Welcome to Gaia! ::

Our Village

Back to Guilds

Come home to where Community Spirit grows! 

Tags: games, community, resources, role play, prizes 

Reply Village Library (Resources)
Welcome, Newbie F.A.Q., Resource List, Shops Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

empress dee

Skilled Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:00 am
Joy, I have a friend and a fellow captain who had this to say about Gaia Guilds:

When will GaiaOnline actually listen to the concerns of the guild captains?

And not just listen, but actually assign resources to make changes to guilds?

C'mon, I'd love to have guilds have the same features that regular forums have.

It seems that GaiaOnline does not care about guilds.

Quote:
If you guys can spend the same six months on forum features, you can spend the same six months on guilds. It is an utter shame that chatterbox, a forum dedicated to spammy nonsense, has more features than guilds dedicated to actually building communities, talking about interesting things and actually making GaiaOnline a more awesome place to be.

Imagine all the money you guys SAVE by having guilds! You have dedicated captains, vice captains and crew who are doing a TON of zero cost (to GaiaOnline) moderating. Imagine if you guys had to pay to moderate all 99,000+ guilds on a full time basis. That's a LOT of money and time you guys don't have to expend.

But GaiaOnline takes all that goodwill and the volunteer army of moderators for granted.

Guilds are lucky to get a new feature once every four years or so.

C'mon, take all the features and break them down one feature at a time. Every few weeks announce a new feature for the guilds. At least assign ONE full time resource to develop.

This would help give a boost to guilds, increase their usability, popularity and bring tons of new members into GaiaOnline. This is a win-win for GaiaOnline, so c'mon, you can do this!

I thought I would bring this to your attention and to the other members of this guild because they DO care and maybe see if something can be done about this.

See, on the top of my head, BobCat (the one who made the quote I repeated), myself, and you Joy are just three Guild captains that work on Guilds and are trying to make Gaia a better place to be.

I have suggested posting the quote in petitions and even added that Gaia Moderators should be given a direction on where to start.

But, in addition to those suggestions I made for BobCat, I did think of a place where Gaia Moderators can begin their revamping of guilds.

When making a Gaia guild, the NPC specifically states that owning a guild is a big responsibility and that you can lose what in the early days was a lot of gold to spend just to make a guild. These days, there are two issues in regards to this.

1. 20K gold is not a lot to spend
2. A lot of people no longer care even if they make a guild to keep it active therefore the responsibility bit has been canned.

Suggestions to fix this:

1. Have an active gaia moderator monitor the activity level of the guilds. If a guild has not received any new activity in say a full year or longer, the Gaia moderators would send a notice saying that "title of guild" has been deleted due to inactivity.

2. Have a Gaia moderator look at the current most active guilds and use them for specific styles of guilds that work. These successful guilds would serve as models of sorts and when new Gaians try and make a guild that is of the same style or has an attempted copy of one that is already successful, a suggestion of joining specific guilds would be made.

An example of what I mean by 2, is this:

Successful Guild - Our Village
Style of Our village - a compact guild that satisfies all Gaians in some way.
New Gaian trying to mimic Our Village with a different title, but similar idea gets a suggestion by the NPC who is supposed to be running guilds to join our village and save the gold for a different type of guild or another feature.

3. Raise the amount of gold it takes to create a guild and have intensified parameters for the guild to work.

Examples of intensified parameters

- increase the size of the banner required for guild titles. Some banners look terrible because of the size.

- have a better requirement for creating a banner instead of using someplace off of Gaia to use. Introducing - Gaia's Banner creation station for guilds!

OMG! I just found something that BobCat was mentioning! Gaia's banner creation station.

In this station, create a banner for a Gaia guild suited for the size and graphic requirements for a great guild.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:01 am
empress dee
Joy, I have a friend and a fellow captain who had this to say about Gaia Guilds:

Quote:
If you guys can spend the same six months on forum features, you can spend the same six months on guilds. It is an utter shame that chatterbox, a forum dedicated to spammy nonsense, has more features than guilds dedicated to actually building communities, talking about interesting things and actually making GaiaOnline a more awesome place to be.

Imagine all the money you guys SAVE by having guilds! You have dedicated captains, vice captains and crew who are doing a TON of zero cost (to GaiaOnline) moderating. Imagine if you guys had to pay to moderate all 99,000+ guilds on a full time basis. That's a LOT of money and time you guys don't have to expend.

But GaiaOnline takes all that goodwill and the volunteer army of moderators for granted.

C'mon, take all the features and break them down one feature at a time. Every few weeks announce a new feature for the guilds. At least assign ONE full time resource to develop.

This would help give a boost to guilds, increase their usability, popularity and bring tons of new members into GaiaOnline. This is a win-win for GaiaOnline, so c'mon, you can do this!

I thought I would bring this to your attention and to the other members of this guild because they DO care and maybe see if something can be done about this.

See, on the top of my head, BobCat (the one who made the quote I repeated), myself, and you Joy are just three Guild captains that work on Guilds and are trying to make Gaia a better place to be.

I have suggested posting the quote in petitions and even added that Gaia Moderators should be given a direction on where to start.

But, in addition to those suggestions I made for BobCat, I did think of a place where Gaia Moderators can begin their revamping of guilds.

When making a Gaia guild, the NPC specifically states that owning a guild is a big responsibility and that you can lose what in the early days was a lot of gold to spend just to make a guild. These days, there are two issues in regards to this.

2. A lot of people no longer care even if they make a guild to keep it active therefore the responsibility bit has been canned.

Suggestions to fix this:

1. Have an active gaia moderator monitor the activity level of the guilds. If a guild has not received any new activity in say a full year or longer, the Gaia moderators would send a notice saying that "title of guild" has been deleted due to inactivity.

2. Have a Gaia moderator look at the current most active guilds and use them for specific styles of guilds that work. These successful guilds would serve as models of sorts and when new Gaians try and make a guild that is of the same style or has an attempted copy of one that is already successful, a suggestion of joining specific guilds would be made.

New Gaian trying to mimic Our Village with a different title, but similar idea gets a suggestion by the NPC who is supposed to be running guilds to join our village and save the gold for a different type of guild or another feature.

3. Raise the amount of gold it takes to create a guild and have intensified parameters for the guild to work.

- increase the size of the banner required for guild titles. Some banners look terrible because of the size.

- have a better requirement for creating a banner instead of using someplace off of Gaia to use. Introducing - Gaia's Banner creation station for guilds!

OMG! I just found something that BobCat was mentioning! Gaia's banner creation station.

In this station, create a banner for a Gaia guild suited for the size and graphic requirements for a great guild.

These are good points. Guilds do work pretty well, so that's probably why they haven't gotten more attention, although a year or two ago they did get a little update which was nice. The idea that moderators would not be needed in guilds is not quite accurate. Moderators do have to moderate guilds a bit, especially if the guild captains are in the wrong, but you're right that captains do take some of that load off for sure..

The idea that the cost of guilds should be raised has been discussed but never implemented. Seems like an easy fix to me, but I don't know much about coding these days.

There are several petitions about guilds that could quite possibly benefit from this. I hope you find a few and liven them up! wink  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

empress dee

Skilled Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:09 pm
JoyRose
empress dee

Quote:

Suggestions to fix this:

These are good points. Guilds do work pretty well, so that's probably why they haven't gotten more attention, although a year or two ago they did get a little update which was nice. The idea that moderators would not be needed in guilds is not quite accurate. Moderators do have to moderate guilds a bit, especially if the guild captains are in the wrong, but you're right that captains do take some of that load off for sure..

The idea that the cost of guilds should be raised has been discussed but never implemented. Seems like an easy fix to me, but I don't know much about coding these days.

There are several petitions about guilds that could quite possibly benefit from this. I hope you find a few and liven them up! wink

what about the idea of the banner creation station? Do you think that by implementing something like that might help guilds?

And if anything, when it comes to the other ideas that had been petitioned but never really solved, perhaps a discussion with a moderator who does know about coding could be of use here?

I think BobCat's point with his petition was that the updates are too far apart. Every couple of years or so is just too long and his "in passing" complaint was that every other area of Gaia for now should be left alone so that the Gaia moderators who know coding and such could focus on a serious overhaul of guilds.

Personally, I have noticed no change in guilds ever since I joined and began making guilds of my own, so whatever changes have been made over the years are not even detectable, which obviously, is why BobCat's complaint became valid in my eyes.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:29 pm
empress dee
what about the idea of the banner creation station? Do you think that by implementing something like that might help guilds?

And if anything, when it comes to the other ideas that had been petitioned but never really solved, perhaps a discussion with a moderator who does know about coding could be of use here?

I think BobCat's point with his petition was that the updates are too far apart. Every couple of years or so is just too long and his "in passing" complaint was that every other area of Gaia for now should be left alone so that the Gaia moderators who know coding and such could focus on a serious overhaul of guilds.

Personally, I have noticed no change in guilds ever since I joined and began making guilds of my own, so whatever changes have been made over the years are not even detectable, which obviously, is why BobCat's complaint became valid in my eyes.

Well, they've added the ability to buy chat spaces for guilds and I think they may have stabilized the forums a bit there, even though they're still not up to regular forums standards.

As for banners, I make banners for guilds for whatever the guild captains can afford (which I donate to charity) in my Fuzzy Graphics shop.  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

empress dee

Skilled Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:23 pm
JoyRose
empress dee

Well, they've added the ability to buy chat spaces for guilds and I think they may have stabilized the forums a bit there, even though they're still not up to regular forums standards.

As for banners, I make banners for guilds for whatever the guild captains can afford (which I donate to charity) in my Fuzzy Graphics shop.

And chat spaces do nothing towards actually improving guilds. All chat spaces do, Joy is allow for dirty minded, misbehaved spoiled brats to abuse the system. I've seen it on Warcraft, it would happen here.

All guild captains should have the ability to create their own banners without having to do it off site. By creating a banner offsite, all that does is make Gaia look like a hypocritical company saying that Gaians should never do anything related to Gaia offsite because of some security tip that Gaia Moderators came up with and yet, we create banners and customize our avatars, create art designs all offsite. Not cool.

By adding a Gaia Guild banner creation station, this allows Gaians to create Guild banners while still remaining on the site of Gaia.

Oh and in regards to chat spaces not all guild captains have access to them. i don't nor do I want one. For chat spaces compromises security and allows for real life dangerous crimes to happen.

You hear on the news of worsened child molestations and crimes that really should never have happened. Well, chat spaces allow for these crimes to take place because the wicked always will take advantage of the innocent. And there are a lot of parents out there who think their children need space because they have reached puberty or are in some phase that causes them to act like idiots.

So, point being, chat spaces was a bad idea and had done nothing for guilds.
Which, Joy, only adds fuel to the fire that BobCat has already started with his complaints.

Improving guilds and actual problems needing to be dealt with are these:

Guild activity levels - chat spaces lower guild activity levels because members are too impatient and therefore, members who were once active in guilds resort to the chat spaces rather than posting in guilds.

More attractive looking front pages by adding an onsite art-related program much like how paint is and photobucket combined.

Having actual Guild models for new captains to look at to help their guilds as long as the guilds being made are not just adding to the Recycle Bin section of Gaia, which most guilds should be going these days.

Organize guilds by creating the guild style program so that all guilds under a certain style will go in those slots.

Styles include:

Compact General (Our Village counts as this style for a model guild)
Compact interest based discussion (Dragon Ball Z and empress dee would fit here)
Compact interest based role-play (Harvest Haven would fit here)
Compact Genre based (no current known guilds to model after)
Large General - The any topic guild, the Burn guild are two known guilds that are models of this style.
Large Interest based discussion - no known guilds are models of this type yet that I know of.
Large interest based role-play (Ultimate DBZ guild would fit here as well as the HKSS)
Large genre based - The Renaissance Galaxy and the Yaoi guild fits in this category.

What separates the types is their focus and how many subforums the guilds should have.

Our village counts as a compact general based guild because it does not need a mess load of subforums to make it successful.

The Any topic guild has a lot of subforums, but they are just as successful as Our village. Therefore, they fit into the Large general style.

Compact interest would be a guild that focuses on one specific topic of interest like Gravity focuses on Gravitation only, but would only need a low amount of subforums for it to work.

The difference between a compact interest discussion and a compact interest role-play would be how the guild is to be conducted. If it is a role-play, then the whole guild is focusing on a much larger scale of the role-plays we see in the main Gaia forums. If it is discussion, then there is usually an option between role-playing and talking about said topic.

Any compact style guild will have a limited amount of subforums in which can be created. At the most, a compact guild should have 7 subforums.

A large style guild will have an unlimited amount of subforums that can be created, but, in order for the guild to work, the separation of these subforums have to make sense. The any topic guild is a model guild for the general style because of this particular rule in which the captain made sure to use.

Genre based guilds differ from interest based by the fact that while they can focus on an interest, the interest isn't any one particular specific.

The Renaissance Galaxy guild is a genre based guild because it focuses on the genre of anime as opposed to one specific anime.

The Yaoi Guild is also Genre based because it focuses on the genre of all things related to boy on boy relationships.

Genre guilds are not often compact as they require more than 7 subforums to function properly.

So, as you can see, Joy from guilds that I know of, guilds can be separated and organized much better than they are and like BobCat was mentioning, it makes a much more positive result than what is currently in place.

I pointed out some issues regarding the current change you mentioned and that it had a negative effect as more guilds have increased in becoming dead rather than active.

This means, you made BobCat even angrier and made his point about not caring that much more vital.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:43 pm
empress dee
JoyRose
empress dee

And chat spaces do nothing towards actually improving guilds. All chat spaces do, Joy is allow for dirty minded, misbehaved spoiled brats to abuse the system. I've seen it on Warcraft, it would happen here.

All guild captains should have the ability to create their own banners without having to do it off site. By creating a banner offsite, all that does is make Gaia look like a hypocritical company saying that Gaians should never do anything related to Gaia offsite because of some security tip that Gaia Moderators came up with and yet, we create banners and customize our avatars, create art designs all offsite. Not cool.

By adding a Gaia Guild banner creation station, this allows Gaians to create Guild banners while still remaining on the site of Gaia.

Oh and in regards to chat spaces not all guild captains have access to them. i don't nor do I want one. For chat spaces compromises security and allows for real life dangerous crimes to happen.

You hear on the news of worsened child molestations and crimes that really should never have happened. Well, chat spaces allow for these crimes to take place because the wicked always will take advantage of the innocent. And there are a lot of parents out there who think their children need space because they have reached puberty or are in some phase that causes them to act like idiots.

So, point being, chat spaces was a bad idea and had done nothing for guilds.
Which, Joy, only adds fuel to the fire that BobCat has already started with his complaints.

Improving guilds and actual problems needing to be dealt with are these:

Guild activity levels - chat spaces lower guild activity levels because members are too impatient and therefore, members who were once active in guilds resort to the chat spaces rather than posting in guilds.

More attractive looking front pages by adding an onsite art-related program much like how paint is and photobucket combined.

Having actual Guild models for new captains to look at to help their guilds as long as the guilds being made are not just adding to the Recycle Bin section of Gaia, which most guilds should be going these days.

Organize guilds by creating the guild style program so that all guilds under a certain style will go in those slots.

Styles include:

Compact General (Our Village counts as this style for a model guild)
Compact interest based discussion (Dragon Ball Z and empress dee would fit here)
Compact interest based role-play (Harvest Haven would fit here)
Compact Genre based (no current known guilds to model after)
Large General - The any topic guild, the Burn guild are two known guilds that are models of this style.
Large Interest based discussion - no known guilds are models of this type yet that I know of.
Large interest based role-play (Ultimate DBZ guild would fit here as well as the HKSS)
Large genre based - The Renaissance Galaxy and the Yaoi guild fits in this category.

What separates the types is their focus and how many subforums the guilds should have.

Our village counts as a compact general based guild because it does not need a mess load of subforums to make it successful.

The Any topic guild has a lot of subforums, but they are just as successful as Our village. Therefore, they fit into the Large general style.

Compact interest would be a guild that focuses on one specific topic of interest like Gravity focuses on Gravitation only, but would only need a low amount of subforums for it to work.

The difference between a compact interest discussion and a compact interest role-play would be how the guild is to be conducted. If it is a role-play, then the whole guild is focusing on a much larger scale of the role-plays we see in the main Gaia forums. If it is discussion, then there is usually an option between role-playing and talking about said topic.

Any compact style guild will have a limited amount of subforums in which can be created. At the most, a compact guild should have 7 subforums.

A large style guild will have an unlimited amount of subforums that can be created, but, in order for the guild to work, the separation of these subforums have to make sense. The any topic guild is a model guild for the general style because of this particular rule in which the captain made sure to use.

Genre based guilds differ from interest based by the fact that while they can focus on an interest, the interest isn't any one particular specific.

The Renaissance Galaxy guild is a genre based guild because it focuses on the genre of anime as opposed to one specific anime.

The Yaoi Guild is also Genre based because it focuses on the genre of all things related to boy on boy relationships.

Genre guilds are not often compact as they require more than 7 subforums to function properly.

So, as you can see, Joy from guilds that I know of, guilds can be separated and organized much better than they are and like BobCat was mentioning, it makes a much more positive result than what is currently in place.

I pointed out some issues regarding the current change you mentioned and that it had a negative effect as more guilds have increased in becoming dead rather than active.

This means, you made BobCat even angrier and made his point about not caring that much more vital.

Of course I care, I'm just not as concerned about the use of the guild flash space (I guess "chat space" is a misnomer because it's not like the chat on Gaia, more like the Towns only it can be password protected so only members can enter and only when supervised if necessary). And of course, we don't use ours much so as you point out, it's not much of an improvement if any. I think the guilds could sink tons more gold with several ideas I've seen around Gaia (customized layouts, art, titles, etc.) but for some reason (perhaps because the number of guild members is dwindling, causing a vicious cycle), guilds are not a high priority for Gaia.

Personally I love guilds because I think they provide a nice place to form closer relationships than can be formed in the main forums. They also can be better controlled so a guild can be a much safer environment if you have a crew that is conscientious about tracking the activity in the guild and making sure everyone behaves appropriately. They also allow for better organization of large numbers of threads (like the planning guilds for user-run events and large role playing guilds such as the ones you mentioned). The biggest problem I see with them is people stop being as active (I've noticed this problem even in some of the guilds you mentioned). But then again, I suppose that's a problem all over Gaia to one degree or another.  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

empress dee

Skilled Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:29 pm
I think I get it. So, if say guild activity does increase with either a miracle or with the current active guilds we have now, the Gaia Moderators might see this as an opportunity to focus some more attention on them?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:07 pm
Sure, if a ton of people are active in guilds, then obviously that would bring guilds to the forefront for work. However, I noticed when there was a survey about which features needed attention most, guilds earned far fewer votes compared to other features like games and forums. sad  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

Koala QT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:48 pm
thanks for this. i found a quest on MyGaia page that's helping me, too.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:27 pm
I have a suggestion for a guild subforum... how about the Village Hospital - for help threads that don't have to do with Gaia?

Maui would make the most use out of it since he's posted the most that would fit under that category.

The idea behind the subforum is to get pity party friends. Meaning, everyone has their off days and sometimes just getting that bad day off of our chest and seeking gaian advice would be the best thing that can help.

And who knows? Maybe someone on Gaia that joins the guild would be a doctor...just a possibility.

My point, is we need a subforum for these pity party threads that Maui keeps making and I am sure that since he was the inspiration, anyone who has a bad day can follow his example.  

Terrance_Nicolas_Bogard

Skilled Gaian

6,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Voter 100

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:54 pm
Terrance_Nicolas_Bogard
I have a suggestion for a guild subforum... how about the Village Hospital - for help threads that don't have to do with Gaia?

Maui would make the most use out of it since he's posted the most that would fit under that category.

The idea behind the subforum is to get pity party friends. Meaning, everyone has their off days and sometimes just getting that bad day off of our chest and seeking gaian advice would be the best thing that can help.

And who knows? Maybe someone on Gaia that joins the guild would be a doctor...just a possibility.

My point, is we need a subforum for these pity party threads that Maui keeps making and I am sure that since he was the inspiration, anyone who has a bad day can follow his example.

Maui needs the attention he can only get in the main forum. I'm hoping he'll find solace in that and the number of threads will diminish as he settles on a topic to discuss (like maybe history with dee in his latest thread). Thanks for bumping the other threads of games and fun we have, too, so as to keep them handy for everyone. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:39 pm
JoyRose
Terrance_Nicolas_Bogard

Maui needs the attention he can only get in the main forum. I'm hoping he'll find solace in that and the number of threads will diminish as he settles on a topic to discuss (like maybe history with dee in his latest thread). Thanks for bumping the other threads of games and fun we have, too, so as to keep them handy for everyone. biggrin

Yeah, that's no problem.  

Terrance_Nicolas_Bogard

Skilled Gaian

6,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Voter 100

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:19 pm
Terrance_Nicolas_Bogard
JoyRose
Terrance_Nicolas_Bogard

Yeah, that's no problem.

emotion_hug I so appreciate your being active here! heart  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:08 am
ummm i have a question what is the name of the item they use when they want to make ninja sparkly shiny they use something in the eye i already forgot what it is because i just came back after 10 yrs sweatdrop  

negroblackjutsu

Goat

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:34 am
negroblackjutsu
ummm i have a question what is the name of the item they use when they want to make ninja sparkly shiny they use something in the eye i already forgot what it is because i just came back after 10 yrs sweatdrop

I have been here for over 10 years, but I'm not sure which item we're talking about here. Maybe Masquerade eye sparkle?

You can also try posting in this thread for help.  
Village Library (Resources)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff