Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
Bible Verses You Won’t Read in Church - A Commentary Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:45 am
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green

He also used extremes to show us the severity of sin. It is pretty extreme to cut your arm of to avoid going to hell, so it says something about the extreme conditions of a sinner in Hell.

That it does. I just find it odd people are so quick to use the bible against itself with out actually trying to understand it.

The book is not open to them, or revealed to them unless God reveals it.
They are not of God, so they can not know the things of God.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

That is why you understand it. It is available to you because God reveals it to you. smile You and I, know that Jesus did not call for us to cut off our arms to avoid sinning, but we have eyes to see. The person on the blog did not, and whatever light he had, it was darkness.

Agreed.
If I ramble, forgive me. I am always very excited to talk about the Bible. smile

No no, its quite alright smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:46 am
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green

“I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already burning! 50 I have a terrible baptism of suffering ahead of me, and I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished. 51 Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other! 52 From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against—or two in favor and three against.53‘Father will be divided against son and son against father; mother against daughter and daughter against mother; and mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

The earth and the elements will disappear in flames (2 Peter 3:10), and Jesus will establish a new Kingdom, one that is just and right, where people live in utter peace, until then we will not know peace, and that is especially true for Christians. It could also be a reference to a world on fire because of the gospel, which seems likely since he started saying this then moving on to how it will be for those who put their faith in Him.

When we believe in Christ, the world pretty much automatically become our enemy. They will persecute and hate us just like they hated our Master. Even in families this hatred of God will be expressed when someone in that family comes to believe in Jesus. God seeks union, not division, that is the work of the Devil.

I know that God wants us to share our faith with others and bring them to him. The division in this verse is pretty much God saying, "You will either believe in me, or not, there is no middle ground." Right? That is how i am interpreting it.

There really is no middle ground. The middle ground, is standing on no ground at all, in full rebellion against God's authority, eventually ending up in the hands of a just, perfect and holy God, carrying your own sins in front of his perfect gaze. You either respond positively to the advances the Holy Spirit makes to convince you to repent, and be justified through Jesus, or you stand alone.

It is a divisive message. It is exclusive. The world doesn't like it, because people (sinners) want to continue as they do. I know from having been dead in my sins myself. They do not want to repent, and who are Christians to tell them what to do! It divides the world into false, and true, evil and good.

Ah, so it is meant to get people to see where they stand with God. And yeah, i know exactly what its like to be dead in sin. People dislike being wrong, and especially dislike knowing they are doing the wrong thing that they cannot justify.

It is also meant for you, and me, to show us that we should not expect the world to accept our message peacefully. We should not expect the world (that means all unregenerate people, those that are lost) to treat us any better, than it treated our Lord and Master, in fact, count on them not to.

It is a many faceted message; The world will be on fire, by the gospel message, and at the end of time, through peoples rejection of the gospel message, and God's judgement of the World.

Jesus hinted to his death, and Resurrection. Also showing us that he knew what it would be like, which also hints to his nature as being divine (God).

Finally he told us because of him the world would be divided. People even in families would be divided for or against him, and against each other in term.

2 Corinthians 6:14
For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Really wish i could tip post razz But i cant agree more  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 am
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green

“I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already burning! 50 I have a terrible baptism of suffering ahead of me, and I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished. 51 Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other! 52 From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against—or two in favor and three against.53‘Father will be divided against son and son against father; mother against daughter and daughter against mother; and mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

The earth and the elements will disappear in flames (2 Peter 3:10), and Jesus will establish a new Kingdom, one that is just and right, where people live in utter peace, until then we will not know peace, and that is especially true for Christians. It could also be a reference to a world on fire because of the gospel, which seems likely since he started saying this then moving on to how it will be for those who put their faith in Him.

When we believe in Christ, the world pretty much automatically become our enemy. They will persecute and hate us just like they hated our Master. Even in families this hatred of God will be expressed when someone in that family comes to believe in Jesus. God seeks union, not division, that is the work of the Devil.

I know that God wants us to share our faith with others and bring them to him. The division in this verse is pretty much God saying, "You will either believe in me, or not, there is no middle ground." Right? That is how i am interpreting it.

There really is no middle ground. The middle ground, is standing on no ground at all, in full rebellion against God's authority, eventually ending up in the hands of a just, perfect and holy God, carrying your own sins in front of his perfect gaze. You either respond positively to the advances the Holy Spirit makes to convince you to repent, and be justified through Jesus, or you stand alone.

It is a divisive message. It is exclusive. The world doesn't like it, because people (sinners) want to continue as they do. I know from having been dead in my sins myself. They do not want to repent, and who are Christians to tell them what to do! It divides the world into false, and true, evil and good.

Ah, so it is meant to get people to see where they stand with God. And yeah, i know exactly what its like to be dead in sin. People dislike being wrong, and especially dislike knowing they are doing the wrong thing that they cannot justify.

It is also meant for you, and me, to show us that we should not expect the world to accept our message peacefully. We should not expect the world (that means all unregenerate people, those that are lost) to treat us any better, than it treated our Lord and Master, in fact, count on them not to.

It is a many faceted message; The world will be on fire, by the gospel message, and at the end of time, through peoples rejection of the gospel message, and God's judgement of the World.

Jesus hinted to his death, and Resurrection. Also showing us that he knew what it would be like, which also hints to his nature as being divine (God).

Finally he told us because of him the world would be divided. People even in families would be divided for or against him, and against each other in term.

For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

God bless you brother! I miss having the option to tip also.
They shouldn't neglect updating the guilds, like they are updating
the rest of Gaia.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:55 am
Reading Spurgeon's sermon;

Quote:
Furthermore, we must notice that if any man is in Christ he is a new creature, and the creation of him bears some resemblance to the creation of the world. I have at other times gone through that wonderful first chapter of the book of Genesis, which is a Bible in miniature, and I have shown you how it illustrates the spiritual creation. Behold by nature we lie like chaos: a mass of disorder, confusion, and darkness. As in the old creation so in the new, the Spirit of God broods over us and moves upon the face of all things. Then the word of the Lord comes and says within us, as previously in chaos and old night, “Let there be light,” and there is light. After light there comes a division of the light from the darkness, and we learn to call them by their names. The light is “day” and the darkness is “night.” So to us there is a knowing and a naming of things, and a discerning of differences in matters which before we confounded when we thought darkness was light. After a while there comes out in us the lower forms of spiritual life. As in the earth there came grasses and herbs, so in us there come desire, hope, and sorrow for sin. Eventually there appeared on the globe fowl and fish, and beasts, and living things, and life beyond all count. So also in the new creation, from having life we go on to have it more abundantly. God by degrees created all his works, until at last he had finished all the host of them, and even so he works on until he completes in us the new creation and looks upon us with rejoicing. Then he brings to us a day of rest, blessing us and causing us to enter into his rest because of his finished work. We could draw a very beautiful parallel if we had time, but you can think it out for yourselves.

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:17 am
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green
911child
Garland-Green

God bless you brother! I miss having the option to tip also.
They shouldn't neglect updating the guilds, like they are updating
the rest of Gaia.
True, but i think that they just assume that guilds are tight, so we would just inform each other if we like or dislike a post.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:59 am
Quote:
First off, where you finished? It looks undone. Secondly, I couldn't get past the first sentence. You win. Whatever you were trying to accomplish or prove with your email, you WIN. I posted this on tumblr and Facebook and even THEY couldn't read past the first sentence. It was pure torture. I didn't think something like that could exist via text. You win sir, you win. -Lee

Email from the owner (s?) of the site.

I really hope my English isn't as bad as I have the impression he thinks it is. lol

My reply:

Quote:
I'd like to apologize if my points were vague, or my English poor.
If you'd like I don't mind rephrasing things that were unclear.
I am not trying to win. That was not why I sent you a reply to your
interpretation of Bible verses, but to show you that you are taking them
out of context, and interpreting them in light of your presuppositions.

Edit:
Ah... I went on to Facebook and read the comments. I've got nothing to worry about when it comes to my spelling, or any of the points I brought up being weak arguments for that matter. They just don't want to understand, and start of with a hostile presupposition. They have the answers they want before reading the text. You can't take something out of context, interpret it outside the culture and meaning behind it, outside a Christian historical interpretation and context, then say that you know what it means. That is revisionism at its finest and a very bad exegesis.

The Black Atheists;
https://www.facebook.com/BlackAtheists

Answer:

Quote:
Don't worry about it. You can't exactly try interpret something to me that is clear as day what it meant. Thanks for trying though.

Facebook Comments;

Quote:
Terri Coleman-Williams I stopped at Jesus does not kill children.
He is right.
Jesus is a fictional character.
9 · 4 hours ago

Black Atheists Should have kept reading. He mentions voluntary slavery in Exodus. Lol! -Lee
4 · 4 hours ago

Black Atheists This is the post he was referencing his tripe to. -Lee

http://blackatheists.wordpress.com/.../bible-verses-you.../

Bible Verses You Won't Read in Church
blackatheists.wordpress.com
"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, th...See More
4 · 2 hours ago

Kerriann Hargesheimer Poetic fiction can be interpreted in so many ways to mean what you want, but it does not make it true
5 · 4 hours ago

Kristin Roberts I'm glad he started with the "Jesus doesn't kill children; parents sexual immorality does". Saved me a lot of time from reading the rest of that garbage.
2 · 2 hours ago

MsDream Caterson Lmfao! Also stopped at Jesus kills children. Scrolled down and skimed through the rest. I was forced to listen to this bs as a child no way Im willingly reading it as an adult.
3 · 4 hours ago

Cherie Hussain Burroughs This is where I draw the line! Its like talking to a brick wall. Some people are not worth the time.
3 · 4 hours ago

Cherie Hussain Burroughs I couldn't get past the first comment.....
3 · 4 hours ago

Rod Burch I read it all and what I see is an individual twisting him/herself into knots in order to justify belief. If the belief were correct it certainly would not require all of that demonstrative restructuring for it to make sense.
2 minutes ago · Edited

Danielle Komarek ok, so whatever JC said is open to missinterputation(sp) and if you come up with just the opposite it is ok. mmmmmmm, this is why we cant all "get along"
4 hours ago

Jay Ladden omfg I just felt my brain shrinking
1 · 4 hours ago

Mischa Yetonia Nero-Welles This person must have a lot of time on their hands to type out something this damn long! It's like reading a Stephen King novel!

Antwann Spidey Sweeten I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't stand to read even 10% of that bullshit.
about an hour ago

Danielle Lauren Well slavery was one of those ancient institutions that the christians ******** up beyond recognition.
Originally a solution to the social problems of destitution and still used in this way today in the middle east where poor familys sell their excess daughters, the romans & egyptians institutionalised it causing mass unemployment of free citizens to the point where for many, voluntary slavery was a better option than the freedom to starve in the street.

Excellent that he posted it on their Facebook! Perhaps the Holy Spirit can use it to convict someone. smile Though I doubt my own ability to persuade I don't doubt the Holy Spirit's.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:23 am
On a side note: these are not just atheists naturally expressing their unbelief, they are more what you would call antitheists; hostile to the thought of a deity, opposing the idea fervently. When visiting their sites the first thing you notice is that their focus is on opposing a belief in God, on ridiculing and belittling. They are bent on making those who believe feel bad that they do. They are determined to eradicate and demolish a belief in God using what ever means necessary. They find their identity in a hostile attitude towards Christianity, not in a lack of belief in a deity, but in an aggressive opposition to belief in a deity. Many of the popular spokesmen of the new atheism today, are aggressive antitheists. I think that we as Christians should be aware that though sometimes we come across someone honestly questioning Christianity, and having legitimate personal concerns, it is not always the case, sometimes there is an agenda behind it from individuals not really looking to have their objections rationally answered. Individuals who will as soon as you have provided reasonable answers to their claims, go in search for new objections. We should take care that we do not think their rejection is based on how well we presented our counter-arguments. Ultimately we know what spirit is behind this attitude, and that this hostility does not have its original origin in that person, because; "we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." - Ephesians 6:12  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:35 am
How would you approach this?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Christian apologetics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items