Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Abortion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OMGITSMiShKi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:46 pm
I actually was in a debate on here (and still am) about abortion.
Personally, i think its wrong. I feel like if you are grown enough to have sex then you should be grown enough to take responsibility for a child.
Wheither you are okay with it or not, what sickens me is how allot of people who are for abortion are unable to face the reality of it.
I think that they don't want to acknowledge to themselves even, that a fetus is a living being.
One person kept saying "just because its a fetus doesnt grant it person hood".
To me that is just sick somebody saying that. And to me shows how careless you are of life.
"oh its just a fetus its not born yet so its okay to kill it."
And some of the things these people are saying is like. i dont know completely blowing my mind.
Its like as if they arent treating it as a serious matter. like its just some casual thing somebody goes out and does in case they have an accident.
I dont know, its just really bothering me.
Not the fact that they are okay with it but how they are treating the situation.

For it or not, be grown enough to know the severity of it. Be grown enough to acknowledge that what you are terminating has life to it.

Sorry, i guess this was more of a rant than a discussion.
I just cant believe that this world is filled with people that are so cold hearted.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:26 pm
I couldn't agree with you more!
People usually say "oh, there's no problem if you make an abortion before the third month (of the fetus), because it's neural sistem isn't fully developed so it won't feel any pain". They don't understand that abortion is killing, being a painful process or not.
There are some situations (life-threatening ones or rape) in which making this sacrifice is necessary (at least in my opinion). But people don't understand how serious this decision is, and often do it because they just "want" to...  

iuvenis

Quotable Shopper

5,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:16 pm
Regardless, this is not an easy topic. That being said, I think it should be a conversation that be treated as fragile. You never know how your words may rot in the mind of someone who reads them. I do not think that is something one should hope to accomplish.

I know my opinion will not be a popular one. However, I am still "pro-choice". Would I personally ever have an abortion, personally? No. But I will defend the option to choose. Do I believe it is killing? Yes, unfortunately. This is a personal belief that I have and I will take with me upon the judgement I receive when that day comes.

Having heard and seen the repercussions of frantic young women of not knowing what to do and going to extreme measures to abort the pregnancy. Additionally, I have also seen the consequences of mentally unstable young women give birth and keep the baby. Then, witnessing them suffer try to commit suicide (and nearly successful). You see all kinds of things in battered women's shelters, rape crisis centers, and in the hospital. As a former nursing student and simply volunteering in these facilities - you are forced to face some harder realities that cannot be simply be "black and white", in my opinion.

Alternatively, you see how abortions effect a woman's emotional and mental state. It is a traumatizing experience that a woman will have carry for the rest of her life. Do all women react this way? Not always. They are too blind to know, think, or see otherwise. Personally, I get ... disgusted with those women that treat abortion clinics like a regular dental cleaning. Regardless, it is not my place to personally condemn or ridicule them. They will answer to God.

However, without option of choice, we would possibly be hearing more of the "back-alley" abortions, women dying (along with the child) due to infection, botched-surgery, or shock. This would also give rise to black market deals. One reason we don't see those iron-wire hangers anymore is because of what they were used for not so many years ago. Unfortunately, I have been told about situations in which this was performed and the mother barely survived. As a result, she will forever be unable to reproduce again and has suffered both physical and mental repercussions.

Personally, I would rather have women have the option to go to a safe, sanitary facility, where medical professionals are. Regardless, if someone is truly desperate enough, especially impressionable and impulsive teens, they will find a way to do it. It would also bring about incrimination to an already overwhelmed judicial system. In other words, because it isn't allowed in legally, people will probably go to desperate lengths to avoid punishment. Which, honestly, you would be juggling punishment from the justice system verses God's judgement.

In the bigger picture, it is the culture we live in. Sex is promoted in almost all the music, television, movies, that we watch. Being "wild", "free", and "promiscuous" is celebrated. Even today's "Feminism Movement" is promoting such themes as, "Well, if men can sleep around and not be shamed - we shouldn't be either". Perhaps, not in text that is promoted - but if you read between the lines... That is how the message is perceived.

Parents, too, are responsible for raising children instilling values and morals in regard to sex and the consequences of sex to their children. Unfortunately, public schools also hold this responsibility because they spend more time with the kids as they age while parents work. Most parents are too proud to think their children would be sexually callous and disregard having important conversations. Additionally, (most, not all) parents will usually be the first to tell their teen to get an abortion to preserve their future education/career/life. Alternatively, the parents will pressure the teen to resume with a pregnancy, only to give them no resources, guidance, or help otherwise.

Like I said, it is a fragile topic. Unfortunately, I have witnessed the devastation, sadness, and desperation from many different perspectives. I don't have all the answers, I only pray for guidance from God and Jesus to help show me (and others) the way.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:57 pm
iuvenis
I couldn't agree with you more!
People usually say "oh, there's no problem if you make an abortion before the third month (of the fetus), because it's neural sistem isn't fully developed so it won't feel any pain". They don't understand that abortion is killing, being a painful process or not.
There are some situations (life-threatening ones or rape) in which making this sacrifice is necessary (at least in my opinion). But people don't understand how serious this decision is, and often do it because they just "want" to...

I don't understand why women go through abortions instead of having their children and then putting them up for adoption. This is no easy decision either, but it's better to let your child have a chance at a happy life instead of outright killing him/her.  

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:45 pm
OtakuKat

I don't understand why women go through abortions instead of having their children and then putting them up for adoption. This is no easy decision either, but it's better to let your child have a chance at a happy life instead of outright killing him/her.

As someone who is familiar with foster homes... It can be rough out there. Unfortunately, there is a lot of abuse that goes on from physical, mental, emotional and/or sexual. Many (not all, of course) of those families adopt and/or play musical chairs with children in foster-care so they can receive a SS check (at least, this is a reality for some states in the US). Kids/teens usually get the bad end of the stick and their foster parents do the bare minimum so they can pocket the rest of the money.

My grandmother adopted me for money after my mother passed away (and father is/was mentally unstable; does not have legal guardianship of himself). It wasn't hard to tell that is what she was after. Lot of emotional/mental abuse. Warped my perception on reality for awhile.

I'm not trying to dismiss adoption or disrespect anyone's opinions or beliefs... Just presenting things from a personal perspective.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:55 pm
Arachnoia
OtakuKat

As someone who is familiar with foster homes... It can be rough out there. Unfortunately, there is a lot of abuse that goes on from physical, mental, emotional and/or sexual. Many (not all, of course) of those families adopt and/or play musical chairs with children in foster-care so they can receive a SS check (at least, this is a reality for some states in the US). Kids/teens usually get the bad end of the stick and their foster parents do the bare minimum so they can pocket the rest of the money.

My grandmother adopted me for money after my mother passed away (and father is/was mentally unstable; does not have legal guardianship of himself). It wasn't hard to tell that is what she was after. Lot of emotional/mental abuse. Warped my perception on reality for awhile.

I'm not trying to dismiss adoption or disrespect anyone's opinions or beliefs... Just presenting things from a personal perspective.

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through all of that. It's a blessing that you have come to know the Lord. Perhaps other children in foster care will also come to know Him.  

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 pm
OtakuKat
Arachnoia
OtakuKat

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through all of that. It's a blessing that you have come to know the Lord. Perhaps other children in foster care will also come to know Him.

No worries heart While I'm not sorry it happened, it just wasn't pleasant. Some things do stay with you. Unfortunately, the negative ones have a way of sticking out more than the positive things.

Ideally, I'd like to reach others in similar situations. If it weren't for certain people being "placed" in my life at the right time, I may not be here even sharing this. I owe that thanks to God, for putting the "right" people in my path that had led me to this point of coming back into faith in the Lord.

There comes a certain point where it's like... You could not have gone through so many things for nothing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm
Arachnoia
OtakuKat
Arachnoia
OtakuKat

No worries heart While I'm not sorry it happened, it just wasn't pleasant. Some things do stay with you. Unfortunately, the negative ones have a way of sticking out more than the positive things.

Ideally, I'd like to reach others in similar situations. If it weren't for certain people being "placed" in my life at the right time, I may not be here even sharing this. I owe that thanks to God, for putting the "right" people in my path that had led me to this point of coming back into faith in the Lord.

There comes a certain point where it's like... You could not have gone through so many things for nothing.

Yeah, God has a way of turning problems into blessings. ^^  

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:35 pm
OtakuKat
Arachnoia
OtakuKat
Arachnoia
OtakuKat

It definitely took me awhile to understand that whee
Hope you are having a wonderful day so far ^.^  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:39 pm
Arachnoia
OtakuKat
Arachnoia
OtakuKat
Arachnoia
OtakuKat

It definitely took me awhile to understand that whee
Hope you are having a wonderful day so far ^.^

My day has been good. ^^
I think we're getting a little off-topic here. 8'D  

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

Bubblehead0987654321

Desirable Noob

10,925 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:01 pm
I am against abortion unless they were raped. Then they can get an abortion, other then that, no abortion for them.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:53 pm

I think having a proper understanding of Personhood as it applies to unborn children is critical. For Christians, Personhood is determined by the presence of a human soul, a soul made in the Image of God. The Judeo-Christian worldview understands humans holistically, as a unity with many facets. Thus human beings, by their very nature, have human souls. There is no soulless human being. Additionally, because humans have souls by their very nature, the presence of a soul is present in every human being at the moment they begin their existence. In the case of the womb, this is at conception.

So abortion is the termination of a human being, a person. It is murder. Therefore, we can generally assume that it is wrong under all circumstances. Rape. Incest. Financial hardship. None of these things can serve as an excuse for abortion.

How do we weigh the life of one human being over another? It's a hard position to take.

I recently finished writing my college senior capstone paper on this topic. My paper addressed embryos and clones.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Sairanie

Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:36 pm
frankenshel
Regardless, this is not an easy topic. That being said, I think it should be a conversation that be treated as fragile. You never know how your words may rot in the mind of someone who reads them. I do not think that is something one should hope to accomplish.

I know my opinion will not be a popular one. However, I am still "pro-choice". Would I personally ever have an abortion, personally? No. But I will defend the option to choose. Do I believe it is killing? Yes, unfortunately. This is a personal belief that I have and I will take with me upon the judgement I receive when that day comes.

Having heard and seen the repercussions of frantic young women of not knowing what to do and going to extreme measures to abort the pregnancy. Additionally, I have also seen the consequences of mentally unstable young women give birth and keep the baby. Then, witnessing them suffer try to commit suicide (and nearly successful). You see all kinds of things in battered women's shelters, rape crisis centers, and in the hospital. As a former nursing student and simply volunteering in these facilities - you are forced to face some harder realities that cannot be simply be "black and white", in my opinion.

Alternatively, you see how abortions effect a woman's emotional and mental state. It is a traumatizing experience that a woman will have carry for the rest of her life. Do all women react this way? Not always. They are too blind to know, think, or see otherwise. Personally, I get ... disgusted with those women that treat abortion clinics like a regular dental cleaning. Regardless, it is not my place to personally condemn or ridicule them. They will answer to God.

However, without option of choice, we would possibly be hearing more of the "back-alley" abortions, women dying (along with the child) due to infection, botched-surgery, or shock. This would also give rise to black market deals. One reason we don't see those iron-wire hangers anymore is because of what they were used for not so many years ago. Unfortunately, I have been told about situations in which this was performed and the mother barely survived. As a result, she will forever be unable to reproduce again and has suffered both physical and mental repercussions.

Personally, I would rather have women have the option to go to a safe, sanitary facility, where medical professionals are. Regardless, if someone is truly desperate enough, especially impressionable and impulsive teens, they will find a way to do it. It would also bring about incrimination to an already overwhelmed judicial system. In other words, because it isn't allowed in legally, people will probably go to desperate lengths to avoid punishment. Which, honestly, you would be juggling punishment from the justice system verses God's judgement.

In the bigger picture, it is the culture we live in. Sex is promoted in almost all the music, television, movies, that we watch. Being "wild", "free", and "promiscuous" is celebrated. Even today's "Feminism Movement" is promoting such themes as, "Well, if men can sleep around and not be shamed - we shouldn't be either". Perhaps, not in text that is promoted - but if you read between the lines... That is how the message is perceived.

Parents, too, are responsible for raising children instilling values and morals in regard to sex and the consequences of sex to their children. Unfortunately, public schools also hold this responsibility because they spend more time with the kids as they age while parents work. Most parents are too proud to think their children would be sexually callous and disregard having important conversations. Additionally, (most, not all) parents will usually be the first to tell their teen to get an abortion to preserve their future education/career/life. Alternatively, the parents will pressure the teen to resume with a pregnancy, only to give them no resources, guidance, or help otherwise.

Like I said, it is a fragile topic. Unfortunately, I have witnessed the devastation, sadness, and desperation from many different perspectives. I don't have all the answers, I only pray for guidance from God and Jesus to help show me (and others) the way.

This is phrased much more eloquently than I could have written it, because I agree wholeheartedly with everything you've written! You are very tactful in discussing what is (as you yourself said) a very delicate topic.

I would also add that making abortions illegal isn't even the best way to prevent them - sex education (which you also mentioned) in an open, honest conversation is the key in making a difference.

Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games