Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Is it a sin to donate my organs?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:25 pm
When I die, and have already consented to donate my organs..will it interfere in any way in regards to my soul?
What I mean is, if I were to donate my heart and the surgery went well with the recipient, won't I technically still be living? Because *my* heart is technically still beating? I know that there is no greater love than one who lays his life down for his friends but I also want to be careful too, for my soul's sake, that nothing will be interfered on or something.

I apologize if any of that was confusing ^ ^'
It's just that.. I'm having trouble making a choice. And I want to be 100% sure before I make an important decision.

Thanks for reading : )  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:57 pm
Jesus, our Lord and Master, gave us a sense of the worth of body parts:
"If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell. " (Matthew 5:29-30, NIV throughout)

The apostle Paul, who was taught personally by our Savior, gave us instructions about the uses of our bodies:
"Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness." (Romans 6:13)
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- this is your spiritual act of worship. " (Romans 12:1)

Jesus also gave us this definition of love:
"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:12-13)

The argument some give that we should leave this world with the same body we came with is specious. Within a year after death, the body, except for the bones, is completely decomposed and nothing remains but the "dust" from which it was formed in the first place. Does it not seem in keeping with the teaching of Jesus that if your body parts could save the lives of others, it would be more than selfish to deny the use of parts that you no longer have any use for and which will shortly disappear? Those who are already dead "in Christ" at the time of His return will be resurrected with spirit bodies and none of the flesh will remain.

The "rest of the dead" will be resurrected with physical bodies, after the millennial reign of 1,000 years by Jesus, but their bodies long before, in some cases centuries and millennia before, were decomposed and scattered to the winds. The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended (Revelation 20:5)

I suppose one could find reasons not to be an organ donor, but it should not be based upon the myth that when resurrected, one's body might be short the organs donated.

God said to the first man - the one He created:
"By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return." (Genesis 3:19)

Organ donation is, of course, a personal choice each of us has to make but a good case can be made that allowing them to be used in keeping other people alive, or to allow them to see, or allow them to be more healthy, is better than allowing them to turn to dust.  

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:10 pm
Thank you for posting the question!
I never had that question in mind and always believe that it is following Jesus' example of "laying down our life for our friends".- if we donate our organs.

I believe your motivation matter.
I want to donate my organs to non believer; so that in the prolonged life they had, they may know Christ. I believe that it is acceptable.

However, if the motivation is something like I don't want to die completely; I want to deny God's law and make my organs still living in someone else's body. Then, I believe it is displeasing to God.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:40 am
This is actually a good debate - The thought though is that it would be ok seeing the fact that you are no longer using it - Though the whole matter is if the ambulance crew finds out you are they let you die - (IN most cases) so more so do you want to live or not that is all up to you - I don't care if I die than it was my time and I get go home if I don't die than yeah what's next ???  

Swordsman of God

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:02 pm
No, I don't believe it's a sin to donate your organs. The way I look at it is, a person isn't going to need them after they die, so why not give them to someone who could use them?

Likewise, I don't think it's a sin to not donate your organs, either. For me, personally, I am an organ donor, but I believe it's a decision everyone has to make for themselves and what they feel comfortable with. Also if they're married, I do think it's a decision that needs to be talked about between the couple, for various reasons.

Swordsman of God

That's actually not true, at least from everything I can read on the subject. From what I can tell it's a myth that doctors/paramedics will let you die if you're a donor. Where'd you hear that from? I've never heard it before reading your post, so I got curious and looked it up.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:17 am
South Polar Eclipse

Thank you so much for providing Scripture ♥ !
I've been mulling it over for awhile and praying a lot about it.
My only motivation to donate is to potentially save lives and to glorify God in doing so. "There is no greater love than this: that a person would lay down his life for the sake of his friends." I have no problems with sacrificing my own life to help others in some way.
That verse alone..drives out all the doubts and fears away. Besides, I know God doesn't want us to be fearful about anything other than Him.
"T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed"  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:19 am
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Thank you for posting the question!
I never had that question in mind and always believe that it is following Jesus' example of "laying down our life for our friends".- if we donate our organs.

I believe your motivation matter.
I want to donate my organs to non believer; so that in the prolonged life they had, they may know Christ. I believe that it is acceptable.

However, if the motivation is something like I don't want to die completely; I want to deny God's law and make my organs still living in someone else's body. Then, I believe it is displeasing to God.

Ah, not a problem ^ ^ I'm glad I did actually. It opens up the topic of organ donation to be considered by many on here. I've read the stats of organ donors and they were surprisingly very, very low.

I've been mulling it over for awhile and praying a lot about it.
My only motivation to donate is to potentially save lives and to glorify God in doing so. And if they come to Christ afterwards, then that's a really huge bonus. "There is no greater love than this: that a person would lay down his life for the sake of his friends." I have no problems with sacrificing my own life to help others in some way.
And that verse alone helps diminish any fears and doubts I have about all of this.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:27 am
Swordsman of God
This is actually a good debate - The thought though is that it would be ok seeing the fact that you are no longer using it - Though the whole matter is if the ambulance crew finds out you are they let you die - (IN most cases) so more so do you want to live or not that is all up to you - I don't care if I die than it was my time and I get go home if I don't die than yeah what's next ???

Ah, is that so? :0 I would think that they wouldn't have the time to really think about asking such a touchy subject with the person's family. That they would do everything they could and if all else fails, then they'd find out later. But it's such an interesting process to think about. I wonder how they would find out. Do they just ask before hand while the person is in the ambulance or do they search their computers. And how long would it take to get the organs from the dying person? How long are the organs considered useful after the person dies?

It's so interesting ^ ^;
Anyway, those are all just questions I'm thinking a loud. You don't have to provide answers if you're unsure.
I personally wouldn't mind if they didn't resuscitate me.. I would place my life in God's hands. If God wants me to survive, then I'll be praying for a miracle [provided that the paramedics make no effort to resuscitate me]. If it is in His will that I go, then I can't do anything about that and will be at peace anyway since it's really a win-win situation in a way. Someone will get to have a second chance at life. And I get to meet Jesus : )  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:30 am
Jewelies

Thank you very much for your input! : ) ♥
It is much appreciated. I am also glad you said that it's a myth that paramedics do not just let the person die, after knowing they're a donor.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:44 am
Spirit Reborn
Swordsman of God

Ah, is that so? :0 I would think that they wouldn't have the time to really think about asking such a touchy subject with the person's family. That they would do everything they could and if all else fails, then they'd find out later. But it's such an interesting process to think about. I wonder how they would find out. Do they just ask before hand while the person is in the ambulance or do they search their computers. And how long would it take to get the organs from the dying person? How long are the organs considered useful after the person dies?

It's so interesting ^ ^;
Anyway, those are all just questions I'm thinking a loud. You don't have to provide answers if you're unsure.
I personally wouldn't mind if they didn't resuscitate me.. I would place my life in God's hands. If God wants me to survive, then I'll be praying for a miracle [provided that the paramedics make no effort to resuscitate me]. If it is in His will that I go, then I can't do anything about that and will be at peace anyway since it's really a win-win situation in a way. Someone will get to have a second chance at life. And I get to meet Jesus : )

This info is printed on the back of your id card License in my case -  

Swordsman of God

Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces