Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Dating at Anime Conventions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Conreviews

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:35 am

What do you guys think of dating at cons? is it a good idea or what? whee  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 am
from my personal experience so far it has been not good, lets just say thats how I found out girl creepers exist, but I am sure there are people who have gotten good results out there and I am interested to hear some of those experiences that are out there if anyone would care to share them  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Conreviews

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:10 am
YESS cons are where i learned girl creepers exist too! haha gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 pm
Conreviews
YESS cons are where i learned girl creepers exist too! haha gonk
but I am sure there are also awesome people there, usually any dating thing that the con might be throwing I use as an opportunity to make friends, I personally have yet to meet that awesome person at a con but yeah its fun to just talk to people  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:32 pm
Dating at cons can be a risky thing to try. If you find someone interesting enough at a con to possibly date it can be exciting because you already have a couple of things in common. As in any dating situation be cautious and take it slow. You can make arrangements to meet outside of the con at a public place and get to know the person better. Some cons even have dating games to try and check out just like the TV show the dating game. I haven't seen one myself but I have heard that it can be really exciting to watch. One version of the dating game is in the form of an event. You have for instance one Female cosplayer on stage with a crowd watching, and you have 3 male cosplayers hid behind a partition. The Girl would then ask the guys questions and then pick one to have a date with.

As for myself being married I don't look for cosplayers and people to date at cons but I have made a few what I call "cosplay" friends over the years. Some of them have become really good friends outside of the con.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 pm
I've yet to see a single relationship that ended well when hooking up at a con. Very good friends and cosplay friends, yes. Most people that look for more than friendship seem to have a hard time differentiating the person from the venue.

That leads to some very... creepy situations.  

xinitia

Crew

Anonu

Nimble Giver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:58 am
my exbff married a man she met at Otakon many years ago. Some relationships turn out well but they just don't look good to anyone else lol

I'm not dating someone FROM a con but I'm taking a date ( my gf ) TO the next Otakon. I think this is her first time at a convention? There is much worry on what to wear but I'm sure she will find something that she loves. I believe this will be a fun and interesting experience for her. ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:40 pm
Dating at Cons:

With all of the changes with technology there are more and more ways to find someone to date at a convention. As I mentioned years ago people need to be careful as to who to ask out at a date at a con. Even if the character that they are Cosplaying is from the same series doesn't necessarily mean that it's safe. Also depending on how your Cosplay Outfit looks like it doesn't mean that it's consent for touching or anything else.

Now with Virtual Conventions coming online this could lead to asking people out that way. The same thing goes as online dating. Beware of who is on the other end of your Zoom conversation. Also it could be embarrassing if other people see you hooking up. On the other hand things could work out.

So what do you think of Virtual Convention Dating?  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 am
So I have personal experience with this.

My husband and I met outside of con, come to find out his mom is a vender and he goes to cons too about seven months before we hook up. Long story short his mom was okay with Sci-fi/Fantasy and not okay with anime.

Anyways...

Dating at cons can work, but it's important to have a real world relationship and not be upset when someone isn't interested in something you're interested in. On the flip side it is important to have some events in which both of you go and have fun.

I want to also point out that I'm freakishly amused by people watching and that entertainment for me. So even when I wasn't with my now husband that I was enjoying myself.

examples:
The first costume related event we both went to as a date was Ren Faire. He spent most of his time learning to blacksmith and I ended up spending most of my time getting to know his mom (it was the first time I met her).

We really didn't do anything the first day together other than eat and me watch him learning blacksmithing. The second day we spend some time together. We ended up doing a combat thing and it was fun because I beat him up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:00 am
I love the idea of finding a girlfriend at a con, but I also much prefer properly getting to know someone before going on a date. Also, it's so easy to just flake on someone like that, that I'm not sure if I'd want to go through that.
I also have a habit of assuming all the women I'm interested in are taken. I don't want to try to ask out a girl who has a boyfriend already, and I certainly don't want to be a creep.  

slapthefatcat2

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items