Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
So Much Hate and Hard Questions Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver-Mask

Friendly Phantom

10,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:33 pm
I've been searching for answers for a long time, to understand God. It was maybe last year or even the year before that a friend of mine had told me "you'll never fully understand God". It made me feel silly that I had tried in the first place, but still, I'm looking for answers for another reason now.
I've had personal experiences that help my faith take root and have taken wisdom from the Bible to help me grow.
None-the-less, I have questions that might be hard to answer. I've had Christians get angry at asking these questions when they can't answer then, and obviously Atheists too. I'm not trying to challenge faith, but there are some things that don't add up that I simply would like explained.
I'm this curious because many of my friends and loved ones aren't believers, and though I've experienced miracles and God's love first hand, it's not a reliable source to say "I saw this happen and have no proof".
So I dig to see what people hafta say to challenge Christians. I'm not looking for something to disprove God, but I wanna know why people don't believe in Him. I already have what I need to know He's there.

TL;DR I'm insanely curious.

A few things that strike up controversy are God's acceptance of homosexuals, the Bible condoning the murder of non-believers, how much research is done into a miracle to classify it as a divine miracle as opposed to a medical miracle, the credibility of the Bible, and even straight to proof of God.
Keep in mind that when I ask these questions, I'm trying to answer them in a way that an Atheist would be more inclined to accept. Quoting the Bible and going on personal experiences might not do it for them since the Bible isn't the goldmine that we see it as and personal experiences aren't always credible sources.
When I say I'm a Christian to most Atheists lately, they register me as a crazy bigot who follows a book of fairy tales and love to hate on me for it.
I'm gradually learning more, but finding the right answers is slow work and I'm a slow reader. Thankfully, I was recommended to this guild by someone using the username "Micah Seven Eighteen" who provided me with LOTS of research material. The obvious source would be the Bible, but I've asked if there was a better way to understand the Bible rather than just know the words. One suggestion was coming here!
At the time of this message, I'm currently very depressed though, so I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to do much of anything lately, even look into the research. Fortunately, some material is uplifting me enough to at least seek out answers from others in this guild.

A bit off topic, I'll be honest with something hard to admit in a Christian Guild; I haven't been to church in months. Yes, the treasure trove of knowledge and comfort I seek has been waiting for me to come back, and I haven't done it.
You know that moment when you know God is trying to tell you something? Oh yeah, he's been sending me opportunities and clear messages about three times a week AT LEAST.

TL; still DR

Ultimately, I guess I have two topics now;
1 - If I ask questions here, will anyone help me find answers?
2 - I need to get back to church, and I know this. God is pushing me to go, so why won't I? (Yes, I'm very aware I might not like the answer.)

Sorry for being so scatter-brained.

EDIT: I just wanna be clear that any research I've done is not professional. I'm no scholar and I'm very ignorant.
I merely have searched sites, went to a Christian school, and learned things from church leaders. So again, I'm very ignorant.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:22 am
Your friend was right that we can't fully understand God, but you are right to search for answers. He has revealed a lot about himself to us and I believe he would not do this unless he intends for us to understand these things about him. He wants us to ask questions if not there would be no answers.

I don't think anyone of us here can answer all your questions, but we will give it our best. smile It may be that they perceived your questions as an attempt to stomp them, but I see that you are honestly wanting answers and we as Christians should do as best as we can in answering questions that are asked. I truly believe that though we may not have all the answers, there are answers to everything.

Those are some good topics of controversy. Most of them have an answer in God's authority, right to authority and right to demand certain things based on his holy holy holy character (Isaiah 6:3). Someone once said if we concede to not use the Bible for defense, for instruction, for building up and for correction - we are giving up on God's word and depending solely on our own abilities and strength. It is part of our armor.

Ephesians 6:17
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Anyone truly wanting to follow God in Jesus will have a tough time. You can expect people to mock you. You can expect them to misrepresent you. To lie about you. To misunderstand you. To even want you dead.

John 15:20
Remember what I told you: 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.

You don't have to be a scholar to be wise.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

Proverbs 2:6
For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

James 3:17
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Pickled Cactus

Enthusiastic Astronomer

20,125 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Energy Generator 250
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am
                I can really relate to your situation! I was seeking answers for pretty much the same reasons. One of my favourite blogs is BadChristian, which addresses a lot of these issues in such an easy to read way. For example, Does God Give a Damn If You're Gay?
                I was worrying a lot about these endless questions before I realised that they actually are endless. You could go on arguing back and forth and not change their minds (it's not impossible, but we can try our best, then it's up to them and God).
                Hope it helps. (:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:08 am
Garland-Green
Your friend was right that we can't fully understand God, but you are right to search for answers. He has revealed a lot about himself to us and I believe he would not do this unless he intends for us to understand these things about him. He wants us to ask questions if not there would be no answers.

I don't think anyone of us here can answer all your questions, but we will give it our best. smile It may be that they perceived your questions as an attempt to stomp them, but I see that you are honestly wanting answers and we as Christians should do as best as we can in answering questions that are asked. I truly believe that though we may not have all the answers, there are answers to everything.

Those are some good topics of controversy. Most of them have an answer in God's authority, right to authority and right to demand certain things based on his holy holy holy character (Isaiah 6:3). Someone once said if we concede to not use the Bible for defense, for instruction, for building up and for correction - we are giving up on God's word and depending solely on our own abilities and strength. It is part of our armor.

Ephesians 6:17
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Anyone truly wanting to follow God in Jesus will have a tough time. You can expect people to mock you. You can expect them to misrepresent you. To lie about you. To misunderstand you. To even want you dead.

John 15:20
Remember what I told you: 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.

You don't have to be a scholar to be wise.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

Proverbs 2:6
For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

James 3:17
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.
I kinda figured that's how others took my questions, I just really don't mean to come off so rude.
In any case, it's refreshing to know I can ask questions more comfortably. Fair warning, I'll try asking questions back at anyone to rule out any further questions.

Frankly I'm a little shaky from not having some answers that've been asked or even claims that have been thrust in my face with no citation.
Makes it kind of ironic. I hear many non-believers say that we believe too easily when we have no proof, but as soon as I answer a question I hear all-too-often "we just haven't learned enough from science yet" or "that's open for interpretation".

I agree that the right scripture at the right time can make an Atheist think. Why wouldn't it? It's the written word of God. Too often do I hear people call the Bible a book of fairy tales though, and if they only believe it to be such, then won't they dismiss any scripture as passages from a fairy tale?
Frankly the most ideal way to do it would be to know the whole Bible word-for-word so I could quote it in substitution for things I was already going to say; my answers, His word. Kinda like what you're doing, but leaving the location of the scripture at the end of my sentence. I feel some tend to tune out after hearing the name of a book in the Bible. I guess prejudice goggles get put on at the name of "Jesus" or "Bible" in general though, huh?

Ugh, I don't think there's a single scripture that says anything about it being easy to be a Christian, huh? lol
Not even just with sharing Christ, but is it just me or do we as humans just cringe at truth a whole lot? I suppose choosing immediate comfort over immediate clarity can be tempting at times though.  

Silver-Mask

Friendly Phantom

10,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200

Silver-Mask

Friendly Phantom

10,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:27 am
Pickled Cactus
                I can really relate to your situation! I was seeking answers for pretty much the same reasons. One of my favourite blogs is BadChristian, which addresses a lot of these issues in such an easy to read way. For example, Does God Give a Damn If You're Gay?
                I was worrying a lot about these endless questions before I realised that they actually are endless. You could go on arguing back and forth and not change their minds (it's not impossible, but we can try our best, then it's up to them and God).
                Hope it helps. (:
Actually that "Does God Give A Damn If You're Gay" article helped give me some perspective for other friends of mine too. Namely how it highlights that a gay lifestyle is a sin, but so is overeating, alcoholism, and other vices. They're equally weighing us down. Sadly for the homosexuals, they've got a rough road ahead of them since they've naturally got an extra vice to deal with. I hope more Christians can show them love from God and themselves instead of the gay-bashing they receive.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:39 am
Silver-Mask
Pickled Cactus
                Hope it helps. (:
Actually that "Does God Give A Damn If You're Gay" article helped give me some perspective for other friends of mine too. Namely how it highlights that a gay lifestyle is a sin, but so is overeating, alcoholism, and other vices. They're equally weighing us down. Sadly for the homosexuals, they've got a rough road ahead of them since they've naturally got an extra vice to deal with. I hope more Christians can show them love from God and themselves instead of the gay-bashing they receive.

Yep, it's like we shouldn't encourage homosexuality, but treating them like their sins are worse than others is plain hypocritical. D:

Pickled Cactus

Enthusiastic Astronomer

20,125 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Energy Generator 250

Wildear19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:20 am
Silver-Mask

I highly recommend the books, The case for Faith by Lee Strobel
I don't have enough faith to be an atheist Norman Geisler and Frank Turk

and while I haven't read these yet I believe they will benefit you

Who Made God? And Answers to Over 100 Other Tough Questions of Faith by Ravi Zacharias, General Editor, with Norman Geisler

The Case for the Real Jesus by Lee Strobel  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:45 am
Wildear19
Silver-Mask

I highly recommend the books, The case for Faith by Lee Strobel
I don't have enough faith to be an atheist Norman Geisler and Frank Turk

and while I haven't read these yet I believe they will benefit you

Who Made God? And Answers to Over 100 Other Tough Questions of Faith by Ravi Zacharias, General Editor, with Norman Geisler

The Case for the Real Jesus by Lee Strobel
I actually have trouble reading, so I'm listening to I Don't Have Enough Have To Be An Atheist
Thanks for the other three suggestions too!  

Silver-Mask

Friendly Phantom

10,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200

Silver-Mask

Friendly Phantom

10,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:38 pm
Oh! Here are some important questions I've been meaning to ask.

- What is the stance on a homosexual raising a child?

- What are the requirements to a miracle? I though the Vatican was rather strict on proving each miracle can't be scientifically explained, but I've just heard that's not only not the case, but Pope Francis also made the requirements less strict. Is that true? I have a hard time finding any evidence of the Pope telling people to just take his word for it when the Vatican finds a miracle, but I also have trouble finding the requirements to a miracle.

- Some people have a hard time believing God is truly forgiving. Some even feel undeserving of his love.
Particularly a friend of mine who struggles with suicidal thoughts. I'm familiar with with such misery, but I can't imagine dealing with it without His love.
I don't really know how to approach him on the subject because he, unfortunately, doesn't seem to want to be helped with his depression.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:28 pm
Pickled Cactus
                Hope it helps. (:
Odd that the writer doesn't seem to care about his use of foul language at all, which is indeed sinful (Colossians 3:8; Ephesians 4:29; Ephesians 5:4). Further, the article seems to try to confuse some things Scripture teaches plainly. He makes it seem like, if we have sin we are not aware of (or perhaps even struggle with), this is equal to knowing what a sin is and then refusing to repent. Considering his understanding of salvation, he is ignoring texts such as these:
_

Matthew 7:21-23

21“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’
_

1 John 3:4-10

4Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. 5You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. 6No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. 7Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; 8the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.
_

According to what the writer of that article has written, these texts can't be true: so long as you believe in Jesus, your salvation can't be called into question, even if you are practicing lawlessness. That isn't what the Bible says. The writer is correct that those who believe in Jesus are justified on no other basis but the cross, however, he ignores another very valuable part of salvation that the Bible does indeed speak of: if we have genuine faith, good works will come as evidence of that (James 2:14-26).

The writer seems to say on the one hand "Homosexuality is sin" but then on the other "Someone can practice it as a lifestyle but still be a Christian". Christians fall into sin and struggle with sin, but they most certainly do not drink down sin as if it were water. Paul Washer rightly said "If you don't have a new relationship with sin, you don't have a new relationship with God".

Check out this Gospel tract, particularly The Basis of Genuine Assurance and Test of Biblical Assurance.
_

http://heartcrymissionary.com/the-gospel
_

Here is a link to the video with the quote I mentioned from Paul Washer. I think it would also be helpful for this question. It's only 6 minutes and 37 seconds long.
_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngSq7mABZGE
_

Also, this video is one he is very well known for and could be useful on this subject of true conversion (which is related to God's acceptance of homosexuals, etc.) Video is much longer, being 58 minutes and 56 seconds.
_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cncEhCvrVgQ
_

If you want to know about some background info for The Shocking Youth Message, here is a video that's 11 minutes and 44 seconds.
_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT1dlf42KdY
_

One more. Yes, I think all of these things are useful to help understand these things! Haha. Anyway, this would be Paul Washer's testimony. It's 15 minutes and 43 seconds.
_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tms4NuPVNpo
_

I hope all of these things are useful. Be so careful of false teachers, because there are a great many, many who even twist the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ into license for sin.  

Corvis Cross

Conservative Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Corvis Cross

Conservative Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:58 pm
Silver-Mask
Oh! Here are some important questions I've been meaning to ask.

- What are the requirements to a miracle? I though the Vatican was rather strict on proving each miracle can't be scientifically explained, but I've just heard that's not only not the case, but Pope Francis also made the requirements less strict. Is that true? I have a hard time finding any evidence of the Pope telling people to just take his word for it when the Vatican finds a miracle, but I also have trouble finding the requirements to a miracle.

- Some people have a hard time believing God is truly forgiving. Some even feel undeserving of his love.
Particularly a friend of mine who struggles with suicidal thoughts. I'm familiar with with such misery, but I can't imagine dealing with it without His love.
I don't really know how to approach him on the subject because he, unfortunately, doesn't seem to want to be helped with his depression.
_

First, I think what we should ask is "How does God intend for children to be raised?" God's intent is for children to be raised by a father and mother (Genesis 1:26-28 ). This is impossible in a homosexual relationship. There is a lot to think about as far as what marriage is, what is parenting, etc.

I would think that, based on what we do see in the Scriptures, considering what marriage is, what parenting is, what adoption is, etc. there is no warrant to allow it. Would it even be adoption (what would the child be "adopted" to?) according to how God would define it? It's a lot to consider and look into. Keep in mind that, by suggesting this, in the end I would suggest that no one should raise or adopt children unless they are believers and married, which, though it is all totally legal currently, should be changed.

Further, if we consider theonomy, another dilemma rises up: homosexualty is punishable by the death penalty. If that's the case, it's like asking "What is the stance on a murderer raising a child?" The murderer should be put to death, not allowed to remain living to raise children.

There are many things to think about and study the Scriptures over concerning these subjects, but personally, I conclude that there is no warrant for homosexuals raising children Biblically. If anyone disagrees with me based on the Scriptures, feel free to share them with me so we can look them over together, and perhaps one or both of us will be corrected on this subject.

_

_

If you mean miracles period, I'd think it is simply what is not natural, to give a vague, quick definition. Conversion, for example, is miraculous, as God changes the natural man that hates God so that now he desires God willingly. If you mean miracle workers, I'm a cessationist open to being wrong about continuationism (I feel the same way about theonomy, and am learning about it, but I'm making mention of it because, so far, it does seem to be supported by Scripture). Though, if indeed I am wrong, the way we qualify miracles is by testing them to the Bible.

The Vatican and the Pope have nothing to do with Christianity, but instead are a part of the Roman Catholic cult. They teach that we are saved by faith and works, falling into the same error we see in Galatians: adding something to faith as the only requirement to be saved. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are saved by faith alone in Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice on the cross, which would concern our justification, but we will do good works by God's grace, if indeed our faith is a genuine one, which would concern our sanctification. We cannot confuse the two: our sanctification does not merit our justification, but our justification fuels our sanctification.

By the way, miracles will not convince unbelievers in and of themselves, according to the Scripture, so I wouldn't put too much weight on them anyway in an apologetic sense. (Luke 16:19-31; John 12:37; John 6).

_

It is impossible for anyone to believe God is forgiving apart from God changing their heart. A man must be born again in order to repent and believe. So, what do we do then? What do we say, if they literally cannot believe it in and of themselves?

This is what God tells us to do:
_

Romans 10:17

17So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
_

Preach the Gospel faithfully. Preach the truth of man's condition before God and how, due to our sin, we are deserving of God's wrath for an eternity. To those concerned about this, who believe you and see no way out? Preach the truth of God's love for sinful men, the cross of Jesus and that, if anyone will repent of their sins and put their trust in Jesus Christ? They will be saved from the wrath they deserve.

You can't make anyone believe that. No matter how hard you try to manipulate men with careful words and persuasive speech. Instead, you must simply go and be faithful, speaking these truths, and trust God. The preaching of the Gospel is always 100% effective: either God will use it to save men and glorify His name by redeeming undeserving sinners or He will hold it against them in the Judgment and glorify His name by demonstrating His justice against wicked men who rejected the kind offer of His glorious grace.

Trust your Bible, man. Trust it. Sola Scriptura. Let that be the ultimate authority over everything.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:05 pm
Micah Seven Eighteen
_

First, I think what we should ask is "How does God intend for children to be raised?" God's intent is for children to be raised by a father and mother (Genesis 1:26-28 ). This is impossible in a homosexual relationship. There is a lot to think about as far as what marriage is, what is parenting, etc.

I would think that, based on what we do see in the Scriptures, considering what marriage is, what parenting is, what adoption is, etc. there is no warrant to allow it. Would it even be adoption (what would the child be "adopted" to?) according to how God would define it? It's a lot to consider and look into. Keep in mind that, by suggesting this, in the end I would suggest that no one should raise or adopt children unless they are believers and married, which, though it is all totally legal currently, should be changed.

Further, if we consider theonomy, another dilemma rises up: homosexualty is punishable by the death penalty. If that's the case, it's like asking "What is the stance on a murderer raising a child?" The murderer should be put to death, not allowed to remain living to raise children.

There are many things to think about and study the Scriptures over concerning these subjects, but personally, I conclude that there is no warrant for homosexuals raising children Biblically. If anyone disagrees with me based on the Scriptures, feel free to share them with me so we can look them over together, and perhaps one or both of us will be corrected on this subject.

_

_

If you mean miracles period, I'd think it is simply what is not natural, to give a vague, quick definition. Conversion, for example, is miraculous, as God changes the natural man that hates God so that now he desires God willingly. If you mean miracle workers, I'm a cessationist open to being wrong about continuationism (I feel the same way about theonomy, and am learning about it, but I'm making mention of it because, so far, it does seem to be supported by Scripture). Though, if indeed I am wrong, the way we qualify miracles is by testing them to the Bible.

The Vatican and the Pope have nothing to do with Christianity, but instead are a part of the Roman Catholic cult. They teach that we are saved by faith and works, falling into the same error we see in Galatians: adding something to faith as the only requirement to be saved. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are saved by faith alone in Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice on the cross, which would concern our justification, but we will do good works by God's grace, if indeed our faith is a genuine one, which would concern our sanctification. We cannot confuse the two: our sanctification does not merit our justification, but our justification fuels our sanctification.

By the way, miracles will not convince unbelievers in and of themselves, according to the Scripture, so I wouldn't put too much weight on them anyway in an apologetic sense. (Luke 16:19-31; John 12:37; John 6).

_

It is impossible for anyone to believe God is forgiving apart from God changing their heart. A man must be born again in order to repent and believe. So, what do we do then? What do we say, if they literally cannot believe it in and of themselves?

_

_

Preach the Gospel faithfully. Preach the truth of man's condition before God and how, due to our sin, we are deserving of God's wrath for an eternity. To those concerned about this, who believe you and see no way out? Preach the truth of God's love for sinful men, the cross of Jesus and that, if anyone will repent of their sins and put their trust in Jesus Christ? They will be saved from the wrath they deserve.

You can't make anyone believe that. No matter how hard you try to manipulate men with careful words and persuasive speech. Instead, you must simply go and be faithful, speaking these truths, and trust God. The preaching of the Gospel is always 100% effective: either God will use it to save men and glorify His name by redeeming undeserving sinners or He will hold it against them in the Judgment and glorify His name by demonstrating His justice against wicked men who rejected the kind offer of His glorious grace.

Trust your Bible, man. Trust it. Sola Scriptura. Let that be the ultimate authority over everything.
Wait, I'm lost now. I've been trying to lead my homosexual friends towards Christ, but this doesn't sound like homosexuals really have much room to do much of anything in the way of love. I get they can't sleep with each other, but they can't raise kids and must be put to death?
Genesis 1:26-28 doesn't say anything about parenting, just breeding plentifully. How is parenting taken from that?

I also don't understand how the Catholic Church is a cult not dealing with Christianity.

I also appreciate the great answers. Please bear with the questions.  

Silver-Mask

Friendly Phantom

10,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200

Corvis Cross

Conservative Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Informer 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:38 pm
Silver-Mask
Micah Seven Eighteen
_

_

_

_

_

_

Wait, I'm lost now. I've been trying to lead my homosexual friends towards Christ, but this doesn't sound like homosexuals really have much room to do much of anything in the way of love. I get they can't sleep with each other, but they can't raise kids and must be put to death?
Genesis 1:26-28 doesn't say anything about parenting, just breeding plentifully. How is parenting taken from that?

I also don't understand how the Catholic Church is a cult not dealing with Christianity.

I also appreciate the great answers. Please bear with the questions.
I am suggesting they can't raise children, yes. I am open to being wrong on that, but based on what I said before, I don't believe I am. If you have a friend engaging in homosexual sin who wants to have children, they are perfectly welcome to stop engaging in homosexual sin and get married and have children or adopt if they cannot have any.

Concerning Genesis 1:26-28, would you agree that procreation is a part of parenting? I never made the claim that Genesis 1:26-28 prescribes how we should raise children, but instead here is what I said:

"First, I think what we should ask is "How does God intend for children to be raised?" God's intent is for children to be raised by a father and mother (Genesis 1:26-28 ). This is impossible in a homosexual relationship. There is a lot to think about as far as what marriage is, what is parenting, etc."

I quoted Genesis 1:26-28 to show that God intended for children to be raised by a mother and father. This is the beginning of his creation, man and woman are created, and they are meant to procreate. This would show that God's initial intention is that children come from the man and woman's procreation and of course, are to be raised by their mother and father.

Concerning the Roman church: if they teach a false Gospel, how can they be considered Christianity?

No worries, man. Questions are good. Don't be worried to ask them. If it causes conflict, that can and should be handled in a loving way: we should be able to disagree in a loving way, particularly with believers, but even with unbelievers. You don't have to worry about offending me by questioning something I say. No one should.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:02 pm
Micah Seven Eighteen
I am suggesting they can't raise children, yes. I am open to being wrong on that, but based on what I said before, I don't believe I am. If you have a friend engaging in homosexual sin who wants to have children, they are perfectly welcome to stop engaging in homosexual sin and get married and have children or adopt if they cannot have any.

Concerning Genesis 1:26-28, would you agree that procreation is a part of parenting? I never made the claim that Genesis 1:26-28 prescribes how we should raise children, but instead here is what I said:

"First, I think what we should ask is "How does God intend for children to be raised?" God's intent is for children to be raised by a father and mother (Genesis 1:26-28 ). This is impossible in a homosexual relationship. There is a lot to think about as far as what marriage is, what is parenting, etc."

I quoted Genesis 1:26-28 to show that God intended for children to be raised by a mother and father. This is the beginning of his creation, man and woman are created, and they are meant to procreate. This would show that God's initial intention is that children come from the man and woman's procreation and of course, are to be raised by their mother and father.

Concerning the Roman church: if they teach a false Gospel, how can they be considered Christianity?

No worries, man. Questions are good. Don't be worried to ask them. If it causes conflict, that can and should be handled in a loving way: we should be able to disagree in a loving way, particularly with believers, but even with unbelievers. You don't have to worry about offending me by questioning something I say. No one should.
Oh, I agree. It's a strange moral confusion. On one hand I wanna accept them, but on the other it's stated that if they sleep with one another, it's a sin.
Ugh, my head is running at a million miles an hour wanting to find a way to convince others they're not damned because of how they were born.

Honestly, I don't see the act of conception as a role in parenting. The responsibility is there, but I see parenting as bringing up a youth into better wisdom and health.
After all, Joseph wasn't Jesus' biological father, but I believe he raised him as his son.

I think my confusion lies in the fact that I'm unaware of how the Catholic church spreads false Gospel. My grandpa is very devoted to the Catholic church, and though he's also very proud, he's also shown acceptance to any truth.
For a while he didn't believe Jesus spoke with God in the Bible. He thought I was trying to imply Jesus was talking to himself or a split personality, so that got concerning for a few minutes.
I've seen my own cousin challenge the Mormon faith for missing several books, so that makes me worry about them now too.

Thanks for the reassurance. Frankly, it's been giving me some anxiety after I leave questions. So it's still taking me time to relax when asking these things.
Comforting to know I can get some other perspective without backlash!  

Silver-Mask

Friendly Phantom

10,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:20 am
Silver-Mask
Micah Seven Eighteen

Oh, I agree. It's a strange moral confusion. On one hand I wanna accept them, but on the other it's stated that if they sleep with one another, it's a sin.
Ugh, my head is running at a million miles an hour wanting to find a way to convince others they're not damned because of how they were born.

Honestly, I don't see the act of conception as a role in parenting. The responsibility is there, but I see parenting as bringing up a youth into better wisdom and health.
After all, Joseph wasn't Jesus' biological father, but I believe he raised him as his son.

I think my confusion lies in the fact that I'm unaware of how the Catholic church spreads false Gospel. My grandpa is very devoted to the Catholic church, and though he's also very proud, he's also shown acceptance to any truth.
For a while he didn't believe Jesus spoke with God in the Bible. He thought I was trying to imply Jesus was talking to himself or a split personality, so that got concerning for a few minutes.
I've seen my own cousin challenge the Mormon faith for missing several books, so that makes me worry about them now too.

Thanks for the reassurance. Frankly, it's been giving me some anxiety after I leave questions. So it's still taking me time to relax when asking these things.
Comforting to know I can get some other perspective without backlash!

I wouldn't worry about your cousins if the reason you are worried is because they are rejecting The Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormons when compared to the Bible falls short, and is not comparable by a long shot. The subtitle to the Book of Mormon is; “Another Testament of Jesus Christ”

If both the Bible and the Book of Mormon are inspired by God, then reason demands that they must never contradict one another. No book from God’s hand will contain factual mistakes because He does not make mistakes. By definition, He is omniscient and perfect in all His ways (cf. Psalm 139:1-6; 1 John 3:20). The truth is, however, they do contradict one another.

Bible
Church began in 33 AD Mt 16:18 Acts 2
"disciples were first called Christians in Antioch" 40AD, Acts 11:26
Jesus is only head of church Col 1:18
"Jesus was born in Bethlehem" Mt 2:1 + Mt 21:17
3 hours of darkness at crucifixion Lk 23:44
God is spirit without flesh &bones Jn 4:24; Lk 24:39

Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants
church began in 147BC, Mosiah 18:17
Alma 46:13-16 supposedly written in 73BC refers to Nephites as Christians.
Joe Smith is head of Mormon church D&C 28:2-6
"He shall be born of Mary at Jerusalem" Alma 7:10
3 Days of darkness at crucifixion Hel 14:20-27
God has flesh and bones like man: D&C 130:22

Terminology Differences
LDS - teach that everyone pre-existed - we all exist eternally.
Bible - Only Christ pre-existed - not man. (John 8:58; Col 1:17) We didn't have a spiritual existence prior to earth. (I Cor 15:46)

The Fall (of Man)
LDS - teach it brought mortality and physical death - not fallen nature - believe Adam was given two conflicting commandments and was supposed to fall.
Bible - God tempts no one. (James 1:13-14). Man is basically sinful. (Rom. 8:5-8; I Cor 2:14)

Sin
LDS - Specific acts - not man's basic nature.
Bible - We are in spiritual rebellion until conversion. (Eph 2:3; Rom 5:6). We do not just commit sins - we are basically sinful. (Matt 1:21)

Repentance
LDS - Repent of individual acts - not sinful nature.
Bible - Must repent of basic rebellion. (Jer. 17:9; Luke 5:32)

Atonement - Salvation By Grace
LDS - believe Christ's death brought release from grave and universal resurrection - Salvation by grace is universal resurrection - beyond this, man must earn his place in heaven.
Bible - Salvation is not universal but based on belief of each individual. (Rom 1:16; Heb 9:28; Eph 2:8-9)

Redeemed
LDS - from mortal death only - not sinful rebellion or spiritual death.
Bible - Christ redeems from more than mortal death - redeems us from spiritual death. (Rom 6:23; Eph 2:1)

Gospel
LDS - Mormon Church system and doctrines.
Bible - Message of Christ's death and resurrection as atonement for our sins. (I Cor 15:1-4; Gal 1:8.)

Born again
LDS - Baptism into LDS Church.
Bible - We are spiritually dead until our spiritual rebirth. (I Pet 1:23; II Cor 5:17)

True Church
LDS - Only Mormon Church - true church taken from earth until Joseph Smith restored it.
Bible - As a born-again Christian, we are part of God's Church. (I Cor 12:12-14; Matt 18:19-20; Matt 16:18.)

Authority - priesthood
LDS - believe only LDS have authority to baptize, ordain, etc - have two-part system of priesthood - Melchizedek and Aaronic.
Bible - Christ brought end to Aaronic priesthood and is the ONLY High Priest after manner of Melchizedek. (Heb 5:9; II Tim 2:2)

Baptism
LDS - Must be performed by LDS priesthood.
Bible - Emphasis is on Believer - not priesthood authority. (Mark 16:15-16)

Sons Of God
LDS - We are all literal spirit children of God.
Bible - We become a child of God at conversion. (I John 1:12)

Eternal Life
LDS - Exaltation in Celestial Kingdom - ability to bear children in heaven - must have a Temple Marriage.
Bible - Not limited to certain ones in heaven - no mention of parenthood or temple marriage but is given to ALL Christians. (I John 5:12-13)

Immortality
LDS - Universal gift - ability to live forever but not Eternal Life.
Bible - Makes no distinction between immortality and eternal life. (II Tim 1:10)

Heaven
LDS - Divided into three kingdoms - Celestial, Terrestrial and Telestial - place for almost everyone (misuse of I Cor 15:40-41)
Bible - Only mentions two conditions - everlasting punishment or life eternal. (Matt. 25:31- 46)

Kingdom Of God
LDS - Means Celestial Kingdom - only those in Celestial Kingdom are in God's presence. Those in Terrestrial or Telestial Kingdoms aren't in presence of Father.
Bible - All redeemed will be in God's presence. (Rev. 21:1-3). All believers are part of Kingdom. (Matt. 13:41-43)

Hell
LDS - Hell as an institution is eternal - inmates come and go as in jail - don't spend eternity there - stay until one has paid debt to God.
Bible - No mention of people getting out of Hell. (Rev. 21:8; Matt 13:24-43 and 47-50; Luke 16:26)

Godhead
LDS - Father God is a resurrected man with physical body, Christ is a separate resurrected man with physical body. Holy Ghost is a separate man with a spiritual body - 3 totally separate Gods.
Bible - God not a man. (Num 23:19). Only one God. (Isa 43:10-11; 44:6; 45:21-22). Father is Spirit and Invisible (John 4:24; I Tim 1:17)

Holy Ghost
LDS - Is a separate God from Father and Son - different from Holy Spirit - Holy Ghost is a person - Holy Spirit is influence from Father and not personal.
Bible - Same Greek word used for Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit (I Cor 3:16 and 6:19).

Virgin Birth
LDS - believe God, as a resurrected, physical man, is literal Father of Jesus - same manner in which men are conceived on earth - believe Matt 1:18 in error.
Bible - says Mary was ". . . with child of the Holy Ghost." (Matt 1:18.)

Video
The Bible vs. The Book of Mormon  
Christian apologetics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas