Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Bible Verse Question.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:28 pm
So my bible group at my college went over this bible verse. Is it saying that believers should in a relationship with non-believers?

2 Corinthians 6:14
New King James Version (NKJV)
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

A member of my bible wanted me to break off my relationship with my girlfriend, Exarielle BlackLaw, but she is a believer in God, she was baptized as a child and wants to be re-baptized. I really dont understand why he wanted us to. Yeah, for a short time we started to drift from God, but we are now aiming to be a more godly couple. Honestly, it was upsetting that he wanted us to, I explained that she is a believer, she wants to be a disciple of God, the only real difference between us is she has been baptized as a child and i was not.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:52 am
911child
So my bible group at my college went over this bible verse. Is it saying that believers should in a relationship with non-believers?

14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

My group wanted me to break off my relationship with my girlfriend, but she is a believer in God, she was baptized as a child and wants to be re-baptized. I really dont understand why they want us to. Yeah, for a short time we started to drift from God, but we are now aiming to be a more godly couple. Honestly, it was upsetting that they wanted us to, I explained that she is a believer, she wants to be a disciple of God, the only real difference between us is she has been baptized as a child and i was not.

It seems that the group that you are studying with may have strong opinions regarding paed obaptism (infant baptism) vs credobaptism (baptism of those who make a profession of faith).

This is a thorny issue and it has been a divisive one among Christians. I have had trouble myself wrestling with my own feelings regarding the practice of infant baptism, but I find it disturbing that the group you are with considers your gf to be in the same category as an unbeliever, especially when she is willing to be re-baptized eek

The passage in question has been one that is used to dissuade intimate relationships between believers and non-believers, but this group is claiming authority to pronounce people as believers and non-believers, even in the face of your gf professing Christ (if what you say is true).

Many good Christians have faced this same issue and have come down on differing sides. You may want to view the linked resource to investigate the baptism issue: Baptism Debate

I will be praying for you and your gf. I think what disturbs me about your post is that they are judging someone that says they are a believer as being a non-believer.... only God truly knows her heart.

Peace  

SolaceSerenitySerendipity

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:10 am
911child

My group wanted me to break off my relationship with my girlfriend, but she is a believer in God, she was baptized as a child and wants to be re-baptized. I really dont understand why they want us to. Yeah, for a short time we started to drift from God, but we are now aiming to be a more godly couple. Honestly, it was upsetting that they wanted us to, I explained that she is a believer, she wants to be a disciple of God, the only real difference between us is she has been baptized as a child and i was not.

It seems that the group that you are studying with may have strong opinions regarding paed obaptism (infant baptism) vs credobaptism (baptism of those who make a profession of faith).

This is a thorny issue and it has been a divisive one among Christians. I have had trouble myself wrestling with my own feelings regarding the practice of infant baptism, but I find it disturbing that the group you are with considers your gf to be in the same category as an unbeliever, especially when she is willing to be re-baptized eek

The passage in question has been one that is used to dissuade intimate relationships between believers and non-believers, but does this group is claiming authority to pronounce people as believers and non-believers, even in the face of your gf professing Christ (if what you say is true).

Many good Christians have faced this same issue and have come down on differing sides. You may want to view the linked resource to investigate the baptism issue: Baptism Debate

I will be praying for you and your gf. I think what disturbs me about your post is that they are judging someone that says they are a believer as being a non-believer.... only God truly knows her heart.

Peace

I agree that its disturbing, in a way, that they are willing to assume someone's faith, though i have told them that she is a believer.

Though i agree with them, a baptism is a way to proclaim to the world, to heaven and hell, that you are going to give up your old life and that you are going to do your bests to be draw close to God. Which is a decision that babies cant make as they cannot grasp the meaning. But i also dont see it wrong with parents who do baptize their infants.

I wish to thank you for your prayers.

Also, side note: I have no reason to lie.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:13 am
I am more than happy to pray for you. smile
God bless you richly in his mercy and grace!  

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:42 am
I am more than happy to pray for you. smile
God bless you richly in his mercy and grace!

Thank you, i edited my girlfriend into the original message. But i also should note, its not the group as a hole, but a sole person in the group who headed the message.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:26 am
911child

Thank you, i edited my girlfriend into the original message. But i also should note, its not the group as a hole, but a sole person in the group who headed the message.

How about the opinion of the group question
I personally believe you that she is a believer and thus you both can be a Godly couple. wink
Don't worry much about a comment from one single person without proper base. 3nodding  

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:59 am
Meili Kyumee Youichi
911child

How about the opinion of the group question
I personally believe you that she is a believer and thus you both can be a Godly couple. wink
Don't worry much about a comment from one single person without proper base. 3nodding

I dunno, i didnt ask them. And i'm trying not to. As she does believe in God and what not, i see no problem with us dating. While i understand the verse that says you shouldnt be pared with non-believers, It doesnt hurt to show them God.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:59 am
Hello, this is 911child's girlfriend here! ^^ We don't go to the same college, but I was upset and confused by this individual's claims that we shouldn't be together over a small difference, especially since I'm more than happy to be re-baptized if that is what it takes.

Seeing as I have never met the person who wanted us to end our relationship, I felt unfairly judged upon hearing such sentiments. Yes, we've had a few bumps and hiccups in our spiritual journey, but that is only to be expected--we're all sinful and imperfect by nature. I'm not angry at the person who said these things--just hurt that a stranger would judge me and my relationship in this way. The both of us care for each other a lot, and having a stranger say that we should part ways is, understandably, upsetting.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers in this unsettling predicament. ^^ God will help us figure this out, I'm sure.  

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 am
Exarielle BlackLaw
Hello, this is 911child's girlfriend here! ^^ We don't go to the same college, but I was upset and confused by this individual's claims that we shouldn't be together over a small difference, especially since I'm more than happy to be re-baptized if that is what it takes.

Seeing as I have never met the person who wanted us to end our relationship, I felt unfairly judged upon hearing such sentiments. Yes, we've had a few bumps and hiccups in our spiritual journey, but that is only to be expected--we're all sinful and imperfect by nature. I'm not angry at the person who said these things--just hurt that a stranger would judge me and my relationship in this way. The both of us care for each other a lot, and having a stranger say that we should part ways is, understandably, upsetting.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers in this unsettling predicament. ^^ God will help us figure this out, I'm sure.

Hey dear, pleased to meet you. emotion_hug

Your boyfriend is a great man, eager to keep pursuing God and sharing his findings. I am very pleased with his contributions to our beloved guild smile
You should be prod of him too emotion_dealwithit

I can see that you are hurt by that stranger's comment. But hey, it is just a stranger, an outsider! In addition, nobody is perfect in their word either.

James 3:2 ESV
For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

Please forgive him for his words for he may not fully understand what he said. Don't take his insult at heart, it won't benefit you, but it will give the opposite.

Proverbs 12:16 ESV
The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult.

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.
-Lewis B. Smedes

Furthermore, passing this point, you will be a stronger couple, strengthen like pure silver to be wise in dealing with more offensive environment in the future.
I believe that everything works in God's control emotion_bigheart  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 pm
If she is a true Christian, then I see no reason why they would want you two to break up, nor do I think you two should break up  

King Shining Heaven

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32 pm
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Exarielle BlackLaw

Your boyfriend is a great man, eager to keep pursuing God and sharing his findings. I am very pleased with his contributions to our beloved guild smile

I can see that you are hurt by that stranger's comment. But hey, it is just a stranger, an outsider! In addition, nobody is perfect in their word either.

For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

Please forgive him for his words for he may not fully understand what he said. Don't take his insult at heart, it won't benefit you, but it will give the opposite.

-Lewis B. Smedes

Furthermore, passing this point, you will be a stronger couple, strengthen like pure silver to be wise in dealing with more offensive environment in the future.

Thank you for your support! ^^ I've come to be pretty proud of him myself, and have actually been lurking around this guild for a while... I just haven't really had anything noteworthy to say. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:09 am
Exarielle BlackLaw

Thank you for your support! ^^ I've come to be pretty proud of him myself, and have actually been lurking around this guild for a while... I just haven't really had anything noteworthy to say. XD

You are welcome. smile
It's good to have you around, feel free to express yourself 3nodding
Nice avi btw blaugh  

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:21 pm
Young King under Heaven
If she is a true Christian, then I see no reason why they would want you two to break up, nor do I think you two should break up

I feel that it is some fault mine, I word things differently and talk differently then people. This could be the reason, but after multiple times of me repeating myself, i see not how it can be confused over and over.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:25 pm
Exarielle BlackLaw
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Exarielle BlackLaw

-Lewis B. Smedes

Heh.. I'm not to used to anyone being proud of me. I just stood my ground and attempted to show them that you are a believer in God and willing to do what it takes to be baptized. smile Feel free to post what ever, You may have seen all the things i posted about. Mainly just me ranting. razz  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:28 pm
This is the verse they use to suggest that we must be baptized to be saved.

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The way I had understood it is that if we are baptized in Jesus that is us accepting him into our hearts, being baptized in his blood because he died on the cross for our sins.

Am I understanding it correctly?  
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff