A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
New Gaia does anyone else hate it. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I the only one who hates how commercial Gaia has become?
  Way too many new items
  Too many bundles involving winning gold
  Marketplace flooded with over priced items
  Miss the good old days
View Results

b1wskynyrd

Ruthless Bear

10,975 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:58 pm
sad  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:22 am
I think pretty much everyone hates the new Gaia. The cash grabs were bearable a few years ago, but these days it's just flat out ridiculous. You get probably 10 announcements a day, most if not all of them telling you to buy something in the cash shop. Even more ludicrous beyond that is the prices of these things.

At some point, someone there at Gaia realized they could get away with charging insane amounts of money for pixel items and fake money because people are willing to pay it and then greed took over. I'm wondering just how long it's going to take before they find out that their users aren't made of money. People are leaving, and some of the most avid cash shoppers are no longer buying because there's just too many new items to keep up with and they don't have the means and willingness to keep shelling out hundreds of dollars every week for recolors and limited time items.

In the short term, they might believe they're making more money, but in the long term, it's a bad business move. You can't expect to keep and grow your customer base if you're abusing them.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Chasing Chaos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:02 am
I agree with every option of your poll. It is so discouraging to even go to the marketplace. I remember when 100,000 gold was a big deal. But not anymore  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:11 am
Oh Oh...
Think of this...
Our first gen items are now just everyday items but I don't think people really caught on yet.
That stupid plundering things pretty much let's you bid on the rarest items in Gaia, hence it being an open shop for halos and devil tails, nhbs, ext.
Who didn't see this coming?  

Billionaire Bear

Tiny Millionaire

9,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
I actually don't see a problem with recirculating old items such as halos and devil tails. It's kind of an elitist attitude to believe that because newer Gaians weren't around when those items came out, they shouldn't be allowed to have them or be given more opportunity to acquire them than the market naturally allows. Some of them it was hard to even find one on sale because people who had them were sitting on them unwilling to sell or left Gaia.

Those same items were cheap and common when they came out. All it took was a $2.50 donation. The newer resells of them are closer to $15, which I think is a lot for a single fake item {you could buy a genuine article of clothing in RL for that much}, especially those with just a single pose, thus very limited use. And while they've become less rare, they're still rare because not everyone is willing to spend that much on a mostly useless item and they're not as readily available as you're making it sound. One being up for auction every so many months doesn't make it an open shop for old items. And the times they've been made available in the cash shop, they were only up in 1 hour windows, as opposed to formerly being available for an entire month.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 pm
The items aren't the problem its the fact that there all cash items ...  

JadeRabbitEmperor

High-functioning Garbage

19,525 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Hiacinth

Feral Fatcat

18,875 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:49 pm
Ugh, i hate having all these dumb notifications to buy crap! there's no way i'm gonna pay real money for a pixelated item. ESPECIALLY if said item costs 899 gcash. And people on the marketplace wanna try to sell stuff for billions of gold. not happening. literally all the fun i get out of this place is from the guilds, and a lot of them are closing down due to inactivity  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:30 am
I come back onto Gaia for longer than 5 minutes for the first time in a while. What do I find?

20 million is the new 200,000.

Anything with any real aesthetic use or function costs at least a million.

And almost all emphasis is on the cash shop.

Yeah, I don't feel bad about becoming so passive a user now.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

Violette Cielle

Tipsy Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:24 pm
Yeah, i worked really hard to save up gold and now it's worth next to nothing. I don't even bother to check the marketplace or buy anything there anymore. I try to get items through contests and giveaways and sometimes i get anon gifts but as for questing or getting stuff on my own, the new Gaia has made such things pretty hopeless.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 pm
Same here. I worked so hard to build up my gold reserves, and all the while, the cost of everything skyrocketed. It's ridiculous how expensive everything is, especially if it came from a cash shop. And Loyal's? Aside from the T-Shirts, everything there is well over a million. What's the point of being loyal enough to get into that store, when you can't buy anything?  

Genetsu

Magnetic Vampire

15,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:42 pm
I think there being expensive gold shop stores is a good money sink to help reduce the inflation, but that the same time, the inflation keeps being fed by money-for-gold cash shop items. Can't cure the disease by continuing to feed it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:47 pm
I took a long hiatus due to real life issues,I come back,and wow,I'm poor! Used to be having over 500,000 G wasnt a bad bank,now,sheesh...its paltry.I cant afford anything! And all the new stuff,some would be nice,but they have overkilled it imo,Not only that,but looking at the cash evolving items,you need almost 2-3 of each to build around. Its sad to see how greedy the site has become.I understand needing to make money to run it,but...this isnt the way.I hope someone revamps how Gaia is run,I'd hate to see it go under  

ladywolf

Lady of Hearts

20,200 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Hand in the Cookie Jar 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Carter_Peggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:56 am
I used to write kick a** RPGs that would last thousands of pages, but now I don't even bother because none of the new players bother with playing and many other players have gone dark.
This is the first time I've logged into the site in over 2 months. I think this site saw that neopets was making money and decided to copy them, which is stupid because when neopets went commercial a large number of their users went passive or left the site all together.

I'm seriously tempted to give away my stuff and close my account for good.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 am
I have a wryly amusing bit of extreme irony going on now. At this moment, I'm the richest I have ever been on here. Now when I'm inactive and uninterested in this site. Because I sold an Oct '05 letter that was kicking about in my inventory. So now I have 163 million.

I look at that amount and remember my struggles and heartbreak while questing for an angelic pendant back in the day. Which were going for 500k in the marketplace at the time, and by the time I'd managed, through endless polling etc, to gather that amount, had risen to 1.6 mil, and me giving up because I knew I'd never manage to get enough.

I seem to remember halos were valued at 100 mil around then, and everyone looking at that price knowing full well that they'd never EVER be able to get that amount of gold together.

I suppose the biggest irony here, is whoever got my Coco letter for 166 million got the biggest bargain on the PLANET...just how messed up is that!

Quote:
Thank You Letter For Oct 2005 (Any)

Show Graphs

Available From: Collectible

Store Price: Collectible Item, not available in stores.

Lowest Buy Now Price: 1,750,000,000 gold

Average Buy Price: 1,389,870,000 gold 0%

rolleyes  

Poppetta

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:20 am
It's always been the case that older items would sell for way more years later... or at least ones that people still care about. In your own example of struggling for that angelic pendant, it was so expensive because new ones weren't being introduced into the system after '04. '05 was 9 years ago. Even if you took runaway inflation out of the picture, it still would have been incredibly expensive and you would still be the richest you'd ever been for having just sat on that letter for 9 years.

Personally, I've been coping with the runaway inflation by combing through my inventory and selling off things I no longer want or use as I've found their price has inflated along with everything else, making it to where I can actually afford things again. There's still things way beyond my reach, but when you start selling stuff, suddenly an item with a 5 million price tag doesn't seem that impossible anymore.

Though still ridiculous that the numbers have gotten so high, when you adjust your perspective, you can learn to work with it. Game items have inflated... so if you play games on Gaia, you can gradually start earning toward new items again. For instance,
Pyrite Biters from Durem fishing {think I might have even gotten some in daily chance before} are what I mentally refer to as "the million dollar fish". 1 mill on the market a pop. No idea whatsoever what people want them for, but they sell, and daily chance provides you with plenty of free bait. If Durem's giving you carpel tunnel or is just too frustrating for you to deal with {it certainly can be}, stick with Bass'ken. The guppies and goldfish are super easy to catch and are used for alchemy, and thus are selling for a decent amount {between 50k - 80k a pop.}

If you play zOMG,
Pink Flamingo Feathers among other items are used in alchemy and thus sell for a decent amount. I farmed feathers for my own alchemy recently and got about 40 of them. If I was selling them, that would be about 4 mil or more, depending on how I wanted to price it. Generally with game items, people will pay a premium for getting it in bulk because it's more convenient than having to buy a bunch individually or farm it themselves.

Items from Prize and Joy are also selling for a lot. Daily Chance gives out a lot of free tokens. Play some cards or slots {I prefer cards}. If you don't want to take a chance on purchasing the wrong Prize and Joy item and finding it won't sell, you can just sell the tickets. In bulk, they'd easily sell for 3k a pop. I'm sitting on 10k tickets I'm saving up for alchemy, which could very well be a quick 30 mil if I wanted to sell.

Inks are also going for a lot these days if you've got a bunch you've been sitting on from daily chance.

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff