Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Inspiration
Inspirational verses, stories, etc.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:08 am
I've been feeling REALLY down lately (especially at work, i am not cut out to be a cashier), more depressed than usual and could use some encouraging bible verses, stories, etc. I read the daily bread but it just isnt enough, I'm just not happy. I read inspirational quotes but very rarely will i see one from the Bible.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:15 am
First off, be weary of the inspirational quotes. Most of them are worldly wisdom that really don't apply. There are plenty of inspirational quotes that I use when I get weary or sad. I even have some that are reminders when I'm angry. I'll type a couple out for you.

Matt 11: 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

-This promise comes from Jesus. It reminds me that when I'm weary, all I need to do is go to God. Prayer is the biggest way to relieve your stresses. God wants us to come and talk to Him about everything. About our sins and what we're bound by. He wants to know about our desires why we desire them. It reminds me that if I'm feeling weary, I'm probably just not focusing where I really should be: on God.

Heb 13:5 "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,

“Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you.”"

- This promise reminds me that I really shouldn't want for anything but God. Whom shall I fear? What could I possibly want when the God who commands a multitude of angels has promised never to leave me? The Creator of the Cosmos has concerned Himself with me. I don't know why, and I know I don't deserve it, but He has. This verse helped me greatly with my anxiety. I used to have attacks, but I'm not afraid of anything now.

Colossians 3:13 "bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive."

- This reminds me that arguments and grudges that I hold, I need to let go of. If I let them fester, they're not only harder to forgive, but more damaging to me. After all I've done against the Lord, after all the sins I've committed, he's still forgiven me. What somebody else did to me is nothing in comparison to what I've done, and even though I'm human, I need to be able to forgive.

Nahum 1:7 "The Lord is good,
a refuge in times of trouble.
He cares for those who trust in him,"

- This reminds me that if I ever feel overwhelmed, God has not only promised to never leave me, but also to be my refuge. God is there to use as your strength. He is your redeemer and he cares for you. Put your trust in Him. He is the only one who won't let you down. You may not always see ahead of the bad things, but trust in the Lord. Even when bad things happen, it's because the Lord has something better down the road.

So, there are a few verses. I hope they help you. I know they help me when I'm sad. Just pray. It may seem awkward at first, but the more you do it, the more your relationship grows and the more comforted you are by His presence from day to day.  

ThatOneMusicalGirl

Blessed Informer

8,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:05 am
Quote:
Mark 14:36 (NIV)

36 “Abba,[a] Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

Footnotes:

a. Mark 14:36 Aramaic for father

Jesus prayed this before his arrest/betrayal. It reminds me of two main things:

(1) that when I pray, I should be aware that all things are possible for God; our Heavenly Father is capable of anything. He created the world out of nothing; he can intervene in my affairs. So, I'll tell him what I want. If it's according to his will, he will give it to me.

(2) I should ask that the turn of events unwind according to what he desires ultimately—whether it agrees with my own wishes or not. God will always be looking to bless you in the long run—even if, from your perspective, the way he plans a specific circumstance will bring you some pain/discomfort in the immediate compared to the long run (so for an hour, a week, a few months or years, compared to the long term blessing). In the end you will be blessed, and not only you, but out of this momentary discomfort you could bless a multitude of others in the process if you adhere to his will.

Quote:
Colossians 3:22-25 (NIV)

22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.

This reminds me to shift focus onto God, not the people I'm serving. Their gratefulness (or lack thereof), whatever their treatment or attitude towards me is, will not affect how I respond back and how willing I am to serve them. I'm doing this to please God and demonstrate that I'm a trustworthy servant/child. I can be trusted with a task, and trusted to complete it, regardless of emotions (my own or those of others). If someone wrongs me, justice/vengeance is up to God.

---

A general piece of advice: I would recommend you read a chapter a day until you finish a book. You'll come across many encouraging verses that way; write them down in a journal and meditate over them. Don't wait until you feel stressful. They should already be in your head. When a relevant situation occurs, the Holy Spirit will bring the verse to remembrance. So prepare beforehand: read chapters directly from the bible while things are calm. You will have to set apart some time, daily, for this; but again, think of the long term benefits.

Also, pray about any anxieties you may feel about the day, about the future, ahead of time not just in the moment of the stressful situation. If you don't stay alert by praying, you could give in to the weakness of the flesh (complaining, anger, impatience, etc...) when the moment that tests your patience/gratefulness/calm/loyalty to God actually comes.

Quote:
Mark 14:38 (NIV)

38 Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Quote:
Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Inspiration

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games