Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Love- how do you explain it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am 4 Angry birds

Brainy Traveler

11,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:13 am
So I was reading some friends comments on FB and this is what I was seeing...

Q:Why do people pretend to know why they love someone? As if its something that words can explain or the mind comprehend.

Friend 2: Don't be silly, sometimes that is an answer that a person does know. I agree, there is always more to it. Kinda hard to eliminate the the possibility of the knowledge for the root of your own feelings

Friend 1 biggrin on't be such silly, -----. You can explain why you like a person. Why you respect them.Why you want to be around them. Why you think they are so great and yes those things do have to do with love. But it is impossible to explain the actual love its self. Think about someone you love. You might say you love them because they are smart, funny or smell like jolly ranchers. But this is not why you love them This is why you like them. Love comes from the heart and we rarely have a choice in the matter. It has to do with a dance with two compatible energies.

Friend 2: Silly ----. You go to an art gallery and see half a picture. I take that closer look and see a bit more

Friend 1:Well you don't have to accuse me of lacking depth and focus. Lol I'm actually not denying the concept of love. I wholly accept it to the best of my ability. I just understand that some things are just beyond spoken language.

Friend 1:True, sometimes the language is primarily sexual. Jk.

Friend 3:It's hard to explain love.

Friend 1: --- gets it.

Friend 3:There's also to types of love. Being in love and loving someone.

Friend 4: Kind of why I avoid it I guess. I rely on knowledge to lead since subconscious decision has led me astray. And by subconscious decision I mean my perception on where love led me, although it seems to be a little different for everyone I've met. In the end I've never been able to make sense of it

Friend 1:F3: Very true and I would dare say being in love may be the more complex of the two. F4: I appreciate your comment. It was beautifully honest and relate able. But don't give up. I imagine a life of denying love is, in the end, more painful than the few heart breaks it requires. Not to sound cheesy. But I do think love is something worthwhile.

Friend 5:Love and all feelings can be explained by chemicals and Synapses firing off in your brain. I love who I love because when I was with that person my brain made that chemical and formed an attachment to them.

Friend 1:But why are those chemicals released? You don't love someone because of firing in the brain. That happens because you love someone.

Friend 5:The chemical is released because your brain thinks "I like this person or like something this person does" so it releases the chemical for love and attachment. And in cases of Stockholm Syndrome the chemical for attachment is released to soothe the brain of the stress of being a captive.

Friend 1: Yeah but no. You are seeming to suggest that attachment and love are one in the same.

Friend 3:Attachment and love are two different things

Friend 1:That's what I think too.

Friend 5:No I'm just using Stockholm Syndrome as an example of how it works.

Friend 1:Oh gotchya. I completely agree on the Stockholm part.

How would you respond to this? Or would you respond at all?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:39 am
I am 4 Angry birds
So I was reading some friends comments on FB and this is what I was seeing...

Q:Why do people pretend to know why they love someone? As if its something that words can explain or the mind comprehend.

Friend 2: Don't be silly, sometimes that is an answer that a person does know. I agree, there is always more to it. Kinda hard to eliminate the the possibility of the knowledge for the root of your own feelings

Friend 1 biggrin on't be such silly, -----. You can explain why you like a person. Why you respect them.Why you want to be around them. Why you think they are so great and yes those things do have to do with love. But it is impossible to explain the actual love its self. Think about someone you love. You might say you love them because they are smart, funny or smell like jolly ranchers. But this is not why you love them This is why you like them. Love comes from the heart and we rarely have a choice in the matter. It has to do with a dance with two compatible energies.

Friend 2: Silly ----. You go to an art gallery and see half a picture. I take that closer look and see a bit more

Friend 1:Well you don't have to accuse me of lacking depth and focus. Lol I'm actually not denying the concept of love. I wholly accept it to the best of my ability. I just understand that some things are just beyond spoken language.

Friend 1:True, sometimes the language is primarily sexual. Jk.

Friend 3:It's hard to explain love.

Friend 1: --- gets it.

Friend 3:There's also to types of love. Being in love and loving someone.

Friend 4: Kind of why I avoid it I guess. I rely on knowledge to lead since subconscious decision has led me astray. And by subconscious decision I mean my perception on where love led me, although it seems to be a little different for everyone I've met. In the end I've never been able to make sense of it

Friend 1:F3: Very true and I would dare say being in love may be the more complex of the two. F4: I appreciate your comment. It was beautifully honest and relate able. But don't give up. I imagine a life of denying love is, in the end, more painful than the few heart breaks it requires. Not to sound cheesy. But I do think love is something worthwhile.

Friend 5:Love and all feelings can be explained by chemicals and Synapses firing off in your brain. I love who I love because when I was with that person my brain made that chemical and formed an attachment to them.

Friend 1:But why are those chemicals released? You don't love someone because of firing in the brain. That happens because you love someone.

Friend 5:The chemical is released because your brain thinks "I like this person or like something this person does" so it releases the chemical for love and attachment. And in cases of Stockholm Syndrome the chemical for attachment is released to soothe the brain of the stress of being a captive.

Friend 1: Yeah but no. You are seeming to suggest that attachment and love are one in the same.

Friend 3:Attachment and love are two different things

Friend 1:That's what I think too.

Friend 5:No I'm just using Stockholm Syndrome as an example of how it works.

Friend 1:Oh gotchya. I completely agree on the Stockholm part.

How would you respond to this? Or would you respond at all?

I would just say that love is whatever the hell people want it to be. I know the truth though. Through my experiences, I've come to the conclusion that over half the people in this world do not know what love is because they dont know how to love properly. Too many head games. Most people confuse lust with love. I honestly feel like I'd be better off alone. Its sad but true, No one really knows what love is. Not many people know how to love correctly. And because of that, the rest of us who do understand it ultimately get confused because.. the way that I look at it now: If the person doesnt love me anymore, if they moved on so quickly then that means I never really knew what love was either. Because their love was false.

But thats just me. I think its bullshit.  

Snobby_B i t c h

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:33 pm
I agree that there are different types of love (for instance, the four different types in the Greek language: agape, storge, phileo, eros). Agape is selfless love, driven to meet the needs of another, at no benefit to yourself, expecting nothing in return, not even a thank you; storge is family love/community love; phileo is brotherly love; eros is erotic love/lust. Agape is the love God expects us to show towards all, even towards enemies/people that hate us. But, regardless of the type, what they all have in common is this: that you care about the well-being of another person more than yourself / equally as yourself. Love will be others-centered (instead of self-centered) regardless of whether the object of that love is an enemy, friend, family, spouse or God.

If we're commanded to love our enemies, then love is beyond feelings and affections, and more so to do with acts of kindness and consideration for another's needs, keeping in mind how they might feel if we do or say something a certain way, regardless of our feelings towards them, and their feelings towards us (so whether we like them or not, or they like us or not, we're still going to look out for them and how they might feel).

Thus, Paul defining love for us as:

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NIV)

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And Jesus saying this:

John 15:13 (NIV)

13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

You're looking out for the well-being of another, at no benefit to you, even to your own hurt. Ideally, when a person loves, they're not focused on "what am I getting out of this?" but "what can I do for this person?".  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:07 pm
real eyes realize
And Jesus saying this:

John 15:13 (NIV)

13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

You're looking out for the well-being of another, at no benefit to you, even to your own hurt. Ideally, when a person loves, they're not focused on "what am I getting out of this?" but "what can I do for this person?".

This is right. I believe that love in its purest form is to preach the gospel! Even if you're persecuted and killed for it.

And loving your enemies is to preach the gospel to them even if they hate you for it! Because for all you know, you might save them!

Love in its purest form is caring for someone else's soul. And caring for someone else's soul is telling them the truth - that they will go to hell if they don't believe the gospel. Even if it means that you will die at the hands of your enemies for telling them this truth.  

CherieBunnie

Sugary Hourglass

Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces