Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:21 pm
What's this Google Fiber? I keep hearing the words pandemic and apocalypse. >3>; What's going on?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:35 pm
Saikii
What's this Google Fiber? I keep hearing the words pandemic and apocalypse. >3>; What's going on?

Google Fiber is obviously one of Google's projects. In particular, they've been choosing select cities to begin setting up their own fiber-optic connections in order to offer an alternative internet option to people.

The concepts of pandemic and apocalypse probably only come up insofar as the end result of Google doing this is potentially biblical because they're actually offering reasonable pricing that could (hopefully) kill Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and AT&T as potential internet service providers. Basically, it's like watching an epic war between heaven and hell happening here on earth. Well, maybe Google isn't exactly angelic, but compared to the greedy oligopolies that have plagued us thus far they may as well be.

(And most of them have been dragging their asses in terms of upgrading infrastructure until Google moves into an area and they feel a sudden need to step up their game but, ultimately, still can't compete with what Google's offering.)  

Nadian
Crew

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Makes sense. I'm not too familiar with fiber optics, but I'm for cheaper internet. If Google succeeds, this gives them a monopoly that will have to be broken up after a while.  
"COS" ^Can O Spam^

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games