Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
should we repent for our dreams

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:31 pm
We can't control them and we don't ask for them so should we repent for them?  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:33 pm
My answer is yes. Even though you can't control dreams (sometimes you can), dreams actually form from subconscious thought. In my experience, dreams show what the heart and the mind dwell over or think about. Just like Jesus said looking at another person with lust is adultery, if you've done so in a dream it still applies. Dreams are never unfounded.

In other words, even though you can't control your dreams, there's usually something in your heart or in the way you think about things or other people that needs to change. For this, you should repent, and ask God to show you exactly what that is.  

ThatOneMusicalGirl

Blessed Informer

8,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:59 am
ThatOneMusicalGirl
My answer is yes. Even though you can't control dreams (sometimes you can), dreams actually form from subconscious thought. In my experience, dreams show what the heart and the mind dwell over or think about. Just like Jesus said looking at another person with lust is adultery, if you've done so in a dream it still applies. Dreams are never unfounded.

In other words, even though you can't control your dreams, there's usually something in your heart or in the way you think about things or other people that needs to change. For this, you should repent, and ask God to show you exactly what that is.

Honestly, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Yeah, some dreams come from your thoughts (fear over a job or test. Dreaming about someone you're attracted to) but i don't believe all of them are so. Some are just compilations of things due to the brain being highly active.  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:51 am
It depends: upon awaking, did we approve or disapprove of the sin committed? If we disprove of it, agreeing that it was wrong, we are repentant. We're not trying to hide that the sin was wrong, we're openly confessing / admitting, "this transgresses God's law". And now, being a believer for a few years, even during the dream, I resist the things I easily recognize as sin—and when I don't, or when the person in my dream through whose perspective I'm viewing the dream doesn't resist sin, then it's usually symbolic of something and I understand what it is when I wake up.

In the beginning of my walk, a lot of the sinful actions in my dreams I have no qualms saying were a result of the sinful information I fed my mind (whether it was sensory overload from TV programs, movies, music/lyrics, things I read, things I let my mind linger on, which glorified sin as morally right/fun) and I was a very lustful person before getting saved so that didn't help. As soon as my information "diet" changed though—which meant I mostly fed on scripture and started having godly conversations with people, and those started dominating my conversations—my dreams also changed. When I became a believer I started eating differently too (started eating for function/purpose not to please my senses or out of boredom) and apparently what you eat affects your dreams too (before becoming a believer I was very into lucid dreaming so I would eat accordingly lol). Not surprisingly, after I became very disciplined about what I let my eyes, ears and tongue (and consequently mind) feast on throughout the day, that did have an impact on the kinds of dreams I had. My mind became a very different battlefield after I put a leash on what could or could not pass into my body/mind: it's all information on some level.

Nowadays, if I have a dream where sin is involved, I'm usually resisting it in the dream. And if sin is committed in my dream, it's usually in relation to:

(1) something I already saw someone commit throughout the day,

(2) how someone transgressed against me that day and I haven't addressed it/corrected it sufficiently enough; or

(3) I'm getting rebuked for not recognizing something, which I personally committed, for the sin that it is. So, I've found myself dreaming of a sin I would normally react to with, "UH, THAT IS SIN! I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!" and then I wake up and I'm like, "oh, that thing I did yesterday was just as bad in spirit; I might as well had been prostituted and not resisted"; I think it's the Holy Spirit making comparisons to let me know of times I failed to recognize sin in my life.

This one time I dreamt of a married couple: the wife was a believer, but I doubt the husband was a believer (because the husband was cheating on her). The wife knew her husband was cheating, that he would continue being unfaithful, and it was just understood that she had been trying to fix the situation for a long time. But then one "day", instead of fighting him on it, she decided to take a bath with her husband, in a mixture of feces/chocolate (what he usually bathed in apparently) instead of her usual shower (with water) and her husband was all like, "oh :l you're not resisting anymore. Okay, not really impressed, but okay, you can join the orgy too with the woman I have on the side" (though the other woman wasn't present in the bath tub, let alone the apartment). And the name of his wife was Grace, I remember that detail clearly. So it was like you have God's grace, you have the power to resist, and purify the situation, but instead you succumb to the filth of your unconverted husband. Upon waking I knew exactly who that dream was about because the night before I had witnessed the believing person in the relationship walk all over God's commands just to please their spouse (and the unbeliever in the relationship was not even aware of the command she was violating, he's oblivious to the whole God thing). She does praise God in front of her significant other's presence sometimes, but she readily succumbs to his "dirt" and denies God for the sake of maintaining peace in the situation/relationship.

So the reason why I share that example is to demonstrate: we can dream of sin, but not be the one who needs to repent. In certain cases, the Holy Spirit could be trying to teach you something about a situation that unfolded in front of your eyes.

The meaningless dreams where it could be just high brain activity I rarely remember upon waking. Most of my dreams, that I remember, are meaningful and have either a spiritual lesson, an example of me resisting sin, or they're a conviction about my own sins, something I failed to do or something I did wrong in spirit, though not by the letter, yet I need to recognize it as sin.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:24 pm
real eyes realize
It depends: upon awaking, did we approve or disapprove of the sin committed? If we disprove of it, agreeing that it was wrong, we are repentant. We're not trying to hide that the sin was wrong, we're openly confessing / admitting, "this transgresses God's law". And now, being a believer for a few years, even during the dream, I resist the things I easily recognize as sin—and when I don't, or when the person in my dream through whose perspective I'm viewing the dream doesn't resist sin, then it's usually symbolic of something and I understand what it is when I wake up.

In the beginning of my walk, a lot of the sinful actions in my dreams I have no qualms saying were a result of the sinful information I fed my mind (whether it was sensory overload from TV programs, movies, music/lyrics, things I read, things I let my mind linger on, which glorified sin as morally right/fun) and I was a very lustful person before getting saved so that didn't help. As soon as my information "diet" changed though—which meant I mostly fed on scripture and started having godly conversations with people, and those started dominating my conversations—my dreams also changed. When I became a believer I started eating differently too (started eating for function/purpose not to please my senses or out of boredom) and apparently what you eat affects your dreams too (before becoming a believer I was very into lucid dreaming so I would eat accordingly lol). Not surprisingly, after I became very disciplined about what I let my eyes, ears and tongue (and consequently mind) feast on throughout the day, that did have an impact on the kinds of dreams I had. My mind became a very different battlefield after I put a leash on what could or could not pass into my body/mind: it's all information on some level.

Nowadays, if I have a dream where sin is involved, I'm usually resisting it in the dream. And if sin is committed in my dream, it's usually in relation to:

(2) how someone transgressed against me that day and I haven't addressed it/corrected it sufficiently enough; or

User Image

(3) I'm getting rebuked for not recognizing something, which I personally committed, for the sin that it is. So, I've found myself dreaming of a sin I would normally react to with, "UH, THAT IS SIN! I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!" and then I wake up and I'm like, "oh, that thing I did yesterday was just as bad in spirit; I might as well had been prostituted and not resisted"; I think it's the Holy Spirit making comparisons to let me know of times I failed to recognize sin in my life.

This one time I dreamt of a married couple: the wife was a believer, but I doubt the husband was a believer (because the husband was cheating on her). The wife knew her husband was cheating, that he would continue being unfaithful, and it was just understood that she had been trying to fix the situation for a long time. But then one "day", instead of fighting him on it, she decided to take a bath with her husband, in a mixture of feces/chocolate (what he usually bathed in apparently) instead of her usual shower (with water) and her husband was all like, "oh :l you're not resisting anymore. Okay, not really impressed, but okay, you can join the orgy too with the woman I have on the side" (though the other woman wasn't present in the bath tub, let alone the apartment). And the name of his wife was Grace, I remember that detail clearly. So it was like you have God's grace, you have the power to resist, and purify the situation, but instead you succumb to the filth of your unconverted husband. Upon waking I knew exactly who that dream was about because the night before I had witnessed the believing person in the relationship walk all over God's commands just to please their spouse (and the unbeliever in the relationship was not even aware of the command she was violating, he's oblivious to the whole God thing). She does praise God in front of her significant other's presence sometimes, but she readily succumbs to his "dirt" and denies God for the sake of maintaining peace in the situation/relationship.

So the reason why I share that example is to demonstrate: we can dream of sin, but not be the one who needs to repent. In certain cases, the Holy Spirit could be trying to teach you something about a situation that unfolded in front of your eyes.

The meaningless dreams where it could be just high brain activity I rarely remember upon waking. Most of my dreams, that I remember, are meaningful and have either a spiritual lesson, an example of me resisting sin, or they're a conviction about my own sins, something I failed to do or something I did wrong in spirit, though not by the letter, yet I need to recognize it as sin.

But is that actually what your dreams mean or just how you choose to interpret it  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:22 pm
ChibiHigh
real eyes realize

But is that actually what your dreams mean or just how you choose to interpret it

That was the interpretation I received the moment I woke up. I wasn't trying to make up an interpretation—it was instantly received. Of course, dream interpretation is a gift (like Joseph and Daniel, and it seems like Jacob and his other sons could interpret dreams too; I'll put the verses below). You could always ask God in prayer for the wisdom to interpret your dreams.

If you want to know how to distinguish a normal dream from a spiritual message: the dreams with spiritual lessons, at least for me, are unforgettable (and for my family members it's the same; they've even had predictive dreams, where they foresaw an event happening; then years later it happens and everyone recalls the dream they once told us about). The dream I described in my previous reply I think it's been a year or so and the mental images are still fresh.

Verses:

Quote:
Genesis 37:5-11 (NIV)

5 Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more. 6 He said to them, “Listen to this dream I had: 7 We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it.”

8 His brothers said to him, “Do you intend to reign over us? Will you actually rule us?” And they hated him all the more because of his dream and what he had said.

9 Then he had another dream, and he told it to his brothers. “Listen,” he said, “I had another dream, and this time the sun and moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me.”

10 When he told his father as well as his brothers, his father rebuked him and said, “What is this dream you had? Will your mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow down to the ground before you?” 11 His brothers were jealous of him, but his father kept the matter in mind.

Quote:
Genesis 41:15-16 (NIV)

15 Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I had a dream, and no one can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.”

16 “I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to Pharaoh, “but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.”

Quote:
Genesis 41:25-27 (NIV)

25 Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one and the same. God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do. 26 The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good heads of grain are seven years; it is one and the same dream. 27 The seven lean, ugly cows that came up afterward are seven years, and so are the seven worthless heads of grain scorched by the east wind: They are seven years of famine.

Quote:
Daniel 5:12 (NIV)

12 He did this because Daniel, whom the king called Belteshazzar, was found to have a keen mind and knowledge and understanding, and also the ability to interpret dreams, explain riddles and solve difficult problems. Call for Daniel, and he will tell you what the writing means.”

Quote:
James 1:5 (NIV)

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Christian Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces