Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Heterophobia within the LGBT community ? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:39 pm
Obviously, these is an awareness of homophobia, but at university this year, I have begun to notice a sense of heterophobia within the LGBT community. And, if not heterophobia, than a hateful attitude towards heterosexuality. Of course, this isn't from the community as a whole, but a section. Thoughts? Experiences?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:48 pm
I notice that this happens a lot on Tumblr, because people on Tumblr think that it's best to fight hate with hate.  

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

CuriousColt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:45 pm
Symptom_of_Society
Obviously, these is an awareness of homophobia, but at university this year, I have begun to notice a sense of heterophobia within the LGBT community. And, if not heterophobia, than a hateful attitude towards heterosexuality. Of course, this isn't from the community as a whole, but a section. Thoughts? Experiences?

I have noticed some of this as acceptance of the LGBT community has increased, it honestly pisses me off because it reminds me of politics in the United States. It's the "your either with us or without us attitude" at some of the support rallies I have been to in the Dallas area I have seen a disgusting increase in this fight hate with hate attitude. Another recent quarrel that bothered me was the St.Patrick's day parade in New York City debate, I know some people have conflicting views on this one but it does not make any sense to me to make a huge "discrimination" deal out of it why would a LGBT rights group need to proclaim there homosexuality in a parade about Christianity coming to Ireland and Irish heritage just in general. No one said LGBT people could not march, they just said they could not proclaim LGBT pride. Just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:55 am
yep, first hand, being a trans female, as soon as I started dating a guy, and we technically became a hetro couple, stopped getting calls and invites from my LGBT friends. people stopped talking to us randomly at the gay club, stuff like that.

I think hetro men get it the worst though, from all groups, especially feminists.
really, barely any of them are actually bad people.  

AmeliaParadox

Perfect Sex Symbol

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Full closet 200

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:30 pm
TigerLilyChick
I notice that this happens a lot on Tumblr, because people on Tumblr think that it's best to fight hate with hate.

YES. It's obnoxious. As is cisphobia. And misandry. And racism against Caucasians.
Ugh.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:56 pm
AmeliaParadox
yep, first hand, being a trans female, as soon as I started dating a guy, and we technically became a hetro couple, stopped getting calls and invites from my LGBT friends. people stopped talking to us randomly at the gay club, stuff like that.

I think hetro men get it the worst though, from all groups, especially feminists.

Same happens when bi or pan members of the LBGT community "dare" to date people of the opposite sex - apparently that makes them "traitors" or something...  

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:56 pm
Sunshine Peach-Heart
TigerLilyChick

YES. It's obnoxious. As is cisphobia. And misandry. And racism against Caucasians.
Ugh.

I mean, it's different when you hate someone who IS homophobic, biphobic, transphobic, racist, or any of the other -ists, but don't hate everyone who is straight, cisgender, Caucasian, male, or whatever.

All this hate is why I could never get a Tumblr.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:02 pm
I AM R U
AmeliaParadox

Same happens when bi or pan members of the LBGT community "dare" to date people of the opposite sex - apparently that makes them "traitors" or something...

As a bi male...I think your point is why my fiancé, who is a straight female proclaimed herself bi...we get awkward stares when we go to Church street in Toronto...mostly by guys because they don't want to accept us on the basis that we appear to be a het couple.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:21 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
I AM R U
AmeliaParadox

As a bi male...I think your point is why my fiancé, who is a straight female proclaimed herself bi...we get awkward stares when we go to Church street in Toronto...mostly by guys because they don't want to accept us on the basis that we appear to be a het couple.

Yeah - I'm pan and my partner is gay, but I've witnessed bi/pan friends be ostracized for dating the opposite sex...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 pm
I AM R U
humble_gypsy_traveller
I AM R U
AmeliaParadox

Yeah - I'm pan and my partner is gay, but I've witnessed bi/pan friends be ostracized for dating the opposite sex...

Yeah, well I don't know what it's like in the states...apparently pretty heavy criticism...and yeah, the LGBT community has a lot of scars and wounds to lick from harassment from the het public...but come on...all this reverse criticism to our own? I'm not saying lets link arms and sing kumbaya...but the best offense is awareness and positive reinforcement...my view anyways...not the whole 'if you're with us, then you're against us'. I thought close to 70yrs of oppression...in any case should have taught the world that fighting hate with hate never solves anything. I mean (and not that he needs to know) but my fiancé's ex husband doesn't even know I'm bi because he's a homophobe and would go out of his skull if he did...and that's bad enough. What's worse is that some of my gay acquaintances rib me because I'm bi and therefore troubled because I do not pick a side.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
I AM R U
humble_gypsy_traveller
I AM R U
AmeliaParadox

Yeah, well I don't know what it's like in the states...apparently pretty heavy criticism...and yeah, the LGBT community has a lot of scars and wounds to lick from harassment from the het public...but come on...all this reverse criticism to our own? I'm not saying lets link arms and sing kumbaya...but the best offense is awareness and positive reinforcement...my view anyways...not the whole 'if you're with us, then you're against us'. I thought close to 70yrs of oppression...in any case should have taught the world that fighting hate with hate never solves anything. I mean (and not that he needs to know) but my fiancé's ex husband doesn't even know I'm bi because he's a homophobe and would go out of his skull if he did...and that's bad enough. What's worse is that some of my gay acquaintances rib me because I'm bi and therefore troubled because I do not pick a side.

I'm from Australia sweatdrop

And yeah, I totally agree :/ My partner sometimes struggles with the fact that I'm pan, so I usually say I'm gay for his sake...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:27 pm
I AM R U
humble_gypsy_traveller
I AM R U
humble_gypsy_traveller
I AM R U
AmeliaParadox

And yeah, I totally agree :/ My partner sometimes struggles with the fact that I'm pan, so I usually say I'm gay for his sake...

Ah, so you're basically in the same boat as Amelia. Is there a progressive community there? Like generally is there support felt in the community? And as I understand it from Amelia's stand point...why is the LGBT community there so hard up on accepting those that aren't or see themselves as not gay, but somewhat the alternative? bi, ciss, trans and the like.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:34 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
I AM R U
humble_gypsy_traveller
I AM R U
humble_gypsy_traveller

Ah, so you're basically in the same boat as Amelia. Is there a progressive community there? Like generally is there support felt in the community? And as I understand it from Amelia's stand point...why is the LGBT community there so hard up on accepting those that aren't or see themselves as not gay, but somewhat the alternative? bi, ciss, trans and the like.

I'm not sure... My partner and I tend to avoid the "community" these days...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 pm
I left another guild here on Gaia after an argument with the crew in which I was told that cis-het people couldn't possibly be as open-minded as queers, because they haven't gone through what "we" have gone through.

neutral  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:56 pm
And this. Sigh.....Ive heard this a number of times and to me it has a hateful ring.

Breeder: slang term used by people of homosexual persuasion to refer to heterosexual couples, who have a significantly higher risk of contributing to the population increase than the homosexuals do. (urban dictionary).  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff