Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
A serious question for my brothers in Christ.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:28 am
This is mainly for guys but, sisters, you are also welcome to share your thoughts and biblical verses relating to the question, as well.

So my question and current struggle.. is: Is it a sin to curl one's hair?

See, I'm struggling with the idea of..curling my hair. The thing is, I don't want to attract the attention of men, when I do so. I simply want to 'upgrade'/change my hairstyle.. but brothers.. will curling ones hair affect your view of them in a way that is lustful towards their hair? Does it stir up that kind of lust?

See, the type of hairstyle and the combination of the hat is something I want to wear (but without makeup):
Please be as honest as possible. I really need help in this matter and I hope to settle it in my heart soon.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:12 am
I don't think it's a coincidence that I chopped 10-12 inches off of my head for similar reasons a couple of days ago (the only difference: my hair is naturally curly, lol—and I don't mean wavy, but full-on corkscrew curls; and depending on how long I leave it in twists, it can get wavy-looking and at other times take on an almost dreadlock-type appearance).

On two separate occasions, I received creepy, sexual attention from a guy/old man, due to an attraction to my hair, even underneath a hoody and hair scarf, no tight clothing, the only skin showing was my hands, toes, face, neck—and all this attention even with my mother right next to me. Technically, I don't have to cover my hair unless I'm a married woman who is praying or prophesying, but since I'm celibate and I do have an authority over my head (Jesus) I wear one anyway, at all times, in case I want to pray wherever, whenever and to not attract sexual attention. My problem has always been not wanting to completely cover my hair, so people don't mistake me for a Muslim. Yet at the same time, I could not / can not deny that my long hair was the cause of my receiving unwanted attention.

A couple days ago (literally two days ago), I found myself watching some YouTube videos of women walking down the streets of New York and receiving all kinds of cat calls (at least one, this one in Seoul Korea, was showing no curves whatsoever in the middle of winter, with a coat on) and yet they all received unwanted sexual attention. The one thing in common, modestly dressed or not: they all had their long hair out and about. I was moved to chop most of it off shortly after, lol.

In the last video I saw, this one girl decided to try it with and without a hijab and compare if there were any differences. She received no attention with the hijab (actually, I think it was a burka nvm, hijab). But I don't want my style of dress to communicate to anyone that I think He is merely a prophet, that I deny that Jesus is both deity and man, the Son of God, nor that I think the Quran is the truth (because after reading up to Surah 3 alone, there were drastic changes to both the Law of Moses and the Gospels)—so, wearing hijabs and burkas are out of the question for me. Thus, I chose to cut most of it off.

Something else that is not a coincidence: how "christ i trust my savior" posted about 1 Corinthians 11 and headcoverings yesterday. I didn't see it until today (two days after my big chop). But perhaps it was to solidify/confirm my convictions and move you to be wary of your outward beauty. He's been moving in both my mom's and cousin's lives too over beauty, but not with hair, more so about undoing the surgeries they underwent for the sake of achieving beauty. They both have to go under the knife again to deal with the consequences of their choices (and at least in my mom's case, undoing it).

edit: also, sorry about the typo's; I'm writing from a mobile device.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

iuvenis

Quotable Shopper

5,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:14 am
1 Corinthians 6:12 :
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.

Thanks to God's grace, we're free to do anything (using critical thinking). But these things can't become more important than God...
So, in my opinion, it's completely fine to change your hairstyle. You're not showing any indecent part of your body, so I don't think it's going to affect the guys too much.
The only warning from the Bible is that you shouldn't put beauty and hair care (or anything else) before God in your list of priorities. If it isn't the case, feel free to curl your hair!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:17 am
I don't see why curling your hair would be a sin. It's your hair and I don't think there is anything in the bible that says you can't. It may attract lustful men, but as you are not tempted and do not act in a lustful manner I don't see the problem.

Also, is that you in the pictures? And do you remember me by chance? We used to be friends. I went by the name Jigga for a while but that account got banned.  

middle finger up

Noob

King Shining Heaven

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:59 pm
I don't believe curling your hair would be sinful at all; some men have a preference for women with long hair or certain hairstyles, so they'd be looking at you that way even if you had it straight  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:59 pm
Spirit Reborn
This is mainly for guys but, sisters, you are also welcome to share your thoughts and biblical verses relating to the question, as well.

So my question and current struggle.. is: Is it a sin to curl one's hair?

See, I'm struggling with the idea of..curling my hair. The thing is, I don't want to attract the attention of men, when I do so. I simply want to 'upgrade'/change my hairstyle.. but brothers.. will curling ones hair affect your view of them in a way that is lustful towards their hair? Does it stir up that kind of lust?

See, the type of hairstyle and the combination of the hat is something I want to wear (but without makeup):
Please be as honest as possible. I really need help in this matter and I hope to settle it in my heart soon.

if you want my honest opinion i think the bottom picture looks better but i like straight hair  

Axle Greyson Archer

Malevolent Genius

11,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Partygoer 500
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items