Submit

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:17 pm
I am 8 weeks pregnant as of now and have been bedridden for days on end.

I vomit morning, afternoon, evening, all night.

I've tried sea bands, ginger ale altoids tea etc, 7 up, Gatorade, saltines on the nightstand etc. Nothing works, and I can't just "tough out" the nausea. If I don't vomit I start drooling and hyper swallowing, then foam at the mouth until I finally dry heave and spew.

It doesn't matter if I "have a little something on the tummy" before getting up in the morning, or if I only take nano sips of water. I have vomited up two bites of a cracker and one tiny sip of water in my mouth and raced to the bathroom to spit it out because ******** I am not washing that out of the sheets. Not pleasant.

I was so dehydrated last week that the hubby took me into the ER once I started hallucinating and passed out in front of the toilet, a string of vomit hanging attractively from my lips. The nurse blew my veins trying to get the IV in, finally found a small one in the back of my hand. Good Lord the saline and sugar mixture was euphoric. It was like a nice cold drink of ice water up my arm, considering I hadn't been keeping fluids down for 48 hours.

The doctor prescribed a generic of Zofran which brought me back into the land of the living until the effects of IV solution started to wear off and I ran out of the last tablet yesterday. Even with the anti-nausea medication I couldn't handle the commute to work and had to call in sick lest vomit was to decorate my desk. I will probably lose my job because of the pregnancy, and at the moment I am the sole income and insurance provider. So we will lose the insurance that would cover another trip to the ER that I will probably need.

There are rare moments like these that I am lucid enough to form complete sentences. Soon, however, I will be back in the bathroom sobbing.

I have considered termination, but then I think about the baby and I just can't do it.

Kate Middleton was hospitalized for "morning sickness" as well, so we normal pregnant ladies can take comfort in that. At least she won't need to worry about insurance.

Did anyone else experience this?

(I am a week away from being qualified for FMLA 12-week pregnancy leave - but will be fired if I can't come in to work those days.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm
congrats on being pregnant! have you tried ginger extract? Actual ginger is supposed to help in small amounts. Idk if it would help with yours though. I hope it eases for you!  

Maddy-Mazey

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100

Saber Blysmey

Moonlight Pirate

24,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:01 pm
Vitamin B6 is supposed to help ease morning sickness and if you can find them you could try Preggie Pops. I agree with madelynheston about the actual ginger over ginger ale too. You can eat candied ginger or try ginger tea. Sometimes peppermint is better. This thread talks about how to decide which to try and has a few other tips too. Good luck, I had awful morning sickness too. Not as bad as yours but I still missed a lot of work. The thing that finally worked for me was to suck on gobstoppers constantly. I bot big boxes of them and almost always had one in my mouth if I was awake.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:46 am
Thanks for the tips ladies (: However, this was more of a vent post than a cry for help. Or maybe a plea for validation from similar experiences.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The anti-nausea tab the OBGYN prescribed is for chemotherapy patients, primarily, and is the only substance I respond to. Not B6, sleep aids, etc. Otherwise I am not permitted by my own body to take a sip of ginger root soaking in boiled water, or attempt to suck out calories from gum. Chewing gum comes up as this delightfully foamy texture, and I usually projectile vomit saltine crackers as an oddly sweet soggy mess. Name a food item or beverage and I can probably describe to you exactly how it's going to come back up.

Thankfully I have been able to eat and drink again thanks to science, so I probably won't need to be hospitalized for months (: However, the effectiveness of the drug seems to be wearing off more quickly. I used to have one tab a day and be fine, but now I need to take 2-3 to avoid nausea.

My mom never had morning sickness with me, just insanely intense cravings. I thought pregnancy would be, in some ways, tough but not debilitating until labor. I believed severely sick pregnant women were exaggerating for attention, or were just "weak" and should "suck it up" and get back to work to provide and take of their families. Or hadn't tried this ____ or ____ home remedy yet. But you don't really get it until you've been there, or experienced a similar condition.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
33. ✿ - - - Parenting

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items