Faeriez

Smitten Kitten

12,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:43 pm
Hello!

For a cosplay I'm going to do I want to dye my hair purple. I have not dyed my hair any unnatural color before and I am looking for some tips and suggestions.

Or does anyone have any recommendations for stylists who could do this in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:23 pm
Dyeing is cheaper than buying a wig of the right color (and probably too long so that it can be styled to the right way)?
I don't live in that area, though, so I can't help there  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

mewliz

Fashionable Entrepreneur

12,050 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:13 pm
i found cheap wigs online like 20 buck cosplay wigs  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 pm
Depending on how dark your hair is, you might have to bleach it, which can be pretty unhealthy for your hair in the long run. It can leave it damaged and dry. :c You should just get a wig~  

Haiku

Bashful Kitten

Meninist

Magical Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:42 pm
I can see a lot of ladies are saying to get a wig, and you did say you wanted to color your hair.

Recently someone at my beauty college colored her hair purple, it turned out really well but she did had to bleach it at first due to the red color that was in it before. Now if your hair is dark you should prelighten it, (this could be bleach but there is some kind of prelighten stuff according to my teacher) and then color it purple. Now with that if and when you do color it purple it might not come out the color you want right way, which is fine, wait a week or two and re apply the color.

If I were you I would see if there are any beauty schools around you, they tend to be cheaper since it's students doing it. That being said realize that they are student, and they will be nervous students always are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:12 am
I have a youtube video for you! My friend dyes her hair a lot and it's always healthy and the colors look great! Here's her tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAqG7RYzjA4&list=UUpfKNLOlx6idewHd-kRi-Eg&feature=c4-overview

She name drops brands she uses so if you wanted to do it yourself, you could go hunt for those brands :3  

Your WatchQueen

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:21 pm
                yes hi hello i live in the twin cities area i'm going to word vomit now

so basically, i'd recommend going to a place that you trust, and is reliable with things like hair dying, i'd also see if they had hair dye that fades with washes after a bit, if you don't want it long-term. you probably have already thought about it, but bleach is also a matter depending on how light you want it to be- your natural shade is going to depend on that. i'd also talk to the person who's going to be cutting your hair about what you want extensively, as hair dye can last a while.

as for places, there's a place my brother goes to called floyd's barbershop, and as far as i know, they tend to do a pretty good job with hair? it's in uptown, on lake street. i don't know how pricey it is, but it'd probably about average.

i got my hair dyed at this place called spalon montage once, and my mom gets her hair dyed there. the people there are pretty good. it's in edina, so that kinda tells you about the price. other than that, i've had my hair dyed at a chain place- it looked pretty good, but it washed out quickly. so if you're fine with that, maybe go to a great clips, so on and so forth. great clips wouldbe the cheapest of the options i mentioned, as it's a chain hair salon.

so.. yeah. hope this helps!!
                x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:33 pm
Faeriez
Hello!

For a cosplay I'm going to do I want to dye my hair purple. I have not dyed my hair any unnatural color before and I am looking for some tips and suggestions.

Or does anyone have any recommendations for stylists who could do this in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area?

It depends how dark is your natural hair. My hair is very dark brown almost black so I tried blonde streaks however it turns out copper. But you could dye your hair without bleaching. You could used manic panic mix with shocking blue and hot hot pink together dark purple.  

Star-geeker

Runway Icon

18,250 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Fearsome 100

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100