Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Seventh Year Classes
Mythology V ~ Updated Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:58 pm
User Image
xxxx× × ×xxxxS E V E N T HxxxY E A RxxxM Y T H O L O G Yxxxx× × ×xxxx

User Image

Taught by Professor Amata Harlowe
                                          Tuesday :: Block 5 :: 2:00pm to 2:45pm

User Image

xxxx× × ×xxxxThe Lessonxxxx× × ×xxxx

Mythology can refer either to the collected myths of a group of people—their body of stories which they tell to explain nature, history, and customs—or to the study of such myths. As a collection of such stories, mythology is an important feature of every culture. Various origins for myths have been proposed, ranging from personification of natural phenomena to truthful or hyperbolic accounts of historical events, to explanations of existing ritual. Although the term is complicated by its implicit condescension, mythologizing is not just an ancient or primitive practice, as shown by contemporary mythopoeia such as urban legends and the expansive fictional mythoi created by fantasy novels and Japanese manga. A culture's collective mythology helps convey belonging, shared and religious experience, behavioral models, and moral and practical lessons. As the study of myth, mythology dates back to antiquity. Mythology is taught as an elective subject from the third year on at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

User Image

xxxx× × ×xxxxThe Classroomxxxx× × ×xxxx

The Mythology classroom is a small, comfortable space, bathed in the soft purple and golden glow. The light emanates from the center of several large tiger and stargazer lillies, which float about the room's ceiling. There are no desks, but rather serveral low tables, covered in purple table cloths with silver and gold patterns. These are surrounded, not by chairs, but several large, soft satin pillows in tones matching the cloths. The walls are covered in various tapestries depicting scenes from both muggle and wizard myth, all in a monochromatic sepia tone with purple accents. Any space not covered in the tapestries is taken up by bookshelves. Two shelves closest to the back of the room have several copies of the various texts used in the class for students who chose to take it at the last minute. In front of these two shelves are a table, slightly higher than the others, with only one pillow directly behind it, which serves as Professor Harlowe's desk. The desk is covered in stacks of books and papers with various notes and lesson plans written across them. There is no manner of organization, the papers are simply stacked wherever she could find room. To the left of the desk is a small board, where any notes for the students to copy are written.

x× × × Notice to Roleplayers × × ×x

Classroom Interaction:
                                          × Each lesson has "discussion prompt" which poses a question or topic of debate for students ×
                                          × To "participate" in this class, you may post your character responding to either one of the prompts, or a fellow student who has already posted ×
                                          × Please specify in your post which lesson you are responding to ×
                                          × If you want professor input, tag MJ Spooks ×
                                          × If the discussion in class gets heated/would require professor intervention, tag MJ Spooks ×
                                          × Participation in lessons will earn house points; starting fights will lose them ×
                                          × You may also use this space as a "free roleplay" space to chat with friends, but be warned: ×
                                          × The professor may give you detention or take house points for failing to take the lesson seriously ×
                                          × Detentions will be served and homework should be turned in at Professor Harlowe's Office ×

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:01 pm
xxxx× × ×xxxxSEVENTH Y E A R LESSONS A N D HOMEWORKxxxx× × ×xxxx

:: Note ::
In order to receive credit, participation and homework may not be the same as or similar to previous posts in the year they're from.
They should either choose a different specific topic, or showcase how a character's opinions have changed over time.

× Lesson One ×
Third Year Review

Beedle the Bard :: The Fountain of Fair Fortune
The Wizard and the Hopping Pot :: The Warlock's Hairy Heart

Discussion Prompts:
× One of the most important things to know about the Bard is that he was a controversial figure in his time, and is still considered to be one by some. His views were ahead of their time, radical for the period. Can anyone tell me why, or offer up any interesting information on the Bard? Or, if you have a question, feel free to ask.
× This story has all the makings of your classic fairy tale. It had trials and tribulations, characters with tragic backstories rising above their troubles, romance, and an ending meant to inspire. In spite of being by and large a positive story, it has often been attacked by certain subsets of the magical community. Can anyone guess why?
× The controversial nature of this particular story abounds; it has been written and rewritten time and time again by people who did not agree with its message and wished to bastardize it for their own gains. Can anyone tell me what about this story offended so many people?
× This story is, in a word, horrifying. It was meant to evoke feelings of fear and shock. This is a far cry from the Bard's other stories, which are typically considered to be much more light-hearted. It has been suggested that the rather graphic nature of the story was intentional; the Bard meant to shock his readers so that they would always remember the story, to ensure that the lesson it held stuck with them. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this particular story is?

Homework Assignments:
× Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.
× Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.
× Write a short essay on the phrase 'to have a hairy heart' and why you believe the heart became so cold and twisted in its years of seclusion.

× Lesson Two ×
Fourth Year Review

The Difference Between History and Mythology
The Quintaped :: Unicorn Blood :: The Sorting Hat

Discussion Prompts:
× Share your personal favorite mythological story with the class. Discuss why our ancestors may have believed it, and what contributed to loss of belief in it.
× Do you believe it is possible for the Quintaped to be a family of Transfigured wizards? Provide evidence to support your opinion.
× Discuss whether or not you believe in the curse of the blood and what you believe the ill effects of drinking said blood might be.
× The hat adamantly claims to've never gotten a sorting wrong; however, history is full of examples of seemingly questionable sortings. What do you believe contributed to the hat's odd choices in these instances?

Homework Assignments:
× Put yourself in the position of an ancient scholar, and write a short 'myth' regarding a common, everyday occurrence, such as the phases of the moon or a thunderstorm.
× Mythology is often intended as a cautionary tale. Write a short essay describing what lesson the originator of this myth might have intended the listener to learn.
× Mythology is often intended as a cautionary tale. Write a short essay describing what lesson the originator of this myth might have intended the listener to learn.
× Recount your own sorting, and discuss what traits you believe contributed to your placement.

× Lesson Three ×
Fifth Year Review

The Founders of Hogwarts :: The Chamber of Secrets
The Deathly Hallows :: The Boy Who Lived

Discussion Prompts:
× We are now many centuries removed from the actual historical reality of the school's founders. How do you suppose their reputations have been changed or embellished over time?
× We now know the existence of the Chamber of Secrets to be very real. However, it's likely that over time, details regarding its existence may change or be forgotten. Which details do you think will be forgotten, and which do you believe will prevail? How do you suppose the story will be embellished?
× If you believe that the story is true and the Hallows exist, where do you suppose they are now? Presumably Harry Potter possesses the cloak, but what about the other two?
× Think of what you know about Harry Potter, and how much of it is fact versus how much is speculation. How do you suppose his story might be embellished further, the less people remember of his actual life?

Homework Assignments:
× Choose the founder for any house but your own. Write a short essay about what we know about them, comparing and contrasting known fact with legend and rumor.
× Research and write an essay detailing another myth regarding the construction of Hogwarts castle.
× If given the opportunity, which of the Hallows would you take for your own? Consider the Tale of the Three Brothers when forming your thoughts and write a short essay outlining them.
× Imagine yourself in the place of Harry Potter, and speculate on the sorts of rumors people might tell about you, based on only a surface view of your own life.

× Lesson Four ×
Sixth Year Review

The Differences Between Muggle and Magical Mythology
Crossovers Between Muggle and Magical Mythology
Mythology of Ancient Cultures :: Famous Muggle Myths

Discussion Prompts:
× Consider a myth you know, either native to Muggle or Magical myth, and consider it from the opposite angle; what details would a person from the other side be able to explain, and which aspects would confound them?
× The lesson outline only goes over a few broad examples of the shared traits and history of mythology between wizards and muggles. What are some others not covered here? Or, what are some more specific details, or additional examples, of those provided?
× Is there a certain ancient culture whose mythology you are familiar with? Share what you know about them with the class.
× Choose one of the myths you're familiar with and give the class a more thorough account of the story, or voice your opinions on the story a classmate has shared.

Homework Assignments:
× Write a short essay comparing and contrasting muggle and magical culture and how myths are derived from each.
× Consider stories you were told as a child that you now know to be just that, stories, but that you believed in when you were young. If you grew up in a magical household, consider if there is a muggle equivalent. If you grew up in a muggle household, consider the reverse.
× Choose an ancient culture you are unfamiliar with. Research an aspect of their mythology, such as a story or an entity, and write about it.
× Research a myth not discussed in class and write a short essay on its themes.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 pm
Holy water cannot help you now
A thousand armies couldn't keep me out
I don't want your money, I don't want your crown
See, I've come to burn your kingdom down
And no rivers and no lakes can put the fire out
I'm gonna raise the stakes, I'm gonna smoke you out

MARINA EUGENIE ALDRED

PROUD HALFBLOOD SLYTHERIN
SEVENTH YEAR PREFECT AND HEAD GIRL
BRITISH YOUTH REPRESENTATIVE TO THE WIZENGAMOT
User Image
Seven devils all around you: Content | Seven devils in your house: ... | See, you were dead when you woke up this morning: Seventh Years | And you'll be dead before the day is done: Mythology

Marina entered her favorite class after Defense Against the Dark Arts, smiling at Professor Harlowe. This would be her last year being taught by the woman, and she'd had such a big impact on her life in just six year.The redheaded girl was extremely grateful to her. She raised her hand immediately. "The first thing we learned third year was Beedle the Bard, if I remember right," she began, glancing around at her classmates. "We talked about how his stories were considered controversial by some at the time, but ended up being widely accepted by the wizarding community for their unique morals."

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

And now all your love will be exorcised
And we will find your sayings to be paradox
And it's an even sum, it's a melody
It's a battle cry, it's a symphony
They can keep me out, 'til I tear the walls
'Til I take your heart, and I take your soul
For what has been done, cannot be undone
In the evil's heart, in the evil's soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:00 pm
User Image
Amata is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in her Classroomspace
CURRENTLY // fancying Grayson Powellspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Studentsspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Happyspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'It's so nice to be back... and really be back.' spacespac

დ დ დ The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes
But we are hiding in a safer place.
დ დ დ
═════════════════════════════════════════════════

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lesson. "Okay, students, last class we went over the lessons from your third year; this week we're going over fourth year. So, who can tell me what we learned that year?" Even after all this time teaching, Amata couldn't help but feel a bit silly during these lessons. It all felt very odd to be asking her practically adult students what they'd learned when they were fourteen. Still, it was necessary; she wanted to ensure that they all did well on their NEWTs, after all.

დ დ დ Under covers staying safe and warm
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore.
                                                          დ დ დ

User Image

(( OOC: ))
5 points to Marina for last lesson

Xistund
Rufus Flinker

The Forgotten Weasley
Marina Aldred

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:25 pm
A thousand armies couldn't keep me out
I don't want your money, I don't want your crown
And no rivers and no lakes can put the fire out
I'm gonna raise the stakes, I'm gonna smoke you out

MARINA EUGENIE ALDRED

PROUD HALFBLOOD SLYTHERIN
SEVENTH YEAR PREFECT AND HEAD GIRL
BRITISH YOUTH REPRESENTATIVE TO THE WIZENGAMOT
User Image
Seven devils all around you: Content | Seven devils in your house: ... | See, you were dead when you woke up this morning: Seventh Years | And you'll be dead before the day is done: Mythology

Marina thought back to fourth year, and raised her hand. "We learned about the myth of the Quintaped, aka the Hairy MacBoon. According to legend, a clash between two clans led to the entire MacBoon clan being transfigured into Quintapeds, which were much more dangerous and powerful as five legged beasts then they were as wizards. They wiped out the McCliverts, who had supposedly transfigured them in the first place." That was about all she remembered.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

And now all your love will be exorcised
And we will find your sayings to be paradox
And it's an even sum, it's a melody
It's a battle cry, it's a symphony
They can keep me out, 'til I tear the walls
'Til I take your heart, and I take your soul
For what has been done, cannot be undone
In the evil's heart, in the evil's soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:15 pm
User Image
Adalaide is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Studious in Locationspace
CURRENTLY // loving Chrisspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Marinaspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Calmspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'An entire year of review? That sucks.' spacespac

❀ ❀ ❀ I'm trying to remember why I was afraid
To be myself and let the covers fall away.
❀ ❀ ❀

spaceAdalaide took a seat next to Marina and flashed the redhead a smile. She didn't bother pulling out any supplies; they were just reviewing, after all. She still had all her notes from all her classes, all filed away in a different journal for each one. She did listen, though; Professor Harlowe was pretty nice, she didn't want to be rude to the woman. She listened as the redhead next to her as she described the first lesson of fourth year, about the Hairy MacBoon. Ada had mixed feelings about that lesson; it'd been... creepy. She wasn't sure how she felt about that. She supposed she wasn't averse to scary stories, after all, but she hardly read them for fun. She tapped her fingers on the tabletop, her expression thoughtful. "After that, we learned about the curse associated with drinking Unicorn blood, and about the legend of the wicked man who began the curse by offending God by killing and drinking the blood of one." Now that lesson, she had no mixed feelings about; it was an awful, awful story, and sad. The fact that people so evil really existed disturbed her. She hoped that the curse was real, because anyone who killed and drank the blood of a unicorn deserved it. The fact that some of them thought immortality was worth the risk made it even worse.

❀ ❀ ❀ I guess I never had someone like you
                                                          To help me, to help me fit in my skin
                                                          ❀ ❀ ❀

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:16 am
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐
                                                          ╔═══════════════════════════════╗

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          Looking Lovely in her Classroom with her Students
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Nostalgic
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx
                                                          ❝ This'll be my last year with this bunch, ❞

╚═══════════════════════════════╝

The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes, დ დ დxxx
                                                          But we are hiding in a safer place. დ დ დxxxxxx
                                                          Under covers staying dry and warm; დ დ დxxxxxxxxx
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore. დ დ დxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          ═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

spaceAmata entered the classroom with a gentle smile, eager to start the new term. She assumed her typical stance, sitting on the edge of her desk, back straight, and looked over the classroom a moment before beginning. "Hello, everyone, welcome back. This will be your last year in my class, so I'm sure that by now you remember my name and my policies, so I don't see any need to go over them again. So, let's begin."

spaceAmata paused, giving them a moment to let that sink in. Not that she expected problems from any of them, but one could never be too sure, after all. After a decent pause, she began a short lecture. "Now, unlike previous years, this year is entirely meant to be used as time to review previous years so that you can do well on your NEWTs. We'll be starting with your third year and moving on until we've gone over everything. We can discuss the previous lessons, go over things you think may have forgotten or aren't entirely clear on... whatever we need to do to make sure you all do well on your quizzes. So, who wants to start us off? Just like previous years, any contribution earns house points; even if it's a question about something you've forgotten." She pursed her lips, waiting. Her students tended to be very involved in her lessons; she hoped that most of the year involved more discussion and less questions.

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          xxxდ დ დ It starts in my toes, makes me crinkle my nose.
                                                          xxxxxxდ დ დ Wherever it goes, I always know
                                                          xxxxxxxxxდ დ დ That you make me smile, please stay for a while.
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxდ დ დ Just take your time, wherever you go.

User Image

shabatha
                                                          Shayna Snow
                                                          Present: 0/4
                                                          Absent: 4/4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:02 am
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Nostalgic
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lesson. "Okay, students, last class we went over the lessons from your third year; this week we're going over fourth year. So, who can tell me what we learned that year?" Even after all this time teaching, Amata couldn't help but feel a bit silly during these lessons. It all felt very odd to be asking her practically adult students what they'd learned when they were fourteen. Still, it was necessary; she wanted to ensure that they all did well on their NEWTs, after all.

User Image

shabatha
                                                          Shayna Snow

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:20 pm
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Nostalgic
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lesson. "Okay, students, last class we went over the lessons from your fourth year; this week we're going over fifth year. So, who can tell me what we learned that year?" Even after all this time teaching, Amata couldn't help but feel a bit silly during these lessons. It all felt very odd to be asking her practically adult students what they'd learned when they were fifteen. Still, it was necessary; she wanted to ensure that they all did well on their NEWTs, after all.

User Image

shabatha
                                                          Shayna Snow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:24 pm
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Nostalgic
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lesson. "Okay, students, last class we went over the lessons from your fifth year; this week we're going over sixth year. So, who can tell me what we learned that year?" Even after all this time teaching, Amata couldn't help but feel a bit silly during these lessons. It all felt very odd to be asking her practically adult students what they'd learned when they were sixteen. Still, it was necessary; she wanted to ensure that they all did well on their NEWTs, after all.

User Image

shabatha
                                                          Shayna Snow

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

shabatha

Desirable Prophet

10,375 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:01 pm
User Image

User Image

。∴°•.・☆location☆・.•°∴。*゚: Mythology
                                                      。∴°•.・★thoughts★・.•°∴。*゚: class
                                                              。∴°•.・☆companions☆・.•°∴。*゚: class
                                                                      。∴°•.・★wearing★・.•°∴。*゚: just her uniform

User Image

Shayna entered class and sat down. They were going over what had happened the previous years for NEWTS. When asked what had happened last year. "Last year, we learned about the tale of the Three Brothers." She offered as a way to get the class going." She said and then let others answer.

★ - -Ravenclaw- - ☆ - - Seeker - - ★ - -Seventh Year- - ☆ - -Prefect- - ★

User ImageXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
User Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:00 pm
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Nostalgic
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx

spaceAmata entered the classroom with a gentle smile, eager to start the new term. She assumed her typical stance, sitting on the edge of her desk, back straight, and looked over the classroom a moment before beginning. "Hello, everyone, welcome back. This will be your last year in my class, so I'm sure that by now you remember my name and my policies, so I don't see any need to go over them again. So, let's begin."

spaceAmata paused, giving them a moment to let that sink in. Not that she expected problems from any of them, but one could never be too sure, after all. After a decent pause, she began a short lecture. "Now, unlike previous years, this year is entirely meant to be used as time to review previous years so that you can do well on your NEWTs. We'll be starting with your third year and moving on until we've gone over everything. We can discuss the previous lessons, go over things you think may have forgotten or aren't entirely clear on... whatever we need to do to make sure you all do well on your quizzes. So, who wants to start us off? Just like previous years, any contribution earns house points; even if it's a question about something you've forgotten." She pursed her lips, waiting. Her students tended to be very involved in her lessons; she hoped that most of the year involved more discussion and less questions.

User Image

shabatha
                                                          Rowan Elliott

Essy ze Ninja
                                                          Christian Barrett

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:38 pm
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Nostalgic
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx

User Image

shabatha
                                                          Rowan Elliott

Essy ze Ninja
                                                          Christian Barrett

Seventh Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]