Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Services

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili services, soquili, horse, fantasy breedables, native america 

Reply Feedback Forum
[S] Wishing Stars Limited to Pre-exisiting Couples?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should Wishing Star Miracle Baby/Extra Gift Slots be Limited to Pre-exisiting Couples?
Yes!
55%
 55%  [ 25 ]
No!
26%
 26%  [ 12 ]
Maybe?
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 45

Cajmera

Ruthless Phantom

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:47 pm
So, Wishing Stars seem to be happening more often, which is great! It's nice to both have an opportunity to get Soquili that tie into the owners' plots and dreams while still giving the colorists creative freedom.

That said, my suggestion relates to two specific Wishing Star categories: Miracle Baby and Extra Gift (i.e., the ones that relate to parenthood). This has nothing to do with the Long Lost Family Member/True Friend Slots.

I would like to suggest that going forward, entry in these two wishing star categories be limited to pairs already established before the wishing star opened. This does not mean that they have to be rp couples, but that they have to have been discussed and have their mockbreeding/lifemating permission posted and approved before the Wishing Star opens.

I'm all for spreading the love and like that people can post for pre-exisitng pairs that belong to other people (with permission). However, when Wishing Stars are supposed to be the answer to a deep desire or dream on the part of the wisher(s), it seems weird to have pairs thrown together just to enter the Wishing Star event. It makes sense with breeding raffles; those offspring are 'real' biological children, and we all know that those can come out of any random encounter. But it seems out of character for the Wishing Star itself.

So...those are my thoughts.  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:49 pm
I don't know about that. The Soquili that I am entering is wishing on the star because she has a deep, longing desire for children of her own, but has had no luck finding love. She's not the sort to fling. The only reason I am throwing her into a pair is so that there is a 'father' to use as a reference for the pairing, rather than just having her colors and markings to use. She can have a foal without any actual father/couple interaction IC, if the Wishing Star grants it.

EDIT: My point here is that there are a lot of situations that could warrant a non-lifemated wish to the Star, and the wish made may not fall into the family member/friend category.  

Pijrrh

Magical Gekko

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Flatterer 200

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:07 pm
I'm torn. I agree with your argument. But in breeding only WS openings a single soq has no hope.

I, personally, don't have any couples that can't naturally breed (working on one, but it will take some time to get to that point). And for a WS I'd rather not try for the couples who can breed normally for a few reasons. In part because I'd rather they be true family, in part because I want the chance at throwbacks from previous generations, in part because the WS tends to be more limited in what you get from breeds and edits, in part because I can get children from normal breedings for them. So I want to try for something that would either be a more rare opportunity (like the long lost relative) or that I'm less inclined to be as particular about.

Not to mention that people new to the shop who don't have soq yet or don't have partners for their soq end up left out. I wouldn't mind if in breeding only WS there was a category added for 'Child of my Heart' or some such. Something that still gives the option for the WS to those who have no breedings they want in the WS to still be able to enter with a single soq. But I wouldn't want to restrict to pre-existing couples only without an option for those who don't have couples they can or would enter.  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:10 pm
I don't normally respond to feedback threads mainly because of that fear of being backlashed on, but I felt I should toss my two cents in for this moment.

I completely agree.

I have always loved Wishing Stars. My favorite family has had the best luck when it comes to them and I love that the colorists made such different looking kids. Their creativity is endless.

I would hate to see them stopped or fewer of them. I am happy that there will be more of them. They are a great opportunity.

However, I do feel Wishing Stars should be for already established couples, whether it be lifemating/lovemating/whatever. I think just flinging two Soquili together defeats the whole purpose of a Wishing Star. It's suppose to be a wish between two Soq that love each other, unless I'm completely mistaken, or care enough about each other to actually go through with it. Not to just have a chance at getting a new Soq or even TWO baskets for both owners.

I could have chosen to go with someone who flings, but I personally felt that would be wrong especially with someone he barely knows.
I can't imagine him saying, or anyone else for that matter, "Oh hey, I don't know you, but let's wish on this star to have babies together???"
To me that doesn't sound like it would even happen between two strangers.

Don't get me wrong though. Wishing Stars are a great opportunity to weave plots together as Caj said. I just think some, not all, use it as an excuse for more chances at getting Soquili. Which I can understand, Soquili aren't easy to come by sometimes. Though I feel the chances of getting one now are a lot better then they were before. The colorists are working really hard to give us more chances.

I respect that.

As Caj stated, they don't have to be Rped. Some people don't have the time for that. I know I certainly don't at the moment. I'm having trouble responding to the Rps I already have, which is why I can only stick to a couple pairs.

A part of me wanted to enter Chosovi and Gareth, just because I adore that soon-to-be pairing and if kids were thrown into the mix it would make for some interesting plots. But no. I didn't just want to toss them together just for a chance at this.

But that is my opinion on the matter. heart

XxXPandamoniumXxX

Fandom Supporter

Nayci

Dangerous Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:13 pm
XxXPandamoniumXxX
I don't normally respond to feedback threads mainly because of that fear of being backlashed on, but I felt I should toss my two cents in for this moment.

I completely agree.

I have always loved Wishing Stars. My favorite family has had the best luck when it comes to them and I love that the colorists made such different looking kids. Their creativity is endless.

I would hate to see them stopped or fewer of them. I am happy that there will be more of them. They are a great opportunity.

However, I do feel Wishing Stars should be for already established couples, whether it be lifemating/lovemating/whatever. I think just flinging two Soquili together defeats the whole purpose of a Wishing Star. It's suppose to be a wish between two Soq that love each other, unless I'm completely mistaken, or care enough about each other to actually go through with it. Not to just have a chance at getting a new Soq or even TWO baskets for both owners.

I could have chosen to go with someone who flings, but I personally felt that would be wrong especially with someone he barely knows.
I can't imagine him saying, or anyone else for that matter, "Oh hey, I don't know you, but let's wish on this star to have babies together???"

Don't get me wrong though. Wishing Stars are a great opportunity to weave plots together as Caj said. I just think some, not all, use it as an excuse for more chances at getting Soquili. Which I can understand, Soquili aren't easy to come by sometimes. Though I feel the chances of getting one now are a lot better then they were before. The colorists are working really hard to give us more chances.

I respect that.

As Caj stated, they don't have to be Rped. Some people don't have the time for that. I know I certainly don't at the moment. I'm having trouble responding to the Rps I already have, which is why I can only stick to a couple pairs.

A part of me wanted to enter Chosovi and Gareth, just because I adore that soon-to-be pairing and if kids were thrown into the mix it would make for some interesting plots. But no. I didn't just want to toss them together just for a chance at this.

Well said Panda. And I completely agree with you and Caj. *nodnod*  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 pm
XxXPandamoniumXxX

I completely agree.

I respect that.

This as well. I have one family that has had a lot of luck with the wishing star and 'adoptions' it's been amazing to see their family grow and it has made sense for that couple to wish. I feel that allowing random pairs takes away the chances for those couples that could really use the slots.

Perhaps a compromise could be done though? Depending on the colorists? Have most of the slots be 'pre-existing' but maybe one for random pairs? Though personally I'd prefer all couples to be pre-existing. Even random pairs could make the effort to do it and still be qualified, they would just have to do it in advance now.  

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50

RockerWolfie1616
Crew

Timid Wolf

14,400 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:20 pm
I agree with Panda and Caj on this totally..
If you want to throw tons of random soq together wait for a mixer / twisted tunnel of love? Those are always fun. I understand people being kind & wanting to gift a basket to someone who might not have a soquili just yet but, as panda said..there have been so many things lately..someone could co-own with a newbie if they hang around enough and show initiative..or you could just be straight up given a soq. That's what happened to me, thats what made me 'no longer a newbie'. If you really wanna gift a newbie or someone with less soq form the wishing star why not win the basket and then co-own?
Lots of options here.
Wishing stars in my opinion shouldn't feel like a mixer : /

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:58 am
Honestly, this is the only WS I have felt feels like a mixer. But it is also the only one I'm aware of that hasn't had the non breeding options. I think that is a big part of my reluctance at the idea. To me, as long as there are options for those who don't have a pre-existing couple, I'm all for limiting it. But if couples are the only option, I wouldn't want to have someone have to sit out.  

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Mameha Otome

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:22 am
I'm going to admit outright I'm not a fan of the fact same-sex couples have to have an established RP proving they're a couple to even enter in the WS. I haven't had the time, nor drive to work with my partner to set up a romantic RP for a same-sex couple who in turn will end up as part of a threesome relationship. This means we wanted to enter, and realized we wouldn't be allowed to because of the RP requirement.

Beyond not agreeing with the RP demand for same-sex couples, I agree with what Panda said. I held back from being selfish and trying to put together a fling of my own to let people with better established couples enter a WS they so rightfully deserve.  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:19 am
On one hand, I agree that this fits with the theme of wishing stars more. BUT, I know I've entered breeding slots and wishing stars with the mentality that my Soq wants to have foals (literally more than anything) but doesn't have a partner and isn't in love. It is situations like these that I feel are what these "flung together" couples should be like - one of them must want children if they are asking the wishing star, it's just that they don't necessarily have one person they'd like to have them with.

And as for the RP requirement for non-standard couples, I propose a counter-selection process. I agree you shouldn't just be able to put literally any two ponies together, but I also feel this is very discriminatory against people who don't RP (or only RP OOCly) but the Soq are still very loyal to each other etc.... Therefore I think the rules should be changed to something like:

The soquili must have either:
aaaaaaaaaaa1. An RP (over 1000 words or 10 posts) proving that they are a couple.
aaaaaaaaor
aaaaaaaaaaa2. A lifemating agreement between the two (or more) of them.

This way people can still have a commitment (lifemating is a pretty big commitment with the penalty for breaking it) but necessarily need to have RPed it out etc...

Phail Ninja
Vice Captain

Man-Hungry Sex Symbol

Cajmera

Ruthless Phantom

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:47 am
Another thought: Since I agree there is a valid arguement for single Soquili who desperately want children but aren't of the nature to fling to wish on a star; what if:

A) Single parents are added as an option to the Miracle Baby slot, meaning no partner is necessary to wish for a child, or
B) A single parent category was added to the Wishing Star list?  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 am
Cajmera
Another thought: Since I agree there is a valid arguement for single Soquili who desperately want children but aren't of the nature to fling to wish on a star; what if:

A) Single parents are added as an option to the Miracle Baby slot, meaning no partner is necessary to wish for a child, or
B) A single parent category was added to the Wishing Star list?

I like this idea, i have a Mini who isn't currently with someone, she isn't looking mostly because she believes she's incapable of having foals. She 'adopts' foals when they have no parents but she would love a baby of her own that she KNOWS doesn't have parents out there somewhere. She loves her adoptive children but she wishes for one of her own more than anything.  

Revel1984

Friendly Shapeshifter

16,200 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:42 am
For wishing stars like this one that is limited to breeding-style wishes, I think a "single parent" would be a great solution for people who don't have a set couple they want and prevent flings. It also makes it so that established, lifemated or otherwise couples who are dedicated aren't in direct competition for the slots against people who are just throwing something together randomly for the opportunity? Single parent slots also give the colorists something to inspire them for the base, but lets them have the influence from the star make the offspring as varied as they like. This would just be a wish from the star who is blessing the soquili with a child. I don't see why it couldn't grant a basket to a soquili really wanting a child who doesn't have a love in their life yet.

I also like the idea that for ANY couple (same sex OR normal couple) they either have to be LM or RP'd. And have the single parent option be a choice C for anyone. Maybe that could also be the category for people who don't have any soquili could borrow (with permission) someone's soquili for the slot? I'm not sure. You could also still loan out an established couple for people wanting an offspring from it like you currently can.
That lets the story progress with having a foal, and have someone else to RP with (the person receiving the foal).  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:25 am
At first I was kind of "eh" about this, but the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards yes.

The reason the RP "requirement" was there in the first place, was because at the time, Same-Sex (or interspecies) couples couldn't be on the Lifemates/Mate listing.

Now, since they can, I think the whole "pre-established" couples rule would be simpler and could apply to both Miracle babies and Extra Gifts.

I also love the "Single Parent" idea as well, for those that don't have any established couples.

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

mindsend
Vice Captain

Ghost Trash

17,975 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:45 pm
We're actually pondering for the next 'breeding only' wishing star having there be a single submission entry for "Adoption": We've yet to decide the style of it as to whether it'd be rogue breeding and have the mother/father's look combined with a mystery made up non-existent pony (perhaps including a semi-custom thing to prevent both inbreeding and pairing them with a non-existent pony that would absolutely repulse you and the parent), a Random growing semi-custom similar to the "True-Friend" category, or even both options as separate entries that might be in some Breeding Only Wishing Stars and not in others depending on the colorists involved's preferences (As some colorists/staff are heavily against "Rogue breedings" While others don't mind them).

I also have plans to have a "Crack-shipper spirit" Do a mixer that allows pretty much anybody to enter to create ponies that the parents, who might have never even crossed paths, don't even necessarily know exist.. But rather a trickster spirit went "LOL PONY-A AND PONY-B 4EVARS! My Crack OTP" and all the other spirits are going ".... neutral what"

Not that the ponies know that... Cause Us Art Pony making Colorist-spirits over here are undetectable to them. rofl  
Feedback Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games