Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Entertainment: Books, Movies & Music
Newsboys Co-Founder: I'm Now an Atheist

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:42 am
Newsboys Co-Founder: I'm Now an Atheist  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:01 am
Sad. Read the article and went to listen to some of their music.

This especially stood out to me:

Quote:
He started to become interested in cosmology in 1992. He became intrigued by the works of famous cosmologists and evolutionists like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss and others

"I learned so much and was blown away by all the amazing scientific discoveries," Perdikis said.

Ironically, the sciences brought me closer to God. From listening in on the weekly scientific article discussions, conducting field-research, and ultimately working in the lab. There is a huge difference between learning through reading from a textbook (as you would for a regular Microbiology / Anatomy & Physiology class) and actually getting to have hands-on experience with it.

I cannot explain the... rush of being able to see live microbes under a microscope. It was fascinating and beautiful. As an Atheist at the time, it was like looking at a pieces of thriving art. Artwork always has an artist, no? For first time in years, I think that was the moment I finally acknowledged that there is a Creator. Spent hours overtime in the lab, that day lol

I digress, it's sad when I hear people say that the sciences is what came between them and their faith.  

olisea

Muse

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:42 pm
Arachnoia
Sad. Read the article and went to listen to some of their music.

This especially stood out to me:

Quote:
He started to become interested in cosmology in 1992. He became intrigued by the works of famous cosmologists and evolutionists like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss and others

"I learned so much and was blown away by all the amazing scientific discoveries," Perdikis said.

Ironically, the sciences brought me closer to God. From listening in on the weekly scientific article discussions, conducting field-research, and ultimately working in the lab. There is a huge difference between learning through reading from a textbook (as you would for a regular Microbiology / Anatomy & Physiology class) and actually getting to have hands-on experience with it.

I cannot explain the... rush of being able to see live microbes under a microscope. It was fascinating and beautiful. As an Atheist at the time, it was like looking at a pieces of thriving art. Artwork always has an artist, no? For first time in years, I think that was the moment I finally acknowledged that there is a Creator. Spent hours overtime in the lab, that day lol

I digress, it's sad when I hear people say that the sciences is what came between them and their faith.

Reading between the lines I read from the article that the reason why he is calling out other members as hypocrites is because it was hypocritical of himself to be playing in a Christian band.

"After Perdikis was kicked out of his high school and was sent off to a Christian school in Bethesda in 1981,"

""I always felt uncomfortable with the strict rules imposed by Christianity. All I wanted to do was play rock and roll"

I personally don't think that Richard Dawkins or any of the others mentioned made him fall from faith, but that he may have found support for what he already believed in their writings, and it allowed him to be more vocal about it, and something that could support just playing rock and roll.
Why didn't he go for books by theologians, Christian scholars or read apologetics? Why did he go straight for writings by vocal atheists?  
Christian Entertainment: Books, Movies & Music

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games