Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply It's A Girl Thing!
Living Alone or Surviving an Apocalypse, Meh, Same Thing.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

allmostanyone

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm
I hope others find this as fun and interesting as I do owo

Now, on many occasions, over many years my dad has told me and my sisters in many ways for many various reasons that if we don't like his way, there is the door it is free to use. He has threatened to throw us out for reasons ranging from; Meeting a guy on the net, failing college, and/or getting a less than respectable job. This post isn't about my daddy issues, I have enough of those.
I am a victim of Runaway Imagination sweatdrop So I began picturing what if worse came to worse and I was homeless, whether because he threw me out or I left. How would I survive? It wouldn't be as bad as I'm picturing, I would probably stay with my aunt, end of story. But what if I couldn't? What if I had to survive on what little I have, whatever money I have on me I would put it towards rent till I got a job. My biggest fear is running out of my savings and not being able to at least pay for a room, that's why I plan to save up for a few months rent and only rent (and basic internet), but what about the rest? The stuff I need to survive on? So this is where I came up with a sort of goofy plan xD
I do a lot of those survey and reward type things, ya know, answer some questions, download an app and here is an Amazon gift card. And with those gift cards I would buy my basic essentials and not worry about it coming out of my pocket! Now the question this post is mostly about; What would I need to live alone and is available on Amazon?

So far my "emergency" list consists of:
Windup flashlight
Mace/pepper spray
disinfectant wipes
Self defence keychain
36 pack of ramen/instant noodles
powdered milk
Water filter pitcher
a dish set (Though I can't decided if I should go plastic or glass)

I did have to take a step back from myself... Is this a zombie apocalypse or what??!! Still, in a weird way I was enjoying myself xD Almost like playing house. Though I really had to reflect on myself and separate my wants from my needs. Forget my diet and beauty needs, the junk food I think I want, and the video games and TV I was sure I couldn't live without! I even started a secondary list that consists of "luxury" items, first thing on that list was a jar of Nutella emotion_kirakira

What would you have on your list?
What should I add to mine?
Have you lived alone and if so what have you learned?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:28 am
allmostanyone

You forgot a backpack to carry it all in. whee

I'm on my phone right now so I can't really go into details, but I want to add a bunch of stuff to your list. [Ahnold voice] I'll be back! [/Arnold]  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

allmostanyone

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:15 pm
La Belle Gigi
allmostanyone

I'm on my phone right now so I can't really go into details, but I want to add a bunch of stuff to your list. [Ahnold voice] I'll be back! [/Arnold]

That's a good point! Though I do have bags of my own they may not be big enough or strong enough. The downside is the better the backpack the more expensive it will be, I'll have to find a middle ground so I can actually afford it.
I would like to hear what else you suggest ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:56 pm
allmostanyone
La Belle Gigi
allmostanyone

That's a good point! Though I do have bags of my own they may not be big enough or strong enough. The downside is the better the backpack the more expensive it will be, I'll have to find a middle ground so I can actually afford it.
I would like to hear what else you suggest ^^

Well, consider that I put a LOT of thought into this before I moved out of my parental units' house, mkay? I seriously considered taking off on a cycling trip and seeing where I ended up. It'll take me a while to make the complete minimum-necessity list, but I was factoring in an adult 6-speed tricycle. I will do my best to pare it down to backpack-size.

Oh, for backpacks and a ton of other stuff, check www.dx.com. My wishlist there keeps getting bigger and bigger!  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 am
Realistically? You are going to need health insurance, however you can afford it/fill out loads of DHS paperwork for it.

A job, or snag a partner/spouse with a job and make them lots of meals and rub their shoulders.

A car with insurance.

No car? A bike with spare parts.

Or a bus pass, suitable public transportation, good walking shoes, etc.

Food stamps.

Dollar store utensils and dinnerware. Not plastic because it breaks.
(we have some mighty fine plates for a dollar each, sometimes you can find a set)

Staple food items: rice, beans, frozen veggies, meat/tofu, seasonal produce, milk & cereal

Splurge: bread, lunch meat, cheese, prepared anything, going out to eat

When my husband was unemployed and I worked part time minimum wage, we lived on very, very basic meals. Dinner was fried rice, lunch was left overs. Breakfast, always milk and cereal or oatmeal. Bad coffee and really terrible alcohol.

We were fortunate to move back with his parents (renting the apartment space in their home) because it was damn hard to make the bills on time and worry about living expenses.

Maybe it will be easier for you. I don't know. You might get a good job right off the bat, but we didn't.

Having a first aid kit, loads of water, nonperishable foods, flash lights, camping gear, is the basic survival gear you'll need.

What's going to matter more is just surviving to the next pay check.

For the Amazon gift card the list you have should be sufficient. I would add on basic furniture and save the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:48 pm
Dang, I almost forgot about this thread, sorry!

Since my original plan was road-tripping, I wanted an adult tricycle, with at least a 6-speed gear set. They don't come with anything higher, but I could probably convert one if I needed to.

The basket would carry most of my gear, so I could afford to add stuff on. Between my own insanityinventiveness and stuff I see on Instructables, I figured I could carry a few more tools and instead of, say, a tent, use a large tarp, a sleeping bag, and stuff salvaged along the way.

Other things to consider were portable food (not just ramen, but minute rice, jerky, dried fruit/trail mixes, powdered milk, water by the gallon jug), clothing (the absolute minimum, but enough changes of underwear to last a week, more than that in socks) a good portable First Aid kit (I cannot stress this enough), a couple of knives for utility and self-defense, a recent map, a rain poncho, a fire-making kit, and a couple of those small LED flashlights you can get at the hardware store for a couple of bucks plus extra batteries.

Also, menstrual supplies. Especially one or two of those old-school thick pads to hollow out and hide your cash in.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

allmostanyone

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:17 pm
La Belle Gigi
Dang, I almost forgot about this thread, sorry!

Since my original plan was road-tripping, I wanted an adult tricycle, with at least a 6-speed gear set. They don't come with anything higher, but I could probably convert one if I needed to.

The basket would carry most of my gear, so I could afford to add stuff on. Between my own insanityinventiveness and stuff I see on Instructables, I figured I could carry a few more tools and instead of, say, a tent, use a large tarp, a sleeping bag, and stuff salvaged along the way.

Other things to consider were portable food (not just ramen, but minute rice, jerky, dried fruit/trail mixes, powdered milk, water by the gallon jug), clothing (the absolute minimum, but enough changes of underwear to last a week, more than that in socks) a good portable First Aid kit (I cannot stress this enough), a couple of knives for utility and self-defense, a recent map, a rain poncho, a fire-making kit, and a couple of those small LED flashlights you can get at the hardware store for a couple of bucks plus extra batteries.

Also, menstrual supplies. Especially one or two of those old-school thick pads to hollow out and hide your cash in.

I browsed the DX site and landed on this and I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant it xD It's totally pointless but I want one xD

Most of your recommendations are for road tripping, I only intend to survive living alone XD Some things go without saying: First aid kit, self defence items, food that won't spoil, rice is a good one to add to the list and flauterfli mention of Dollar Stores is good point, make note of their location will be useful.
I'm not an outdoorsy person but I like the idea of a road trip, I would like to have one in the future with my sister, maybe mend some of our damaged relationships.
I may think about doing an alone trip sometime, if I actually feel safe doing so. Was there a specific reason you want to go on a cycling trip? Or you simply feel like 'getting away'?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:25 pm
allmostanyone
I browsed the DX site and landed on this and I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant it xD It's totally pointless but I want one xD

Most of your recommendations are for road tripping, I only intend to survive living alone XD Some things go without saying: First aid kit, self defence items, food that won't spoil, rice is a good one to add to the list and flauterfli mention of Dollar Stores is good point, make note of their location will be useful.
I'm not an outdoorsy person but I like the idea of a road trip, I would like to have one in the future with my sister, maybe mend some of our damaged relationships.
I may think about doing an alone trip sometime, if I actually feel safe doing so. Was there a specific reason you want to go on a cycling trip? Or you simply feel like 'getting away'?

Well, I like the idea of a cycling trip because EXERCISE razz but getting away and seeing the country is also a big factor. (I did mention that was what I'd planned for.) Living in one place is a lot easier, and definitely safer. If you live alone, all you need for, say, cooking for one is a good skillet, a small pot, a good chef's knife and a couple more utensils. The thing is, you also have a place to keep your stuff, so you accumulate... more stuff. rofl

We're house-hunting and honestly... the thought of packing it all in boxes, haul it across the state, then unpack and put it all away again makes me want to throw everything away and replace it after the move.

Edit: DX is chock-full of cute gadgets like that. I make sure my credit card is FAR AWAY from me when I browse the site!  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

allmostanyone

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:28 pm
flauterfli
Realistically? You are going to need health insurance, however you can afford it/fill out loads of DHS paperwork for it.

A job, or snag a partner/spouse with a job and make them lots of meals and rub their shoulders.

A car with insurance.

No car? A bike with spare parts.

Or a bus pass, suitable public transportation, good walking shoes, etc.

Food stamps.

Dollar store utensils and dinnerware. Not plastic because it breaks.
(we have some mighty fine plates for a dollar each, sometimes you can find a set)

Staple food items: rice, beans, frozen veggies, meat/tofu, seasonal produce, milk & cereal

Splurge: bread, lunch meat, cheese, prepared anything, going out to eat

When my husband was unemployed and I worked part time minimum wage, we lived on very, very basic meals. Dinner was fried rice, lunch was left overs. Breakfast, always milk and cereal or oatmeal. Bad coffee and really terrible alcohol.

We were fortunate to move back with his parents (renting the apartment space in their home) because it was damn hard to make the bills on time and worry about living expenses.

Maybe it will be easier for you. I don't know. You might get a good job right off the bat, but we didn't.

Having a first aid kit, loads of water, nonperishable foods, flash lights, camping gear, is the basic survival gear you'll need.

What's going to matter more is just surviving to the next pay check.

For the Amazon gift card the list you have should be sufficient. I would add on basic furniture and save the rest.

Sorry you and your husband had a difficult time, and I'm glad you had a place to go back to.

The scenario I picture is if I and my dad had at it, a fight a long time in the making as far as I'm concerned. Hearing what I have to say he'd throw me out with what I have on and nothing more, and I'm too proud to go 'crawling back' and in a way I'd be glad to be cut off. I'm probably picturing the experience to be a lot more romantic, adventures, and heroic than the reality. I want to survive and succeed on my own. The odds of this happening was slim but still possible and I want to have a little to fall on if it does.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:57 pm
La Belle Gigi

Well, I like the idea of a cycling trip because EXERCISE razz but getting away and seeing the country is also a big factor. (I did mention that was what I'd planned for.) Living in one place is a lot easier, and definitely safer. If you live alone, all you need for, say, cooking for one is a good skillet, a small pot, a good chef's knife and a couple more utensils. The thing is, you also have a place to keep your stuff, so you accumulate... more stuff. rofl

We're house-hunting and honestly... the thought of packing it all in boxes, haul it across the state, then unpack and put it all away again makes me want to throw everything away and replace it after the move.

Edit: DX is chock-full of cute gadgets like that. I make sure my credit card is FAR AWAY from me when I browse the site!

I feel for you xp Though you may have a better time moving than I did. My dad made everything unnecessarily stressful and I was the one doing all the packing and moving :l I've had to do the job 3 times in my life and would like to not do it again unless it's only me. He is a honored in denial and wanted all his stuff even if it was outdated, old, or broken. From it I think I learned to live light so if I have to do it out of necessity it shouldn't be too hard xD

I look up apartments every now and then to get an idea of the market, how much to save for, and to just make moving away seem more real.

I'm the same with Amazon XDDDD I'm glad I don't have a credit card at the moment, I've spent a good many hours going through lists of random items.  

allmostanyone

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100

Axendra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:34 pm
You would make bulk meals smile
It does work out cheaper best of all you don't have to cook every night >< Make something good though otherwise a couple of days of it will leave you not looking forward to meal time lol xD

Being alone sucks in ways I never noticed before. Well for start holidays the price is for two at places neutral unless you go for back packers style accommodation, now just me so no other sad The money saved in general living expenses when the other wasn't pulling their weight O_O I guess I buried my head at the cost. I don't know what I will do at holiday time this year with no ties now I guess something good idk sucks the accommodation parts not cheaper on your own. Yes on you own has positives smile just sucks no special someone to curl up to at night, celebrate and to be made to feel special. The upside I don't feel like I work for nothing now smile

crying Rant off sweatdrop sweatdrop I'm good stressed smile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:48 pm
Axendra
You would make bulk meals smile
It does work out cheaper best of all you don't have to cook every night >< Make something good though otherwise a couple of days of it will leave you not looking forward to meal time lol xD

Being alone sucks in ways I never noticed before. Well for start holidays the price is for two at places neutral unless you go for back packers style accommodation, now just me so no other sad The money saved in general living expenses when the other wasn't pulling their weight O_O I guess I buried my head at the cost. I don't know what I will do at holiday time this year with no ties now I guess something good idk sucks the accommodation parts not cheaper on your own Rant off sweatdrop sweatdrop

Again, it's probably because I picture it all to be far more romantic than reality. Around the holidays I picture just sitting at a dinner, possibly late into the night and just enjoying my "alone time" but the reality is that it will probably get old fast xP Whatever money I save because I'm only spending on myself I'll have to put towards bills and rent, on one to split them with T.T  

allmostanyone

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100

Axendra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:13 pm
You would be like me sorta sad I work, sleep, watch anime, and go for walks plus watch tv but not much on mostly. Well life's pretty mundane at times. Bills house work laundry etc. sad part is being on my own didn't change all that much just less laundry and washing up I more or less took care of everything for the other. Now I just don't bleed money like I did when the significant other was in my life which means I'm not constantly about to feel like I'm about to crack.
I hate my complex personal life, I'm connected to the other still legally it makes it hard to continue moving forward when the legally binding ties aren't yet served sad l can't wait to be free of this.

>< burning_eyes anyways smile If you can get a job cover rent and bills and the initial expense of buying essentials bed, furniture in general, cookware etc. you will be good to go forward in this at times messy lives we lead smile  
It's A Girl Thing!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games