Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Asian & Australian Conventions
Trips to Japan

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Umaki Sarahuma

High-functioning Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:50 am
Hi! Let me introduce myself! I'm Rachel, an 18 year old anime lover & con goer like the rest of ya!

So, I know I'm one of the people having been lucky enough to get the opportunity to visit Japan. I went with a program called Experiment in International Living (EIL for short) in the summers of my Sophomore and Junior years in high school, specifically on the Japanimation program. Here's a link to their site if you are interested: Japimation Camp Anyone in high school can apply.

I also took another trip in the summer of 2014 to re-visit my 2013 (junior year) host family because I loved them so much. The program is really immersive and a huge learning experience.

Photos from my trips can be found here: Japan Trips

Feel free to post stories / photos of your own trips to Japan or dreams of going to Japan! I'd love to hear 'em, and I'm sure others would too!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:24 pm
Hi there! It's nice to "meet you," Rachel, I'm Stephanie! I feel like I should introduce myself as well!

You are so lucky to have visited Japan, not once, but twice (right?)! I'd love to hear more about your experience there! I always wanted to visit there myself, not only because I love anime so much, but their whole way of living, architecture, history, food, technology, etc... it all interests me! Hopefully one day I can visit Japan, too!

Your photos are awesome, by the way! It truly does look like you had such an amazing time! ^^~

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

Rogue-dono

Beloved Vampire

8,500 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:56 am
Nice to meet you!!! The program looks like it was very immersive for you and you look like you had so much fun!!!!! I always recommend people to go abroad at least once. It's a real eye opener. I also got the opportunity to go to Japan twice too back in 2011-2012. I went the first time for the Freeman AsiaNetwork research program that I collaborated with my Uni. I was in Japan that time from May-July 2011 and then I returned again to live in Osaka in September for school. I went to Kansai University in Suita. Because I was with a Uni, I didn't have a host family. I started out in a girl's dorm instead (stupid curfews!) and then moved into an apartment because it was cheaper. xD

You can find a little bit about the research my team did on the nuclear disasters that took place after March 11, 2011 here through the link on my site: HERE. My Study Abroad Blog has a little bit about my time in Japan from September-June 2012 as well as some images out of the gazillion I took while there. XD

What was your most memorable experience? How was the culture differences for you?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:42 am
Starz-N-Madness
Hi there! It's nice to "meet you," Rachel, I'm Stephanie! I feel like I should introduce myself as well!

You are so lucky to have visited Japan, not once, but twice (right?)! I'd love to hear more about your experience there! I always wanted to visit there myself, not only because I love anime so much, but their whole way of living, architecture, history, food, technology, etc... it all interests me! Hopefully one day I can visit Japan, too!

Your photos are awesome, by the way! It truly does look like you had such an amazing time! ^^~

Hi Stephanie! Sorry I'm so late in getting back to you! Yes, I have visited Japan four times in total, including a short trip in the fall of 2013 I didn't mention. It was only a few days as part of a larger trip so I didn't put it in there. ^^ I'm sure you will make it to Japan someday as long as you have the desire to do so and the will to make it happen. Thank you for the compliment on my photos! About my experience there, I did indeed have a lot of fun! The camp I went with in 2012 and 2013 visited Tokyo and Hokkaido both times. I'll talk about the 2013 trip since it was more recent! After meeting up with my campmates and two counselors in LA, we took a flight to Hawaii and from there to Tokyo. We were all exhausted by then, and lugged our stuff from the Ueno train station to Hotel Marutani where we stayed the next few days and got to know the area and culture. We then moved on to our one-week anime camp, where put together a short group animation of our own collaboration in Japanese anime fashion. We also had a day dedicated to voice acting, which one of our campmates aspired to do in the future. After that, we headed to Bihoro in Hokkaido, where we spent a week at a temple and another week with our separate host families. Saying goodbye to them on the train platform was one of the most emotional moments of the entire trip. We headed back to Hotel Marutani to wrap up our trip, then said goodbye to each other (another moment of tears). It was amazing and emotional at the same time, and one of the best experiences of my life. I loved my host family so much I've been to visit them twice since, once right after and once the following year.

Rogue-dono
Nice to meet you!!! The program looks like it was very immersive for you and you look like you had so much fun!!!!! I always recommend people to go abroad at least once. It's a real eye opener. I also got the opportunity to go to Japan twice too back in 2011-2012. I went the first time for the Freeman AsiaNetwork research program that I collaborated with my Uni. I was in Japan that time from May-July 2011 and then I returned again to live in Osaka in September for school. I went to Kansai University in Suita. Because I was with a Uni, I didn't have a host family. I started out in a girl's dorm instead (stupid curfews!) and then moved into an apartment because it was cheaper. xD

You can find a little bit about the research my team did on the nuclear disasters that took place after March 11, 2011 here through the link on my site: HERE. My Study Abroad Blog has a little bit about my time in Japan from September-June 2012 as well as some images out of the gazillion I took while there. XD

What was your most memorable experience? How was the culture differences for you?

Wow! That's amazing! It looks like you recorded the experience quite nicely! I'm impressed at the amount of detail here... My most memorable experience would have to be having dinner on the final night with my host family. We had yakiniku outside on their porch with the whole family and all of their friends gathered. I believe I posted an album with a similar scene from the following year. Second would have been saying goodbye to them, as I did not know I would be returning. The culture difference was tough the first year, but as I learned more it became less of a shock to me. I adore Japanese culture, and thus am very quick to learn, as I try my best to do so. That's not to say I've reached my goal yet. Even now, I find surprises about Japanese culture every day.

Umaki Sarahuma

High-functioning Lunatic

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:55 am
Umaki Sarahuma
Starz-N-Madness

Hi Stephanie! Sorry I'm so late in getting back to you! Yes, I have visited Japan four times in total, including a short trip in the fall of 2013 I didn't mention. It was only a few days as part of a larger trip so I didn't put it in there. ^^ I'm sure you will make it to Japan someday as long as you have the desire to do so and the will to make it happen. Thank you for the compliment on my photos! About my experience there, I did indeed have a lot of fun! The camp I went with in 2012 and 2013 visited Tokyo and Hokkaido both times. I'll talk about the 2013 trip since it was more recent! After meeting up with my campmates and two counselors in LA, we took a flight to Hawaii and from there to Tokyo. We were all exhausted by then, and lugged our stuff from the Ueno train station to Hotel Marutani where we stayed the next few days and got to know the area and culture. We then moved on to our one-week anime camp, where put together a short group animation of our own collaboration in Japanese anime fashion. We also had a day dedicated to voice acting, which one of our campmates aspired to do in the future. After that, we headed to Bihoro in Hokkaido, where we spent a week at a temple and another week with our separate host families. Saying goodbye to them on the train platform was one of the most emotional moments of the entire trip. We headed back to Hotel Marutani to wrap up our trip, then said goodbye to each other (another moment of tears). It was amazing and emotional at the same time, and one of the best experiences of my life. I loved my host family so much I've been to visit them twice since, once right after and once the following year.

Hi! That's perfectly alright! It's a busy time of year too, so I'm sure that doesn't help too! LOL. Wow, four times!? Lucky! The whole travelling experience you had, sounds amazing. How was it staying in a temple? That's one of my dreams! That, and going to a hot springs! How long did the flight take since it wasn't a direct flight? Do you continue to keep in touch with your host family? I bet it was really emotional to say goodbye. I would have cried so much- I'm such an emotional person.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:47 am
Starz-N-Madness
Umaki Sarahuma
Starz-N-Madness

Hi! That's perfectly alright! It's a busy time of year too, so I'm sure that doesn't help too! LOL. Wow, four times!? Lucky! The whole travelling experience you had, sounds amazing. How was it staying in a temple? That's one of my dreams! That, and going to a hot springs! How long did the flight take since it wasn't a direct flight? Do you continue to keep in touch with your host family? I bet it was really emotional to say goodbye. I would have cried so much- I'm such an emotional person.

The temple was amazing! I have a picture on my wall of our group there found here, sorry in advance for the bad quality, as I just used my phone camera to take it. Hot springs are great! You should definitely check out some of the ones in Kyoto, though I can't remember any specific names right now, sorry. The total flight time including layover was about 20 hours from LA. And yeah, I'm still in touch with them on Facebook. I'm planning to go see them after college, and I'll likely live in Tokyo for 1-4 years after college as well, so I'll see them more often. It really was a hard goodbye. I remember on the train after we had just left one of my friends from camp and I locked eyes, and we both just burst into tears.

Umaki Sarahuma

High-functioning Lunatic

aaawhyme

Demonic Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:06 pm
ahh im not in highschool anymore ;_;
but i just bought my tickets to go to japan on may 12 2015!! I'm so excited!

any places you suggest I should visit? Tokyo is a given haha  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:11 pm
Umaki Sarahuma
Starz-N-Madness
Umaki Sarahuma
Starz-N-Madness

The temple was amazing! I have a picture on my wall of our group there found here, sorry in advance for the bad quality, as I just used my phone camera to take it. Hot springs are great! You should definitely check out some of the ones in Kyoto, though I can't remember any specific names right now, sorry. The total flight time including layover was about 20 hours from LA. And yeah, I'm still in touch with them on Facebook. I'm planning to go see them after college, and I'll likely live in Tokyo for 1-4 years after college as well, so I'll see them more often. It really was a hard goodbye. I remember on the train after we had just left one of my friends from camp and I locked eyes, and we both just burst into tears.
Oh wow, I could still make it out- it looks lovely! You went to the hot springs as well! I definitely will go one day, hopefully sooner than later! Will you be moving to Japan for fun, or for your career? That's amazing. I would love to do the same. I wish travelling wasn't so expensive lol. Awww, if I experienced that, I would cry too. It's nice that you keep in touch with them over Facebook at least!

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

Rogue-dono

Beloved Vampire

8,500 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:09 pm
aaawhyme
ahh im not in highschool anymore ;_;
but i just bought my tickets to go to japan on may 12 2015!! I'm so excited!

any places you suggest I should visit? Tokyo is a given haha

Congratulations!! Please log your adventures!! <3 I recommend Osaka! The laid back atmosphere of the city and people is phenomenal! Osaka is so welcoming, generally. smile The FOOD. TRY ALL THE FOOD! biggrin And I also think if you get the chance, Miyajima in Hiroshima is a beautiful place. Arashiyama was one of my favourite touristy hangouts, and is also close to Tenchi no Sato (The famous Super Dollfie shop) in Kyoto. You can find Tenshi no Sumika in most major cities. Arashiyama has beautiful ohanami spots along the river. There is a very traditional feel to Arashiyama and tons of fun touristy places to check out. AND THE MONKEY PARK! biggrin The monkey park is in this area too as well as that famous bamboo path you see in Memoirs of a Geisha and tons of documentaries and National Geographic photos. smile But no matter where you are, try all the different kinds of food! smile  
Asian & Australian Conventions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games