Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Sermons
Derek Prince: Laying Down The Foundation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:47 pm
Foundational teachings  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:26 pm
So, from the sound of it, these are at least 4 or 5 sermons edited in one? I'm listening to the second one right now, at the part where he mentions the tripartite nature of man: I never noticed the soulish man vs. spiritual man thing going on in the Greek of 1 Corinthians 2:14. idea

As far as error, I don't think I've heard anything majorly wrong—minus misspeaking a couple times (saying that Eve said not to touch the tree of life; it's actually the tree of knowledge of good and evil) and he corrected himself on the second occasion, but at the moment I don't recall what about exactly. I'm going to have to refer to this throughout the week to finish it though. razz

edit:

@2:30:23 - "And let me say something which may shock you: but I cannot find, from the book of Acts onward, any person who claims salvation from Jesus without being baptized in water".

Around this point in the video, he seems to be insinuating that people who accept Salvation from Jesus must go through water baptism, first, to be saved. If that's the case, he shouldn't limit his scope to only "the book of Acts and onwards", because the thief on the cross (Luke 23:40-43) who accepted Jesus as Messiah/Christ, and thus was saved, wasn't baptized in water...ever. That's manipulative.

Second, a few minutes before that point, he insinuates that people need to be baptized in water first in order to receive the Holy Spirit: he's totally ignoring the Gentiles in Acts 10, who were filled with the Holy Spirit before they ever received a water baptism:

Quote:
Acts 10:44-48 (NIV)

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues[a] and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Footnotes:

a. Acts 10:46 Or other languages

Ahhh, I need to go to sleep. I'll make a separate post if I notice more things in the following days.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:04 pm
A few other things I've noted so far:

• His definition of "legalism" as merely keeping a set of rules for justification: there's more to legalism than that.

First, let's all keep in mind that "legalism" is not a term that appears in the bible, so there's no concrete foundation for what it means; that said, if the term will be applied (to a Pharisee for instance, who I hear it most often applied to), we need to be cognizant of their crime in scripture:

(1) placing more importance on the traditions and doctrines of men,
        (2) imposing it upon people as if it were God's word,
        (3) going with those teachings and traditions despite it contradicting something God said in scripture
        (4) thinking people are more holy for keeping those man-made, self-imposed rules/traditions/doctrines.

Basically, what's going on in Matthew 15:1-20 / Mark 7:1-23 over the hand-washing tradition (which is not a law spoken by God), but the Pharisees were calling Jesus' disciples "defiled" for not following that tradition.

Thus, making the burden heavier than it needs to be (what Jesus accused the Pharisees of doing in Matthew 23). Interesting to note: Jesus is insinuating that they make the burden heavier when they don't put the law of Moses into practice.

Quote:
      Matthew 23:1-4 (NIV)

1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

Contrary to popular belief, God's law / Moses' law is not the burden, but man's traditions and interpretations, adding to or taking away from what God said.

There are references which suggest that God's law is freedom and freedom from sin:

Quote:
      James 1:25 (NIV)

25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Quote:
      James 2:12 (NIV)

12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,

Quote:
      Romans 7:25 (NIV)

25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[a] a slave to the law of sin.

Footnotes:

a. Romans 7:25 Or in the flesh

If Jesus did not sin (ergo, did not transgress the law, according to the definition of "sin" in 1 John 3:4), that means he didn't add or take away from a single word His Father spoke to Moses' (or that would be a violation of Deuteronomy 4:2).

...which leads me to my next point:

• His interpretation of Romans 6:14...

Quote:
      Romans 6:14 (NIV)

14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Most are unaware that Paul speaks of at least two different laws at work (and I already cited a verse that reveals this): the law of sin in the flesh (which leads to death) VS. God's law. The latter Paul admits he is a slave to. The former he has been liberated from. Again:

Quote:
      Romans 7:25 (NIV)

25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[a] a slave to the law of sin.

Footnotes:

a. Romans 7:25 Or in the flesh.

If we received a new nature, thanks to being under the new covenant, and thus have God's law written on our heart and have received the Holy Spirit, then of course we're not under the power of sin / have sin as our master anymore; we're no longer under the flesh's law of sin. That's the law Paul is referring to in Romans 6:14 that's we're no longer under, made all the more clear by saying sin isn't our master anymore. I'll quote the preceding verses for even more context:

Quote:
      Romans 6:11-14 (NIV)

11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

The verses in prophecy or verses talking about a prophecy mentioning the new covenant say God's law would be on our hearts under that new covenant: Jer 31:31-33; Eze 36:25-27; Heb 8:10

• On a related note, the dichotomy between God's law and grace. There isn't one. Derek Prince didn't even define grace in concrete terms; grace is simply this: you didn't deserve/merit an act of kindness from God, but he gave it to you anyway.

Which leads me to say this...

The very act of God handing over any instructions to man is an act of grace: humanity didn't "deserve" that they be given any guidance to keep them from self-destructive behavior; ergo, God was doing us a favor (demonstrating grace) by giving us instructions for our "own good" (Deuteronomy 10:12-13), so everything we did would be "prosperous and successful" (Joshua 1:8), and help us avoid people falling into poverty (Deuteronomy 15:4-5). All three verses are about obeying the Law/putting it into practice. God helped us avoid detrimental behavior, not only to ourselves, but even the land (thus the sabbaths for the land), but if the land hurts, then so do we, so technically it's all goes back to being for our own good.

The "grace" under the New Covenant, aside from the atonement sacrifice Jesus provided, is the Holy Spirit. Jesus' sacrifice wipes our transgressions and the Holy Spirit helps us walk in his righteousness.

Quote:
        Ezekiel 36:25-27 (NIV)

25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

Quote:
        Philippians 2:13 (NIV)

for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Quote:
        John 16:13 (NIV)

13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Quote:
        Psalm 119:43 (NIV)

Never take your word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws.

Quote:
        Daniel 9:13 (NIV)

Just as it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come on us, yet we have not sought the favor of the Lord our God by turning from our sins and giving attention to your truth.

People could use the following to say truth is different...

Quote:
        John 1:17 (NIV)

For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

... if they don't take a second to remember that Jesus only spoke his Father's words, not adding to or taking away from what was already established as truth by the Father. He only spoke against interpretations of man and traditions that contradicted the law and the prophets.

It wasn't until recently, in the mid-to-late 2000's I would say, that people started coming out of this error (the way they define legalism, law and grace). Most of these old videos probably will have this error in it taught as truth, but it's not. Jesus taught his disciples to keep the Law of Moses, and not be led astray by the doctrine of the Pharisees (traditions and man's interpretation over God's word). They made disciples based on Jesus' teachings (and he taught the disciples to practice Moses). Paul taught no different: it's just that people don't see the different laws he's referring to and that he, Paul himself, continued living according to the law as a saved man (Acts 21:19-24) even keeping the feast days of Leviticus 23 as long as the temple was up (things such as Pentecosts/Feast of Weeks and Passover).

That said, of what I've heard so far: I would agree that a disciple keeps the Word of God. A person claiming to love God must love his Word equally as much. There's no such thing as loving God, and hating his Word / thinking it's not important. And we shouldn't deviate from it even in the slightest degree.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:25 pm
Thank you real eyes for the in depth analysis smile  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Sermons

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash