Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
Bible Verses You Won’t Read in Church - A Commentary Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 am
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Garland-Green

Thanks for the answer and the link! Blessed to be in this guild 4laugh
God bless you always Garland 3nodding

God bless you too always, Meili! ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:58 am
Garland-Green
Poimandes 4:6:

If you do not hate your body first, O child, you will not be able to love yourself.
Would critics suppose that this teaches literal hatred of the physical body? It does not -- it emphasizes the need to give preference to the whole self before the body alone. Literal hate of the body would have us cutting it with razors or hitting it with blunt objects -- an extreme practiced in some Eastern faiths, but not among the Greeks.

Exactly where is Poimandes 4:6 from?

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:04 am
Garland-Green

“I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already burning! 50 I have a terrible baptism of suffering ahead of me, and I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished. 51 Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other! 52 From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against—or two in favor and three against.53‘Father will be divided against son and son against father; mother against daughter and daughter against mother; and mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

The earth and the elements will disappear in flames (2 Peter 3:10), and Jesus will establish a new Kingdom, one that is just and right, where people live in utter peace, until then we will not know peace, and that is especially true for Christians. It could also be a reference to a world on fire because of the gospel, which seems likely since he started saying this then moving on to how it will be for those who put their faith in Him.

When we believe in Christ, the world pretty much automatically become our enemy. They will persecute and hate us just like they hated our Master. Even in families this hatred of God will be expressed when someone in that family comes to believe in Jesus. God seeks union, not division, that is the work of the Devil.

I know that God wants us to share our faith with others and bring them to him. The division in this verse is pretty much God saying, "You will either believe in me, or not, there is no middle ground." Right? That is how i am interpreting it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:11 am
Garland-Green
Mutilate yourself

“You have heard that it was said, ‘you shall not commit adultery’; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 “If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 “If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell. (Matthew 5:27-29)

Comment:
"It is better..." Most people would agree, that it is better to have just one arm,
than for your whole body to go to hell, and be in torment forever without any hope of escape. Is Jesus saying that you should cut of your arm when you use them to sin? No he is not. He is showing you the severity of sin. He is showing you how horrible hell is. You don't want to go there! It is better to cut off your arm! However, it doesn't really help cutting your arm off if your heart is not right. It is from your heart that sin has its origin. You need a new heart, not one arm less. Cutting off your arm doesn't change your spiritual condition.

Agreed, I've had an atheist friend who used this verse well she tired to use it against me, but failed to see that it is just a phrase, and failed to see Jesus uses them alot to explain things to us because he knew our field of understanding is limited.  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:15 am
911child
Garland-Green
Poimandes 4:6:

If you do not hate your body first, O child, you will not be able to love yourself.
Would critics suppose that this teaches literal hatred of the physical body? It does not -- it emphasizes the need to give preference to the whole self before the body alone. Literal hate of the body would have us cutting it with razors or hitting it with blunt objects -- an extreme practiced in some Eastern faiths, but not among the Greeks.

Exactly where is Poimandes 4:6 from?

It is an example of extreme hyperbolic language taken from a hermetic religious text, to show that hyperbole was not something people were not familiar with at the time, it was an expression people would be familiar with.

Poimandes is not a text in the Bible.
Ah ok.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:22 am
911child
Garland-Green
Mutilate yourself

“You have heard that it was said, ‘you shall not commit adultery’; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 “If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 “If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell. (Matthew 5:27-29)

Comment:
"It is better..." Most people would agree, that it is better to have just one arm,
than for your whole body to go to hell, and be in torment forever without any hope of escape. Is Jesus saying that you should cut of your arm when you use them to sin? No he is not. He is showing you the severity of sin. He is showing you how horrible hell is. You don't want to go there! It is better to cut off your arm! However, it doesn't really help cutting your arm off if your heart is not right. It is from your heart that sin has its origin. You need a new heart, not one arm less. Cutting off your arm doesn't change your spiritual condition.

Agreed, I've had an atheist friend who used this verse well she tired to use it against me, but failed to see that it is just a phrase, and failed to see Jesus uses them alot to explain things to us because he knew our field of understanding is limited.

He also used extremes to show us the severity of sin. It is pretty extreme to cut your arm of to avoid going to hell, so it says something about the extreme conditions of a sinner in Hell.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:23 am
Garland-Green
“If you lose a lawsuit, give more than the judgment.” (Matthew 5:40)

Comment:
The plain instruction is, Suffer any injury that can be borne, for the sake of peace, committing your concerns to the Lord's keeping. And the sum of all is, that Christians must avoid disputing and striving. If any say, Flesh and blood cannot pass by such an affront, let them remember, that flesh and blood shall not inherit the kingdom of God; and those who act upon right principles will have most peace and comfort.

“If someone forces you to walk a mile, walk two miles.” (Matthew 5:41)

Comment:
You never know if this will give you the opportunity to preach the gospel,
and have a soul saved... Walk that extra mile!

“If anyone asks you for anything, give it to them without question.” (Matthew 5:42)

Comment:
Matthew 5:42
Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

It does not say without question. You should of course not give money to someone who will use the money to buy drugs etc. You can ask what it will be used on, and perhaps give something else than money if you fear that the person will harm themselves with the money you have given. You should give when asked, it doesn't say what you should give.

Agreed, the way i read it is, to not question your self if you should, If someone asks for money, you should freely give it and not think "Do i need this for...?"  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:32 am
911child
Garland-Green

“I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already burning! 50 I have a terrible baptism of suffering ahead of me, and I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished. 51 Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other! 52 From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against—or two in favor and three against.53‘Father will be divided against son and son against father; mother against daughter and daughter against mother; and mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

The earth and the elements will disappear in flames (2 Peter 3:10), and Jesus will establish a new Kingdom, one that is just and right, where people live in utter peace, until then we will not know peace, and that is especially true for Christians. It could also be a reference to a world on fire because of the gospel, which seems likely since he started saying this then moving on to how it will be for those who put their faith in Him.

When we believe in Christ, the world pretty much automatically become our enemy. They will persecute and hate us just like they hated our Master. Even in families this hatred of God will be expressed when someone in that family comes to believe in Jesus. God seeks union, not division, that is the work of the Devil.

I know that God wants us to share our faith with others and bring them to him. The division in this verse is pretty much God saying, "You will either believe in me, or not, there is no middle ground." Right? That is how i am interpreting it.

There really is no middle ground. The middle ground, is standing on no ground at all, in full rebellion against God's authority, eventually ending up in the hands of a just, perfect and holy God, carrying your own sins in front of his perfect gaze. You either respond positively to the advances the Holy Spirit makes to convince you to repent, and be justified through Jesus, or you stand alone.

It is a divisive message. It is exclusive. The world doesn't like it, because people (sinners) want to continue as they do. I know from having been dead in my sins myself. They do not want to repent, and who are Christians to tell them what to do! It divides the world into false, and true, evil and good.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:35 am
911child
Garland-Green
“If you lose a lawsuit, give more than the judgment.” (Matthew 5:40)

Comment:
The plain instruction is, Suffer any injury that can be borne, for the sake of peace, committing your concerns to the Lord's keeping. And the sum of all is, that Christians must avoid disputing and striving. If any say, Flesh and blood cannot pass by such an affront, let them remember, that flesh and blood shall not inherit the kingdom of God; and those who act upon right principles will have most peace and comfort.

“If someone forces you to walk a mile, walk two miles.” (Matthew 5:41)

Comment:
You never know if this will give you the opportunity to preach the gospel,
and have a soul saved... Walk that extra mile!

“If anyone asks you for anything, give it to them without question.” (Matthew 5:42)

Comment:
Matthew 5:42
Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

It does not say without question. You should of course not give money to someone who will use the money to buy drugs etc. You can ask what it will be used on, and perhaps give something else than money if you fear that the person will harm themselves with the money you have given. You should give when asked, it doesn't say what you should give.

Agreed, the way i read it is, to not question your self if you should, If someone asks for money, you should freely give it and not think "Do i need this for...?"
That is what I understood it as too. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:39 am
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
Mutilate yourself

Comment:

He also used extremes to show us the severity of sin. It is pretty extreme to cut your arm of to avoid going to hell, so it says something about the extreme conditions of a sinner in Hell.

That it does. I just find it odd people are so quick to use the bible against itself with out actually trying to understand it.  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:42 am
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green

There really is no middle ground. The middle ground, is standing on no ground at all, in full rebellion against God's authority, eventually ending up in the hands of a just, perfect and holy God, carrying your own sins in front of his perfect gaze. You either respond positively to the advances the Holy Spirit makes to convince you to repent, and be justified through Jesus, or you stand alone.

It is a divisive message. It is exclusive. The world doesn't like it, because people (sinners) want to continue as they do. I know from having been dead in my sins myself. They do not want to repent, and who are Christians to tell them what to do! It divides the world into false, and true, evil and good.

Ah, so it is meant to get people to see where they stand with God. And yeah, i know exactly what its like to be dead in sin. People dislike being wrong, and especially dislike knowing they are doing the wrong thing that they cannot justify.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:45 am
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
Mutilate yourself

Comment:

That it does. I just find it odd people are so quick to use the bible against itself with out actually trying to understand it.

The book is not open to them, or revealed to them unless God reveals it.
They are not of God, so they can not know the things of God.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

That is why you understand it. It is available to you because God reveals it to you. smile You and I, know that Jesus did not call for us to cut off our arms to avoid sinning, but we have eyes to see. The person on the blog did not, and whatever light he had, it was darkness.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:03 am
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green

Ah, so it is meant to get people to see where they stand with God. And yeah, i know exactly what its like to be dead in sin. People dislike being wrong, and especially dislike knowing they are doing the wrong thing that they cannot justify.

It is also meant for you, and me, to show us that we should not expect the world to accept our message peacefully. We should not expect the world (that means all unregenerate people, those that are lost) to treat us any better, than it treated our Lord and Master, in fact, count on them not to.

It is a many faceted message; The world will be on fire, by the gospel message, and at the end of time, through peoples rejection of the gospel message, and God's judgement of the World.

Jesus hinted to his death, and Resurrection. Also showing us that he knew what it would be like, which also hints to his nature as being divine (God).

Finally he told us because of him the world would be divided. People even in families would be divided for or against him, and against each other in term.

2 Corinthians 6:14
For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:07 am
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
Mutilate yourself

Comment:

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

That is why you understand it. It is available to you because God reveals it to you. smile You and I, know that Jesus did not call for us to cut off our arms to avoid sinning, but we have eyes to see. The person on the blog did not, and whatever light he had, it was darkness.

Agreed.  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:18 am
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
Mutilate yourself

Comment:

Agreed.
If I ramble, forgive me. I am always very excited to talk about the Bible. smile  
Christian apologetics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff