TwistedxJuggalo

Wheezing Gekko

9,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:14 am
Okay okay okay, I know.

So I'm not apart of your guild, But wait! Don't shoot me!

I've started up my own guild, and so far one person has joined. I saw this guild under the popular section, and I'd like some tips. How did you make this guild so popular???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:38 am
It's fine if you're not a member, it's an open guild for a reason, everyone's welcome. c;
You might want to try going out to the main forums and recruiting and inviting people.
Pretty much having a lot of active members is the key, and having relevant tags on your guild helps; there's not really any big secret as far as I know, it just takes time and work.
Having friendly, welcoming crew and regulars never hurts, either.
Good luck with your venture~

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:52 pm
I've gotten this question asked a lot, actually. Brandy hit the nail on the head. The key to making your guild a success is recruitment. What most guild owners do not realize is that recruitment should be done on an ongoing basis. Because what happens is, once your old members decide to leave, you have to get more. Otherwise, your guild is dead. Now, you may reach a certain point in which you have enough members (people who are consistently posting, also called "Regulars") to sustain the guild's network of activities--Posting, specific duties, etc...this isn't achieved overnight. It's often a long process to be able to accomplish this. We had to invite thousands of people (literally, thousands, look at our member total) to be able to do this, and it took a long time. Maintaining an active presence in the guild is also important, especially in its formative stages. This is because building a social network will A. Motivate people to come to the guild, obviously, and B. Motivate them to tell their friends about the guild, which means more members. Also, the more friendships among your guild members that are established, the more reason they'll have to be a part of the guild, because people want to talk to their friends.

Now, you WILL get a lot of dead members (meaning, people who never/rarely post), but I don't recommend just banning them. For one, it's a hassle having to threaten everyone to post just once, or ELSE. Two, this strategy only works for so long, and these same members will likely cease to exist because they A. Intended to go on a hiatus anyway or B. Are not committed to the guild in heart or mind and won't be coming back. This ties in to the beginning of my post, which is RECRUITMENT. I recommend inviting dozens of people a day for days, weeks, and months, all the while building the guild and making sure you get to KNOW the people who become members of it. Without the social aspect of it, without any friendships forming among guild members...it becomes a lot harder. There needs to be a starting point for members, too. For example, an introduction thread, a roleplay, and various topics/sub forums that give members the chance to engage in common discussions/activities/hobbies right off the bat. If your audience is bored, they're less likely to return.

Also, be mindful of where you invite from and the people you would like to attract. If you seek diversity, invite from many different forums. However, be aware that you want to include a persuasive invitation message that will entice people to join.

ANYWAY, sorry for the lengthy explanation, and this certainly doesn't cover the entire gamete, but I hope it's enough information to get you started if you're really inspired about the idea of making your guild grow. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 pm
Wow, that sure is a lot to think about captain. I have a rather small RP guild of my own, and well, I guess keeping it active seems to be the most challenging part by far to be honest. So far it's not a large group, but getting people involved and participating in general is pretty doggone tricky.  

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:38 pm
Princess Zelda21
Wow, that sure is a lot to think about captain. I have a rather small RP guild of my own, and well, I guess keeping it active seems to be the most challenging part by far to be honest. So far it's not a large group, but getting people involved and participating in general is pretty doggone tricky.

It is. Especially for an RP guild. But also make sure that you express the diversity in your guild--it's not JUST a roleplay guild, but we talk/do other things as well. (Eg. Spam sub forum). Have variety in there so you can attract all kinds of people. Unless, that is, you want it strictly RP only. (Haven't been in your guild, don't what it's like XD)

But yeah...recruit, recruit, recruit. And since it's roleplay, stay on top of people to post. Sometimes it just takes a while for a group to find their niche.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:26 pm
wow thanks so much for all the advice! It's given me a lot to think about.  

TwistedxJuggalo

Wheezing Gekko

9,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:14 pm
TwistedxJuggalo
wow thanks so much for all the advice! It's given me a lot to think about.

You're welcome. Good luck to you. And you can message me if you need help with something. smile  
Randomness is a Virtue!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games