Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Beta Lake

Back to Guilds

Guild for Beta Aquarium, a Breedable/Changing Pet fish shop! 

Tags: fish, mermaids, sea creatures, betas, clownfish 

Reply The Beta Lake
[Guest Colorist Applications]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BetaHQ
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:51 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ever wanted to try your hand at coloring/editing/drawing for Beta Aquarium? Here's your chance to show us what you've got!

While Beta Aquarium may not be actively hiring right now, we are interested in gathering resources for future guest artists. Being a guest artist is a great way to getting a foot in the door and possibly being asked back for another guest event or even being hired on with the shop!

Old Guest Colorist Application Thread

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm

General Rules:
- All rules from the main shop apply here.
- Please DO NOT steal the provided lineart.
- Please DO NOT try to pass off someone else's work as your own.
- Please DO NOT copy or eyeball someone else's artwork as a basis for your lineart examples.
- Please DO save your examples as either a .JPG or .PNG, and keep your original working file if possible.
- Please DO update your applications periodically! We want to see your best work, and love seeing improvement!
- Please DO NOT complain if you have not heard from us after submitting your application. This is a more of a resource than a hiring thread.
- All coloring/editing examples on Beta Aquarium lineart will become property of the shop; however, guest artist compensation will be provided if sold.
- All lineart/staff breeding examples are yours and yours alone. Lineart becomes property of the shop for purposes of evolving/breeding only if it is officially used in the shop; guest artist compensation will be provided if sold.
- If you are applying to multiple application levels, you only need to include the "about you" info once.
- If you are applying for the higher application levels, you also need to apply for the lower ones, as every skill level is an essential foundation to the next.

If Chosen
- Guest artists are paid 50% of the profits of their guest event. Part time and full time staff are paid more, but that's not relevant unless you're hired.
- You may or may not receive a certed version of one of your examples; if used, they will probably be padding for your event.
- You will be given guidelines and templates for your event ASAP by Staff, so you can start on your prize queue. Staff will set up your event thread, coordinate with you, and cert prizes for you.
- Please DO have a program that can open and save .PSD files. Photoshop is preferred, but there are many other programs that can accomplish the same things. (See FAQ)
- Please DO have an email address that you can make available to Staff, so files can be sent. A Discord account is also recommended, for quick responses to any questions or coordinating; otherwise prepare for a lot of PMs.
- Please DO commit to whatever event or task we set for you; if you find you've bitten off more than you can chew, it's better to inform Staff so arrangements can be made than to abandon your work without a word.
- Please DO communicate with Staff, whether you're a guest artist or new hire. We're here to help and to keep things organized!

BetaHQ
Captain

BetaHQ
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:54 pm

The Sample Lineart:

Level 1: Coloring

The most basic skill required at Beta Aquarium! Proper applications of color and brushes are vital, so show us what you got!

Rules & How To
- Please flat color the fish.
- Please provide at least 3 examples using the most basic brushes available. Draw your own designs, make your own textures!
- Please provide at least 3 examples using brushes of your choice. Using brushes properly isn't as easy as it seems!

[u][b]About YOU![/b][/u]
[b]Username[/b]: [your gaia username]
[b]Why do you want to color for us?[/b]: [we're curious! be honest!]

[b]Do you currently work for any B/C shops?[/b] [please include link(s) and responsibilities!]
[b]Have you worked for any B/C shops in the past?[/b] [please include links(s) and responsibilities!]
[b]Can we see examples of your past/present work?[/b] [max 3 per shop, if applicable]

[b]Anything else important we should know?[/b] [work schedules, upcoming commitments, whatever!]

[u][b]Level 1 Application: I WANT TO COLOR FOR YOU![/b][/u]
[b]Basic Coloring Examples[/b]: [min of 3, but not hundreds]
[b]Brush Coloring Examples[/b]: [min of 3, but not hundreds]

Level 2: Editing

Next step up? Editing! If you're able to edit well, that makes you a valuable resource (people love edits) as a custom & premade item colorist and possibly an SE editor. Show us your bling!

Rules & How To

- You may do your edits on the blank fish lineart, a fish you flat colored, OR one of the evolved regular betas from the front page (NOT the clownfish and NOT any other beta).
- Please shade your edits; you may either make a personal template or use pure color, both work fine.
- Please provide at least 3 edited examples. They can be single items or item sets, it's up to you.

[u][b]Level 2 Application: I WANT TO EDIT FOR YOU![/b][/u]
[b]Edited Examples[/b]: [min of 3, but not hundreds]

Level 3: Linearting

Aiming for the big leagues! Lineartist have big responsibilities (creating new SEs, doing Staff breedings, and making sure new files are sent to other staff (< This right here is supper effing important). You can color, you can edit, now show us if you can draw!

Rules & How To - SE Lineart
- Please provide at least 1 sketch to show your skill. While an original merperson would be the most relevant, it can be avatar art, fan art, whatever as long as it is YOUR art.
- Can you ink? If yes, please provide us with at least 1 example! [optional] *
- Can you shade/template? If yes, please provide us with at least 1 example! Providing both a grayscale and color version may increase your chances, as will providing a .psd of your template for staff to poke at. [optional] *

Rules & How To - Staff Breeding [optional]
- Please use the Shop Mule and any current Staff member for a mock breeding.
- Please provide at least 2-3 mock Staff babies as your examples.
- Please make sure your mock Staff babies are chibi or a similar art style.
- Please either ink or clean your sketch for your mock Staff babies.
- Please shade your mock Staff babies, as Staff breedings are NOT templated.

* Note: Being unable or uncomfortable with inking or templating will not hurt your chances; you simply must be willing to cooperate and share credit/profit with a Staff lineartist who would be assisting you. Also we encourage trying and practice whenever possible to improve your skills.

[b][u]Level 3 Application: I WANT TO DRAW FOR YOU![/u][/b]
[b]Sketch Sample[/b]: [show us your sketching!]

(optional!)
[b]Can you INK?[/b] [yes I got this/no I'll need inking assistance/dunno I want to try anyway!]
[b]Inking Sample[/b]: [show us your inking!]

(optional!)
[b]Can you SHADE/TEMPLATE?[/b] [yes I got this/no I'll need templating assistance/dunno I want to try anyway!]
[b]Shading/Templating Sample[/b]: [show us your templating!]

(optional!)
[b]Are you interested in STAFF BREEDINGS?[/b] [yes bring it/no just reg se stuff/dunno I want to try anyway!]
[b]Mock Staff Breeding[/b]: [show us your chibi!]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If you're not hiring right now, why bother with an application thread?
A:
Resources for future guest events, which hopefully become a frequent thing. And to keep any in-shop/PM offers, well meaning as they are, at bay. If you're really that interested, please apply here and show us what you can do!

Q: I submitted an app! Why haven't I heard from anyone?
A:
It could be that your current skill level is lower than Staff prefers right now, but please don't get discouraged! Keep updating your app periodically with new stuff, because it will just keep getting better! OR it could be that no guest events are planned yet or no one has time to run one right now.

Q: Only 50% payment? Really?
A:
Thems the breaks. But we've hired on just about everyone who's held a guest artist position, so there's that!

Q: Boo, Photoshop's expensive! Why THAT program?
A:
It's what most of Staff uses, and guarantees the absolute best chance of compatibility with our files and the brushes most of us use. Older versions of Photoshop may be easier to get ahold of and/or more affordable. However, there are plenty of less expensive or free programs that can handle .PSDs if you wish to use those instead!

Examples include, but aren't limited to:
GIMP
ArtRage
FireAlpaca
PaintTool Sai
Open Canvas
Paintshop Pro

Whatever program you choose to use, it MUST be able to import/open .PSD, allow layers, and allow layer blend modes (particularly "overlay"). Exporting/saving as .PSD is helpful, but not required; .PNGs and .JPG/.JPEGs are sufficient to pass along for certing or for certs themselves.

Q: Ok, so I have a program that will work. Do I have to have an art tablet too?
A:
Absolutely not. While most of Staff do have and use a tablet, it's merely a tool and essentially a glorified mouse. If you can rock color and art without one, carry on!

Q: Photobucket booted us. Now what?
A:
We highly recommend Cloudinary as a replacement. But as long as you have somewhere you can host/direct link certs and uncerts, whether it's Nickpic, Imgur, or your own private web domain, you're good. It's not required as a guest artist (Staff running the event will help you out), but if you're hired on as shop staff you'll eventually be responsible for hosting your own beta work.

Q: If I'm hired as a guest artist, what can I expect?
A:
As a guest colorist, your event will likely be a raffle and you will be sent the beta and clownfish fish templates, and possibly common SE fish (angelics, nitemares, lunars & solars). If the event goes very well, you may also be sent some evolve files. If you've applied and been approved for edits, go for them! Raffles CAN get out of hand when it comes to the prize pool, so be prepared to color A LOT OF FISH.

As a guest lineartist, your event will likely be an auction. Staff will coordinate with you over prize details, auction details, and any art assistance needed. Prize lineart, template, and any egg/fish files are expected to be finished or 90% finished prior to the start of the event. Choose-your-own/custom auctions are unavailable for first time guest lineartists.

Q: If I'm hired as shop staff, what can I expect?
A:
So, you've been asked to guest color for several small events or your first even went REALLY well. The next step is a trial run of breedings, one of the more work intensive duties in the shop. You will color, Staff will cert, and if you pass muster you may be promoted to part time! You will gain a pay raise, more templates, and a limit of 10 slots per month. Keep up the good work for at least a year, and you may be promoted to full time!

If you want to give item edits a try, whether you've applied/been approved for them or not, you may as long as you're upfront about your skill level with customers. You will not be listed on the shop front for custom item edits unless you are comfortable with it. Practice makes perfect!

However, if you have not applied and been approved as a lineartist, as a guest or as staff, you may not do SE lineart. Even if you are approved, SE lineart will be the least of your duties as Staff.

Q: I have a question that's not listed here! What do?
A:
Ask away, either here, in the shop thread, or by PMing BetaHQ or ArynLight! We may add it to this FAQ!

BetaHQ
Captain

BetaHQ
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 am

Upcoming Guest Event Details

NONE!

---

Previous Guest Events

Fall/Winter Guest Event!
Starts: TBD, October 2015
Ends: TBD, November/December 2015
Staff in Charge: ArynLight

Guest Event: Flatsales & Raffle
Looking For: ideally 3-5 Guest Colorists
Expected Workload: 5-10 regular beta per flatsale/per colorist for raffle
Payment: Standard Guest Colorist Fee (50%) per fish

Application Details:
- About You and Level 1 App
- Speedy coloring appreciated, but not required
- Please PM ArynLight with any questions related to this event
- If you've already done a guest event, you do not need to reapply; we will probably be checking if you're available.

2015 Geek Event
Starts: March 14, 2015
Ends: April 5-ish
Staff in Charge: ArynLight

Guest Event: Paid Raffle
Looking For: ideally 3-5 Guest Colorists
Expected Workload: minimum 12 Geeks per Colorist (5 female fish, 5 male fish, 1 female evolve, 1 male evolve)
Payment: Standard Guest Colorist Fee (50%)* per fish

*Depending on how crazy the raffle gets, this may go up.

Application Details:
- About You and Level 1 App
- Only 3 examples are required for this event, due to the nature of the event and minimum workload **
- Speedy coloring appreciated, but not required
- Please PM ArynLight with any questions related to this event

** You can update your app with the remaining examples/further examples to make it complete after the crazy is over.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:22 pm
About YOU!
Username: Lady Aria Starstone
Why do you want to color for us?: Because I love Beta. Have done for years.

Do you currently work for any B/C shops? Ummm... don't think so at this time.
Have you worked for any B/C shops in the past? Yes
Colorist
Colorist/Certist/Owner
Colorist
Colorist
Colorist (Did Shading and Editing for several of the lines)
Can we see examples of your past/present work? [max 3 per shop, if applicable]
Pockettu: 1, 2, 3
Tribal Dragon Dewis:
1(Edited), 2, 3
All My Kitties:
1 (Edited), 2, 3
Whimsicals:
1, 2, 3
These are the ones I can find for now.

Anything else important we should know?
I work Social Services, so I get tired and depressed... Which can sometimes make my inspiration die. That said, I come back kicking. I also will have a commitment in August (If you at all have an interest in me up to then!) as a Bridesmaid in a wedding, in Los Angeles.

Level 1 Application: I WANT TO COLOR FOR YOU!
Basic Coloring Examples: Fish 1, Fish 2 (Used 1 brush, the rest is hand done.
Brush Coloring Examples: Fish 3

I may do more samples later.  

Aria Starstone

Sexy Goat

32,115 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Enemy of the Goat 25

Laroawan

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:16 pm
About YOU!
Username: Laroawan
Why do you want to color for us?: First, because I love the shop and the community. Second, because I'm looking for a creative outlet.

Do you currently work for any B/C shops? No
Have you worked for any B/C shops in the past? I ran a shop called Triskele Ferrets way back when and did coloring as well. I also was working on starting a Kodama shop but my partner backed out for rl reasons.
Having trouble finding a link to the shop as it was in 2004.
Can we see examples of your past/present work?

Preinked Kodama lineart X
Triskele Ferrets lineart X, X X
Soquili Plushies X, X, X, X
Realistic Beta Coloring for store that closed down X, X, X

Anything else important we should know? Um... I'm getting married this summer yay.

Basic Coloring Examples: Cherry Tree, Rusty
Brush Coloring Examples: Celtic Knot, Moon Light, River

I'll add more as I make them  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:31 am
About YOU!
Username: Kivras
Why do you want to color for us?: I loooove Beta! I wanna make like 97583469 fish and bring a smile to people's faces like the current colorists bring to mine!

Do you currently work for any B/C shops? I do not. Not for lack of trying, mind you.
Have you worked for any B/C shops in the past? Fluffy Cats; Colorist and Thread Manager
Can we see examples of your past/present work?
All my stuff is SUPER OLD so I'll just link some general new-er art if that's okay.
Delta
Dai
Izzix
Rory

Anything else important we should know? I currently have a very physically demanding part-time job Weds-Sat, I raid on WoW on Fri/Sat so those days I may not be too interested in doing colorist stuff, but will ALWAYS make an attempt.

Basic Coloring Examples: Incoming
Brush Coloring Examples: Incoming

Level 2 Application: I WANT TO EDIT FOR YOU!
Edited Examples: Incoming  

viatorai

Crystal Traveler

13,425 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

ChexaRain

Unbeatable Streaker

26,000 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:10 pm
About YOU!
Username: ChezaRain
Why do you want to color for us?: Because I love the feesh. Plain and simple.

Do you currently work for any B/C shops? N/A; At this point they're dead. XD
Have you worked for any B/C shops in the past? Too many to count, oy.
Can we see examples of your past/present work? TBA

Anything else important we should know? Awaiting an interview on the 12th, that aside I have no future occurrences that would prevent me from drawing up sketches at any time. If I get the job I'm applying for, I will be available weekends and most days for more than a few hours. razz

Level 3 Application: I WANT TO DRAW FOR YOU!
Sketch Sample: [1][2][3][4]
[[ These were not SCANNED, but they can be easily for work. I just took quick pictures to upload. ]]

(optional!)
Can you INK? Nope. :T
Inking Sample: N/A

(optional!)
Can you SHADE/TEMPLATE? Nope. :T
Shading/Templating Sample: N/A

(optional!)
Are you interested in STAFF BREEDINGS? Sure, I'll try. 8D
Mock Staff Breeding: TBA  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 am
Hi everyone! emotion_bigheart

About YOU!
Username: Bloody Aphrodite
Why do you want to color for us?: I'm a big fan of the shop and how varied the fish can be! I'd love to contribute some pretties to the pool of other awesome beta. biggrin

Do you currently work for any B/C shops? No
Have you worked for any B/C shops in the past? No
Can we see examples of your past/present work? n/a

Anything else important we should know? I'm currently on maternity leave until march 28th. When I go back to work I'll be doing 7 days on 7 days off nightshift. So I'll be available every other week consistently forever and ever (Unless a vacation happens or whatever.). smile I have no real commitments set in stone unless an appointment for my son or something comes up! I like to stay in my house most of the time regardless.. xD

Basic Coloring Examples: X, x, X

Brush Coloring Examples: x, X, x, X, x

x, X,x,X,x,X,x,X <- Updated examples! biggrin

(Added a shading template to the next group.)

X, x, X, x

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 2 Application: I WANT TO EDIT FOR YOU!
Edited Examples: Tentacle fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 3 Application: I WANT TO DRAW FOR YOU!
Sketch Sample: Pretty rough sketch of the Marvel character 'Luna Snow' as a beta biggrin X

(optional!)
Can you INK? yes I got this?
Inking Sample: StarBetas! (I have the image templated out in Photoshop, also!)

(optional!)
Can you SHADE/TEMPLATE? yes I got this
Shading/Templating Sample: See inking sample above^
[One of my brush colored fishies from above!] X

(optional!)
Are you interested in STAFF BREEDINGS? [No just reg se stuff.. For now!]
Mock Staff Breeding: [show us your chibi!] I'm bad at chibi stuff.. crying  

Bloody Aphrodite

Ruthless Streaker

9,075 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Streaker 200