Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Convention Memories

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:30 pm
As y'all know, conventions are a pretty unique place, akin in ways to Vegas. What is your most exciting or memorable convention experience?

For me, I have a couple. One of the ones that really stands out for me occurred about five years ago at Fanime. I was walking across the main entry way into Fanime as Guy from Tales of the Abyss when an Anise cosplayer ran up to me chatting away in rapid Japanese, and I realized that it was Haruka Momoi, the Japanese voice actress for Anise! She pulled me over into an official photoshoot along with a couple of other cosplayers. After she left, the cosplayers and I stared at each other for a moment, before laughing at the moment.  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:23 am
I have a bunch of interesting ones, weird ones, good ones and bad ones *will try to keep some pg13*
At my 1st con ever *5yrs ago* I went to the con dance, and got grinded on by a random girl and 2 guys, then they left and one of the dudes smacked my butt, a few moments later a different girl came and she stuck her hand on my pants and said nice, I was so shocked that all I said was thanks and bye now.

Here is another one, one of my friends wanted to go see the good morning musume concert during the con, most of my friends were to lazy, as was I *had to be at a video game tournament* so we was pretty upset and we get in the elevator to get back to our room in the hotel, then we hear a girls voice asking us if we went to the concert, my friend is looking down and says no and im sad about that. She then tells him oh, your a big fan of ours? He looks up and its good morning musume and it turns out their room was right across from ours.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:42 pm
Extreme Cuddler
I have a bunch of interesting ones, weird ones, good ones and bad ones *will try to keep some pg13*
At my 1st con ever *5yrs ago* I went to the con dance, and got grinded on by a random girl and 2 guys, then they left and one of the dudes smacked my butt, a few moments later a different girl came and she stuck her hand on my pants and said nice, I was so shocked that all I said was thanks and bye now.

Here is another one, one of my friends wanted to go see the good morning musume concert during the con, most of my friends were to lazy, as was I *had to be at a video game tournament* so we was pretty upset and we get in the elevator to get back to our room in the hotel, then we hear a girls voice asking us if we went to the concert, my friend is looking down and says no and im sad about that. She then tells him oh, your a big fan of ours? He looks up and its good morning musume and it turns out their room was right across from ours.

Oh, wow! That's awesome! Well, the part about meeting the singer, that is. I remember once I was cosplaying as Guy from Tales of the Abyss and I got kicked out of the women's bathroom. The same thing happened this past summer as Musica from Rave Master. Haha.  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 am
xinitia
Extreme Cuddler

Oh, wow! That's awesome! Well, the part about meeting the singer, that is. I remember once I was cosplaying as Guy from Tales of the Abyss and I got kicked out of the women's bathroom. The same thing happened this past summer as Musica from Rave Master. Haha.
oh my, did they ask you to use the men's instead?  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:55 am
Extreme Cuddler
xinitia
Extreme Cuddler

No, they just asked that I leave. The first time was from a cleaning lady (who I suspect had never been to a convention before), and the second was from a con goer, who realized her mistake and chased after me to invite me back in. That was an... interesting conversation.  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:47 pm
xinitia
Extreme Cuddler
xinitia
Extreme Cuddler

No, they just asked that I leave. The first time was from a cleaning lady (who I suspect had never been to a convention before), and the second was from a con goer, who realized her mistake and chased after me to invite me back in. That was an... interesting conversation.
oh dear, heh  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:19 pm
I have a lot of memorable and exciting things that happen to me at all conventions. Here are a couple:

1. At my first con, Youmacon 2009, I was cosplaying Dr McCoy from Star Trek the Original series. Since it was my first Anime / Cosplay con I was in awe of everything. Also this con was just a few months after the new Star Trek movie had come out. Nobody ever wants to take my photo. Everywhere I turned I couldn't go far without someone yelling for me to stop so that they could take my picture. Being a photographer I'm not use to being on the other end of a camera. 50 different people and cosplayers that day took my photo and the experience got me hooked on Cosplaying and very excited about being their. smile

2. At Shutocon 2013 I joined in on doing a group photoshoot for the first time. Before then all I did was take random shots of cosplayers. Joining in on doing a photoshoot of characters of the "Tokyo Mew Mew" series I learned a lot about doing photoshoots in general. Afterwards I talked to one of the cosplayers and she agreed to do a personal photoshoot at the next con. I was so excited and couldn't wait to do the photoshoot. That day I became a "Cosplay Photographer"!! smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 am
I remember from Sakura-con 2014, me and my friends went to a black butler panel. While some of the black butler cosplayers were doing an act, behind them you could see Ciel and Alois sitting on each other. Sebastian, Claude, Alois and Ciel cosplayers were doing some weird yaoi-ish things while they were waiting for their turn.

At the same convention, I also went to a attack on titan panel and we plaid a game where everyone stood against the wall and one attack on titan cosplayer would have to step out of the room so that we can pick a killer. Whenever the killer made eye contact with you, you have to scream and fall down. It was fun, a Komaeda cosplayer was one of the killers which I thought was funny.  

KaedeKaia

11,740 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Cool Competitor 150

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 pm
I've got a couple, but I'll tl;dr them, as I should prolly go to bed in a bit.

1) Kyle ********* Gohan, Kamina, Ryu, etc., etc.) told me I lost the game once.

2) I tried to bum a smoke off a guy after Katsucon back in 2010, and it turned out to be Chris Ayres. (he actually offered me one the following year upon seeing me, but I politely declined, as I already had some. sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:49 am
My most memorable convention memory unfortunately isn't a good one. At Naka Kon 2015 we had a weirdo randomly come up, smell, and harass a member of our group after the hilarious hentai dubs panel. One of his friends came by and apologized for his behavior later, but the damage was already done. I'm only sorry that this was my friend's first convention and that he had experienced this.  

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:32 pm
darklingtears
My most memorable convention memory unfortunately isn't a good one. At Naka Kon 2015 we had a weirdo randomly come up, smell, and harass a member of our group after the hilarious hentai dubs panel. One of his friends came by and apologized for his behavior later, but the damage was already done. I'm only sorry that this was my friend's first convention and that he had experienced this.

That's terrible! I really hate harassment at conventions. I, unfortunately, have also been the target of harassment on multiple occasions. I'm glad that you were there for your friend!

It usually takes many times over of good memories to overcome a single bad one. What's your favorite happy memory?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:42 pm
xinitia
darklingtears

That's terrible! I really hate harassment at conventions. I, unfortunately, have also been the target of harassment on multiple occasions. I'm glad that you were there for your friend!

It usually takes many times over of good memories to overcome a single bad one. What's your favorite happy memory?

It probably was the Hilarious Hentai Dubs Panel. I laughed so hard watching those montages that I began crying a couple times. Half the time it was because I didn't realize until that moment who those voice actors had played in the past ahem Yugi Muto and Ash Ketchum ahem  

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

NarkSalad

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:48 am
So one con we went to a rave at a con (in costume which was extremely difficult but super fun) and i sat down with my boyfriend to take a break. Then this guy came up to me and stared for a second and took his hat off and asked me to dance. i ended up politely declining because i was really tired and im sure my boyfriend wouldnt be comfortable with that but i felt so bad because he looked so sad as he walked back to the dance floor D:  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:51 am
I travelled across the country from Chicagoland to Dallas, Texas for my first convention way back in 2007. A-Kon was huge, colorful, and exciting.

My main memory is of Jet Texas cosplaying Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop, letting me hold his Ein corgi plushie, and talking with my friends about all things cosplay. He explained how the 'bolts' on his metal face plate were painted tiny googly eyes, and how he wanted to cosplay regular Jet, but joked that he'd have to do weightlifting exclusively with one arm!

It was an awesome experience not only meeting a spot-on cosplayer, but having that person be relatable, friendly, and funny! I find every con to be a little like twisted Disneyland, where you are able to meet all your favorite characters. It created an awesome atmosphere that I still look back on with fondness 3nodding

Llarian

Valiant Leaf

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:13 pm
I have several memorable convention experiences.

[1] At Otafest 2014, I had a blast with my Kingdom Hearts group and we met other Kingdom Hearts cosplayers, who later became part of our group. I made 12 sea salt ice cream Popsicles to share with my Kingdom Hearts group (plus newcomers) and my best friend, who I needed to pay back for him being my pack mule. XD We even found a good spot to represent the Clock Tower, too! Lots of pictures of us were taken. See our group page, Otafest/Animethon KH Cosplayers, for pictures. (Most pictures were taken at Otafest 2014. Some were taken at Animethon 20 though. It will be noted on the pictures.)

[2] I met Quinton Flynn at Otafest 2015. I enjoyed his Q&A/autograph panel. I was sitting in the very first row. Someone asked him to sing Yaoi Song. (At that time, I didn't know about the Yaoi Song until I looked it up after the convention was over.) Normally, the lyrics was about Cloud/Reno, but at the panel, Quinton changed the lyrics to Roxas/Axel. I should also note that I'm 99% sure that I was the only Lea (Axel's Somebody) cosplayer in the room. I would like to think that he got inspired to change up the lyrics because of me. See link for a collage about my adventures during Otafest 2015. It contains a picture of Quinton and I, plus the Axel poster that he signed.

[3] I met Vic Mignogna at Otafest Aurora 2015. I also enjoyed his panel. He talked about his experiences, which was interesting to hear. I was the only Zero Kiryu (Vampire Knight) cosplayer in the room. He called me out and loved my cosplay. It was such a "Senpai noticed me" moment! He signed the inner back cover of my Vampire Knight: Official Fanbook while I got my boyfriend to have him sign a Rin poster that I got at Otafest 2015. Vic must have loved the Rin poster because he literally took out his cellphone and took a picture of it. See link for a picture.

Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games