Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Baptism how important is it really?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wildear19

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:08 am
So I’m having concerns with the concept of baptism and how important it really is. The short version is this

“So what your saying is that I must be baptized for the forgiveness of my sins?”
“I’m not saying anything, the bible is” [we looked at Acts and some other scriptures about the importance of baptism]
“so… because I’m not baptized my sins aren’t forgiven if I were to die right now I’d be in hell?”
“yes,”

So now I’m concerned, confused and restless, how important is baptism and do I need to be baptized in order for my sins to be taken away?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:06 am
Wildear19
So I’m having concerns with the concept of baptism and how important it really is. The short version is this

“So what your saying is that I must be baptized for the forgiveness of my sins?”
“I’m not saying anything, the bible is” [we looked at Acts and some other scriptures about the importance of baptism]
“so… because I’m not baptized my sins aren’t forgiven if I were to die right now I’d be in hell?”
“yes,”

So now I’m concerned, confused and restless, how important is baptism and do I need to be baptized in order for my sins to be taken away?

http://www.gty.org/resources/questions/qa79

Due to the fact that baptism is a work it will never save you. We are saved by faith and faith alone in Chirst and our works our simply a result of our salvation as you can see by reading James 2:14-26, the book of 1 John, and many other places in scripture but do not think that these scriptures are teaching that we are saved by our works because they are not but rather they are simply teaching that if you're saved then good works and you bearing fruit (John 15) is the result of your salvation and not what causes your salvation but yeah that article I posted should explain things for you hopefully. I'll pray for you and hopefully I explained this well enough for you. May the Lord bless you.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NASB)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Titus 3:4-7 (NASB)
But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, 5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwH1_foFL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR0ZVZItT2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6qt4qZUnWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8hOoxVDLF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNFfgQtS528  

starry night-163

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:27 pm
In agreement with starry, you do not need to be baptized to be saved/forgiven of your sins. My favorite example is the thief on the cross: he had no time for baptism; he was going to die in a matter of hours on that very cross next to Jesus. What he did have time for: recognizing his sinful ways, demonstrating his belief that Jesus was the prophesied messiah, the one who would come to reign, and asking Jesus to receive him/be remembered by Him. The thief had saving faith. The thief went through no ritual. Repentance of sins (acknowledging the sin in our lives and confessing them, turning away from them) and believing Jesus Christ is the Son of God, our messiah, is all one needs in order to be forgiven. Both are necessary.

Luke 23:39-43 (NIV)

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[a]”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Footnotes:

a. Luke 23:42 Some manuscripts come with your kingly power

He was mentioned briefly in the article that starry posted, but I wanted to elaborate on him just a bit. The article is thorough. I recommend reading it.

edit: about repentance being necessary / what our reaction to Jesus should be:

Acts 3:26 (NIV)

26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 pm
While we should preach that all people are commanded to repent and be baptized (Acts 2:3 cool , adding any other requirement to salvation by grace becomes “works” in disguise.

Even though numerous Scriptures speak of the importance of water baptism, adding anything to the work of the cross demeans the sacrifice of the Savior. It implies that His finished work wasn't enough. But the Bible makes clear that we are saved by grace, and grace alone,

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
—Ephesians 2:8-9

Baptism is simply a step of obedience to the Lord following our repentance and confession of sin. Our obedience--water baptism, prayer, good works, fellowship, witnessing, etc.--issues from our faith in Christ. Salvation is not what we do, but Who we have.

He that has the Son has life; and he that has not the Son of God has not life.
—1 John 5:12

Mark 16:16 quotes Jesus as saying: “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned” (NKJV). Does this mean that salvation is by baptism?

"In no way does this verse establish baptism as a condition for salvation; it is merely the declaration that those who believe and are baptized are saved. Any act of obedience to the Lord could be added after the expression 'whoever believes' and it would remain a true statement, because salvation is the result of faith in Christ.

It should be noted that when the Lord added, 'but whoever does not believe will be condemned,' there is no mention of baptism. In identifying what would bring about condemnation, Jesus did not say that 'whoever believes but is not baptized shall not be save.' If baptism were necessary for salvation, there are many significant verses which should be amended to read 'you are saved through faith and baptism.' It is clear that faith in Jesus Christ is what saves a person (Acts 16:30-31; Eph. 2:8-9).

Baptism is a distinct act of obedience, apart from salvation. This is clarified by the order in which the words 'believe' and 'baptize' occur in the text (cf. Acts 2:38; 10:44-4 cool . Baptism with the Spirit places believers into the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13), while water baptism merely signifies to others that a person has professed Christ.

The word 'saved' is translated from the Greek word sesosmenoi, which is a perfect passive participle. It means that this salvation took place at some point in the past, being accomplished by Jesus Christ Himself, and is continuing on in the present."

Lady Vizsla

Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff