Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
how do you avoid coming off as ignorant?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:49 pm
ok now I am asking this simply because I have run into this problem a dozen times.
lets just use this one event I have done a million times as an example.
I love to study religion culture and history. now religion has culture and history both. going through that religion fairly and unbiased makes a LOT of people angry. like when you discuss the crusades. how do you speak the truth and avoid people calling you a hate mongering bigot?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:49 pm
Well... I suppose that would depend entirely what you're saying about the crusades.

If you're trying to justify them or are speaking about them in a way that may construed as justifying them, then I can understand why people may get upset.

With things like that, it is difficult to take an unbiased stance on them, because it is something that both Christians and non-Christians alike can agree was, well, not a good thing.

I guess I can't really give much advice on the matter unless I knew what was being said.

As for in general, it's very difficult to talk about religion from an unbiased standpoint. You are always going to get someone that will get upset, because religion is something that is very important to a lot of people. Again, though, it's hard for me to give any real advice on how to talk about it without actually knowing the types of things that are being said.  

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:32 am
Some people are sensitive to start with and harder to approach.

First of all, pray that God works through you and let the words that come out is from God.
Maybe try to be more subtle by:
- talking through experiences,
- let them talk first and listen attentively,
- try to put forward some point of view but don't make them feel cornered.
Let Holy Spirit guide you and touch their heart.

My prayer be with you!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:23 am
Any topic regarding religion has the potential to cause anger. What exactly are you saying that is getting them angry?  

King Shining Heaven

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items