Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Knowledge : is it dangerous?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Swordsman of God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:09 pm
I was raised in a English family in North GA of the good old USA - In my family we spoke the queens english though when I walked outside I had to be able to speak Ghetto or Redneck-

In my family knowledge is the strength - debating about anything that hold any weight of any matters - this was and is a help but also a curse - Because of this I watched my Uncle a Baptist preacher with his great amount of study behind him turn into a drunk because he trusted in his knowledge far more than he did in God -

My Father leaving the roots of our Salvation Army history we begun to study in the Non Denominational teachings - after I returned from studying my Father is a truck drive and he allowed the knowledge to turn him to Mormonism-

Knowledge is something that you must be aware of - I have seen many great people become to trust worthy in their own knowledge instead of trusting in God no matter.

So then the question becomes How do you think God looks at mans knowledge?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:02 pm
Knowledge is not necessarily a bad thing - it all depends on how you use it, and the purpose as to why you are trying to learn it. If you allow the knowledge you gain to make your proud and make you start to drift away from God, then that's certainly not a good thing.

In the Bible, it does warn about not putting your trust in earthly knowledge, but instead in the wisdom of God. You can know all the earthly things in existence, but if you don't have Godly wisdom, you have nothing.

For example, I love to study things. History especially, there's just something about it that has always fascinated me. Other things, too though. If I come across something I don't know, I like to research it to find out what it is. I don't, however, use that information to lead me away from Christ, nor do I read it and think things like maybe God doesn't exist. If I read something that contradicts what God says, then I raise my brown and am typically like 'yeah right. That's not what God says. God says _____'.

However, if you read things, and they contradict what God says and you start to believe them, then that is where the problem starts. You allow the knowledge to seep into your heart and distort the truth of God's word. It is then that you start to trust in the knowledge of the world instead of in God, and you start to walk away from him.  

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:06 pm
Swordsman of God
I was raised in a English family in North GA of the good old USA - In my family we spoke the queens english though when I walked outside I had to be able to speak Ghetto or Redneck-

In my family knowledge is the strength - debating about anything that hold any weight of any matters - this was and is a help but also a curse - Because of this I watched my Uncle a Baptist preacher with his great amount of study behind him turn into a drunk because he trusted in his knowledge far more than he did in God -

My Father leaving the roots of our Salvation Army history we begun to study in the Non Denominational teachings - after I returned from studying my Father is a truck drive and he allowed the knowledge to turn him to Mormonism-

Knowledge is something that you must be aware of - I have seen many great people become to trust worthy in their own knowledge instead of trusting in God no matter.

1 Corinthians 8:1
Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that "We all possess knowledge." But knowledge puffs up while love builds up.

It depends. If people think their knowledge comes from some intellectual achievement then that is bad, and someone will most likely feel superior with a view like this. If you see that knowledge of God, comes from God, and not from yourself, then you are good, and you should pursue that knowledge, and you know everyone is equal in Christ. The first is like the last, etc.

Hosea 4:6
my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. "Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children.

Ephesians 1:17
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

The purpose of knowledge is to know Jesus better.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:41 am
Swordsman of God

Do Not Judge. ''You don't know what storm

Hey! Wow! A fellow north Georgian! Well met! cool

Well. this is a very good question, Swordsman.... in fact as I type this I realize that I want to stop and think about it a little bit....

--
---
----
-----
------
-------
--------

Hrrm...

Alright, so I'm thinking this will only have to be from my point of view. As I feel when it comes to knowledge, no man has all of it, but rather has a fraction of it and I feel that it's something of a puzzle where the pieces we can share. And being the sort of metaphoric, spiritual and artistic person that God made me to be....you might see a lot of that in this post. But it's what I have to offer.

I decided that a long time ago that God is the only One that has all the answers. I mean, He created the book on it. And sent it down to us. The Bible. I believe the knowledge was translated into perspective. We see through the eyes of those He chose to write it. Were they perfect? Infallible? No, but they are a representation of mankind.

Which is okay.

The fact is I believe that knowledge is a gift. It can be powerful depending on what you do with it (my Uncle use to always tell me ''Knowledge is Power'') but it's what you do with it I think that can get you there. And there is so much that we can learn from one another but we have to keep God's will first and in perspective. Sure, we might get lost in translation sometimes, even wonder if He is speaking to us on something.

I believe though with new knowledge we can keep things in perspective if we hang in there.

From my experience, I was raised as a Baptist. I went to church, celebrated holidays, ect. As I grew I learned that hey! There are other religions out there! As I have a brother who is a Jehovah's Witness I went through all these trials. Some were enlightening, some were hurtful. I learned more about the way other religions saw one another and for a time I was confused. It was like someone telling me that all I'd learned was a lie.

But I took what I saw and believed from the heart and felt that the one constant thing is ''God's love'' for me and the message to try my best and spread it. I may not be perfect in practice (another long story I don't want to digress) but I believe in what I know because I try to focus on what I feel and know to be real.

This world can throw a lot of curve balls of ''This is what science/politicians/religion/history says!'' and that's all well and good! I don't say that's not important. But what you apply yourself to and let that knowledge work through you in a positive and uplifting way is what's important.

That's really about all I know and what I can teach my students and children at this point. I believe for now, that's alright. We all have different things we can learn from each other and become wiser, smarter, and more enlightened if we keep our hearts open first.

I know there are those that are so smart that have so much knowledge that perhaps it shapes inner struggles or confusion. For those, I still feel there is a chance for them to learn. They may just not have found the right teacher yet that will get them back on track.

I've asked her to go through.'' ~God

Crinis

Beloved Conversationalist

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300

Swordsman of God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:09 am
I love all of ya'll's answers - (Redneck speak is fun to try to type -lol)

Jesus stated that he was going to send the Comforter we know this to be the Holy Spirit - He will lead us to all knowledge so in all I know nothing

I know nothing

Paul stated I know nothing except Christ Crucified

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEgDf-h4HH0&list=FLebgtzXqnWCk3J31_Gg6LPA

To know and to understand that I know nothing is the real acknowledgement that my life means nothing without Christ - You can actually study yourself to stupidity which is scary REALLY SCARY

The reason that I asked this is because I like input and I still have a lot to learn- I enjoy the fact that God is my lover and he leads us to knowledge - on the matter of judging my family I thank you that you pointed that out that means that you are seeing and looking - GOOD

Green -

Knowledge is puffed up - God is LOVE 1John 4: 7-8

So yeah you are all right (in the little that I can state ) though I ask and I pray that we inquire more of this matter with God and the guiding of his Scriptures more and more - Job 28 -

Thank you - I think that this should be more so a prayer request - So that we do not allow knowledge to be our meat at the table but we allow the relationship in God to be more than meat to us -  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:36 am
Knowledge is not evil on its own.
It is how you use it that matters.

Proverbs 1:7 ESV
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge

As long as we start digging knowledge with 'fear of the Lord', we are on track for a good knowledge.  

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

SolaceSerenitySerendipity

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 am
Ecclesiastes 1.18: For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 pm
Woot Fellow Southerner! biggrin

As long as the learning leads back to God it is good. If you're only being steered toward lies or getting self absorbed it's bad. The new Testament commends people for studying the Bible because if you are ignorant then you can also fall for things because you don't know anything to realize right from wrong. I figured that out in college dealing with atheists and agnostics. But you can't rely only on debates because it's the Holy spirit that convinces people. So if your family gets into Apologetic to defend the faith that is great but it's not great if they only want to be right for the sake of looking smart.

I definitely understand the motivation of this question. When people value intelligence it seems to absorb their whole personalities and we can get too smart for our own good.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Swordsman of God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:48 am
apiyo
Woot Fellow Southerner! biggrin

As long as the learning leads back to God it is good. If you're only being steered toward lies or getting self absorbed it's bad. The new Testament commends people for studying the Bible because if you are ignorant then you can also fall for things because you don't know anything to realize right from wrong. I figured that out in college dealing with atheists and agnostics. But you can't rely only on debates because it's the Holy spirit that convinces people. So if your family gets into Apologetic to defend the faith that is great but it's not great if they only want to be right for the sake of looking smart.

I definitely understand the motivation of this question. When people value intelligence it seems to absorb their whole personalities and we can get too smart for our own good.

I truly like your respones my dear southern sister lol  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:51 am
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Knowledge is not evil on its own.
It is how you use it that matters.

Proverbs 1:7 ESV
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge

As long as we start digging knowledge with 'fear of the Lord', we are on track for a good knowledge.

Job 28 the whole chapter teaches the abc's of widom  

Swordsman of God

Swordsman of God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:52 am
SolaceSerenitySerendipity
Ecclesiastes 1.18: For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

I have been looking for that verse for years - Thank you  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:46 am
Egads, more Georgians. On the one hand, I'm not alone, but on the other hand ... I'm surrounded!

God's knowledge vs. man's knowledge ... well, obviously, God's knowledge is superior, and He has a low opinion of human wisdom. Romans 1:22 comes to mind.

On the other hand ... He has always been willing to give us the knowledge we needed. Knowledge isn't bad ... well, laying aside the whole "knowing-from-firsthand-experience" of sin that's found, among other places, in the Garden of Eden.

Knowledge isn't bad; it's knowledge of what that we need to be concerned about. And above all, we need to not worship our own "knowledge", 'cause that so-called "knowledge" is severely flawed.  

Dragonbait

Steadfast Elder

Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces