Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Entertainment: Books, Movies & Music
Recent Religious Movies..... Thoughts? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:37 am
God's Not Dead, Heaven is Real, and Noah. Have you guys seen any of these, what are your thoughts? I saw God's not Dead with my family and my parents saw Noah and said it was absolutely horrible.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:45 am
I went to see God's not dead, and I loved it. There were a couple of theologically iffy things (but they were really minor, things that would only differ between the belief statements of two different but similar churches). I would say this movie is definitely safe and God glorifying to see. I hope you get the chance to watch it.

I haven't seen Heaven is for Real, and I haven't heard much about it. However, I have seen a couple articles warning people to not get their belief in God from a movie, and expressing sorrow over the fact that many people will turn to a movie like this instead of to God to get answers or satisfaction. I'm sure the movie isn't bad to watch, but you should probably make sure that you firmly believe in God and Heaven before you see the movie, rather than afterward.

I haven't seen Noah, but from what I've heard, I'm never going to. I've heard that aside from the Ark and the names of Noah and his family, there's really nothing to do with the Bible story at all.

User Image  

ThatOneMusicalGirl

Blessed Informer

8,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:21 pm
ThatOneMusicalGirl
I went to see God's not dead, and I loved it. There were a couple of theologically iffy things (but they were really minor, things that would only differ between the belief statements of two different but similar churches). I would say this movie is definitely safe and God glorifying to see. I hope you get the chance to watch it.

I haven't seen Heaven is for Real, and I haven't heard much about it. However, I have seen a couple articles warning people to not get their belief in God from a movie, and expressing sorrow over the fact that many people will turn to a movie like this instead of to God to get answers or satisfaction. I'm sure the movie isn't bad to watch, but you should probably make sure that you firmly believe in God and Heaven before you see the movie, rather than afterward.

I haven't seen Noah, but from what I've heard, I'm never going to. I've heard that aside from the Ark and the names of Noah and his family, there's really nothing to do with the Bible story at all.

User Image

I'm not sure how i feel about God's not dead yet  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:19 pm
Saw the new Son of God movie. It wasn't amazing and it wasn't terrible. Somewhere in the middle. They go through the Gospel of John, through his perspective. I like John's account. He was the closest Apostle to Christ. A little over dramatic at some points in the movie that could have toned down to make it more believable but that is Hollywood. X) Other than that they did a fairly decent job capturing the Deity of Christ. From my standpoint.  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Ophelias Bathwater

High-functioning Werewolf

13,725 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 pm
I've heard some good and bad (and weird) about all of them, but haven't seen any yet. I will probably end up seeing God's Not Dead and Noah eventually because my partner is a big fan of Kevin Sorbo and Russel Crowe.

Most of the Christian bloggers I read said that Noah is the least terrible of all of them, but none of them is particularly good. What I take away from all of it is that it sure seems awfully difficult to make a movie based on something Biblical without alienating or angering a whoooole lot of people. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:06 pm
i saw Noah not long ago with my husband,
i thought it had some good points and some bad points.

it certainly give a good representation of one of the big questions " how could Noah get all the animals on the Ark?"
it gave good incite to how this could have happened.

i didn't really like the ending, i wont spoil it for people who havent seen it and wish to do so.
But it put Noah in a bad light.

╔═.♥.══════════╗

Jesus is my saviour

╚══════════.♥.═╝

Then you will know the TRUTH,
and the TRUTH will set you free

PINK DINOSRAWR

Dangerous Noob

8,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Tycoon 200

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:52 pm
Ophelias Bathwater
I've heard some good and bad (and weird) about all of them, but haven't seen any yet. I will probably end up seeing God's Not Dead and Noah eventually because my partner is a big fan of Kevin Sorbo and Russel Crowe.

Most of the Christian bloggers I read said that Noah is the least terrible of all of them, but none of them is particularly good. What I take away from all of it is that it sure seems awfully difficult to make a movie based on something Biblical without alienating or angering a whoooole lot of people. sweatdrop

Noah's the least terrible? Or most terrible? I read it was the worst. Reading some of the spoilers they pretty much turned the entire story on it's head making good appear evil and evil appear good. o.O; Taking artistic liberty doesn't mean you leave the entire story and all...  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:04 pm
Tsur
Ophelias Bathwater

Noah's the least terrible? Or most terrible? I read it was the worst. Reading some of the spoilers they pretty much turned the entire story on it's head making good appear evil and evil appear good. o.O; Taking artistic liberty doesn't mean you leave the entire story and all...

I heard something like that too. My parents saw Noah and basically the director spit on the biblical tail disregarding its story and creating his own theatrical spin on it. The director himself isnt exactly a great person either  

ChibiHigh

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 pm
Watched the Bible series with my boyfriend recently. We both liked it pretty well. The acting was well done.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:59 pm

I've not seen any of them.

Haven't heard much about "Heaven is Real". No desire to see it.

However, I've heard a lot about "Noah" and "God's Not Dead". The "Noah" movie is not according to the Biblical account, though I have heard that it is from Old Testament apocryphal books, specifically the book of Enoch. I don't know if this is true or not. I haven't read Enoch. I will not be seeing the movie, however. No desire to.

As for "God's Not Dead", I've heard some very good things about it. Most of the brethren I know promote it. But I have a problem with the movie because of certain critiques made by others, including a Christian movie reviewer. Apparently everyone is stereotyped, the acting is wooden, and the apologetics are terrible. If you're going to make a movie about a debate between a Christian and an atheist, make sure they both have strong arguments. The Christian doesn't even have to win to promote Jesus, in my opinion. Wooden acting I can deal with. But poor apologetics in a movie that is focused on apologetics (is belief in God rational or not?) and stereotyped characters really dampen my opinion of the movie. I haven't seen it. I don't intend to.

One line is the tired old cliche of "You can't prove God's existence, but you can't disprove His existence either". I love my brothers and sisters in Christ very much. But this isn't going to persuade atheists. They already know they can't disprove God, if they're honest. That's not the point.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:06 am
Scarlet_Teardrops

I've not seen any of them.

Haven't heard much about "Heaven is Real". No desire to see it.

However, I've heard a lot about "Noah" and "God's Not Dead". The "Noah" movie is not according to the Biblical account, though I have heard that it is from Old Testament apocryphal books, specifically the book of Enoch. I don't know if this is true or not. I haven't read Enoch. I will not be seeing the movie, however. No desire to.

As for "God's Not Dead", I've heard some very good things about it. Most of the brethren I know promote it. But I have a problem with the movie because of certain critiques made by others, including a Christian movie reviewer. Apparently everyone is stereotyped, the acting is wooden, and the apologetics are terrible. If you're going to make a movie about a debate between a
Christian and an atheist, make sure they both have strong arguments. The Christian doesn't even have to win to promote Jesus, in my opinion. Wooden acting I can deal with. But poor apologetics in a movie that is focused on apologetics (is belief in God rational or not?) and stereotyped characters really dampen my opinion of the movie. I haven't seen it. I don't intend to.

One line is the tired old cliche of "You can't prove God's existence, but you can't disprove His existence either". I love my brothers and sisters in Christ very much. But this isn't going to persuade atheists. They already know they can't disprove God, if they're honest. That's not the point.

I agree with most of this. It was very stereotyped and the actong was bad. I also didnt like that they were cramming multiple storylines. I wish they would have just focused on the debate. Idk, i couldnt tell what they were trying to get at with thr movie and i didnt like the ending.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:57 am
I haven't seen Son of God, but I've seen The Bible, which is apparently fundamentally the same. I liked it a lot.

God's Not Dead was okay. To people like us it's dry and the arguments are old and recycled, but to people who don't have any idea, it's pretty moving from what I've seen.

Haven't seen Noah or Heaven is for Real. John MacArthur talks smack about the latter so that makes me want to see it just a little bit.

Excited for Holy Ghost.  

Anchor for the Soul

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:57 pm
I'm waiting for them to come out on DVD, I'm too cheap to go to a theater lol.

God's Not Dead, Heaven is for Real, and Son of God sounds like they might be ok.

Not so sure about that Noah movie though, to me it sounds like they totally ignored the biblical aspect and just went all Hollywood on it. The reviews aren't too good on that one.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 am
I really enjoyed GND. It had a sweet story despite that it was really cliche and can be seen as offensive to atheists. I haven't seen the others, but I heard Noah isn't even biblical at all lol  

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
Christian Entertainment: Books, Movies & Music

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers