Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
"Is 'name it claim it' teaching biblical?"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:28 am
Answer: The “name it and claim it” or “prosperity gospel” is not biblical and is in many ways antithetical to the true gospel message and the clear teaching of Scripture. While there are many different versions of the name it and claim it philosophy preached today, they all have similar characteristics. At its best, this teaching comes from the misinterpretation and misunderstanding of some Scriptures, and, at its worst, it is a completely heretical teaching that has the characteristics of cultic doctrine.

The roots of the Word of Faith movement and the name it and claim it message have more in common with new age metaphysics than with biblical Christianity. However, instead of us creating our reality with our thoughts, as new age proponents advise, name it and claim it teachers tell us that we can use the “power of faith” to create our own reality or get what we want. In essence, faith is redefined from “a trust in a holy and sovereign God despite our circumstances” to “a way of controlling God to give us what we want.” Faith becomes a force whereby we can get what we want rather than an abiding trust in God even during times of trials and suffering.

There are many areas where name it and claim it departs from biblical Christianity. The teaching really exalts man and his “faith” above God. In fact, many of the more extreme Word of Faith teachers teach that man was created on terms of equality with God and that man is the same class of being that He is Himself. This dangerous and heretical teaching denies the very basic tenets of biblical Christianity, which is why the extreme proponents of the name it and claim it teaching must be considered to be cultic and not truly Christian.

Both the metaphysical cults and the name it and claim it teaching distort the truth and embrace the false teaching that our thoughts control reality. Whether it is the power of positive thinking or the prosperity gospel, the premise is the same—what you think or believe will happen is ultimately what controls what will happen. If you think negative thoughts or are lacking in faith, you will suffer or not get what you want. But on the other hand if you think positive thoughts or just have “enough faith,” then you can have health, wealth, and happiness now. This false teaching appeals to one of man’s most basic instincts, which is one reason why it is hugely popular.

While the prosperity gospel and the idea of controlling one’s future with his thoughts or faith is appealing to sinful man, it is insulting to a sovereign God who has revealed Himself in Scripture. Instead of recognizing the absolute sovereign power of God as revealed in the Bible, the name it and claim it adherents embrace a false god who cannot operate apart from their faith. They present a false view of God by teaching that He wants to bless you with health, wealth, and happiness but cannot do so unless YOU have enough faith. Thereby God is no longer in control but man is. Of course, this is completely antithetical to what Scripture teaches. God does not depend upon man’s “faith” to act. Throughout Scripture we see God blessing whom He chooses to bless and healing whom He chooses to heal.

Another problem with the name it and claim it teaching is that it fails to recognize that Jesus Himself is the ultimate treasure worth sacrificing everything for (Matthew 13:44) and instead sees Jesus as little more than a way of getting what we want right now. Jesus’ message is that a Christian is called to “deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?” (Matthew 16:24–26). Contrast that to the message of the prosperity gospel. Rather than being a message of self-denial, the prosperity gospel is one of self-satisfaction. Its goal is not becoming more Christlike through sacrifice but having what we want here and now, clearly contradicting the words of our Savior.

The Bible teaches that “all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” (2 Timothy 3:12), but the name and claim it message is that any suffering we undergo is simply the result of a lack of faith. The prosperity gospel is completely focused on us getting the things the world has to offer, but 1 John 2:15 tells us we should not “love the world or the things in the world” and, in fact, those with a fondness for the things of the world become enemies of God (James 4:4). The message of the prosperity gospel simply cannot be any more opposite of what the Bible really teaches.

In his book Your Best Life Now, prosperity teacher Joel Osteen says that the key to a more rewarding life, a better home, a stronger marriage, and a better job is found in a “simple yet profound process to change the way you think about your life and help you accomplish what is truly important.” How different that is from the biblical truth that this life now is nothing compared to the life to come. The message of the prosperity gospel is focused around the “treasures” or good things we want and can have now, while Jesus said, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:19–21).

Jesus did not come to give us health, wealth and happiness now. He came to save us from our sins so that we can have an eternity of bliss with Him. Following Christ is not a ticket to all the material things men desire in this life but a ticket to eternal life. Our desire should not be to have our best life now but to have the attitude of the apostle Paul, who had learned to be content “in whatever state I am” (Philippians 4:11).

Read more: Is “name it claim it” teaching biblical?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:23 pm
Hmm...

I'm not entirely sure what to think about that.

On the one hand, I can see what they mean. On the other, I do also think that the way we think and the things we speak over ourselves can have an affect on us. The Bible does say that there is power in words.

If a person is constantly in the mindset of 'I'm nothing, my life is meaningless, I'll never succeed, I'll never go anywhere or do anything worthwhile', etc., chances are, they won't. You could give that person a million dollars, and chances are, they would burn through the money and then go right back to living the way they were. Yes, God is still in control, but if we are so constantly stuck in our negative thoughts, how can we even accept his blessings when they come our way?

That doesn't mean if you ask God for a mansion and a sports car that you're going to get it. No amount of positive thinking is going to get you what you want if it's not what God has for you. I can agree with them on that.

I do believe, though, that God does intend health and good things for us even on Earth. If we are sick and worn down all the time, how are we to spread the gospel? Also in Psalms 37:4, it says that if we delight in the Lord, then he will grant us the desires of our heart.

Of course, that being said, that doesn't mean we can have whatever we want, whenever we want. If we're truly taking delight in the Lord, then the desires of our heart will line up with the word of God and the plan he has for our individual lives. We won't want for the things of the world, we'll want for God's best, whatever that may be.  

Jewelies

Friendly Survivor

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:23 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but one thing that sticks out in the Word of God is to claim or covet after Spiritual Gifts and Love. Self denial and being dead to sin is there too.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:33 am
Jewelies
Hmm...

I'm not entirely sure what to think about that.

On the one hand, I can see what they mean. On the other, I do also think that the way we think and the things we speak over ourselves can have an affect on us. The Bible does say that there is power in words.

If a person is constantly in the mindset of 'I'm nothing, my life is meaningless, I'll never succeed, I'll never go anywhere or do anything worthwhile', etc., chances are, they won't. You could give that person a million dollars, and chances are, they would burn through the money and then go right back to living the way they were. Yes, God is still in control, but if we are so constantly stuck in our negative thoughts, how can we even accept his blessings when they come our way?

That doesn't mean if you ask God for a mansion and a sports car that you're going to get it. No amount of positive thinking is going to get you what you want if it's not what God has for you. I can agree with them on that.

I do believe, though, that God does intend health and good things for us even on Earth. If we are sick and worn down all the time, how are we to spread the gospel? Also in Psalms 37:4, it says that if we delight in the Lord, then he will grant us the desires of our heart.

Of course, that being said, that doesn't mean we can have whatever we want, whenever we want. If we're truly taking delight in the Lord, then the desires of our heart will line up with the word of God and the plan he has for our individual lives. We won't want for the things of the world, we'll want for God's best, whatever that may be.

Though I agree with you generally, I want to say that health, and energy are not really batteries driving the spread of the gospel. Look at Paul. He didn't do it by his own power. His health was not the best, and according to himself he was not a man of great ability when it came to words.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

So we are to delight in weakness, and in health. When we are rich, and when we are poor. Wen we are hungry, and when we are fed. In peace, and during persecution. Because the greatest thing we could every receive, we have received.

1 Corinthians 2:1-5
And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. 2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power.

The things of God maybe that I suffer for a while. It maybe that God is glorified in how I deal with adversities (Job). It could be that God wants me to endure trials in life, because it is worked into His plans...

Words can affect us. Or you, and I wouldn't be here. I agree. Where we are now though, we should rejoice. Rejoice always (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.), and not let words affect us negatively like when we were without hope in the world, or the lack of creature comforts ruin our day. We should be content, regardless of what situation we are in. We shouldn't aim to get as much as possible from the world, or build treasures.

Philippians 4:11-12
Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:36 am
Tsur
Correct me if I'm wrong but one thing that sticks out in the Word of God is to claim or covet after Spiritual Gifts and Love. Self denial and being dead to sin is there too.

True. 3nodding Greatest of those is love.

1 Corinthians 13

13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.  
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games