Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
Apologetics Resource: ProofThatGodExists.org

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Corvis Cross

Conservative Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:51 am
Proof That God Exists

Sye Ten Bruggencate's site. Guy I first heard presuppositional apologetics from.

... yes, I totally copied Garland with the layout of this post. Haha.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:28 pm
I like the idea of the website, but I found it hard (eventhough I'm a believer) to go through the questions correctly because "matter","logic",etc are not commonly discussed. Additionally, some people that use feeling more than logic will find it even harder. Maybe another way that is more practical to daily life will help.
But thanks for sharing this heart
And nice post layout btw! Haha  

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

Corvis Cross

Conservative Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:01 pm
Meili Kyumee Youichi
I like the idea of the website, but I found it hard (eventhough I'm a believer) to go through the questions correctly because "matter","logic",etc are not commonly discussed. Additionally, some people that use feeling more than logic will find it even harder. Maybe another way that is more practical to daily life will help.
It sounds like this was useful to you. If there are issues with your logic, it's good that this site can confront that and help you to learn to think more clearly through your worldview. Even believers can often operate more on emotion rather than logic (I brought that into my Christianity when I became a Christian, and God has gradually helped me to learn to think more critically and trust His Word over my feelings).

Rather than change the approach because it can be difficult to understand, why not instead learn the logic and reasoning behind the answers? These answers are devastating to the unbeliever's worldview, and take away any ammunition the unbeliever uses to attack Christ and His Word with. The unbeliever may not understand the argument themselves, but lack of critical thinking on the opposition's end does not make your argument a bad one.

Logic can certainly be learned, and as Christians we should be learning it. We should increase in knowledge (Philippians 1:9-11; 2 Peter 3:18; Psalm 119:66; Colossians 1:9; 2 Timothy 2:15). Learning to think critically is simply part of discernment: we can better discern truth from error. As Christians, we love the truth. I know it can seem overwhelming, but don't feel pressured: it doesn't have to happen over night, right? God works change in us all gradually, and as part of that gradual growth, we should gradually increase in knowledge as well, some perhaps more than others, if they are gifted in that area by God's grace.

I am happy to learn these things. If I don't understand, I can learn to, by God's grace. This apologetic is not only powerful, but has helped me to love God more, to realize just how absurd the unbeliever is when he attacks the Bible assuming laws of logic that he cannot even account for consistently within his own worldview. God's handiwork is truly obvious in everything, and the unbeliever really is without excuse for denying His existence, just as God says in Romans 1:18-32.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:09 am
Micah Seven Eighteen
Meili Kyumee Youichi
It sounds like this was useful to you. If there are issues with your logic, it's good that this site can confront that and help you to learn to think more clearly through your worldview. Even believers can often operate more on emotion rather than logic (I brought that into my Christianity when I became a Christian, and God has gradually helped me to learn to think more critically and trust His Word over my feelings).

Rather than change the approach because it can be difficult to understand, why not instead learn the logic and reasoning behind the answers? These answers are devastating to the unbeliever's worldview, and take away any ammunition the unbeliever uses to attack Christ and His Word with. The unbeliever may not understand the argument themselves, but lack of critical thinking on the opposition's end does not make your argument a bad one.

Logic can certainly be learned, and as Christians we should be learning it. We should increase in knowledge (Philippians 1:9-11; 2 Peter 3:18; Psalm 119:66; Colossians 1:9; 2 Timothy 2:15). Learning to think critically is simply part of discernment: we can better discern truth from error. As Christians, we love the truth. I know it can seem overwhelming, but don't feel pressured: it doesn't have to happen over night, right? God works change in us all gradually, and as part of that gradual growth, we should gradually increase in knowledge as well, some perhaps more than others, if they are gifted in that area by God's grace.

I am happy to learn these things. If I don't understand, I can learn to, by God's grace. This apologetic is not only powerful, but has helped me to love God more, to realize just how absurd the unbeliever is when he attacks the Bible assuming laws of logic that he cannot even account for consistently within his own worldview. God's handiwork is truly obvious in everything, and the unbeliever really is without excuse for denying His existence, just as God says in Romans 1:18-32.

Yes, you are right that I am able to practice more logic from the site.
Now, why is logic not made of matter? And if logic does not change ( which the site agrees) and matter does not change (so that there is no contradiction), how come they relate it with "you believe you are not going to die"? This doesn't make sense. I would really appreciate if you can explain this. Thank you  

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

Corvis Cross

Conservative Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:32 pm
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Micah Seven Eighteen
Meili Kyumee Youichi

Now, why is logic not made of matter? And if logic does not change ( which the site agrees) and matter does not change (so that there is no contradiction), how come they relate it with "you believe you are not going to die"? This doesn't make sense. I would really appreciate if you can explain this. Thank you
Is logic something you can touch? Can you handle it? Can you put it into a cup? I mean, where is it? Essentially, is logic material or immaterial?

The site is talking about the answers you gave when you said that logic is matter (I had to go on there and find out where it was at, haha) and that matter does not change. You yourself are matter and so if your claim is that matter does not change it would logically follow that you, being matter, could not die, as dying would indeed be a change. Does that make sense?

By the way, have you tried clicking "I Don't Care if Absolute Truth Exists"?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:36 pm
Hey! I recognize this!
Thanks again for recommending me to this, Micah.  

Silver-Mask

Friendly Phantom

10,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:18 am
Micah Seven Eighteen
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Micah Seven Eighteen
Meili Kyumee Youichi

Is logic something you can touch? Can you handle it? Can you put it into a cup? I mean, where is it? Essentially, is logic material or immaterial?

The site is talking about the answers you gave when you said that logic is matter (I had to go on there and find out where it was at, haha) and that matter does not change. You yourself are matter and so if your claim is that matter does not change it would logically follow that you, being matter, could not die, as dying would indeed be a change. Does that make sense?

Thanks! That is now making sense. They should have put your reasoning on the website, it is helpful.
Yes, I was shocked, I thought I pressed the wrong button or my browser has been hijacked. How come I ended up in Disneyland?? rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:53 am
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Micah Seven Eighteen
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Micah Seven Eighteen
Meili Kyumee Youichi

Thanks! That is now making sense. They should have put your reasoning on the website, it is helpful.
Yes, I was shocked, I thought I pressed the wrong button or my browser has been hijacked. How come I ended up in Disneyland?? rofl
You're welcome, sister. Some of my explanation, I learned from the guy who made the site. If you listen to him and guys like him, it should help you understand it better. They can be odd claims and if you haven't thought through them before, it can be difficult to grasp. I had a hard time at first really getting it, and didn't grasp it better until later on; definitely not when I was first introduced.

Haha. Yeah, Sye has a good sense of humor. That's why you get sent to Disneyland. Basically, if you click that button, you answer "I Don't Care if Absolute Truth Exists" so then it's like "Okay, may as well live in a fantasy world". You don't care about what's real, right?

When he was redoing his site, I was hoping he'd leave that part in. He assured me he would, and he certainly did. Haha.  

Corvis Cross

Conservative Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Corvis Cross

Conservative Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:55 am
Silver-Mask
Hey! I recognize this!
Thanks again for recommending me to this, Micah.
Sure thing, brother. God has used it to help me learn to think more critically and so I enjoy sharing it with my brothers and sisters, too.  
Christian apologetics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games