Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Asking to be "taken" by God

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:35 am
Recent decline in health is making it difficult to live one day to the next. Slowly becoming bitter as a result of being chronically ill and in pain. Have prayed for guidance and strength to continue to allow Him into my heart. In response, I have asked for relief from that. What hurts most is lack of support from those whom are supposed to be close. In fact, receiving more backlash than anything. In turn, it is making me resentful. To that, I have prayed for patience. Have also prayed for Him to show me ways to help me serve Him.

Tonight, I had a genuine conversation with Him to "take me home".

Not sure how else to rephrase this question. Is it wrong to be ask to be "taken" by God?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 am
Arachnoia

No, but remember that all things are done in His time and for His glory; he could intend that you recover from this so you can assist others in recovery. I do not know what He has in mind for your life, but remember Jeremiah 29:11: "I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you," says the Lord. Paul says in Philippians 4:11-13: "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

Trust in Him, for the Lord knows his intent for your life even when you and I do not. A friend of mine always said "I don't know where I'm going in life, but I trust the Lord does what He intends." Remember that the Lord always has our best intentions at His heart. Deuteronomy 31:6: So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the LORD your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you."

Isaiah 43:2: When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.

Jeremiah 1:8: Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.  

Kaosujin Ryu

Eternal Senshi

13,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Divine Donator 100

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:07 pm
I appreciate the reply, Kaosujin Ryu.

Am trying to keep that outlook with faith in mind, but it's difficult with chronic ailments that don't let up.

Read the scriptures you send me aloud to myself. They gave some comfort. Thank you emotion_hug  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:46 am
Arachnoia

I've actually prayed for the same thing on many occasions, and I don't believe that it's inherently wrong. However, I think it's important that you also realize and accept the great value that your life has! While I can't say that I've ever experienced physical pain or illness to the degree you've described, I do struggle with severe depression. One of the only things that kept me from committing suicide throughout the last few years was knowing that God still has a plan to use me for the benefit of His kingdom, even when I don't feel like I could be of help to anyone.

This may sound like typical 'Christian parrot-talk', but God has a plan for you, Arachnoia. If he didn't, you wouldn't be here anymore! While praying for relief from suffering is never wrong by itself (even the Apostle Paul asked God to remove a "thorn in his flesh" from him. 2 Corinthians 12:7), please realize that no suffering - no matter how severe - goes under God's radar. And if he's allowed such things to happen to you, I guarantee that He'll use the things that once tormented you to bring you into further glory; in this life, and the life to come. Here's a passage that I find encouraging; "Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." (Romans 5:3-5)

This being said, I wouldn't recommend constant praying for death. Not because it's 'wrong' in and of itself, but because I find (in my life, at least) that it shifts my focus from dealing with my suffering to fantasies of escaping from it.

I'll be praying for you, Arachnoia! So far, my prayer journal says this;
Arachnoia: relief from suffering, understanding from his/her loved ones, peace of heart, understanding God's plan for his/her life. Was there anything else you would like me to remember?

God bless you!

Red  

Red Wight

Tipsy Dabbler

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:17 am
I know a few people who are in the same place you are. Where life is just trouble, and pain. It is ok to feel frustrated, to feel bad, but don't forget the glorious hope you have been given in Jesus. Don't lose that hope. You may have heard or read this before but I thought I would share it with you. For many people illness is a chance to shine for God. There's a guy in a wheelchair translating all the collective works of Spurgeon into Spanish (If I remember correctly). He saw it as a blessing that he now was in a wheelchair, or he would not have done what he is doing. Sometimes limitations are a blessing. It can allow people can see that you are not operating on your own strength, but through the strength God is giving to you.

2 Corinthians 12:1-10

Paul’s Vision and His Thorn
12 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. 5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. 6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul knew through the Holy Spirit that though his torment was Satanic/demonic on nature, God was using it to show people His strength in Paul. Lean on God for strength. God bless you and keep you sister!

Edit: I see Red Wight beat me to it with Paul's thorn. lol  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:12 pm
Red Wight

Garland-Green

Ironically enough, your posts have helped me pass on these words and aid others going through similar circumstances. Thank you for reaching out to me, as it has been a domino-effect.

Thankful to have joined this guild, that it exists, and for all of those who are teaching me while I continue on my journey.  

olisea

Muse

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:29 pm
Arachnoia
Red Wight

Garland-Green

Ironically enough, your posts have helped me pass on these words and aid others going through similar circumstances. Thank you for reaching out to me, as it has been a domino-effect.

Thankful to have joined this guild, that it exists, and for all of those who are teaching me while I continue on my journey.

Thank God. ^_^ That is where everything starts.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

God bless you.  
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff