like this to show you how unreasonable some people's claims are about the Bible and to show you that you can make a reasonable defense for believing the Bible. I have seen most of these verses before, and they are nothing new or shocking.

Number 1:

Jesus kills children

“Behold,I will cast her into a bed,and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation,except they repent of their deeds. And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.” (Revelation 2:22-23)

Comment:
Jesus does not kill the children, but the sexual immorality of the parents kills the children. It is better for the child, not to be raised by parents in this condition, so that they follow their parents example, and are so in turn become lost themselves, and their children in turn follow their example. Jesus gives fair warning that this will be the result of their adultery. The parents are warned, and can prevent the deaths of their children, if they repent. The lives of the children are in the parents hands. If the children die the blood is on their stubborn hands; "and I will give unto every one of you according to your works."

Edited August 22nd 2015: It may also be that the text here is talking about spiritual Children. Those who have decided to follow Jezebel - Revelation 2:20.

Emphasis mine  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:20 am
Hate people

“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)

Comment:
The subject here is the word for hate, which is the Greek miseo. One Skeptic is typical of critics when he writes:

Most Christians feel obligated to soften the face meaning of the word 'hate' to something like 'love less than me,' even though the Greek word miseo means 'hate.'
In line with this comment, Skeptics will stress the meaning of the word "hate" and insist that the word must be read literally, and that Jesus is truly preaching hate. But in fact, the "softening" is correct to do -- and is perfectly in line with the context of the ancient world, and the Jewish culture in particular.

The use of "hate" in the Bible as an example of linguistic extreme in an Eastern culture. There is no word, for "like" in the Arabic tongue. "...[T]o us Orientals the only word which can express any cordial inclination of approval is 'love'." The word is used even of casual acquaintances. Extreme language is used to express even moderate relationships. It is hyperbolic, meaning a figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect.

Luke 14:26 falls into a category of "extreme language," the language of absoluteness used to express a preference, and may refer to disattachment, indifference, or nonattachment without any feelings of revulsion involved. To seal this matter completely, let's look at some parallel materials which prove our point. The closest example comes from Genesis 29:30-1:

And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years. And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.
Here, "hated" is clearly used synonymously with one who is loved less. Let it be added that if Jacob hated Leah in a literal way, it is hardly believable that he would consent to take her as his wife at all. (See also Judges 14:16 and Deut. 21:15-17.)

Now here is another example from Jesus, Luke 16:13:

No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.
Such extremes of feeling would be atypical, but the extremes are not meant to be taken literally; the point is that one master will get more dedicated labor than the other.

Now let's move into some secular works with the same sort of hyperbolic language. Fitzmeyer's Lukan commentary offers this example from Poimandes 4:6:

If you do not hate your body first, O child, you will not be able to love yourself.
Would critics suppose that this teaches literal hatred of the physical body? It does not -- it emphasizes the need to give preference to the whole self before the body alone. Literal hate of the body would have us cutting it with razors or hitting it with blunt objects -- an extreme practiced in some Eastern faiths, but not among the Greeks.

Here is another example from a war song in the Poetae Lyrici Graeci (see James Denney, "The Word 'Hate' in Lk. 14:26," Expository Times 21, 41-42): it is said that in battle, men "must count his own life his enemy for the honor of Sparta" -- is this a literal hatred of one's own life being taught? No! It is emphasizing the need to make one's life secondary for Sparta's sake. Here's a final example from Epictetus 3.3.5: "The good is preferable to every intimate relation." This is just a more abstract version of Luke 14:26!

Those who think that Jesus is preaching literal and misogynist hate in this verse are anachronizing.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 am
Divide and conquer

“I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already burning! 50 I have a terrible baptism of suffering ahead of me, and I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished. 51 Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other! 52 From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against—or two in favor and three against.53‘Father will be divided against son and son against father; mother against daughter and daughter against mother; and mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Comment:
Jesus was aware of the suffering he would have to go through on the cross for the sins of the world. When I say aware I mean he knew down to a detail how it would feel, and what would happen. Imagine how that felt! It is no wonder that he asked God the Father in Gethsemane to take the cup from him.
Crucifixion is an awful way of dying, and Jesus was wishing it would be over with already. "I have a terrible baptism of suffering ahead of me."

The earth and the elements will disappear in flames (2 Peter 3:10), and Jesus will establish a new Kingdom, one that is just and right, where people live in utter peace, until then we will not know peace, and that is especially true for Christians. It could also be a reference to a world on fire because of the gospel, which seems likely since he started saying this then moving on to how it will be for those who put their faith in Him.

When we believe in Christ, the world pretty much automatically become our enemy. They will persecute and hate us just like they hated our Master. Even in families this hatred of God will be expressed when someone in that family comes to believe in Jesus. God seeks union, not division, that is the work of the Devil.

1 Corinthians 1:12–13
Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.” Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:40 am
Kill all who don’t believe/heaven for people who die for the sky god

“Then a third angel followed them, shouting, “Anyone who worships the beast and his statue or who accepts his mark on the forehead or on the hand 10 must drink the wine of God’s anger. It has been poured full strength into God’s cup of wrath. And they will be tormented with fire and burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and the Lamb. 11 The smoke of their torment will rise forever and ever, and they will have no relief day or night, for they have worshiped the beast and his statue and have accepted the mark of his name.” 12 This means that God’s holy people must endure persecution patiently, obeying his commands and maintaining their faith in Jesus. 13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this down: Blessed are those who die in the Lord from now on. Yes, says the Spirit, they are blessed indeed, for they will rest from their hard work; for their good deeds follow them!” (Revelation 14:9-13)

Comment:
Revelation 16:11
and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done.

These are a stiff-necked people, refusing to repent of their sins so they can be forgiven. It is apparent to them that the God of gods in heaven is judging them, but they still refuse the forgiveness available to them instead they curse God. If you refuse forgiveness, you accept judgement.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:49 am
Die for him from war and not peace

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:34-39)

Comment:
Matthew 10:22
and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

This is of course not Jesus urging us to take to arms for his sake,
but showing believes what they can expect from the world. The history of the church for those who are true followers of Christ is painted in their blood.

Matthew 26:52
"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him,
"for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

So what is the sword?

Let us read these words in their context. Interestingly, this is again a passage where Jesus calls disciples and sends them out to preach the Gospel.

Matthew 10:
1 He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority
to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.
2 These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is
called Peter) and his brother Andrew; ...

5 These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: ...

16 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as
shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.
17 Be on your guard against men; they will hand you over to the
local councils and flog you in their synagogues.
18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings
as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles.
19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or
how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say,
20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father
speaking through you.
21 Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child;
children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death.
22 All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the
end will be saved.

28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth.
I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to turn `a man against his father, a daughter
against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -
36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'
37 Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me
is not worthy of me;
anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me
is not worthy of me;
38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me
is not worthy of me.
39 Whoever finds his life will lose it,
and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

The first important observation is to recognize that Jesus does not speak about "the sword", but about "a sword". Jesus is not a prophet of the sword. The sword of violence, force and war has no place in his message. What kind of sword is he talking about?

The above passage speaks about the consequence of being obedient to the command of Jesus that we are to preach his message. Some will listen and accept it but many will reject it and react violently.

We will be hated for the message of repentance that we have to bring. We will be hated because we call people from evil to light and because this message exposes their evil deeds.

For many it will mean that even our own family will turn against us.

What kind of sword? It is the sword of division that God's word brings. It is the division of truth from error, and the reaction of the darkness against the light. The sword that Jesus brings, is the sword that his followers have to suffer, a sword that is applied to them, not a sword that they wield against others.

And exactly that happens in many countries. The fellowship of believers, while full of peace, incurs the wrath of the nonbelievers. Christians are gathering peacefully, yet are persecuted.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:00 am
Mutilate yourself

“You have heard that it was said, ‘you shall not commit adultery’; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 “If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 “If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell. (Matthew 5:27-29)

Comment:
"It is better..." Most people would agree, that it is better to have just one arm,
than for your whole body to go to hell, and be in torment forever without any hope of escape. Is Jesus saying that you should cut of your arm when you use them to sin? No he is not. He is showing you the severity of sin. He is showing you how horrible hell is. You don't want to go there! It is better to cut off your arm! However, it doesn't really help cutting your arm off if your heart is not right. It is from your heart that sin has its origin. You need a new heart, not one arm less. Cutting off your arm doesn't change your spiritual condition.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:11 am
Burn non-believers

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away an withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. (John 15:5-6)

Comment:
1 Timothy 2:4
who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

God wants everyone of us to be saved. How we respond to his free gift
is our choice. God doesn't take pleasure in punishing sinners, but his nature requires that sin should have consequences. When people are condemned to the Lake of Fire, it is not unjust, since God is righteous and gave us all equal opportunity in life to accept Jesus. If you reject God, you reject all the things that God is providing in your life. You reject all the good things that have their origin in Him. There is nothing left but the terrible consequences of the curse.
You reject rest, you reject peace, you reject kindness, you reject love. What is left for you, but the things that have their origin in rebellion against God, and the company of like-minded, completely away from the presence of God?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 am
Judgmentally b***h and moan at non believers

“Then Jesus began to denounce the towns where he had done so many of his miracles, because they hadn’t repented of their sins and turned to God. 21 “What sorrow awaits you, Korazin and Bethsaida! For if the miracles I did in you had been done in wicked Tyre and Sidon, their people would have repented of their sins long ago, clothing themselves in burlap and throwing ashes on their heads to show their remorse. 22 I tell you, Tyre and Sidon will be better off on judgment day than you. 23 “And you people of Capernaum, will you be honored in heaven? No, you will go down to the place of the dead. For if the miracles I did for you had been done in wicked Sodom, it would still be here today. 24 I tell you, even Sodom will be better off on judgment day than you.” ~jesus (Matthew 11:20-24)

Comment:
Why does Jesus have the right to judge, and to urge people to turn from their sins? He is the one they are committing these sins against. They are sins he has the power to forgive. They are sins that have terrible consequences for the sinner! Should he just keep quiet? Should he turn a blind eye, when his nature is Love? Does he say these things because he hates Caparnaum, or Sidon? No, he does because he cares. He would not have bothered going there doing miracles to convince them, if he hated them. Having been given the authority over heaven and earth, to judge, he knows what the sentencing will be for those who refuse mercy...  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:25 am
If you’re a Christian, you can do no wrong-doing

Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. (Romans 8:33)

Comment:
The foundation you build upon is the Lord Jesus Christ. Any man who doesn't make his foundation on Christ will end up in the lake of fire. Jesus Christ saves us from falling into that lake. He is our righteousness, not our own works. However, our works will also be put to the test of fire, and if they are weak, sinful works of the flesh, they will be burned up, and there will be loss of reward in heaven, but if they are strong, righteous works of God, they will pass through the fire unharmed, and will be counted as reward in heaven.

Every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour... let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.
-1 Corinthians 3:8-17  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:31 am
Leaders of god? Go ahead, judge away!

“The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man’s judgment.” (1 Corinthians 2:15)

Comment:
Paul makes clear in other places (1 Corinthians 13:12, Romans 7:21-25, etc.), that we don't yet have resurrection bodies, but we do have God's Spirit in the meantime. So for now, the regenerated person can see things that the unregenerated person doesn't understand, and see whether it is Good or bad, but the unregenerated person (1 Corinthians 2:14) can't even understand the regenerated person at all, and they are in no position to make any sort of judgement.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 am
Cry-baby jesus hates all green life

“Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, ’May no one ever eat fruit from you again.’ And his disciples heard him say it.” (Mark 11:13-14)

Comment:
"Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear."

He does not hate the fig tree, he is using the tree to tell you that you need to be producing good fruit in your life. A good tree bears good fruit, if you are saved, and a new being in Christ, good things will come from you. You won't be a tree with just green leafs. Some scholars today have linked the fig tree here to Israel. Jesus causes the fig tree to wither because it did not bear figs. Likewise, many teach, that Jesus passes the same judgment on Israel because of their rejection of his Messiahship. It could be both a message to Israel, and to us a believers.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:31 am
Racism is okay as long as it’s in the bible

These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: ‘Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel.’ (Matthew 10:5-6)

Comment:
Racism is never ok, and the Bible say all men are related through Adam and Eve, and all men are created in the Image of the Creator, making non of us superior to the next. Jesus came mainly for the Jews ( Matthew - He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."), because the nation of Israel is special to God, not because of what they are, but because of His promises to them, and what He has done for them ( Romans 15:8 - For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the Jews on behalf of God's truth, so that the promises made to the patriarchs might be confirmed). When Israel did not recognize Jesus as the Messiah, He let Israel be for the time being, and for a time sent His blessing to the gentiles (Romans 11:11 - Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious.).  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:42 am
Jesus: “I didn’t come down here to free slaves, screw them!”

“That servant who knows his master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” (Luke 12:47-48.)

Comment:
Misunderstanding what is being said, and failing to understand the culture at the time. Jesus is not encouraging cruelty, but showing through what was common at the time (in Israel, at the time, if you were poor, you could as a means of survival make a contract with someone that you would work for them as a slave, for house and food, a limited time, unless you agreed to by your own free will to be a slave for them the entire span of your life). You agreed to work for someone and follow their rules, and to be punished should you break them. You can find it mentioned on the beginning of the Old Testament somewhere, I forget where. He is using the master, and slave relationship to show us that believe in him, that since we have been given so much through him, much is required of us. Those who are unaware of the masters rules will receive a small punishment, but those that know, and will-fully disobey will be more severely punished.

What Jesus came to save us from was slavery to sin. smile

Edit: I found the verse about voluntary slavery in Exodus.

Exodus 21:5-7
Laws for Servants
"But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man,' then his master shall bring him to God, then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently. "If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to go free as the male slaves do.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:59 am
Hate the world

“Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. (1 John 2:15-17)

Comment:
The things in the world. The desires of the flesh, that is those things your sinful body wants, that are not glorying God, but which will lead to death. It is saying pride in what you own, and how much you own is not of God. All those things will pass away. Your money, your fancy car. They are temporary, and not much of a treasure compared to where the real treasure is - in Heaven. It is saying that your focus should be on God, not these things. They are not treasures at all, but are snares keeping you from loving God. Your love is being spent somewhere else!

Matthew 6:10-20
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:10 am
Irrational jesus is irrational

“If you do something wrong with your eye or hand, cut/pluck it off.” (Matthew 5:29-30).

Comment:
I already explained in a previous post that it is not what he meant.

“Marrying a divorced woman is adultery.” (Matthew 5:32)

Comment:
Yes, because God does not permit divorces. If you are married, that contract doesn't not expire unless someone dies. You are still married, even if you are given a slip of paper, as far as God is concerned.

“Don’t plan for the future.” (Matthew 6:34)

Comment:
If you plan for the future, make sure you don't worry about it much,
and that you include God in your plans. That you don't solely rely on your plans and your own abilities, but that you give your worries up to God. God will take care of you.

“Don’t save money.” (Matthew 6:19-20)

Comment:
Don't make money into your treasure! Let God be your treasure! Nothing on earth is supposed to be a substitute for the world to come. You can save money, but don't put your love, and your trust in your money.

“Don’t become wealthy.” (Mark 10:21-25)

Comment:
Mark 10:21-25
New International Version (NIV)
Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”

The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is[a] to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

The man lacked love. He had invested his love into his money,
they had become his treasure, and it was them he relied on in life.
They prevented him from knowing Jesus, and following Jesus, because
he loved his wealth more. He would rather have his money, than follow Jesus.

Christian apologetics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff