Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
The Old Testament and punishment Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:58 am
aj OwO
Kill False Prophets
1) Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles, and the predicted signs or miracles take place. If the prophets then say, 'Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,' do not listen to them. The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul. Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt. Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your God, you must execute them to remove the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

2) But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.' You may wonder, 'How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?' If the prophet predicts something in the LORD's name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NLT)

"Suppose there are prophets among you". These were again as in the previous posts I made, Israelites. They did not have true messages, but false messages they claimed came from God or other gods (knowing very well themselves that they did not), to lead the people astray.They were attempting to keep the people from God for various reasons. They were actively trying to make people believe something that was damaging to them on purpose.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:44 am
aj OwO
Infidels and Gays Should Die
So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

"Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies."

God gives people over to sin which leads to judgement if they deliberately abandon truth in favor of lies. Personally I believe we are seeing this in our society today.

Context:

Romans 1:18-22
God’s Wrath Against Sinful Humanity
18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

aj OwO

Sparkly Flashback

12,550 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Carl 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:28 am
all of those "crimes" called for the death penalty. can that be considered just or loving?

also god is all knowing, so wouldn't he already have known all of those things were going to happen from the start?

i think if someone were to try to sentence people to death for something like adultery or dishonoring their parents there would be some protest.

so why is it out of all these crimes, homosexuality is somehow still worth persecuting people over, and not the other ones?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 pm
aj OwO
all of those "crimes" called for the death penalty. can that be considered just or loving?

"Yes" to both.

It is just because that is what the action deserves/merits:

• Romans 6:23 (NLT)

23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

In like manner, if you enter a country which has laws against certain substances, and they decided it was a capital crime to carry said substances because of how it affects the community, and you stepped on their turf, it's totally just/deserved/merited for them to kill you. If they don't, at that point it is total mercy / undeserved favor, but the situation does merit that they kill you: it's their law. You are responsible for knowing the laws of the territory you're on (and whose territory you're on). And I'm sure they're not keeping these laws a secret if they're interested in the well-being of their community, and wish to safeguard their community from being contaminated by those coming into the country.

It is loving to rid the community of criminals (either by the criminal's death or the person's repentance, his/her turning away from wicked ways / from crime, thus no longer a criminal; the criminal in them was put to death while they live). It is loving because it looks out for the community at large who is being affected by the sin. All sins can be reduced down to this: people living to please the five senses, regardless of the repercussions it has on themselves and others.

Sin, transgression of YHWH's law, has casualties before you ever get judged for it. The misuse of YHWH's creation—your own body (and emotions), the body and emotions of others—affects his creation. Whether that manifests as sexual misuse of bodily parts, which were never meant for sex (but strictly for digestion i.e. a**s), or verbal abuse and ill-wishing on other people, your victims having to endure your hostility. Thus you're affecting the community by one of two ways: either by making them endure your abuse of them, or by influencing them to follow your footsteps, and harm themselves or others for the sake of a pleasure, a fleeting, carnal craving (like rage, gluttonous hunger, or lust). It's selfish and puts the survival and well-being of others at risk, not just yourself. Gluttony, not only affects your own body, but it leaves less food for the rest to eat. Lust, outside of the acceptable context, has people using their body in ways that hurt themselves and can permanently compromise their organs (through disease or stretching the a**s, putting pressure on the veins in the a**s, and getting hemorrhoids).

BTW,

Extensive research shows the main cause of hemorrhoids is the result of increased pressure on veins contained in the a**l and rectal area. This, of course, is brought on by a variety of reasons. The following list identifies the main triggers that lead to hemorrhoids.

[...]

5. a**l Sex

a**l sex can be a cause of hemorrhoids depending on your body’s natural response to added stress in the area involved in the act. You may want to consider abstaining from a**l sex if you are particularly sensitive to physical stress on the a**l area.

http://www.hemorrhoids.org/hemorrhoids-cause.html

That is a medical website, not a Christian one. a**l Sex is #5 on the list, not in any special order, but it is a cause.

And lastly, human rage, it does not result in righteousness, just in cutting people down. Thus teachings/instructions/commands against it.

Quote:
also god is all knowing, so wouldn't he already have known all of those things were going to happen from the start?

Yes. Knowing something will happen beforehand, however, doesn't negate that such behavior needs to be judged and eliminated (either through the person's repentance [turning away from wickedness; thus sin/transgression of the law destroyed/prevented] or through that person's destruction if they won't repent of their deeds, but in either case, they must be given the chance to either [A] commit the crime or refrain from committing the sin in the first place, or else it's not just). If you had the desire in you to sin, and intended to carry it out when the opportunity presented itself, you should be punished for it.

For example, why do cops go undercover to catch prostitutes in the act? They know prostitutes are going to prostitute themselves. But the prostitute needs to be caught in the act for them to be convicted. Thus justice, and eliminated from the streets (out of concern for everyone: the prostitute herself, the customers, and people being led to believe this is a good way to earn a living; at the end of the day, prostitution is not healthy on any kind of level, emotionally or physically, whoring yourself [or others] out). If you had no intention to prostitute yourself, then when an undercover cop asked you to "service" him, you'd say no. Because you don't have the intention to break the law for the sake of money. But opportunity is given to see if you're a criminal or not. The same applies to everything God considers sin (transgression of his law). We're given opportunity to show our true colors and if our true colors are "sinner" you can either choose to stay one and be convicted on judgment day. Or, accept his offer to pay for your crimes and give you a new birth, to put those criminal desires to death for good, and in so doing, you won't be convicted on judgment day.

God prefers people turn away from their wickedness however (as I'm sure cops prefer too, if they have a heart). No one "likes" punishing people. But for the sake of the community, it must be dealt with (to keep others from following in their detrimental footsteps, hurting and misusing their own bodies / emotions, and the bodies and emotions of others, in the process). God does not want them to be destroyed. That's why he gives everyone that chance to turn away.

• 2 Peter 3:9 (NLT)

9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.

• Ezekiel 33:11 (NLT)

11 As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live. Turn! Turn from your wickedness, O people of Israel! Why should you die?

Quote:
i think if someone were to try to sentence people to death for something like adultery or dishonoring their parents there would be some protest.

Of course there would be protest. I expect major protest. Mankind is in rebellion to the Creator's ways. Mankind has become calloused / insensitive to just how hateful their sin is in the first place.

• Psalm 2:2-3 (NIV)

2 The kings of the earth rise up
        and the rulers band together
        against the Lord and against his anointed, saying,
        3 “Let us break their chains
        and throw off their shackles.”

• Revelation 9:20 (NIV)

20 The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk.

• Psalm 53:3 (NIV)

3 Everyone has turned away, all have become corrupt;
        there is no one who does good,
        not even one.

Quote:
so why is it out of all these crimes, homosexuality is somehow still worth persecuting people over, and not the other ones?

When did the others (i.e. adultery, dishonoring ones parents, etc...) stop being a crime...? Just because mankind becomes more and more lax in their loyalty to their Creator, doesn't mean it stopped being a crime, a violation against others and against our Creator. And unless the whole city/country has willingly come into covenant under God, submitting under his form of government, then capital punishment, the way YHWH commanded, cannot be carried out justly.

Are you aware that Jesus is coming back, not to offer forgiveness again, but to judge? By then, his call to repentance / reconciliation to him would have been over. The call to be restored to a perceptible heart, which is sensitive to hate, will be gone. And the consequence is worse than a physical stoning.

• Revelation 19:14-15 (NLT)

14 The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed him on white horses. 15 From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress.

• Acts 17:31 (NLT)

31 For he has set a day for judging the world with justice by the man he has appointed, and he proved to everyone who this is by raising him from the dead.”

• 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9 (NLT)

6 In his justice he will pay back those who persecute you.

7 And God will provide rest for you who are being persecuted and also for us when the Lord Jesus appears from heaven. He will come with his mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire, bringing judgment on those who don’t know God and on those who refuse to obey the Good News of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will be punished with eternal destruction, forever separated from the Lord and from his glorious power.

But it's not too late right now; he offers to give us a new heart with new desires; once we repent, he'll send us his Holy Spirit, so we understand his understanding, his ways, his perspectives, and have his sensitivity to hate.

• Proverbs 1:23 (NIV)

23 Repent at my rebuke!
        Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
        I will make known to you my teachings.

• Acts 2:38 (NIV)

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

• Ezekiel 36:25-27 (NIV)

25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

• 1 John 4:8 (NLT)

8 But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

aj OwO

Sparkly Flashback

12,550 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Carl 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:40 pm
real eyes realize
aj OwO

"Yes" to both.

It is just because that is what the action deserves/merits:

• Romans 6:23 (NLT)

23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

In like manner, if you enter a country which has laws against certain substances, and they decided it was a capital crime to carry said substances because of how it affects the community, and you stepped on their turf, it's totally just/deserved/merited for them to kill you. If they don't, at that point it is total mercy / undeserved favor, but the situation does merit that they kill you: it's their law. You are responsible for knowing the laws of the territory you're on (and whose territory you're on). And I'm sure they're not keeping these laws a secret if they're interested in the well-being of their community, and wish to safeguard their community from being contaminated by those coming into the country.

It is loving to rid the community of criminals (either by the criminal's death or the person's repentance, his/her turning away from wicked ways / from crime, thus no longer a criminal; the criminal in them was put to death while they live). It is loving because it looks out for the community at large who is being affected by the sin. All sins can be reduced down to this: people living to please the five senses, regardless of the repercussions it has on themselves and others.

Sin, transgression of YHWH's law, has casualties before you ever get judged for it. The misuse of YHWH's creation—your own body (and emotions), the body and emotions of others—affects his creation. Whether that manifests as sexual misuse of bodily parts, which were never meant for sex (but strictly for digestion i.e. a**s), or verbal abuse and ill-wishing on other people, your victims having to endure your hostility. Thus you're affecting the community by one of two ways: either by making them endure your abuse of them, or by influencing them to follow your footsteps, and harm themselves or others for the sake of a pleasure, a fleeting, carnal craving (like rage, gluttonous hunger, or lust). It's selfish and puts the survival and well-being of others at risk, not just yourself. Gluttony, not only affects your own body, but it leaves less food for the rest to eat. Lust, outside of the acceptable context, has people using their body in ways that hurt themselves and can permanently compromise their organs (through disease or stretching the a**s, putting pressure on the veins in the a**s, and getting hemorrhoids).

BTW,

Extensive research shows the main cause of hemorrhoids is the result of increased pressure on veins contained in the a**l and rectal area. This, of course, is brought on by a variety of reasons. The following list identifies the main triggers that lead to hemorrhoids.

[...]

5. a**l Sex

a**l sex can be a cause of hemorrhoids depending on your body’s natural response to added stress in the area involved in the act. You may want to consider abstaining from a**l sex if you are particularly sensitive to physical stress on the a**l area.

http://www.hemorrhoids.org/hemorrhoids-cause.html

That is a medical website, not a Christian one. a**l Sex is #5 on the list, not in any special order, but it is a cause.

And lastly, human rage, it does not result in righteousness, just in cutting people down. Thus teachings/instructions/commands against it.

Quote:

Yes. Knowing something will happen beforehand, however, doesn't negate that such behavior needs to be judged and eliminated (either through the person's repentance [turning away from wickedness; thus sin/transgression of the law destroyed/prevented] or through that person's destruction if they won't repent of their deeds, but in either case, they must be given the chance to either [A] commit the crime or refrain from committing the sin in the first place, or else it's not just). If you had the desire in you to sin, and intended to carry it out when the opportunity presented itself, you should be punished for it.

For example, why do cops go undercover to catch prostitutes in the act? They know prostitutes are going to prostitute themselves. But the prostitute needs to be caught in the act for them to be convicted. Thus justice, and eliminated from the streets (out of concern for everyone: the prostitute herself, the customers, and people being led to believe this is a good way to earn a living; at the end of the day, prostitution is not healthy on any kind of level, emotionally or physically, whoring yourself [or others] out). If you had no intention to prostitute yourself, then when an undercover cop asked you to "service" him, you'd say no. Because you don't have the intention to break the law for the sake of money. But opportunity is given to see if you're a criminal or not. The same applies to everything God considers sin (transgression of his law). We're given opportunity to show our true colors and if our true colors are "sinner" you can either choose to stay one and be convicted on judgment day. Or, accept his offer to pay for your crimes and give you a new birth, to put those criminal desires to death for good, and in so doing, you won't be convicted on judgment day.

God prefers people turn away from their wickedness however (as I'm sure cops prefer too, if they have a heart). No one "likes" punishing people. But for the sake of the community, it must be dealt with (to keep others from following in their detrimental footsteps, hurting and misusing their own bodies / emotions, and the bodies and emotions of others, in the process). God does not want them to be destroyed. That's why he gives everyone that chance to turn away.

• 2 Peter 3:9 (NLT)

9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.

• Ezekiel 33:11 (NLT)

11 As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live. Turn! Turn from your wickedness, O people of Israel! Why should you die?

Quote:

Of course there would be protest. I expect major protest. Mankind is in rebellion to the Creator's ways. Mankind has become calloused / insensitive to just how hateful their sin is in the first place.

• Psalm 2:2-3 (NIV)

2 The kings of the earth rise up
        and the rulers band together
        against the Lord and against his anointed, saying,
        3 “Let us break their chains
        and throw off their shackles.”

• Revelation 9:20 (NIV)

20 The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk.

• Psalm 53:3 (NIV)

3 Everyone has turned away, all have become corrupt;
        there is no one who does good,
        not even one.

Quote:

When did the others (i.e. adultery, dishonoring ones parents, etc...) stop being a crime...? Just because mankind becomes more and more lax in their loyalty to their Creator, doesn't mean it stopped being a crime, a violation against others and against our Creator. And unless the whole city/country has willingly come into covenant under God, submitting under his form of government, then capital punishment, the way YHWH commanded, cannot be carried out justly.

Are you aware that Jesus is coming back, not to offer forgiveness again, but to judge? By then, his call to repentance / reconciliation to him would have been over. The call to be restored to a perceptible heart, which is sensitive to hate, will be gone. And the consequence is worse than a physical stoning.

• Revelation 19:14-15 (NLT)

14 The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed him on white horses. 15 From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress.

• Acts 17:31 (NLT)

31 For he has set a day for judging the world with justice by the man he has appointed, and he proved to everyone who this is by raising him from the dead.”

• 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9 (NLT)

6 In his justice he will pay back those who persecute you.

7 And God will provide rest for you who are being persecuted and also for us when the Lord Jesus appears from heaven. He will come with his mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire, bringing judgment on those who don’t know God and on those who refuse to obey the Good News of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will be punished with eternal destruction, forever separated from the Lord and from his glorious power.

But it's not too late right now; he offers to give us a new heart with new desires; once we repent, he'll send us his Holy Spirit, so we understand his understanding, his ways, his perspectives, and have his sensitivity to hate.

• Proverbs 1:23 (NIV)

23 Repent at my rebuke!
        Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
        I will make known to you my teachings.

• Acts 2:38 (NIV)

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

• Ezekiel 36:25-27 (NIV)

25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

• 1 John 4:8 (NLT)

8 But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

emotion_facepalm  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:39 am
aj OwO

real eyes realize addressed this so well that I don't feel a need to comment on this.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:52 am
aj OwO
Kill Anyone who Approaches the Tabernacle
For the LORD had said to Moses, 'Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites. You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment. They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it. Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again. Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed.' (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)/

Too near is very well defined, and there would no doubt in any Israelites mind what was too near. It would also be no doubt in any Israelites mind why only the Levites were in charge of the Tabernacle. God choose the Levites to serve as priests because they belonged to Him and only they were permitted to enter the tent of meeting (Exodus 27:21).

Numbers 3:12-13
"Now, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the sons of Israel instead of every firstborn, the first issue of the womb among the sons of Israel. So the Levites shall be Mine. "For all the firstborn are Mine; on the day that I struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, I sanctified to Myself all the firstborn in Israel, from man to beast. They shall be Mine; I am the LORD.

The Tabernacle was very visible (Exodus 26). You couldn't accidentally stumble in to the Holy of Holies or accidentally come too near to the Tent of Meeting. You would know you had no business being there so you would avoid getting close. If you got so close that it merited death penalty you would have chosen to ignore the warnings and done so knowing very well the outcome.

In Numbers 18:21-22 where the Israelites were warned not to enter the Tent of Meeting.

To the sons of Levi, behold, I have given all the tithe in Israel for an inheritance, in return for their service which they perform, the service of the tent of meeting. The sons of Israel shall not come near the tent of meeting again, or they will bear sin and die. Numbers 18:21-22 (NAS95S)

Only the priests were allowed to come near the Tent of Meeting and only the High Priest could enter the Holy of Holies, the inner sanctum of the Tent of Meeting. They were warned to wash themselves first before entering (Exodus 30:19-21) and to put on the priestly clothes (Exodus 28:35). The priests were warned to hide their genitals with clothing (Exodus 28:42-43). They were not allowed to drink wine or "strong drink" before entering the Tent of Meeting (Leviticus 10:9). Only the high priest could enter the Holy of Holies and then only once a year on the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16:2).  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:00 am
aj OwO
Kill People for Working on the Sabbath
The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

"Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever."

Violating the Sabbath would for Israel be breach of contract. God calls it a sign between Him and them forever. Once they stopped keeping the Sabbath it would be a sign that they had fallen away from God, that they had disregarded both the blessing and the curses of the covenant. For public prevention (to prevent it from catching on and all of Israel coming under judgement) anyone working on the Sabbath was to be put to death.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:12 am
aj OwO
Kill Sons of Sinners
Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

Read the verse again. "Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants."

Their fathers sins were also their sins. Their fathers were tyrants, and so are they, given the opportunity. You learn from your parents. Contextually Isaiah is talking about Babylon, and many of the kings of Babylon were terrible tyrants doing what they pleased. If they wanted someone dead, they were dead. They had absolute authority, and answered to no one.

Isaiah 14:4
4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!

In October 539 b.c Babylon fell.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:29 am
aj OwO
God Will Kill Children
The glory of Israel will fly away like a bird, for your children will die at birth or perish in the womb or never even be conceived. Even if your children do survive to grow up, I will take them from you. It will be a terrible day when I turn away and leave you alone. I have watched Israel become as beautiful and pleasant as Tyre. But now Israel will bring out her children to be slaughtered." O LORD, what should I request for your people? I will ask for wombs that don't give birth and breasts that give no milk. The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels. The people of Israel are stricken. Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children." (Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

"Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit."

They had leaders who were supposed to lead the people as instructed by God but were rebellious against Him. The people were committing grievous evil. They had fallen as a nation into pagan worship, likely of Moabite deities and they were probably doing the things God had punished the nations around them for when Israel received the land.

Hosea 10:8
The high places of wickedness will be destroyed-- it is the sin of Israel. Thorns and thistles will grow up and cover their altars. Then they will say to the mountains, "Cover us!" and to the hills, "Fall on us!"

High places, very simply, were places of worship on elevated pieces of ground or raised altars in low land such as a valley. High places were originally dedicated to idol worship (Numbers 33:52; Leviticus 26:30) especially among the Moabites (Isaiah 16:12).  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:18 am
aj OwO

Kill Men, Women, and Children
"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Ezekiel 9 is judgement on idolaters. Those not marked are covenant breakers and are leading the people astray.

Reading further:

Ezekiel 9: 9-11
9 He answered me, “The sin of the people of Israel and Judah is exceedingly great; the land is full of bloodshed and the city is full of injustice. They say, ‘The Lord has forsaken the land; the Lord does not see.’ 10 So I will not look on them with pity or spare them, but I will bring down on their own heads what they have done.”

11 Then the man in linen with the writing kit at his side brought back word, saying, “I have done as you commanded.

"The land is full of bloodshed and the city full of injustice."

Ezekiel 9: 4
“Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it.”

So we see that those who did not receive the mark did not care about the awful things that happened in Jerusalem. They couldn't care less, or they participated in them. Perhaps they taught their children their wicked practices. We don't really know but I think it is safe to assume so.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:22 am
Garland-Green
aj OwO
Kill Sons of Sinners
Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

Read the verse again. "Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants."

Their fathers sins were also their sins. Their fathers were tyrants, and so are they, given the opportunity. You learn from your parents. Contextually Isaiah is talking about Babylon, and many of the kings of Babylon were terrible tyrants doing what they pleased. If they wanted someone dead, they were dead. They had absolute authority, and answered to no one.

Isaiah 14:4
4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!

In October 539 b.c Babylon fell.

i read it, they are killing children for what their fathers did. i fail to see how that is ok.

we don't punish the children of murders or other terrible men for their father's crimes today do we?  

aj OwO

Sparkly Flashback

12,550 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Carl 200

aj OwO

Sparkly Flashback

12,550 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Carl 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:23 am
Garland-Green
aj OwO
Kill People for Working on the Sabbath
The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

"Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever."

Violating the Sabbath would for Israel be breach of contract. God calls it a sign between Him and them forever. Once they stopped keeping the Sabbath it would be a sign that they had fallen away from God, that they had disregarded both the blessing and the curses of the covenant. For public prevention (to prevent it from catching on and all of Israel coming under judgement) anyone working on the Sabbath was to be put to death.

don't even go out and pick up sticks!

though i am amused by the "sabbath day" appliances that people come up with rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:54 pm
aj OwO
God Will Kill the Children of Sinners
If even then you remain hostile toward me and refuse to obey, I will inflict you with seven more disasters for your sins. I will release wild animals that will kill your children and destroy your cattle, so your numbers will dwindle and your roads will be deserted. (Leviticus 26:21-22 NLT)

"If even then you remain hostile to me and refuse to obey..."

Punishment becomes more and more severe and people know they are being punished by God yet they won't turn from their evil and be forgiven. They would rather curse God and continue in evil.

Revelation 16:11
and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done.

God doesn't just punish. He also rewards.All of these points that you brought up you only mentioned verses where you thought God was treating people unfairly and are only dealing with punishement. Do you know about the blessings He promised Israel?

Leviticus 26:1-13

Reward for Obedience
26 “‘Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the Lord your God.

2 “‘Observe my Sabbaths and have reverence for my sanctuary. I am the Lord.

3 “‘If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, 4 I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees their fruit. 5 Your threshing will continue until grape harvest and the grape harvest will continue until planting, and you will eat all the food you want and live in safety in your land.

6 “‘I will grant peace in the land, and you will lie down and no one will make you afraid. I will remove wild beasts from the land, and the sword will not pass through your country. 7 You will pursue your enemies, and they will fall by the sword before you. 8 Five of you will chase a hundred, and a hundred of you will chase ten thousand, and your enemies will fall by the sword before you.

9 “‘I will look on you with favor and make you fruitful and increase your numbers, and I will keep my covenant with you. 10 You will still be eating last year’s harvest when you will have to move it out to make room for the new. 11 I will put my dwelling place[a] among you, and I will not abhor you. 12 I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people. 13 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt so that you would no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high.

God promised many blessings to Israel in the book of Deuteronomy if they would obey His commands. Many important blessings are listed together in Deuteronomy 28:1–14. They include the following:

1. Prominence above other nations: “If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth” (Deuteronomy 28:1).

2. Successful cities and farming: “You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country” (Deuteronomy 28:3).

3. Blessings of children, food, and livestock: “The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks” (Deuteronomy 28:4).

4. Protection and power against enemies: “The Lord will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven” (Deuteronomy 28:7).

5. Bountiful harvest of food: “The Lord will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The Lord your God will bless you in the land he is giving you” (Deuteronomy 28:8.).

6. Set apart as God’s holy people: “The Lord will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the Lord your God and walk in obedience to him” (Deuteronomy 28:9).

7. Feared by other nations: “Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they will fear you” (Deuteronomy 28:10).

8. Prosperity regarding family, food, and farm livestock: “The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you” (Deuteronomy 28:11).

9. Appropriate rain and favorable blessing upon their work, including freedom from debt: “The Lord will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none” (Deuteronomy 28:12).

10. Leadership among other people and nations: “The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom” (Deuteronomy 28:13). (Source)

Why would Israel, or anyone not want these blessings? Why venture into the areas that bring about judgement? Why complain about about the judgement when there was warning in advance? God gives life and is all-good and that is why I trust His judgement and I trust Him to do what is right though I may not always understand completely.

Did you know there are blessings available for you in Jesus Christ?

Ephesians 1:3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

Why not seize them through faith instead of actively looking for excuses to stay in rebellion?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 pm
aj OwO
More Rape and Baby Killing
Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Isaiah 13:19-22
19 Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms,
the pride and glory of the Babylonians,
will be overthrown by God
like Sodom and Gomorrah.
20 She will never be inhabited
or lived in through all generations;
there no nomads will pitch their tents,
there no shepherds will rest their flocks.
21 But desert creatures will lie there,
jackals will fill her houses;
there the owls will dwell,
and there the wild goats will leap about.
22 Hyenas will inhabit her strongholds,
jackals her luxurious palaces.
Her time is at hand,
and her days will not be prolonged.

Babylon is here likened to Sodom and Gomorrah. We know God doesn't destroy a city if there is ten righteous in it. God doesn't destroy the righteous with the unrighteous. God doesn't wipe out innocent nations.

Genesis 20:4-7
4 Now Abimelek had not gone near her, so he said, “Lord, will you destroy an innocent nation? 5 Did he not say to me, ‘She is my sister,’ and didn’t she also say, ‘He is my brother’? I have done this with a clear conscience and clean hands.”

6 Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her. 7 Now return the man’s wife, for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you will live. But if you do not return her, you may be sure that you and all who belong to you will die.”

So what then of the Children? It is far better to be dead than to follow in your parents evil footsteps. Everyone in Babylon had been a child at one point before they grew up. Imagine how long God's patience was watching generation after generation grow up and follow in their fathers footsteps.

Babylon was founded at some point prior to the reign of Sargon of Akkad (also known as Sargon the Great) who ruled from 2334-2279 B.C and claimed to have built temples at Babylon (other ancient sources seem to indicate that Sargon himself founded the city). Assyrians destroyed Babylon in 689 B.C.  
Christian apologetics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff