Submit

allmostanyone

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:47 pm
My sister has a some good cosplays to her name, she could probably be considered a professional at it if she sold herself more. She doesn't do that mostly because it's still just a hobby to her and she is paranoid, and rightfully so imo, of the creepsters out there. She'll often decline photos, usually if they are male, if the person makes her feel uncomfortable. In recent she has been wanting to make even more elaborate and fancier cosplays that will surely attract more attention. She has one in the works right now but is getting cold feet about it. In our big family my opinion is almost always the oddball out, I'm of the opinion of 's**t or get off the pot', phrased nicer than that but that's the gist.
Cosplay =/= Consent, you are within your right to decline someone if you're getting bad vibes from them, and certainly within your right to object to them touching you. Some have said that you shouldn't cosplay if you can't handle the attention and I can agree with that but, I can accept the attention and that still doesn't make me your property if I'm in cosplay. Unless you ask and I agree, you do not have the right to hug me, take a photo of me, and certainly not to take one of my pieces because you want a photo with it.
She follows the cosplay community much closer than I ever will so she knows more about it's dark underbelly than me, and in her personal experience she was once followed around a con by a guy who kept making excuses to talk to her. He seem more of an extreme awkward social reject than a threat but it was still uncomfortable. There is a con we're attempting to go to in March, we went last year and a man asked for a photo to which she declined, he seemed personally offended and pissed. He told her why was she in cosplay if she didn't want her pictures taken. With that kind of attitude he deserved to be told no, I'm not here for you. She was dressed as Break from Pandora Hearts and she did pose with people who came off as naturally friendly and excited. There were two kids there also in PH cosplay (12 and 13 maybe, there with their moms) , they flipped out at the sight of my sister and with them she took several pictures. The moms were happy and told us most people were ignoring them because of how young they were. Those kids were so excited as was my sister, there is a big difference between posing with fans and posing for those who behave almost as if you're a wild cosplayer and they caught you and you're now their trophy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:36 pm
Cosplay could be good opportunity to meet people who loves it also and it can't be help if they want to take a picture with you because of excellent costume or favorite character smile  

Account_Removed03

Wealthy Businesswoman

10,175 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Millionaire 200
14. ✿ - - - Anime And Manga

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items