Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Dealers Rooms - What do you look For

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:59 pm
One of the things that many people at conventions Love to do is visit the Dealers Room. Since it's one of my top favorite things to do I'm curious as to what you look for when you visit a Dealers Room.

For me more than half of my convention budget is just for the Dealers Room. Usually I look for DVD's, Figures, and posters from the Anime series that I like. Sometimes I just walk into the room and see what new thing gets my attention.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:26 pm
It varies a bit con-to-con. In general, I look for things that I can't really get elsewhere. Prices are often more expensive, but sometimes you can get some good deals, especially from dealers who are looking to unload product.

I generally spend more time in the artist's alley than dealers hall, but have been pretty stoked on a couple of figures that I've found in the past.  

xinitia

Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:38 am
xinitia
It varies a bit con-to-con. In general, I look for things that I can't really get elsewhere. Prices are often more expensive, but sometimes you can get some good deals, especially from dealers who are looking to unload product.

I generally spend more time in the artist's alley than dealers hall, but have been pretty stoked on a couple of figures that I've found in the past.

Xinitia, I have been a collector of various items since the 1980's, showing my age a bit. smile Back in the day I went to and worked at Star Trek / Science Fiction conventions. I knew many of the dealers personally and what they go through to get the items that they sell. The high prices of items then and now depend on rarity, supply & demand, interest, or if it's something new on the market. I found the same thing going to Rock and mineral shows.

These days I still talk to dealers to find out why the prices are so high. Some of the same reasons listed above still ring true for anime / cosplay conventions. Unfortunately their are more and more dealers that just jack up the prices out of greed and that is very wrong.

I've gotten good at haggling dealers to bring their price down. The best time to haggle a dealer is usually on the second day of the con. The variety of items is still good and if a dealer isn't selling a lot of items they might be willing to bring the price down. Sometimes you can get a dealer to lower the overall price if you buy a second similar item. I got one volume of the Sailor Moon Super S series free that way because I was willing to buy a couple other Sailor Moon items. Also I shop around the dealers room. If I see the same item that is priced lower at one dealer than another then I buy the cheaper item.

As for Artists alleys I tend to spend a lot of time talking to them about their art instead of the prices which is more enjoyable. I've gotten to know some of the artists personally that way which is an extra thrill.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:06 am
When I go to the dealers room I always look for certain things. One of them is video games. I always look for any kind of dealer who is selling them. Another I look for is figures and plushies. Figures are a big part of my collection. I also look for doujins should they have them there. I love reading them. Though I always browse around and see what the dealers room has to offer.  

Jani Seguchi1

Married Vampire

11,550 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:23 am
Jani Seguchi1
When I go to the dealers room I always look for certain things. One of them is video games. I always look for any kind of dealer who is selling them. Another I look for is figures and plushies. Figures are a big part of my collection. I also look for doujins should they have them there. I love reading them. Though I always browse around and see what the dealers room has to offer.

Figures and plushies.... fans true weaknesses...

A lot of what I look for in the dealer's halls depends on what con I'm at. SacCon has a lot more in the way of action figures and American nerdy paraphernalia (And more Godzilla stuff), whereas Fanime and Kraken Con have more of the Anime side of things. Though at the last SacAnime I picked up a pretty awesome Lion Dance print! ^w^  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:22 pm
xinitia
Jani Seguchi1

Figures and plushies.... fans true weaknesses...

A lot of what I look for in the dealer's halls depends on what con I'm at. SacCon has a lot more in the way of action figures and American nerdy paraphernalia (And more Godzilla stuff), whereas Fanime and Kraken Con have more of the Anime side of things. Though at the last SacAnime I picked up a pretty awesome Lion Dance print! ^w^

Ain't that the truth. I find myself always having to buy a figure at every convention I go to. Especially seeing I want to improve my colle3ction I have of figures. I always find myself looking for certain ones.  

Jani Seguchi1

Married Vampire

11,550 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:36 pm
I love the little chibi figures! I have so many of the little Fairy Tail ones! They're so cute!! ! (I NEED THE NEW SET!!!) I'm also always on the lookout for Iron Fist figures! He's not very popular, so he's kinda hard to find, so I'm always excited when I see one.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:59 pm
xinitia
I love the little chibi figures! I have so many of the little Fairy Tail ones! They're so cute!! ! (I NEED THE NEW SET!!!) I'm also always on the lookout for Iron Fist figures! He's not very popular, so he's kinda hard to find, so I'm always excited when I see one.

Xinitia, you are definitely a big Fairy Tail fan. You have made me really curious about the series due to that. I bought a Fairy Tail series movie a few months ago as you probably remember. People think I'm crazy at a con in the dealers room because I would go past a dealer with a lot of Chibi figures and as I walk by I would point to each one and say Chibi, Chibi, Chibi. It's a lot of fun, try it sometime. It's funny to see the reactions of the dealers when I do that. They ask if I need help but instead I keep saying Chibi, Chibi, Chibi. LOL  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Purrpurrmeow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:43 pm
xinitia

This is exactly me, except for the artist's alley.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:26 pm
It depends on what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm trying to finish collecting the Sailor Moon manga ever so slowly(another fiveish volumes or so to go, and then the two volumes of side stories). After that, I might either start on Attack on Titan or try and get caught up on Oh My Goddess!.

Other than that? Figures or gachapon figurines, particularly if it's something tokusatsu-related. Sometimes I'll pick up a DVD if I find something that interests me and it's relatively inexpensive.  

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:44 pm
OnsenMark
It depends on what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm trying to finish collecting the Sailor Moon manga ever so slowly(another fiveish volumes or so to go, and then the two volumes of side stories). After that, I might either start on Attack on Titan or try and get caught up on Oh My Goddess!.

Other than that? Figures or gachapon figurines, particularly if it's something tokusatsu-related. Sometimes I'll pick up a DVD if I find something that interests me and it's relatively inexpensive.

It's nice to meet another Sailor Moon fan. I own all of the Manga, the side stories, and the 2 Sailor V books!! Also I have one of the original Sailor Moon Art Books. It cost me a pretty penny to get it. smile Make sure to check out the Sailor Moon official thread in the "Anime, Manga, Videogame Discussion" Sub Forum if you haven't yet. I'm also a fan of the Oh My Goddess series as well. I own most of the Anime series and some of the Manga books.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:04 pm
xinitia

You also can sometimes find really unique items too. I'm kind of an artist alley person for that reason.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers