Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Was C.S. Lewis a Heretic?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:03 am
Was C.S. Lewis a Heretic?  
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:02 am
The only thing I really know about C.S. Lewis is his Narnia book series. That series reinforced my faith quite a bit and is one of few fantasy series I really enjoy anymore.

That being said. If he really did believe in purgatory, then he was likely catholic. I don't think that necessarily makes him a heretic. I'd have to know more about him and what all he believed and such before I decided if I thought he was legit or not. I'm kind of on the fence about the catholic church. I don't believe that a lot of their doctrine is correct, but I have known some catholics who were very Christian and seemed very holy spirit filled. So...I dunno. It's hard for me to decide exactly what I feel.  

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

Ophelias Bathwater

High-functioning Werewolf

13,725 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:34 am
CS Lewis was introduced to Christianity by JRR Tolkien, who was a Catholic, but I think CS Lewis was baptized Church of England. Which is similar but different to Catholicism. Prior to the Second Vatican Council (which was in convocation around the time of Lewis' death), the Catholic church did teach about purgatory, so it would stand to reason that Lewis' beliefs would reflect that.

His beliefs, like ours, were shaped by the world around him. I certainly wouldn't call him a heretic for it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:00 pm
I copied this from the comments section:

"Regarding CS Lewis, he called Jesus ignorant. In his book, The World's Last Night: And Other Essays, on page 98, regarding the verse in Mark 13:30-32 (which says: "30 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away. 32 But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.), C.S. Lewis states of Jesus "He said in so many words,'this generation shall not pass till all these things be done.' And he was wrong. He clearly knew no more about the end of the world than anyone else." Lewis calls it "certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible."

On page 99, he goes further to state "The facts, then, are these: that Jesus professed himself (in some sense) ignorant, and within a moment showed that he really was so." Christ's statement may have confused the listeners just as his parables did, but can we draw the conclusion that a perfect God was ignorant? Not safely. God chooses his words for his own purpose and we are left to reckon with them. If Lewis believed Jesus was ignorant, did he really bow his knee? To what gospel does he ascribe that such an "ignorant" God can perform salvation?

Ever wonder why the Narnia books contain so much magic and depictions of pagan gods as heroes? You can search online and read Lewis' own words that describe the influence of the occult and paganism upon his life (and his belief in the Tao which mixed paganism and Christianity), then determine if his writings still contain their influence. Lightness and darkness don't mix. Calling Jesus ignorant is a far cry from worshiping him as God."  

ChibiHigh

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff