Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions
Heavens Gate Cult Inside Story Full Documentary

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:56 am
The group began in the early 1970s when Marshall Applewhite was recovering from a heart attack during which he claimed to have had a near-death experience. He came to believe that he and his nurse, Bonnie Nettles, were "the Two", that is, the two witnesses spoken of in the Book of Revelation 11:3 in the Bible. After a brief and unsuccessful attempt to run an inspirational bookstore, they began traveling around the United States of America giving talks about their belief system. As with some other New Age faiths they combined Christian doctrine (particularly the ideas of salvation and apocalypse) with the concept of evolutionary advancement and elements of science fiction, particularly travel to other worlds and dimensions.

Applewhite and Nettles used a variety of aliases over the years, notably "Bo and Peep" and "Do and Ti" (pronounced doe and tea). The group also had a variety of names—prior to the adoption of the name Heaven's Gate (and at the time Vallée studied the group), it was known as Human Individual Metamorphosis (HIM). The group re-invented and renamed itself several times and had a variety of recruitment methods. Marshall believed that he was directly related to Jesus, meaning he was an "Evolutionary Kingdom Level Above Human".

Heavens Gate Cult Inside Story Full Documentary

Quote from the documentary:
"If you want to go to the Kingdom you have to follow me,
cause I am the guy who's got the key at the moment."

...Wow... Making himself equal to Christ...
'
Mark 13:5-6
Jesus began to say to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. "Many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He!' and will mislead many.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:24 pm
That's just...I can't even. I couldn't even make it all the way through that video, that cult is just so sick, so wrong, so... It left me with a disturbing feeling just watching as much as I did.

My heart just grieves for all those people who were lead astray by that man and killed themselves because of him. As well as all the people who were hurt, still hurt, and/or stuck in that mindset.

Just looking at his eyes, there's just something almost...demonic about them? I'm not sure if that's quite the word I want to use...but just looking at him there was something completely and utterly disturbing and creepy about him. Even some of the people that they interviewed, you could tell from what they were saying they were still not quite over it and still somewhat stuck in that mindset. It's horrible.

My heart grieves that this is not a single case, there are so many cults and false religions out there that severely damage people and their families. Thank you for this information, it makes me want to be praying for people who are led into cults.  

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 am
Jewelies
That's just...I can't even. I couldn't even make it all the way through that video, that cult is just so sick, so wrong, so... It left me with a disturbing feeling just watching as much as I did.

My heart just grieves for all those people who were lead astray by that man and killed themselves because of him. As well as all the people who were hurt, still hurt, and/or stuck in that mindset.

Just looking at his eyes, there's just something almost...demonic about them? I'm not sure if that's quite the word I want to use...but just looking at him there was something completely and utterly disturbing and creepy about him. Even some of the people that they interviewed, you could tell from what they were saying they were still not quite over it and still somewhat stuck in that mindset. It's horrible.

My heart grieves that this is not a single case, there are so many cults and false religions out there that severely damage people and their families. Thank you for this information, it makes me want to be praying for people who are led into cults.

I think you are pretty fair in your assessment.

1 Timothy 4:1
The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.

2 Timothy 3:13
But evil men and seducers shall grow worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Though he deceived 32 people, he was ultimately a victim himself. It is hard to say whether or not he was possessed, but there was most certainly an antichrist spirit behind it all. Anything that sets itself in place of Jesus, or in opposition to Jesus is by definition anti-Christ, and demonic. Deception is horrible. Deception stealing parts of the truth, way and life to make itself more appealing is repugnant. I think to those who know the truth it is, it is what makes it so upsetting. To me deception also has a different quality than the Truth, than what Jesus does. It is almost as if you can sense that it is off sometimes, without knowing how on the spot.

Praying is good. ^^ Pray always!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:27 pm
Garland-Green
Jewelies

I think you are pretty fair in your assessment.

1 Timothy 4:1
The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.

2 Timothy 3:13
But evil men and seducers shall grow worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Though he deceived 32 people, he was ultimately a victim himself. It is hard to say whether or not he was possessed, but there was most certainly an antichrist spirit behind it all. Anything that sets itself in place of Jesus, or in opposition to Jesus is by definition anti-Christ, and demonic. Deception is horrible. Deception stealing parts of the truth, way and life to make itself more appealing is repugnant. I think to those who know the truth it is, it is what makes it so upsetting. To me deception also has a different quality than the Truth, than what Jesus does. It is almost as if you can sense that it is off sometimes, without knowing how on the spot.

Praying is good. ^^ Pray always!
I think that's God giving us a discerning spirit so we have the ability to know that, even if it kind of sounds legit, he nudges us with a feeling that something isn't quite right and we need to not fall into it.

Yes, I agree! Praying is always a good thing to do. Even if there isn't a lot I can do physically, I think prayers are a lot more powerful than people think. I know I used to think 'I wish I could do more, but all I can do is pray...' but I've realized that it's not like that, prayer is powerful and God does listen to us when we pray. :3  

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

SolaceSerenitySerendipity

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:01 am
UFO cults are insidiously evil.

Heaven's Gate shows how normally rational and intelligent people can be deceived by the demonic message of "aliens" and UFOs

Heaven's Gate mirror site: Heaven's Gate  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 pm
SolaceSerenitySerendipity
UFO cults are insidiously evil.

Heaven's Gate shows how normally rational and intelligent people can be deceived by the demonic message of "aliens" and UFOs

Heaven's Gate mirror site: Heaven's Gate

Very true. As you pointed out the real source of this message is not benevolent beings on distant planets, but evil demonic spirits, and the purpose is to destroy, mislead and to blind to the truth.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces