About today's article on ICR, I have a question (or maybe more of a comment) on the following:

Institute for Creation Research
This baptism does not take place repeatedly in one’s life, as may be true of the “filling” of the Spirit, but once, at the time of true conversion. There are only seven explicit references in the Bible to the baptism in the Holy Spirit. All except our text are referring to the initial baptizing work of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1). It deals with the ongoing work of the Spirit in all future instances of true conversion to Christ.

...regarding "true conversion". Would I be correctly understanding this article if I said, "by ICR's understanding, the believers in Acts 8 didn't truly convert upon believing Jesus"?

Acts 8:16 (NIV)

16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

(not saying I disagree, that makes a lot of sense actually because not everyone who recognizes Jesus as Lord, or who claims to have him as Lord, will enter into the kingdom; only those who are born-again/regenerated from the inside will see the kingdom [and be saved from the sinful nature of their flesh]). The only reason I bring it up is because they're not really clear on what they mean by "true conversion".

---

That aside, I think many people are unaware that they can believe in Jesus as Lord/God, but they themselves not be saved yet, and actually do not belong to him. They're not regenerated from the inside nor have the Spirit of Christ.

Matthew 7:21-23 (NIV)

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Romans 8:7-9 (NIV)

7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

John 3:3 (NIV)

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]”

Footnotes:

a. John 3:3 The Greek for again also means from above; also in verse 7.

So, up until the point they received the Holy Spirit, the believers in Acts 8 didn't belong to Jesus Christ yet, despite believing that Jesus is Lord. I guess I'm just meditating outloud.